Awkward Layout
courtneyjune
I need professional help! My husband and I built our first home two years ago. Since we have moved in our Great Room has felt like an awkward space. I want to buy new furniture for this room but I'm not sure if I should get a sectional or couch and love seat. I am also not sure how I should arrange the new furniture and where I should put the tv. I would like to keep my leather chair if possible. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
CDR Design
Hi.....lot's of potential here

1) Buy a couch/not a sectional. I find sectionals very difficult in making seating arrangements. Or, keep the couch you have.....it looks to me like you just need to have the seatbacks restuffed.

2) Float couch between lr and dr. It will be placed to the right of the fireplace, perpendicular to the fireplace (where leather chair is now).

3) Facing the fireplace is your leather chair and a second chair (can you find a matching leather chair?) So, your chairs and couch will form and L.

4) Place the tv where the couch is now. It would be best if you could find a taller, wider entertainment center to house your tv. If not, place something on either side of your tv to fill up the space......maybe those lamps.

5) You can leave your rug approximately where it is now....it might need to be tweaked.

6) Get a large, rectangular coffee table to place in your setting.

7) You need some panel drapes for your windows.

If you like this, try it and please post pictures. We can then accent your room and improve it even more. For example, the mirror over your fp is reflecting noting interesting. A piece of artwork would be so much better.
May 8, 2013 at 6:51pm     
Osirius Glass Designs
Here is my suggestion.
May 8, 2013 at 7:01pm   
courtneyjune
Thanks for your help!
May 8, 2013 at 7:11pm   
courtneyjune
@osirius
Are you thinking a sectional where you drew the sofa?
May 8, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Osirius Glass Designs
Yes, if the wall is long enough. You have a nice couch now, but limited on where you can place it without floating in the room and cutting down on space. Sectional gives more seating and acts as a divider for dining. TV mounted on wall( I assume that is not also a fireplace ) if it is then you would have issues mounting TV over fireplace. But it allows the most viewing angles. Cheers!
May 9, 2013 at 10:33am     
courtneyjune
Okay thanks!
May 9, 2013 at 12:13pm   
CDR Design
Courtneyjune, prior to buying more furniture, I would suggest you try your new layout with the existing furniture. That way, you will not be paying money for the wrong furniture.

In the layout I proposed, one other suggestion would be to buy a couch and a love seat and place the existing leather chair in the corner where the t is currently. It would be in its own little spot for reading, etc. You could place a small bookshelf next to it.

The reason I set up the arrangement as I did is that it allows for you to have the furinture closer to the fireplace and enjoy it, allows for a conversation (people cannot talk across a room), and ensures that people are not walking in front you, as you view tv.

Let us know what you decide and I would love to see pictures of your new arrangement, whatever you decide.
May 10, 2013 at 3:27am   
Super awkward room layout/fireplace
This is the living room of a house we are in the process...
Awkward Layout
I need professional help! My husband and I built out...
What is a good furniture layout for this awkward open living room?
I have an open living room that I'd like to refurnish...
Need Help with Long Awkward Living Room Layout
I have an 11 x 21 Living Room with a fireplace on one...
Furniture layout for awkward living room
I need help with laying out furniture in our small...
Carpet over tiles
We have just moved into a house which has ceramic tiles...
What color should our gutters & downspouts be?
We are having gutters installed next week & I have...
Art for shared living/dining wall? Please help!
Are there any guidelines for choosing complementary...
Interior paint dilemma
I have most of the common areas throughout my home...