Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannygogo1

Pipe in the middle of bath tear down

grannygogo1
10 years ago
The contractor went to tear down a wall in a bath renovation and found this pipe. He thinks it goes all the way to the basement. The bath is on the second floor and the house is at least 100 yrs old. Any ideas on what the pipe is and what can be done with it. It is right in the middle of what would be the new bathroom.

Comments (13)

• Yolanda Ruiz
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Just a question: could you tell me what is written in the angle, between the bathtube and the towels? I cannot read it.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    it could be built back into a wall again if it's imoveable ?! could it be a lightning rod ?! does it go through to downstairs too ?!
  • Yolanda Ruiz
    10 years ago
    If the bath is high enough you could tilt and move the pipe next to the closer wall and add a false ceilint, but you'll be forced to move this pipe until the basement, so it depends on the distribution of the floor downstairs.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    I think the first thing to find out would be... what the pipe is for and is it still necessary to the house.
  • PRO
    Certified Interiors
    10 years ago
    Was the original layout a smaller bathroom? Could the pipe be the stack pipe?
  • Delfina
    10 years ago
    I will have my expert builder take a look when he gets home tonight and will give you an answer.
  • mmonika
    10 years ago
    Plumbing vent could be likely... Does it go out through the roof above? And run near (within a few feet) of a sink/ toilet/ shower below? Hard to tell when its just a circle drawn on a piece of paper but your contractor should be able to identify this.
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    Look at where it goes. In my old house, we have a various odd bits of no-longer used piping, mostly in our basement, thank goodness. We also have in our mostly wood-framed house, a steel beam and a metal support column (also in the basement). I have no idea if the steel was a fix at some point when the original wood failed or if it just happened to be on hand when the house was built and thus used. I wouldn't be too surprised if your pipe was a support column.
  • grannygogo1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yolanda, the area is marked closet. We found out more, it is a stack pipe. The contractor said it can be altered and vented out the side of the house instead of roof. Thanks for all the helpful replies
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    grannygogo 1...Ummm. no, your pipe cannot go out the sidewall only. Code doesn't prevent it going out the sidewall...it just needs to go up above the roof. Is the pipe a 4" vent stack? A fixture count of the rooms below will determine a minimum size....more than likely it can be reduced to 3" and set into an interior wall. A licensed plumber will know the calculations and be able to alter the pipe and figure out a new wall riser location. Then all the vents for the new bath could be tied to this pipe and it can re-exit the roof in its old location. From your descriptions it doesn't sound like your contractor is very experienced or even licensed. Make sure you have a licensed plumber and electrician to rough in the bathroom and hook up the fixtures. Mistakes with either of these things can damage your house....or with electrical, cause serious injury or death.
  • Delfina
    10 years ago
    what's above the bathroom, an attic or another floor? and what is the diameter of pipe?
  • Delfina
    10 years ago
    My husband (a licensed contractor) said that Ironwood Builders is correct, take his advice!