OLLD - 5/9
astraea
May 9, 2013 in Other
New Jersey is starting off with another rainy day. It only rained about 4 separate times since Tuesday night!
astraea
Doing my usual browse thru new "Design Dilemmas"; think Houzz needs to prominently give definition of that, since the % of non-design dilemmas posted there keeps rising.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:36AM
Morning Astraea! It's true! And many design dilemmas appear in the "Other" category!

What are your plans for the day?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:34AM
astraea
Reorganizing after a meeting last night, and putting together a meeting notice/update for next month. Not very "Houzz related", is it?!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:42AM
You sure spend a lot of time at meetings for a retired person! Today is laundry/ironing day, not very Houzz related either :))
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 4:47AM
busylady1
Hi everyone. This is what i have been busy with. It has taken us 5 days to dismantle a raised bed where nothing grew due to the huge conifer hedge owned by our neighbour, move the sleepers the raised bed was built from, re-use the sleepers as a base for the toolshed by sinking them 5 inches into the ground, stain them, move the toolshed, paint the toolshed inside and out, buy plants and pot them up to go on either side. It has been hard work and we are not finished with the planting yet, but a dark gloomy patch of garden has been transformed! Yippee!
6 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:57AM
Well, aren't we ambitious! It looks great! I really like the lattice work on the back wall, it adds interest and breaks up all the stone. Great color choice for the toolshed!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:59AM
Jayme H.
@busy lady! Nice! What is a sleeper? Those things under the shed?
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:45AM
Jayme H.
Good morning all! Are u sore today Bobbi?
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:45AM
Morning, Jayme! I am sore today! And both sides, one side for overcompensating for the other! What's on your agenda for today?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:51AM
Linda
@busylady - love the color of that toolshed! I'm going to be using something similar on my cute little project house with the big garden space. I just have to decide whether to go with white trim or dark trim

@jayme - sleepers are what we call railroad ties
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:56AM
Jayme H.
@olldbobbi...house/yard work, pick up son/cook supper, trying to arrange parttime summer daycare for my 7 y/o...he is signed up for activities & I need help with him for a few hours here and there...my job is asking me to work more hours. May throw a coat of paint on bathroom cabinets..I have been procrastinating! Also need to wash and clean my batmobile (car)!

-hope u are using some ibuprofen or tylenol and resting!!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 6:13AM
Ok, you know the terrible kidnapping tragedy in Cleveland, the three women who were held for ten years? Well, I've been watching all the news clips where they're interviewing everyone who ever wanted to stand in front of a TV camera, neighbors, friends, etc., and I have one question: Are there NO dentists in Cleveland?
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 6:33AM
Jayme H.
@Bobbi...My 7 y/o already is noticing teeth..(I have rubbed off on him already).

That dude that rescued/helped to rescue the girls...what a character! Took guts to go kick in a door!!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 6:41AM
Jayme, my hubby has a cousin in Mexico with NO money, and she lost her front tooth. She's very self-conscience about it so she covers her mouth whenever she talks or laughs. So I told him to tell her if she Sharpie's the other front tooth, no one will notice! hehehe But it's ok, she went and had an implant so she's happy now.

You don't need to worry until your 7 y/o starts noticing girls. THEN it's time to worry!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 6:54AM
Jayme H.
@Bobbi..haha! My hubby had a busted off crown..on lower..I was rabid to get it done..looks so much better! I am lucky..my choppers are intact!
-in re: my 7 y/o..problem is the GIRLS r chasing him already! He doesn't object very strenuously either..MaMa is always watching.. :)
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:02AM
kimdee24
Good morning everyone.

My dad, oddly enough, was very dental conscious. Regular dental visits were not optional in our house. And he hated the sound of anyone biting on something hard, like candy or ice, exclaiming that someone would break a tooth. To this day, he still comments on how white my teeth are, or his favorite, when am I going to pay him back all the money he spent on my braces... ;)
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:05AM
Jayme H.
Good morning Kimdee!! What r u up to this fine day? BTW..is your zone also 3? Some of those plants I was rattling off yest...need sun.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:10AM
kimdee24
Hey Jayme -- so far, just sitting here reading and drinking coffee. I have to see my trainer at 11am, and then finish up a few work things. And... I NEED to clean my house. Dust everywhere!

Yep, I'm Zone 3 too. Which is tricky, when you have a shady garden. It was easier in the last house, the backyard got sun all day until late afternoon, so the opposite is true in this house.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:13AM
olldroo
Morning to you all. Busy, your garden shed looks really cute - I have to say it, it just looks like what we have for outdoor dunnies here, except it is mandatory to grow choko vines over them.

Bobbi, I'm glad you didn't break anything. A long wallow in a hot tub would be the perfect solution.

I hope your days go better than mine did, I had a good sleep last night but for some reason just couldn't wake up this morning till the phone rang. Seemed to take me ages to get organised to get out for the lunch I had and when I got home all I wanted to do was sleep again so I cancelled the rest of the day and gave into it. Still really tired so off to bed. See what tomorrow brings, I really don't have time for a time out day.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:18AM
Jayme H.
Of course Hostas...always an option..columbine..begonias..
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:18AM
mousemaker
here's my tree!
7 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:24AM
Jayme H.
Just found a herbaceous, late summer blooming perennial.."Hot Lips Turtlehead"...looks like it grows fast ..up to 2 feet tallx 2 feet wide..

Design Ideas

Turtlehead is a valuable problem solver for poorly drained sites. Wide adaptability to radically differing climates and as a North American native it has all the qualities of a superior perennial. Well suited to middle of the perennial border and blended into mixed plantings. Super foundation plant where drainage is problematic. A natural plant for wild gardens and those composed of locally native species. Its habitat tells us turtlehead is excellent around bogs and water gardens where soils may be perennially moist from splash and spay. Plant in irregular groupings for masses of foliage and flowers.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:25AM
kimdee24
Good evening, Ms Roo! I hope you've had a good day, despite being tired. Sleep well tonight.

Bobbi -- you are ordered to rest those aches! I hope you're not too stiff this morning. Please be careful!

