Tiny sloped closets
Sarah D-Potter
Each bedroom has two tiny "walk in" closets with sloped ceilings. Any idea on how to organize this type of space?
horizontal shelving while providing clearance for headroom.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 4:43PM
selky1
I've been looking into it too- I have two small closets w/ sloping ceilings (not walkins). I did find some honeycomb shaped wire mesh baskets (that used to be made, but I can't find them to buy) that seems like an idea (for filling the flat triangular wall). Let me know what you find. I have a small Pier1 hutch that has six wooden cubes (half with drawers, half with little cubbies and doors), but they don't sell it anymore either- it was customizable- you could stack the cubes any which way. Lastly, if it would fit, Ikea makes a Trofast thing with diagonal storage.
1 Like   May 8, 2013 at 7:48PM
studio10001
Units will take up more valuable space; perhaps you could install bracket held shelves directly to the wall, instead?
2 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 7:53PM
A Crew of Two
I saw these....if it was on wheels it would make it easier to get to things. Useful Solution These are by Twin cities Closet Gift Wrapping Closet
3 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:08PM
suzanne_m
What would you like to keep in this closet? shoes? folded clothes? hanged clothes?
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:10PM
Sarah D-Potter
These are all great ideas, thanks! We are headed to Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes this weekend. It sounds like Ikea might be an option too.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:11PM
Sarah D-Potter
Suzanne, these are bedroom closets. Both upper bedrooms have two of these odd shaped closets and they are the only bedrooms in the house. Teenage daughter and myself and husband. They will hold usual items (clothing/shoes/misc)
1 Like   May 8, 2013 at 8:14PM
suzanne_m
Thank you Sarah, I was just asking because it seems that others were not considering solution for hanging clothes and I thought that maybe you would like us to offer ideas for hanging clothes as well.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:22PM
1906
I'm not sure about the entrance to the closet but you do have options. For instance, you could build in triangular upper shelving with a rolling box or drawer underneath. Shown here in a similar whole attic renovation, we lined the room on both sides with an 16' run of bi-folding doors. A bed was made to roll under the built-in shelving so that it could completely open up the space when necessary. I hope this gives you some ideas.
1 Like   May 8, 2013 at 8:25PM
Sarah D-Potter
I appreciate that! Hanging is necessary, though I think these closets are going to be interesting to work with. We have about 6 weeks to figure it out before we move our things in.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:25PM
Sarah D-Potter
The entry is low clearance - and that sounds interesting and doable. If we lined the low wall with something similar and put a hanging system on the opposite wall it could possibly work? Did you make the shelving yourself?
1 Like   May 8, 2013 at 8:28PM
1906
Low entrance right, and an unusual entry. Wow. May I ask the approximate width of the closet and door?

I did build these, for a vacation residence in Ireland.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:34PM
studio10001
That could work, although you seem only to have enough height for seperates? You might wish to consider a free standing piece in addition to this area for longer garments. I urge you not to add doors within the existing interior. These spaces are tight, and it is the norm to store things in front of the shelving in such spaces, so access should be maintained.
1 Like   May 8, 2013 at 8:34PM
1906
Yes I agree. No doors. Unless new openings are created in the main space. The right free standing piece could work nicely.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:37PM
Barnhart Gallery
Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry, but with a name such as Potter, I couldn't resist:
10 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:37PM
Sarah D-Potter
ha! at the Harry Potter reference, I'm used to it. And the door's are normal width doors but 5 foot height so 'duck' to enter. Husband literally crawls in! We bought an armoire for daughter to appease her situation. I'm hoping we can figure out how to use the closets somehow!
1 Like   May 8, 2013 at 8:41PM
1906
In any case clearance is key on this one and there are still some unknown variables in the layout. For instance the shape of the closet in plan. I'm assuming the 32"ish wide door is all the way to the right?
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:44PM
Sarah D-Potter
Here is another shot of one of the closets, they are all slightly different!
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:45PM
Sarah D-Potter
Door is dead center, and I didn't measure width, we are heading over there on Saturday so I'll be able to take measurements.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:46PM
1906
Yep. I'm still seeing some kind of rolling box on the floor with some kind of built in shelving above. The top shelf in this case is tricky however.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:47PM
1906
Dead center! I posted too soon.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:48PM
Sarah D-Potter
When I get measurements I'll post back, if you think of anything clever-- please let me know!!
