Need help with back door & yard

nikkig1May 8, 2013
I just purchased this home. Has no deck or patio with a detached garage. Needs a ton of work. Getting ideas on how to improve the appearance of the rear of the home. I'd like to enjoy the outdoors but this house needs help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
Can you provide a better photo? This looks like the back of the house.
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:35AM
nikkig1
I will take another. This is the rear. I am looking for help there for now.
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:36AM
carolins
Larger size photo too please :-) Looks like a very cute house.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:38AM
Sigrid
What do you envision doing in your backyard? Do you have kids who will play? Do you want an outdoor seating area with a grill?
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:41AM
nikkig1
I am single. No kids & none coming! working on another pic. I just want a place to relax & entertain. I just look at the small door and cringe. No space to change to a larger door. I was thinking of getting rid of most of grass and add an addition to connect house to garage. So much work to do. :-(
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:00AM
PRO
Flex Court Athletics New York
If you were thinking about getting rid of the grass, maybe it wouldn't hurt to put in some kind of court. Good exercise, don't have to worry about upkeep on the yard and saving on water.
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:57AM
Sigrid
What makes you cringe? The look or the functionality of the small door? If it's just the look, you can make it look bigger by putting a semi-circle of contrasting pavers in front of it and flaking it with two shrubs. The trick is to make the whole composition of pavers and shrubs relatively wide, but still clearly highlighting the door.
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:15AM
libradesigneye
Really charming - painting out all the wires and boxes is a start - picking one (larger) side as the patio and one (smaller) side as the storage / utility area would allow you to erect a screen fence in an L to hide garbage cans from side and rear.

On the other side, consider extending the patio from the side of the house through the door by using precast concrete squares surrounded with gravel laid out in a grid - use weedcloth so the grass doesn't grow through. Or, since your house sits up higher, you could do a one step up deck platform and eventually put a pergola above your window height across 1/2 the width of the house for a sense of charm and enclosure. Use spray paint and castoff furnishings for one season outdoor finds.

Congrats - start to search cottage garden details like pickets, pergolas, archways, - layout the space like garden rooms - you could have raised bed kitchen garden for herbs and tomatoes, and so forth - research your zone a.nd go to the library to browse the sunset garden book for your area. For a complete plan to integrate all your needs, consider a landscape architect who specializes in residential design.
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:42AM