Jayme -- I think I'm going to call a landscape designer and have them do a plan. It will be worth it in the end, rather than my trying to trial and error back there. Plus, I'm not interested in doing any hardscaping myself anymore, I just don't have the time or energy! I love to putter in the garden, but I think I'll leave the heavy work for someone else this time around.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:27AM
kimdee24
Jayme -- that is cool! I've never heard of it!
mousemaker -- beautiful tree!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:27AM
Jayme H.
I like the name..I may get some just for that reason..LOL
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:28AM
astraea
Bobbi - Other women who've been presidents of organizations, tell me that it usually winds up feeling like a full-time job! Last night we had our first meeting with a speaker. Today is "clean-up" .. welcome new members & send them reference material, inform committee chairs of new volunteers, send secretaries periodic list of new members, finalize Bylaws that were approved, etc. My next "project" is formatting meeting postcards for our "snail mail" members; it has been such a headache doing that .. have to try a different approach next time!!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:33AM
Roo, we are ordering you to SLEEP!!! Your body is crying out for rest from your last trip. It's really important, you know!

Mousemaker, I LOVE your tree!

I am resting my hip, nobody worry, ok? I shouldn't have said anything. Last night I was able to sleep on that side whereas yesterday when I tried to lay down I couldn't, so I know it's healing. Thanks!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:33AM
Astraea, is this all volunteer work you're doing? You're a good person. Please! Don't forget to give CC my message!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:34AM
Jayme H.
@mousemaker...LOVE the tree...gorgeous!!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:36AM
mousemaker
there is a sweet scent from the blossoms..which don't last long..and then the leaves come out.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:41AM
kimdee24
I had a high grafted dwarf Korean lilac in my last yard... it should be getting ready to bloom about now, I will really miss it's pretty scent. I hope they are taking care of it!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:46AM
kimdee24
Aww... miss you, pretty tree!
5 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:48AM
Awww.....
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:54AM
mousemaker
can you get one now?
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:58AM
kimdee24
If I can find a suitable place for it, it's definitely on my list!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:02AM
armygirl1987
Morning all, my moms birthday is today and I am still trying to figure out what to get her. We are taking her out to eat this afternoon. .
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:08AM
Happy Birthday Angela's Mom!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:09AM
armygirl1987
Trying to figure out if I want to go out or just stay in till later. Decisions has a lot to do with the fact that I do not go to sleep at night so I just want to stay home during the day. School starts next week so I have to chill until then. It is hard being a student at my age.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:09AM
busylady1
Roo, I hope you are sleeping by now, but don't tell my grandkids it looks like a dunny or they might just try it out! The boys specially!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:09AM
armygirl1987
How are you feeling oldbobbi make sure you taking care of yourself.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:10AM
armygirl1987
busylady that shed and area is nice. wish I could but my dogs wont let me
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:11AM
Angela, I think it's hard being a student, period! I'm ok, thanks for asking. Magazine subscriptions always make a great gift because they keep on giving all year.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:11AM
mousemaker
My FitBit came off during the night and so it looks like I actually slept a couple of hours oh LOLOLOL
Angela, how about a pashmina? you could write that when she wears it she is wrapped in your love?
or a book of poems..is she a reader? a book journal is always nice.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:12AM
Color me dumb, what is a FitBit?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:17AM
armygirl1987
I like the pashmina, book of poems, but she reads the bible
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:24AM
armygirl1987
That is a beautiful tree kimdee24 down here I am trying to plant tress that provide shade and food. I have an avocado, mango and ackee so far in the back yard. Plan is to get some native that I grew up eating in Jamaica.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:25AM
OLLD's - I have something to say, if everyone could listen for a minute? I've been in email contact with our David, and he's sick again. He needs us. If we all could take a minute to say a prayer for him, no matter what your religion, it would surely help him. And he's checking on the OLLD forum so a kind word from you to him would be awesome. Thanks :))
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:26AM
armygirl1987
I feell stupid is David- Ironwood..
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:27AM
kimdee24
Of course, bobbi -- I'm on it!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:28AM
armygirl1987
Sending prayers and nothing but love to David. Please take care of yourself as the girls need you to keep us in line.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:28AM
armygirl1987
How is it down in Jersey astrea, lived in CT and my sister lived in New Jersey.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:29AM
Angela, yes, David Ironwood.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:29AM
armygirl1987
Morning Jayme, kimdee24, olldroo, mousemaker
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:30AM
armygirl1987
I do have a decent backyard but I have a problem area.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:34AM
armygirl1987
But guess who is at fault. Trouble comes in four
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:35AM
armygirl1987
Just checked on my tomatoes and peppers. That is I keep the dogs out after my dog jumped the fence
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:38AM
armygirl1987
That one right there jumped the fence. Need to figure out how to stop them from digging.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:41AM
Jayme H.
David...We love you!!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:42AM
Jayme H.
@Angela..Oh my ..but what a naughty naughty puppy!!!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:43AM
mpoulsom
i WANT a mango tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooo jealous! What is that problem hole thingy in the sand angela?
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:46AM
armygirl1987
The dogs keep digging. One in particular, my lion dog, Scrappy.. The one in the top two.. I am thinking about just making that area a play area for them. thinking of just getting rid of grass in the area around shed.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:47AM
Dear David - there are times when the going gets rough, but you are tough and will get going. Thoughts, prayers from all corners of the earth going your way. You deserve it!. Get well and then keep well. Look forward to hearing from you on the threads again.
6 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:48AM
Yes! David, ASV is right. And when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping :))
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:49AM
armygirl1987
That is Scrappy
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:50AM
Jayme H.
Stinkers! I trained mine to stop yapping non stop at the fence line..at neighbor dogs..I had to go out there every dang time they did it, redirect them..and do it again and again for a few weeks...they regress once in awhile, but come around again quickly if I follow through...they are truly naughty little beasts!! (Bichon and bichon/terrier mix).
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:51AM
mpoulsom
That pup is adorable...mischief written all over that cute face! I'm a sucker for those kinds of dogs! It's an awful trait of mine!

