Kitchen ideas
Ben Mink
I'm looking to replace my countertops and flooring in this kitchen but I'm in a dilemma with the color of the cabinets. Any ideas that would look descent with the cabinets I have?
We would all suggest that you paint these cabinets Ben, but that is a big big job. I'd ask you to pick out a blue that looked like worn blue jeans. With or without painted cabinets - the best flooring these days is a vinyl plank floor that looks like wood. For your room, I'd pick a whitewashed oak / pickled wood look and a quartz white countertop.
May 8, 2013 at 10:10pm   
Sterl Kitchens Co. Inc.
Do you know if you are going for laminate or more expensive like stone,Corian,quartz?
May 8, 2013 at 10:12pm   
suzanne_m
What type of flooring do you have in mind? Hardwood?
May 8, 2013 at 11:33pm   
Ben Mink
I was defiantly thinking about painting them but yea that's a big job. So for now going with a vinyl
Flooring because of the tight budget I'm on but I do like the white countertop idea but black countertops also crossed my mind
May 9, 2013 at 1:56am   
suzanne_m
Ok, I was asking about the floor because you can go either way: choose floor first then counter top or vice versa. My thoughts were that if you were going with a vinyl floor, there would be good chance that it will have some pattern and the counter top more of a solid color. I noticed that most of the time, the color combinations in things you buy like fabric, arts, ceramic etc. have been chosen by color specialists so the colors go well together. From that, my plan was to choose a vinyl floor with a pattern that has some of the color found in your cabinets then take one of other colors from the floor to be used for your counter top. This is one way to go but there are many houzzers here that don't need that help because they are already quite good at colors.
May 9, 2013 at 2:15am   
Ben Mink
Ok thanks and yea I'm kind of a rookie at color selections
May 9, 2013 at 2:17am   
sunnie2day
If you're considering white countertops you'll want to be sure that you splash out the serious money for the material that doesn't stain. We suffered with white worktops for several years but when we decided to sell the house we replaced with black. The buyers were very glad to see the black worktops, the wife mentioned keeping those clean would be easy and she's so right! The white Formica was really hell to keep clean, every tea splash stained and truthfully after a point nothing I did mattered-those worktops always looked a little icky five minutes after I rinsed off the cleaner.

Learned our lesson, the new kitchen is a complete reno and black worktops have already been selected:)
May 9, 2013 at 2:28am   
suzanne_m
Ben, I photoshop your kitchen with a black counter top. I think it looks nice. In your picture above, it looks that you have a backsplash the same color as your counter. Do you have a blacksplash or is it just painted wall?
In my picture below, don't pay too much attention at the flooring. I took the first one I found.
May 9, 2013 at 12:33pm     
Ben Mink
Yea it's a backsplash same color as counter but in doing away with it. I just left Lowe's and got black counters and some new darker stone looking vinyl tiles
May 9, 2013 at 1:33pm     
A Crew of Two
I like the black countertops. There are some great vinyl floors that look like stone.
May 9, 2013 at 2:01pm     
sunnie2day
@Ben Mink-what finish did you go for on the worktops, glossy or the finish that looks like slate? We went for the slate because we're going to use a sheet vinyl that looks like Welsh slate (it's a very dark charcoal grey, almost but not quite black) on the floor. Also, our new kitchen is so small we were worried about glare if we went with the glossy worktops.

Budget wise it worked out really well for us because we fell in love with a clearance vinyl, the store had just enough of it to do our kitchen and bath floors (Bargain!). Then we went over to look at the worktops and (Bargain!!) a 'matching' worktop was on offer at more than half off. We bought both and the materials are waiting in storage until we can get started.

The photoshopped picture of your kitchen with the black worktops is amazing, your kitchen looks completely new!
May 10, 2013 at 12:21am   
Dressingrooms Interiors
Hi Ben, you could paint the cabinets with Annie SLoan chalk paint-"Old White" is a lovely soft white which will go well with your black worktops and dark flooring. It will also lighten the room. Its easy to get a good finish with these paints with minimal preparation but you need to wax really well to make the surface hardwearing enough for a kitchen. stockists can be found on www.anniesloan.com. A really easy way to update cabinets is by adding interesting handles- I have used some crystal knobs here from Chloe Alberry (based in London but they do mail order) - if these are too girly they have lots of different kinds,all lovely! Plain glass splash backs are pretty and practical. Or you could use something like the metal covered mosaic tiles that I have used here in a clients kitchen.They look really stunning but are a bit fiddly to put up so you may need to get a professional tiler in if you're not so good at diy. Hope this helps!
May 10, 2013 at 2:24am   
Front door color?
We recently repainted our family house from the ugly...
kitchen cabinets color?
The granite counter top in our new villa is salmony,...
blank slate of a foyer
We just moved into our dream home and have this gorgeous...
Help my kitchen go glam contemporary!
What do you think will make that happen? I'm thinking...
What colour should I paint the front door?
Hi everybody! I am struggling with choosing paint colours...