Side table help...
jdmaher
The arms of my sofa are 23" high. All of these tables are taller by 2-3". Can I make them work or look for new? The room is "beachy contemporary" and the coffee table is light wood with polished steel base..
jdmaher
Anyone? Bumping myself up in the cue... ;)
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 5:57PM
jjohnston020
These are made of wine barrels and could fit pretty well with the white you have here.

You can find them at etsy.com/shop/WineSpirations

Jacob
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 5:59PM
brody1313
of the three, I would try the round light weight one....like the things you have going for you in your room.....
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 7:05PM
wickedwhite
I like the first one. Are you getting the rug too?
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 7:12PM
50kukubirds
all of these tables are beautiful, but maybe a tad too formal for the look and feel of your room. How about something a little more rustic?
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:07PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
Can you show us the coffee table??
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:09PM
studio10001
It is perfectly acceptable to have the table slightly higher than the sofa arm. The metal tables might look well together, assuming they balance w the overall seating arrangement.
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 8:40PM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I do like the round rustic table with nail head trim you showed and it will work well with beach theme. The key I feel to the height of a side table is: Can you easily place a glass on the table without making an contorted move? Then depending on the size you choose to be comfortable you can then chose your lamps height so as to balance the look as well as provide task lighting (like reading). The fabrics you have choosen look like they will round out your beach theme. Watch the amount of polished metal you use for the contemporary part of the look or the room will start to look incongruent. That is why I like the round taable with the nail heads because it is a nice mix of beach and contemporary where the other two tables are more contemporary only in my opinion.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:26AM
Gabberts Design Studio
Of the three tables, I prefer the round one with nail heads. I'd like to see a picture of the coffee table though...
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 5:19AM
Gabberts Design Studio
Also, 2-3 inches higher will work. As long as it's not uncomfortable for you.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:49AM
Cheryl House_Maiorano
The rule of thumb in design is 3" above or below the arm, anywhere between is fine. The 2nd table seems to accomplish the look you like best
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 6:16AM
Genevieve
I was thinking of this style :)

]
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 6:20AM
studio10001
Good point, Ipmaneche. Because the question was posed in the plural, I jumped to the conclusion that two were being sought out, but perhaps not...if so, were you thinking of a matched pair? I agree about the style of the round being preferable, but think two of them might prove awkward looking.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:56AM
Love your room good job. Very cozy. Love 2nd table the best. Very different. Where are you getting it? The first one would look good on other side. But I hate the matchy look.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:56AM
jdmaher
Gabberts Design, this picture is the inspiration for the coffee table. We are going for polished steel (not chrome pictured) and we are eliminating the bottom shelf. It is being custom and the planks will be more obvious...

I prefer the second table.

The images are from a showroom (including the one with the couch...though those are my fabrics.).

I want to do matching side tables, but the general concensus here seems not too??
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 4:47PM
jdmaher
Do people not do matching side tables anymore? I think I want the symmetry of it. BTW, the picture of the couch is not my space, its the showroom!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:22PM
studio10001
It's not done alot anymore, except by showrooms.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:44PM
dclostboy
I like the third one...definitely a pair is needed...one for each arm.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:50PM
dclostboy
But if you're having coffee table made...why not shorter side tables too, in complementary design (like the third pic). Mirror, concrete or resin (with seashells??) might be fun.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:52PM
Amelia's Decorating and Design LLC
It would be best if you show us the space you will be putting the table in. Design should be in context. If we do not know what it is relating to then the opinions will always be all over the place. Would you post a picture of the style of your sofa, the space, and other decoration in the room?
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 6:40AM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
matching or unmatched side tables are both being done and both look good. It really depends on how formal the room is and what is pleasing to your eye. I like both looks but definitley I like to use matching lamps that end up at the same height. If using a floor lamp on one side then obviously the height is not important any more. When using tables that are not matching they should have the same visual weight so a heavy chest on one side and a table with long spindly legs on the other may look unbalanced. One very popular look right now is a very tailored box pleated table skirt which with the beach contemporary theme may look real cool with the right fabric.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 6:43AM
Lynn Madyson, ASID, IFDA, NKBA
I like the 2 metal end tables...and no - do not match them...that is a very passe way of thinking in design. Mismatching creates more interest. I am a professional interior designer and completely agree with the response that 2-3" above or below is perfectly acceptable for side table.
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 8:24AM
studio10001
Agreed; much easier on the eye, now we see the coffee table.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 9:54AM
jdmaher
Lynn Madyson, would you mismatch any of my choices or would you look elsewhere?