Bob, glad your hips are still shakin, but take her easy mamacita! At least for a couple of days.

Oh Dave.....you are in my thoughts and prayers for sure! Hopefully we can at least make you chuckle every now and then by reading about our crazy antics and opinions (since you think we're all nuts...lol), and our bitching and whining and moaning about life in general....and of course make you smile about all the things that we love and find interesting in the world. huge hugs and sloppy kisses from the east coast!
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:54AM
pattyannb
Hi-Ya!.... Bobbi, I miss that you got hurt yesterday! Please be careful on those things above floor level! A tub is not someplace you want to fall! *hugs*

David... take care of yourself! My prayers are with you!

Kimdee, you always have such beautiful things... and excellent taste!

All of you ladies and men keep me in awe.... Nice homes, good sense of humor! It's good to come in here and see such a wonderful group of people...
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:54AM
Thanks, Patty, seriously I'm ok. It's David that needs us today :))
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 8:57AM
busylady1
David, I am sure you will soon get over this setback, and continue your recovery. Get some rest and follow doctors orders. We will be looking out for you on Houzz when you feel a bit better.
5 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:00AM
mpoulsom
here's a good one for you all.....i'm too cheap to buy a fancy phone, so I get the free phones from the no-contract company I have my service from...i had to get a new phone, because i lost mine for a couple of days, a couple of weeks ago. well, when the last month's minutes ran out I got the phone i ordered out and activated it. Are you ready for this...according to the phone, It is January 2, 2004 and it it now 3:07pm! I can't change it.....driving me a little crazy....It's a reconditioned phone I'm sure, but of course there is something wonky about it. You get what you pay for is all i can say! ha!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:03AM
mpoulsom
busylady...love your garden shack! adorable!!! Mines brown with that color door pretty much. I love my garden shack!
i wish you guys could come over and sit in the backyard with me at my house. I am sooo loving everything right now. All of that hard work has really paid off and I can finally see a light and maybe REALLY enjoy the rewards of it this spring and summer! yay!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:07AM
mousemaker
oh oh. you might want to reconsider your phone options:)
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:08AM
mpoulsom
I wish that I could go BACK to that year ASV! and redo a few things....lol
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:08AM
armygirl1987
mpoulson next time I travel north I will drop of a mango tree for you. I was in the Army in Fort Jackson, Columbia, SC, love, love that area.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:09AM
armygirl1987
I wish I could go back to 2004 that is the year I bought my house, would have done it right the first time. also the year I met my husband, now ex. Life sure is crazy.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:10AM
mpoulsom
mousemaker....I am extremely frugal and well let's face it, poor! lol
I won't pay for cable tv, i find the cheapest phone plan possible because quite frankly I don't like phones period. I'm blind as a bat and can't see the phones to begin with....I am also technologically challenged to the nth degree and know that I would not use have the apps, bells, and whistles on most phones these days anyway. So I'll just pretend it's 2004 for now! :) As long as the phone rings, makes calls, that's all I really need it for anyway.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:12AM
armygirl1987
I am getting estimates to do my breakfast nook, do I try to match the kitchen cabinets which I think will be impossible or just go with something completely different
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:15AM
mpoulsom
angela, a mango tree will not grow here i don't think???? trust me i would have a lemon and orange tree too if they would. Mango is my fave fruit. I think I started growing one from the seed/pit thing in a glass of water one time, like an avocado....it worked, but I never got it to the outdoors. Think you need more tropical weather.

well angela, creeser is near cola...did you know that? you liked columbia? never been a fan myself. the only thing that I LOVE about cola, is that it means I'm closer and almost to the Isle of Palms!!!! :)
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:15AM
armygirl1987
This is what the area looks like.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:17AM
mpoulsom
Angela, did you hit the lotto or something woman???? I've never seen anyone do so much at once!
well besides Kimdee maybe... :)
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:18AM
armygirl1987
But I thought SC gets pretty hot, I would check it out, I actually like that the people were nice and everyone spoke.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:18AM
armygirl1987
Using my scholarship from school, as long as I keep a 3.0, I get a 4,000 dollar every semester. I got 3.75 the first and 4.0 this semester.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:19AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Good morning ladies...........David, sending prayers and healing thoughts your way get some rest buddy and take care of yourself.

Not much planned for today. Mowed the grass this morning and the mower locked up just as I was finishing. Knew it was on its last leg, but was really hoping it would make it one more summer. Can't complain though, I only paid $65 for it and that was 5 years ago so I figure I got my money's worth.

Have a good one all.............will check back later.
8 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:19AM
mpoulsom
Why don't you just paint the breakfast nook furniture something that is different from the kitchen cabs...
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:20AM
mousemaker
Oh MP, I understand! We got rid of cable TV and now we have an antenna and Netflix. I check out quite a few Large Print books :) and I have Trifocals!! yaaaay or somethin' The new phones are tres easy. point and do :)
even the hubby can do it!! :):) I can't live without it now because I have a notetaker app and I need it because I am losing my memory, you know. so I write things in all the time. also my calendar and certainly for emergencies because I am always hurting myself and I need to have it on me.
I also remember reading about a woman who was kidnapped and was in the trunk of a car---used her phone to call for help!!!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:21AM
mpoulsom
STK...afternoon to you sir!
you got your money's worth!!!! hit the craigslist! sure you can find another dealio out there!

you feeling okie?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:21AM
armygirl1987
It is actually not so bad. I have used local handyman for most of my projects, basically they like my uncles. They are all these Jamaican guys that know each other so I will use one for electric, paint, tiling and stuff. They only get paid at the end of the month and they understand that so it really has not been so bad. Major so far has been painting, electrical work I paid on tiles for months through the tile store.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:23AM
mousemaker
speaking of...have you been reading about the assaults in the military?? it's disgusting. My husband was a Marine and he is appalled and disgusted. This has to stop. So many unreported rapes and assaults on both men and women.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:24AM
Jayme H.
STK..Gd morning!!

