How can I make my front door look more inviting?

tribecamom2May 8, 2013
House color is Wedgewood Gray, door is Caribbean Teal. Don't want to repaint, just want to spruce it up and give it a little more "curb appeal."
ackees
thorougly clean the steps. maybe even stain the concrete. definitely needs flowers,plants flowering bushes of various heights infront of the house. Plants will be the big draw here.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:46PM
Jayme H.
I really like your lights/lanterns..but they are so light they somewhat blend with the siding..sort of small too. Some taller, colorful plants against your foundation would help...Even placing 2 pots flanking sidewalk with nice, colorful pots and arrangements could help...would prob. have to level spots off first ...
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:47PM
mmilos
Power wash the concrete steps to brighten them up. You can also use some concrete wash/brightener.
Plant a pair of tall evergreens to flank the door in your planters.
Upgrade the house numbers with a larger plaque.
Add a couple small pots on the landing/stairs with colorful annuals.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:48PM
I would find some slate in earth tones - they would relate to these colors beautifully, and clad the steps. Take high heat black spray paint to your light fixtures and house numbers so they pop against the background more and help tie in the railings. Then, if you want to plant some taller flowering bushes on either side of your stoop along with the beautiful shrubs I see now - that would be great.
7 Likes    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:49PM
mmilos
You could also replace the sconces with ones that are in a black finish and slightly larger. Then replace the knocker and handle set with a black finish to match.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:53PM
grandmalucy12
I put brick pavers up my side walk . Then ordered a outdoor rug from Frontgate . Looks great
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:44PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
If possible paint the white framing around the door the color of the door, to make it look larger. Larger black lanterns, repaint the railings black. All new larger & black accessories..knocker, handles, and house numbers. If you can, I would consider enlarging the size of the concrete porch a least twice the size of the current one. Enlarge the railing around it and add 2 large black pots flanking the door that contain either colorful plants or a scrub. Quite inexpensive and really update the look of the front facade.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 10:04PM
Sharon
I love your paint colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:07AM
sunnie2day
I agree with Barbara Griffith Designs. To be honest that door looks more like a back or side door because the entry is so narrow. Widening that space if your budget allows would immediately make it more welcoming. As it is now it's a little confusing. Even if it is facing the street/parking, it just doesn't say 'Hi, this is the front door!'

If your budget doesn't allow for at least a doubling of the railing, steps and landing area, you might be able to fool the eye by placing large, full potted evergreen topiaries on pedestals flanking the handrails. The pedestals should be tall enough that bottom of the pots sit at the same level as the concrete landing.

Er, also, has anyone from your local emergency services mentioned your house number plate needs to be more visible? Maybe a darker, glossier coat of the teal to create a contrast? (I also love the colours, nice combination that looks great together!)
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:47AM
tribecamom2
I think we are going to power wash it per some of your suggestions. Then what? Would you paint it? I'd like to keep it simple because this is a seasonal residence and I'm working on several other projects at the same time - the door is low on the priority list! But the more I look at it and hear all your great ideas, the more I want to do something beautiful! Paint would be easy - any color recommendations?
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:38PM
shelleyhmln
Yellow might be a fun color for the door. I love the color you are using, but to brighten it up...
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:46PM
New stairs, definitely. Black hardware.

Cottage and Vine · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:54PM
kathleen MK
Spraying the railings white to match trim would help them fade into the trim. Maybe re-attach them to the outsides of the steps to open the space a tiny bit. While adding a foot or more to each side would be best, some tall planters next to the steps could help visually widen the entry.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 9:54PM
Shoreline Renovations
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:43PM
Roc+Solid Land Design
I would redo the steps. Widen them and add planters on either side to accommodate rails.
    Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 2:38PM
bungalowmo
Depending on your budget...a larger porch is the best outcome.

If it's a limited budget, as others suggested, either paint or purchase larger black porch lights. Keep the railing black, and personally, I'd paint that storm door to match the other black accents.

The color of your house is pretty, but if you want contrast...painting things white isn't the way to go!

I would also get some large urns for plants & place them just outside the bottom of your railings. That will give that area a wider appearance.
    Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 3:22PM
bungalowmo
Sunnie2day made an EXCELLENT point about your house numbers! We're this close to your photos & I bet nearly all missed the fact that they're there.

Paint them BLACK! (I'd actually get larger ones)
    Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 3:24PM
Renewed Treasures by Tess
I like the color of your door but you need accents to make it pop and not be boring. get some black glaze on the rectangle sections of the main door. paint the door knocker black and also the glass door knob black. your footing and main frame of door (The one that is white ) needs to be black. I would also paint the lantern lights a pewter color with black glaze to bring it all together.
I would also pressue wash the steps and add the same blue from the door into the diamonds on your mat. you can even paint the word welcome in black on the main door.
I hope that helps :)
    Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 3:27PM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
If you aren't able to widen the stairs to the door, I would suggest changing out the lanterns to bigger lanterns and using planters beneath each one with a taller greenery with some flowers planted at the base for a pop of color.
    Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 3:33PM
How to make a bare corner with a wood stove more inviting
The house we are in the process of buying in Vermont...
Rebecca Hagen
Help with creating more of an inviting entry to my home!
Hi, I would appreciate your feedback on how to create...
Lisa M.
Need help to make front inviting
We would like to make the entry more inviting. The...
ideabookreno
Kitchen dilemma - place needs needs to look more inviting and pretty!
I don't know what to do bout my kitchen. It is open...
Zahra Lakhani
Would like to make my entryway more inviting!
I don't feel like our entryway into our home is inviting!...
maryb56
Kitchen floor ideas
We are buying a house built in 1948, and the owner...
sarahfellner
Need advice on mirror sizes. Please help me decide!
I have a 64" wide mule chest for a dresser in...
centaurita
Help with paint and carpet colors in bath
Due to water damage we are papering and painting bath...
khdalton
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor
Need help with kitchen cabinets
renovating my kitchen. The designer is suggesting eurogloss...
slaterirwin