Cant show the space - new home and the pics I have are only on paper... small though - 14 x 12 (14" is where the couch will be. Couch is 89", so I have roughly 3" on either side...) Im thinking of BM's Woodlawn Blue for the walls, as I have a chair that is that same tone... Thoughts?

Anyone have any links to side tables that woul
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 10:27AM
Amelia's Decorating and Design LLC
Understandable. From the ones you posted I would mix the 2nd and 4th picture they are the same finish and have the same openness to them.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 11:28AM
jdmaher
Thanks everyone for your comments.

My least favorite table is the first one I posted. I will continue to search for tables...maybe have something custom done, as well. If anyone has any links to other ideas for side tables, I would surely appreciate them!
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 12:40PM
Amelia's Decorating and Design LLC
Try Jonathan Adler they have beautiful things www.jonathanadler.com
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 12:41PM
leelee
Definitely not the O table with the metal and glass. The other two are great. Here's another that might work. You've done a fabulous job--your place looks great!
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 3:18PM
Linda Clayton Interiors
The scale of the 2 iron tables are too small for the scale of the sofa. Definitely go with the wood 2 shelf table. It fits the beachy look you are going for. It is fine that it is 2" taller. It will actually look better than a table that gets lost under the arm of the sofa. Don't go with that floral fabric you have laid on the pillow. Instead look for something a little more fun and beachy and bold. There are some great fabrics that have shells and sea horses but are more contemporary than the old shell fabrics. Top the table off with a fun lamp and you have a great look going.
1 Like   May 12, 2013 at 5:23AM
mrs1916
Higher doesn't work, in my opinion. Trying to rest a drink is so awkward (my big problem was the functionality). Ran into this when I moved in with my husband. I wanted to chop down the legs on his tabes. He wouldn't let me, so I bought a new couch with arms the same height as the back!
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 5:48AM
kimdem
I just checked and several of my end tables are a couple inches taller than the sofa they are next to and I think they look fine. If it's not a huge difference, I don't think it matters. I like the 2nd table best.
2 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 6:06AM
leelee
I like a slightly higher end table or at least arm height. It's awkward to place a drink on a table that's lower than the arm of the sofa.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 7:05AM
Kate
Hi, I also like the tiered table. In keeping with the beachy style I would not add another metal table since your coffee table is metal as well. I would also suggest, a square at one end and round on the other to not be to formal with matching. The end tables need not be the exact height (within a few inches) and should they be different you can adjust the overall height with the lamp heights and using different but similar lamps on the ends. For a more casual and interesting look stay away from too symmetrical and too much shinny.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 7:09AM
catscats
I like Kimdem's table's. If you want to go wood, find a good carpenter and have your tables made to your specifications, size, height, wood choice, fancy, plain, or whatever you want. I did that and am very pleased with the results and didn't cost as much, for what I received, as I would have paid in a store.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 10:06AM
Tres McKinney Design
With an arm height of 23" I recommend not going higher than 26"-27" higher. I like how the round leater table works with the coffee table (the nickle nail heads compliment the chrome base of the coffee table and the tan leather the driftwood colored top. The table on the opposite end can be different but should compliment the other two. Don't try to use matching lamps if the tables are a different height. Instead consider a table lamp on the round table and a floor lamp at the other end with a smaller side table.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 7:29PM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Since you prefer symmetry but it may be too formal looking for the beach feel I think the round table with the nail heads and then a floor lamp on the other side will work very well for you. You can use a garden seat etc at that end of the sofa so you have a place to put a drink down. Cant wait to see your finished product.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:25AM
Need help with coffee table, end table(s), and side table for chair
I just bought this new leather furniture for our living...
lynnerly
Need help deciding on coffee table / side tables
What kind of coffee table and side tables would you...
bonmio
need help finding side table & coffee table
This is our living room. Rug is new and sofa & side...
jeehahan
Please help me pick out a coffee table and side table.
I know I want something really big. I would like it...
collard5
Shannal Shaikh
Proportion help
Can a table lamp be taller than the height of the table.?...
tjafieldstone47
Need help with kitchen
We are doing a total remodel on kitchen with white...
Deborah Bruening
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows
What's on your nightstand?
What do you keep handy when you go to sleep at night?...
Not happy with new drapes :(
My designer is telling me the new drapes are perfect....
angelewing