My hubby bought me a droid but it wouldn't get service in the small town I had to drive to for work..so I got a simpler one..it's fine for me ..$45/month unlimited talk and text..it's a no contract, pay is set up automatic, so don't worry about "refills". Works for me..Don't need anything else..Laptop does everything I need.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:24AM
armygirl1987
I wanted to but it is falling apart, even thought about reglue, repaint but don't think it will hold up
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:25AM
mpoulsom
mouse...it's gotten to the point that i can hardly read the computer screen without glasses, and i know i can't see all the phone text on those little screens. It's so funny, my daughter still tries to show me stuff on her iphone and puts it right up to my face and i take her arm and push it far far far away! lol
she can't get used to the fact that my vision is horrible now.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:25AM
armygirl1987
Honestly, think that it has always been there. But you right it needs to, but I think that it has a lot to do with the recruits that they are getting in.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:26AM
armygirl1987
mpoulson, I just gave up and got glasses
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:27AM
nasmijati
@busylady. Your garden building looks great!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:28AM
mpoulsom
works for me too jayme! same thing basically here!

angela....maybe you should do something in very dark espresso wood or black chairs and table.....Think that would look good in there!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:28AM
nasmijati
@mousemaker. Pretty blossoms on your tree. :)
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:28AM
nasmijati
@kimdee. I have never seen a lilac pruned into a tree. That is one beautiful sight.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:29AM
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. I am happy to read that your hip is healing.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:29AM
mpoulsom
Yes...sexual harassment and abuse has always been a part of the military. It's because of the power trips and politics. It may have gotten slightly better for a little while a while back, but I knew that wouldn't last. It's the environment.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:30AM
nasmijati
@MP. Smiles coming your way for good work and your enjoyment of your new back yard.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:30AM
nasmijati
@Angela. I would not try to match the breakfast nook with the kitchen cabinets.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:32AM
nasmijati
@STK. I am happy to read that you are feeling better today.

Yes, it certainly seems that you got every penny's worth out of your lawn mower. Can you walk well enough to get a push mower again? Do you have enough lawn/storage for a ride-on mower? I liked using an electric push mower better than a gas powered one or the 100% human powered push mower.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:35AM
kimdee24
Mr. Ironwood -- good thoughts and tons of love and light coming to you from way up here. Remember that you have some fancy outfit to be wearing this fall and I think we're all going to hold you to it... :) I know you'll be feeling better very soon. (((hugs)))
5 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:36AM
mpoulsom
I want to fix our push mower.....the riding lawn mower is kind of fun, but I like the exercise of the push!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:38AM
nasmijati
Happy day, ASV, Jayme, pattyannb, Astraea, and Linda.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:38AM
mpoulsom
thank you ez! I'm loving it. even J said that he felt like he was in california! ha! The funny thing is that he's never been there!!!! But it does look a little californian out there right now.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:41AM
pattyannb
Angela... I think I would just put in a round table & chairs... Have you thought about that?
I know eztia... My lilac trees really don't have a trunk at all I don't think... They seem to be wild looking compared to that one... It's beautiful... Maybe I should go take a better look at it..
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:41AM
mpoulsom
Big Arts festival happening here this weekend called Artisphere! Thinking about trying to go one day this weekend. It's all the arts from all over the world. Art art (my kind), Dance, Music, etc. Very cool event!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:42AM
armygirl1987
I think that the deployments and war as also taken a toll on our men and women in the military. Lot of time the macho and hooah do not allow these men and women to heal so they carry these burden and end up hurting the one in front of them.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:43AM
nasmijati
@David of Ironwood. Auntie Eztia here, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Sleep if you can. That is when the body heals.
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:43AM
Robin W
Holy smokes! Chatty bunch this morning! I've had another earache this morning so just trying to get rid of that before I head outside to dig out all the gross looking bushes out front of my house. Kimdee - it will be a workout if you're looking to skip your trainer. Lol!

David, I do hope you feel better soon.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:45AM
nasmijati
@Angela. I like the idea of cushions for the seat and back of your eating nook. Slipcover them so you can pop then in the laundry when needed.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:46AM
OnePlan
Hi everyone ! I know I don't usually gate crash in here - but wanted to pass on my best wishes to David ! Hope you are feeling perky again soon ! Karen X
6 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:48AM
nasmijati
@Robin. My goodness, you need Auntie Eztia, too? Take care of you first. The bushes will wait for you.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:49AM
armygirl1987
pattyanb, I had rassle with that idea on an old dilemma but want the booth type seating, but I am going to wait and see what the estimates come up with because I was in a furniture store and they had floor sample for $299 and with buying that bed I might have to be frugal
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:49AM
mpoulsom
ok bob...had to share this. I could not sleep last night which is NOT like me at all. I tossed and turned and then finally got up about 3:25am. Ate a couple bites of chocolate drizzled kettlecorn, then hit the couch with Fooey. Guess who I dreamt about, although this was not a dream dream, but disturbing, and the main character in my dream was Dylan McDermott, but he was someone else in reality, in my dream. WEIRD! All my dreams are strange though. That's normal for me.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:54AM
armygirl1987
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:55AM
armygirl1987
mpoulson you are something else. but he is a cutie though
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:56AM
mpoulsom
angela...yes i am something else....not sure what!!!!???? :)
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:03AM
Robin W
I've had troubles with my ears for years. I want tubes in my ears but the last specialist was on crack and told me that my ears weren't the problem, it was my nose. Ive been putting off finding another specialist, but I think I need to get on it now since the majority of the last 2 1/2 months, I've been waking up with earaches.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 10:11AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I noticed that David had not been posting as frequently and had hoped that it was because he was able to work more and Houzz less. I see from bobbi that he has had a setback.

