Plantation shutters versus blinds
terryhensonMay 8, 2013
We're trying to decide on the best option for our initial window treatment. At issue is privacy but the desire to maintain light and an open feel is important, also a nice consistent look across the front of the house. We've had wooden blinds in the past but tire of the up down open close and trying to keep them level and at consistent height when up. I do like the option with plantation shutters of being able to open the top and keep the bottom closed for privacy. I just don't know how closed in I would feel. I am looking at the 3 1/2 inch single panel for a more contemporary feel. My back windows in the family room and breakfast kitchen area will probably remain open until I see the need for some sun protection when the trees lose their leaves. I will probably opt for a solar screen that will hide away in a valance when not needed. I would welcome pros and cons and your experience with both. I am already working with a supplier and would just like to hear from homeowners. Thanks for your comments.
mmilos
I think the difference is mostly a budget issue. Shutters, IMO, are certainly nicer than blinds. However, since shutters are usually professionally measured and mounted using an inside mount, they can obstruct more light due to the frame.
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 2:48PM
yvonnecmartin
Shutters also take space when they are open. However, being able to close the bottom and open the top is a nice option.
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 2:50PM
Fenstermann LLC
If you need privacy and light control, than shutters are probably not the best choice. Instead, I would look at a top-down/bottom-up system. You can allow light in from the top without sacrificing your privacy, and they are more affordable than shutters. Take a look at the options we have, and let me know if I can help you with fabric samples. Thank you

www.pleatedblindsstore.com

1 Like    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 3:04PM
JMittman Designs
I like the shutter idea over blinds--shutters are so much nicer--but, as you probably already know, they are quite a bit more expensive. Are you planning an inside mount?
As an aside, I don't see how most top down bottom up shades can meet the new standards regarding strangulation hazards and do not sell or recommend them.
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 4:42AM
Peggy Corrigan
I am making the same choice and will follow this discussion eagerly. I would love blinds that are seagrass or look like it but want no strings or pulls. Want a cottage/country feel. like the look of plantation shutters but think they are overused.
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 4:47AM
JMittman Designs
Peggy--you can get cordless shades like you describe.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 4:50AM
A Crew of Two
It is definitely a personal choice. The silhouette type shades are nice, but to me do not add much to a room. They seem cold and too contemporary. I love shutters for the look, but agree they are expensive. They do add value to the home. I am Roman blind girl. I love what they add to the room, they are easy to use and come in a million looks. But again, just a personal choice. Good luck making a decision.
Ideabook: Your Windows: Roman Shades 101 Ideabook: Roman Shades: The Just-Right Window Coverings for Summer
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 4:58AM
I love the look of shutters and have them in our house. I fling them open in the morning and close them at night. But I have them in locations where furniture is not blocking them so I can do that. I have 3.5" louvers in our house but prefer 4.5" louvers for a more contemporary look. The double hung shutters you are planning to use cost more than the single kind but are certainly handy for privacy. Using single panels instead of a hinged pair on a big window will look great but if you want to pull them open every day, they will take up more space.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 5:00AM
Judy M
I have both blinds and shutters in my home (in different rooms).
They are in my husbands office which was previously a bedroom, we have separate on top and bottom as opposed to a full window length and we also have them hinged so they fold back easier. He loves to leave them wide open so he can look out, but when our son puts our grandson in the pack and play in that room, they are easily closed to keep the light out.
We can also open just the top or just the bottom, so very versatile.

In the master we have them in the bottom half of the windows and roman shades on top half.
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 5:13AM
up/down blinds versus wood shutters for privacy
We're trying to decide on window coverings for our...
wildgeese
Plantation shutters or faux blinds
I don't know should I get shutters or blinds to the...
clay61
To shutter or not to shutter!
I'm working on window treatments for this room which...
stwillen
Plantation Shutters - pros and cons
Trying to decide if I want plantation shutters. My...
schcrookston
ı need a living room design
there re my stuff u will see on photos. i need your...
Ilknur Cansızoğlu
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
HELP with wall in living room
I think the current console table that I have to the...
amcmonagle
ı need a living room design
Ilknur Cansızoğlu
Help... awkward recessed wall in living room
Any ideas on how I can use this recessed space in my...
sicilysilver