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:50PM
1906
That is a tough one, but are you able then to get a unit on either side?
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:50PM
1906
Will do. Until next time.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:51PM
tcufrog
Those closets are useless. I would get rid of them and then put an IKEA closet on one wall. They are extremely customizable and can hold lots of stuff.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:42AM
Cambridge Closets
I am not sure what you are looking to store in this closet, however, there are special brackets made for sloped ceilings that you can install directly to the slope to hold a shelf or a hanging rod. They are sold by Abrecht. Here is the linkhttp://abrechtbracket.com/StorageBracket.html.
Best of luck!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:28AM
1906
I hope I'm not speaking off topic, but I can't resist the opportunity to note that naturally lit dormers can add to a space in a spectacular way. My best suggestion would probably be to explore the possibility of including these small unusual spaces into the main attic space by removing the door and separation wall altogether…before considering storage. Admittedly this raises many questions and is mostly likely outside the scope of your interest but if it wasn't, I would like to encourage you to consider the challenges because solutions for these can make for great spaces to be in.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:08AM
Sigrid
You need to look at possible solutions on line, then measure, measure, measure. You really want to measure with a possible solution, like if you put up a rod here, how much space will there be under your husband's suits or your dresses? If you buy that system, will it fit and what do you need to measure in store if it is marginal?

I measured the width of a buffet and got it as a perfect fit for a space, but failed to notice that we have a chair rail (a quarter inch thick) and that the legs of the piece were slightly wider than the tope (another quarter inch or so).
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:39AM
Sarah D-Potter
Cambridge-- I will look into those, thank you! and 1906, my husband just brought up taking out the wall and opening the space entirely so we're exploring that also, thank you!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:43AM
Cambridge Closets
You are welcome! Good luck!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:52AM
studio10001
(Welcome, 1906!)
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:31AM
1906
You are welcome Sarah. (Thanks studio 10001. Houzz seems fun!)
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:42AM
mimimarie55
I have the same slanted wall under the roof in my master closet. I store all of my shoes under there on simple Closet Maid shelves from the hardware store, cut to custom fit. They attach to the floor and side wall, not the ceiling. It is a great use of tight space. Rest of closet is from the container store.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:11PM
wmguy
Best way to handle a sloped ceiling/closet is to put a drawer with wheels that slide all the way back for storage of seasonal items. (You cam buy pre-built containers but I built mine out of plywood which is more durable than any I found to purchase and it allows you to customize completely.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 6:52AM
Andrea Gary/Queen of Kerfuffle™
I don't know if you saw my designs from a rescue I did on TV with sloped ceilings. You can see more on my Houzz projects. I've tried to attach before and after photos for you. Hope this might be helpful.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:22AM
Andrea Gary/Queen of Kerfuffle™
If you are able to move the wall forward a bit you could create a nice walk-in.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:23AM
Sarah D-Potter
Sorry for the long delay! We still haven't been back to the house (LONG WEEK!) So I don't have measurements yet-- I've shown all the ideas and pictures to my husband so we can get at it within the next week or two! THANK YOU!
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 11:50AM
Tiny closet in tiny room...
Our 1920's bungalow was not built with a closet in...
Should we combine a tiny BR with a tiny closet to improve master BR?
Our master bathroom has a RR that is about 5X6. It...
Larger bathroom and tiny closet or sm bathroom and larger closet
I just bought a house built in 1920 so storage and...
i need help planning clost system sloped ceiling master bedroom closet
my master bedroom closet has sloped ceilings. i need...
Sloped ceiling in my new dressing room/closet
Trying to redo an old guest room into my own dressing...
earthy kitchen and livingroom colours?
need colors for my kitchen and livingroom
Need help with design of replacement windows
We are ready to replace the old casement non functioning...
need advice on tiles for bathroom
i need to tile my newly built bathrooms(floors & walls.)...
wood, wood, everywhere: am i getting closer?
last summer i went on a dining room decorating binge...
Need help with choosing what kind of stone to put behind wood stove.
We have a flat black wood stove on order for this corner....