David, rest and get stronger. Take care of yourself. Prayers go out for your recovery.
5 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:14AM
nasmijati
@Robin. Yep. Sounds like it is time to make an appointment with an otorhinolaryngologist (ORL), which is the the newer term for an Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) physician. Get one who is Board Certified.
Hugs, Auntie Eztia
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:15AM
Robin W
On the bright side, I had a patient guess my age the other night (for some reason my patients like to ask how old I am). He thought I was 26. I was almost flattered since I turn 35 next week. I also might have believed him if hadn't been on a 24 hour crack binge.
5 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:23AM
mousemaker
MP I wish I could go with you! Robin go to the doctor!!! David get better!! Ez thank you! Angela, thank you for supporting me.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:29AM
Jayme H.
@Robin..ha ha...and people who say I am great looking have serious visual problems! LOL
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:32AM
armygirl1987
Mouse funny thing, I had more issues with racism than sexual harassment in the military, even though I had to fight to prove myself once I did I was accepted completely. But I had to fight against racist males than anything else. Never had an issue with other females. My whole twenty one years never had any issues with being asked to do anything that I did not want to do for favors or rank.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:37AM
armygirl1987
Well time to go shopping for moms. Check in later...
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 10:41AM
Jayme H.
Wear your seatbelt on the road Angela!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 10:51AM
mpoulsom
happy shopping!

mousemaker, come on down! great art, music, dance and i forgot...FOODIE!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:53AM
pattyannb
Does anyone know of a site I can go to look up plant stands? I am thinking about making some box type with tile, but not sure of the tile choice and would like to see some ideas... maybe Mediterranean or Tropical??
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:05AM
Robin W
This is today's project. All the bushes come out.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:08AM
mpoulsom
Oh my gosh! You better have on LONG sleeves, gloves, work boots, and jeans woman!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:20AM
kimdee24
Robin -- that's a lot of work! And sorry about your ears. I came home from Mexico in February with some kind of nasty ear infection that basically left me deaf in one ear for months and a ruptured eardrum. It was no fun, and they're still not quite right. Hope they can do something, earaches are the worst.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:20AM
mpoulsom
have you tried Pinterest patty? There may be something on there...
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:21AM
nasmijati
@patty.
This is the only "tiled planter" I could find on Houzz.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:22AM
mpoulsom
are you going to sawzall them down first and then dig them up?
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:23AM
mpoulsom
that's that mosaic one that I was inspired by, ez!
made from concrete blocks and a brilliant idea!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:24AM
Robin W
I was just looking up concrete planters last night. You can make some pretty nice ones with one bag :)

And it's too hot today for long sleeves but I'm wearing hot work boots and pants. Have 4 hours cause I have to get it to the dump today too. Have to use my truck tomorrow to get my bike downtown for the bike team season pre-ride.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:29AM
nasmijati
@patty. Here are a few more photos...

I like the last photo. It reminds me of tiled stair risers.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:30AM
pattyannb
Robin! Lots of work there woman... Be careful with that ear! Don't want to scare you, and only because I care, but if you get too much buld up in your ear it could be bad...

Love it eztia! Thank You...

@mp... my computer doesn't like Pinterest... not sure why... my son wants me to install firefox... beginning to think I should... I have had explorer for so long....
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:32AM
mpoulsom
i've got the firefox here at work and it's amazing the difference from home on explorer!

Robin.....that first one ez showed are actually concrete blocks with the 2 holes in the middle. cheap and done! You just have to have a spot to leave them, pour your potting soil in the holes and add your plants! This girl does mosaic tile work and decorated the outside of the block! I thought it was a great idea. A wooden box would be lighter to move however, if you wanted to make one.
I am a fan of mosaics. I like to use broken tiles and glass beads and jewelry and whatever scraps I find around.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:36AM
nasmijati
@patty. Here are some more images for you...
I can attach four at a time. I do not know if they will enlarge or not. I am using an iPad.
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:40AM
pattyannb
I am thinking about putting them (3) in front of my post and plant either clamatis or mandevilla in them to climb up the post...
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:40AM
nasmijati
@patty. The last of the lot. Have fun!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:41AM
pattyannb
Oh wow! where are you finding those? I have been looking for days! (well 2)....
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:41AM
mpoulsom
Robin, I don't care how hot it is! wear LONG THICK sleeves....especially if that is juniper in there! They will scratch and irritate the crap out of your skin! Speaking from experience!
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:43AM
nasmijati
@patty. I entered "tiled planter" into the search box on Google.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 11:45AM
pattyannb
Well, there you go again... I have bing... my computer doesn't like Google either...
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:48AM
pattyannb
I am beginning to think Bill Gates has too much control over my computer...
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 11:49AM
Well my goodness! Aren't we the Chatty Cathy's? I turn my back for one minute, and I have 79 new emails!
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 12:04PM
The Jack Reacher movie is out on DVD now. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth buying/renting?
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 12:21PM
kimdee24
bobbi -- I have no interest in it. I wish I did.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 12:38PM
Robin W
1 1/2 hours almost and I got the darned bushes trimmed but I still have to dig out the stumps and then trim out the green monsters. My truck is almost full though so the green demons might have to wait.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 12:42PM
Ok, thanks kimdee.

Robin, slow down, you're putting me to shame!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 12:45PM
kimdee24
If you decide to see it bobbi, let me know what you think, ok?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:01PM
Will do! Doubt if I'll buy it, maybe Redbox it. But for sure I'll let you know :))
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:15PM
Robin W
I guess I forgot I'm allergic to evergreens. My arms are big masses of itch.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:21PM
kimdee24
Uh oh!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 1:22PM
pattyannb
Hi... Robin are those Junipers? Can you pull them out with your truck?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:29PM
Junipers make me itch too! I thought it was because they're prickly?
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 1:30PM
Jayme H.
Look at this from another thread: Interesting:

We moved into a new house, and we are in the process of making our outdoor spaces more private. We are installing bamboo privacy fence (10 ft), privacy lattice, cedars...anything and everything so that when I want to enjoy my backyard I don't have to worry about my neighbours gawking at me. It is interesting how some people in our neighbourhood are taking offence to our design choices. Not sure why ones design choices would affect someone else.
6 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:31PM
Dave, if this is a recurrence, you have done this before and you can do it again. Just remember all the four letter words you know and scream them out once in awhile. If you run out of words, we will make some up for you.

Start with this: "f ugly" It can be an adverb as in I feel fugly. It can be an adjective as in This is a fugly disease. Or just, did you see that fugly house in the last post?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:37PM
bobbi, totally missed yesterday. You fell? O K? Hi, all.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:38PM
Hi Judy! No I didn't fall! I just twisted and turned badly, not like I used to do in High School. It's just not the same any more, is it!!!

What's happening in your world today?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:54PM
Jayme H.
@bobbi...It continues....These r not my words:

If someone renovated and you no longer have sunlight...what did you expect them to do? Ask to come into your yard to inspect if you would have enough light?? This is life, it's not different than living in a home, and then having the city build a 30 storey condo next door and losing you privacy, light, as well as a lot of other things. (It happened to me) What did I do, yup, same thing as other commenter...MOVE. This is what you do when you don't like something you cannot control. I didn't sit around and complain about it to neighbours, or on a house site.....I moved!

Not my words again..copy & paste.

Having a rough time keeping my big trap shut!!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:55PM
Jayme, that's really interesting. But of course your design (or lack thereof) choices affect your neighbors, especially the choices for the outside. I'm not sure this is a design choice, but at any given time my next door neighbor has at least four cars and two motorcycles in his driveway, on the street, on his front lawn. He's in his 80's and he still rides his motorcycles. It's scary, let me tell you. And there are only two drivers in that house.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:57PM
Jayme, copy paste the URL, I'd love to read this one!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 1:58PM
kimdee24
Omg, Jayme. How about a little tiny bit of consideration for others? Why is that so hard for some people? Please tell me that's not in ASVs thread.
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 1:58PM
Jayme H.
We had a neighbor who got married and her new husband brought an old pickup and an old boat and trailer and two old cars..He parked his boat and truck in front of all the neighbor's homes instead of his own...people started to park their cars in front of their homes so they didn't have to look at the old boat..The marriage only lasted a few months though..so he and his stuff is now gone.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 2:01PM
Jayme H.
@Bobbi...I will try, my computer doesn't let me most of the time for some dumb reason..This woman is something else though!

@kimdee...isn't that something? No, not ASV's thread, but I immediately thought of her...Astrea is commmenting on it.also.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:03PM
Weird! I don't know why this bugs me, but we have neighbors down the street that rent out their backyard for parties and weddings, stuff like that, so every weekend there's a strange car or two parked in front of our house. Simple solution - turn the sprinklers on! We have this one, stray sprinkler.....hehehe

Did you copy/paste the URL?
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:03PM
What's the dilemma title? I'll search it.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 2:04PM
mousemaker
Angela, no one should have to prove themselves to be accepted in that way..we should be accepted as equals and all prove ourselves the same way for the same reasons..not some for separate reasons. i'm sorry you had to go through that.
5 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:07PM
Jayme H.
It's an ideabook entitled "Do These Surprising Contemporary Exteriors Hint at the Future?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:08PM
mousemaker
This is why bullying needs to be stopped--the cycle of it--because usually bullies have been bullied from what I have read and been told by those who work in the field. They come in all sorts and they're not just men. in fact, I've run into a few on here.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:09PM
Got it Jayme, thanks! I'm going to read thru this and then I must get my butt off the sofa and get something done today!!!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:11PM
mousemaker
ROBBBBBINNNNN I missed your post (I typed POAST by mistake) about taking out all those bushes. holy cats!!
I hope you have some sharp shovels, a couple of hatchets and probably an axe and a heavy clippers. you will need them. We took out some lilacs and boy oh boy. gnarled awful gnarls :) deep roots to China.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 2:14PM
kimdee24
I couldn't keep my trap shut. Sometimes, I just can't.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:21PM
You mean holy cats, Batman? Get it??? Batman? Robin??? Oh Lordy.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:22PM
Kimdee, don't worry, it won't be long before Emily the Sweet swoops in and deletes.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:23PM
astraea
Bobbi – yes, volunteer & political work. Sorry to hear that David is sick .. I’m sending him healing thoughts too!

Angela – it finally stopped raining in NJ and was nice.

Mousemaker – Still not sure what the Fitbit does, or why you’d need it. I’ve reached a point of not wanting electronic gizmos to “track” anything I do!

I was going great guns this morning, but ran out of steam after I did my errands, came home & had lunch.

Jayme - I'll have to check that discussion; I think it came from one of the Houzz update articles. I'll have to hunt for it ..
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 2:23PM
mousemaker
Our health insurer offered them to us because they are trying to promote preventative health care, which I support :) I wanted one to monitor my sleep because I have sleep issues, but most people use them for weight loss and exercise and related things. they are really fun. You get badges :)
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:28PM
Robin W
Well truck is full to overflowing and the bed isn't totally clean, but mostly cut down. Hopefully you can see... I can't really see much on my phone outside.
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:29PM
Jayme H.
The article really is about people putting up contemporary homes in non-contemporary neighborhoods...I was just struck by the complete disregard for others in those comments.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:29PM
Astraea, yes it did, and you were a major player in it! With SierraJones, remember?

Robin, if you killed what's left in the bed, would they be easier to dig up? I have no idea, just throwing it out there.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 2:31PM
kimdee24
I have been outside for the last hour on a sprinkler head hunt. The sprinkler guys are here, and what should have been a one-day project for them getting everyone's systems up and running has become a huge hassle. The landscapers sodded over all the heads, and the ground control boxes!

Now I am waiting for the showhome to open so I can go down there and let them know my back lawn is in serious need of a rolling out with the sod roller before it stays like that -- it's a bumpy and dippy mess. The guys who did this last fall (while it was snowing) were in such a rush they basically just threw it down, didn't roll the dirt out first. There is a huge dip just off my back patio that needs to be leveled out.

Mega-sigh.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:33PM
Jayme H.
Really had to bite my tongue...Obviously she is not having neighborhood barbeque's at her place...she is "blocking out" all the gawkers.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 2:35PM
kimdee24
I'm sure they're all gawking at her wonderful self, too. Because they have nothing better to do.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:37PM
astraea
This article is, "Do These Surprising Contemporary Exteriors Hint at the Future?"

When I was on my town's Planning Board, we had a case where a flag lot had been grandfathered use of the driveway up thru the adjacent lot. The new owner of the street lot wanted to separate their driveway, meaning that the flag lot would have the expense of putting in their own driveway all the way up from the street .. and the owner balked. The hearing went on for a long time, and the owner of the flag lot was very uncooperative, saying they'd just drive up the totally unfinished strip of land on the hill. The town felt that it was unsafe to expect emergency vehicles .. like a firetruck or other emergency vehicle .. to have to drive up that hill unpaved, so they held up approval of the other lot owner removing & relocating the driveway, until the flag lot owner was forced to put in their own access! It's a safety thing. I'm glad that one poster doesn't live near me!!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:45PM
Linda
OK...here's the latest on my gardening project...I didn't get the daylilies planted the other day as other things went to hell and I got off track. I was hoping to get them in the ground today, but the showers showed up before I got there. Instead I was busy pulling little maple trees and pruning the dead lower limbs off the evergreen trees in the backyard. The lot is only slightly over 40 feet wide so I need to prune all I can along the side and make it look as wide as possible.

That lot would be perfect for someone who wanted to put in a garden as the soil is good, with a slight slope down towards the house and also towards the north which is the right hand side as you look at the back fence. There is a 6 foot tall wooden privacy fence on the south side and the trees are just inside that fence. Right now there's no separation between my lot and the house next door north as the prior owners had 3 houses in a row and grew veggies across the back of all three lots. The house has a deck, patio, little tiny garden areas each side with three steps up to an gated arbor which leads to the back of the lot. The back of the garage has a couple bushes which are in bloom right now and smell absolutely wonderful...I think they're korean honeysuckle. There's a couple of lilac bushes and some sedum plants along the south side

It's such a shame I don't have time and the house isn't worth enough money to invest a bit in the backyard. I could see a little playhouse/garden shed in the back corner but a seating area and a flagstone path curving around a backyard pond with a short stream and a small water feature at the top running down toward the house. It's fun to think about how to do it, as long as I don't have to actually do the work.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:47PM
Linda, if I lived closer, I would totally help you :))
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 2:50PM
Robin W
I'd be there in a heartbeat if I was closer.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:55PM
mousemaker
I would watch and make lemonade :)
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:55PM
mpoulsom
well, our little backyard renovation has prompted our neighbors behind us to get their little backyard corner all cleaned up and improved! He even leaned over last night and thanked me for inspiring him to clean up that section of their yard! and his wife is happy about it too! I told them I would invite them over for food one night when we are totally finished with everything. Almost done, so not too long from now!

I only have one neighbor on the street that I have a real problem with......it's down 3 houses though. I just don't like driving past it. Lots of garbage on the front lawn and in the driveway and just a big clutter fudge! There is a big family (mostly adults now) that shouldn't be sharing a house that size is what it boils down to! way too many cars, too many toy, too many projects, too many dogs! :) and they seem to be very sweet people, that's the bad part!
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:57PM
Linda
Astrea - did the owner of that flag lot have a legal, recorded easement to use the neighbor's driveway? our city no longer permits flag lots but we have some properties in town with legal courts accessing only a couple of houses which sit in the middle of irregular shaped blocks.

I am so tired of dealing with people who don't have any regards for others. My pet peeve is always the boom box vehicles and also the lazy people who drive up to a house and honk the horn instead of getting out to ring the doorbell or calling the person on a cell phone to say they've arrived.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:58PM
MP, sometimes I wonder if neighbors like yours are super sweet because they don't want anyone turning them in to the city! Or, worse, if they're hiding something....
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:58PM
mpoulsom
oh linda..you know i'd be there too!
i still like bob's idea of making a fake garden to sell it!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:06PM
mpoulsom
bobbi, those sweet people are probably illegal as hell! lol!

Linda, have you ever seen that company that does like a fake staging of retail and business property...very clever idea I think. Like in a downtown area that has empty buildings in between other businesses? They actually pay a company to create a large photo/pic/graphic of a scene, like a bakery, or a restaurant, bike shop, clothing store, whatever....and it fits into the glass windows out front, but makes people with no imagination get an idea of what it COULD be! Fantastic marketing for realtors I think!
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:10PM
astraea
Linda – It was more than 5 years ago, so I don’t remember all the details, but there had been an agreement between the owners. It wasn’t something that could be enforced once either owner sold their lot.

Having been on both the Planning & Zoning Board, and knowing how some homeowners would do things without consideration of their neighbors .. much less zoning & building codes, I would never just assume that what a neighbor did was OK by default, if it seemed wrong to me. For example, we had restrictions on trees removed from the buffer zones (setbacks), and I called in about my neighbor having tree people in to remove a few. When the clerk told me she’d “let me know”, I told her it had to be NOW, because finding out the neighbor “did wrong” after the trees were cut down, wasn’t going to help at all!
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:11PM
Linda
@ Robin - don't ignore those ear problems. I've had ear problems in the past and had one major ear infection and ended up losing about half the hearing in my right ear overnight. I started that morning with a stuffy nose and ended up by midnight in total agony. I always have to be careful to take decongestants as soon as I start feeling the slightest touch of a stuffy nose or I end up with major sinus headaches. In my case, the doctor says it is a deviated septum, so it is in the nose. I know exactly where too, because each time I have problems I can feel the pain radiating from that one place on the side of my nose just underneath where the nosepad of my glasses sits.

I've had good luck with the hot drinks and the vapor inhalers. Mint oil on a cloth works too.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:12PM
astraea
For all of you ladies who multi-task, and those you are music lovers, check out this video: http://www.wimp.com/brassband/
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:21PM
Linda
That video is amazing...thanks
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 3:27PM
mousemaker
okay no fair posting when I am not here!!! :) new House rules :) :)
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 3:28PM
That's pretty good! Where on earth did you find that?
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 3:28PM
kimdee24
Soooooo....did i mention, I think I did, how my builder used my house as a showhome a few weeks ago? I was just down there, and he asked me if I would mind if they came and took professional photos of the interior for their website.... !
6 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:29PM
Excellent! How cool is that?
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:33PM
mpoulsom
Here's a before and after of an empty building....all fake, just big blown up photos on windows....The company is called Shopjackets and i think they are from London? Anyway....nothing like triggering someone's imagination for selling or renting a property!
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:34PM
astraea
Bobbi - Was that about the video I posted? A cousin sent it to me, but I'd also seen it before .. pretty amazing!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 3:38PM
kimdee24
bobbi -- I'm kind of shocked actually -- I wasn't expecting that!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 3:39PM
kimdee24
mp -- what a great idea!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 3:39PM
astraea
MP - not on the same level, but many years ago, when parts of The Bronx (NYC) were in very bad shape, and there were empty highrises around, they began putting in "fake windows" like that. They'd have curtains & windowboxes with flowers painted on them, and it looked a lot better than a burned out or abandonned hulk.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 3:40PM
Linda
Our city has decorated store windows in the downtown area at Christmas time. They try to work with local realtors and put displays in all the vacant shop windows in the area. Anything is better than just a regular for rent/for sale sign in the window
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:16PM
I've never seen Chicago's displays, but New York's are amazing!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 4:26PM
pattyannb
Spelling police in Houzz?? Good Lord!

Oh, and just a pet peeve of mine. ESPRESSO is eSpresso, there is NO x in the word. The word is NOT eXpresso. That is not a word. Pleeeeease don't use the non-word ever again.
3 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:49PM
Robin W
So many times I've wanted to correct folks on their spelling, but I bit my tongue. Hard.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:53PM
Whaaaat????
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 4:56PM
pattyannb
Oh.. Sorry Robin... Well, I am a bad speller...
How are you feeling? Better I hope..
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 4:56PM
pattyannb
Robin you mentioned seeing something about making concrete planters with a bag? Did you keep that site? I would like to check it out...
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 5:02PM
olldroo
Phew - ladies (and rooster) you have really excelled yourself today - 208 emails, and that was when I first started an hour and 15 mins ago.

Way toooooooo much to remember everything now but I do like the idea of that Fitbit. Have to see if I can get one here. Mouse, do you have any idea how much they are? I can always get LAdd to bring one out next month.

Robin, thank you, now I know your are only half my age I can cease to be impressed by what you achieve each day. Yep, I do remember those days and the speed I had too.

Angela, I'm on the same wavelength as Patty, I like the idea of a round table and chairs, probably because I hate sliding in and out of those booth settings. Otherwise I do like the ones with part fixed seating and the table and a couple of chairs separate. I think it is more versatile. The Dwyer kitchen you posted has dark timber with different coloured kitchen cupboards so I think going dark grey or black would be fine - even going for a painted finish and then you could use pretty much any colour you liked.

From vet shows we have on TV here it seems all doggie manners can be improved by various training methods based on the fact that the dog is bored or has been given the wrong message of acceptable behaviour. This website looks like it might have some interesting ideas for you
http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/how-to-stop-dogs-from-digging.html
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:34PM
olldroo
Special note to Dave, thinking of you and praying hard, mate, hoping this is just a little hiccup, you have done so well. God bless.
5 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 5:37PM
Dave, thinking of you tonight. You are a strong man. You have your son. And, you have a date with Carolyn next December. bobbi will hunt you down and slap you silly if you don't get better. Trust me, you don't want to deal with bobbi.
4 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 6:54PM
Damn skippy!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 6:56PM
Robin W
@roo - aww. I'll figure out how to impress you yet :)

@patty - feeling ok. The ears are usually good during the day - but overnight they start causing me grief. I think it's because I'm laying down so gravity isn't helping.

I can't recall the specific site for the planters. I googled 'concrete planters'. Lots of great ideas and photos.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 7:35PM
pattyannb
Thank You Robin... glad you are feeling OK...
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:37PM
olldroo
Bobbi - What did skippy do? You are talking my rellies here.

Ahhhh, Robin, age does lots of things to people - including making them cynical. Have you had your sinuses checked? My Gdd had problems with hers for years, ear aches, headaches, everything and she had an op and has had no problems since.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:09PM
kimdee24
@Robin -- hope you get some relief for those ears. I know how miserable it can make you feel.

Goodnight, Ms Roo... I hope you're having a good day so far. :)
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:19PM
olldroo
Night kd - not as productive a day as I would have liked, I think I burnt myself out doing the kitchen. Think I will stay off the air tomorrow and Sunday and try for another blitz. Behave all.
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:31PM
pattyannb
OK... Roo... Is this daytime for you?....
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:49PM
olldroo
Yes, it is 2.52 pm to be precise, just having a late lunch.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:52PM
olldroo
To confuse you further, for West Coast we are 7 hours behind but a day in front.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:53PM
pattyannb
And it's Friday?.... I am in the Pacific Northwest... I must say, I love meeting people around the world...
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:57PM
olldroo
Yep it is Friday, so you know if I'm here the world hasn't ended - handy when the Mayans come out of the woods. It is a lot of fun just picking up on different ways we do things, our outlook, attitudes and lifestyle, but I especially love the language ...... amazing how we all speak English so differently (and spell it too)
2 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:00PM
pattyannb
And, sorry... it's 10pm here on Thursday... And I must get my sleep... Hope to read you soon!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 10:02PM
olldroo
Oops, something is wrong there, by my calculations it should be 10pm West Coast and you have to add another 3 hours to that. Damned Daylight Savings throws me out - lost it now.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 10:05PM
astraea
I got a real surprise last night; the only other women who graduated from the engineering school my year, called last night!! I haven't seen or spoken to her in about 30 years! Our 40th reunion is the end of May. I had written it off, because it's in Manhattan & not particularly convenient, but maybe I will go Friday/Saturday.
3 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 3:46AM
How fun! And how nice of her to call!
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 3:51AM
astraea
She's "on the committee". I think the reunion is for all the 10th anniversary classes .. 1973, '83, 93, and 2003. I said that the disincentive is not knowing who else is attending. If there are few people from your particular class, it's not much fun spending a very expensive day with strangers.
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 4:06AM
Good point. Can you ask her?
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 4:10AM
astraea
I did; people are "thinking about it".
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 4:17AM
mousemaker
I wish that Houzz had "earburning" like another place I post :) because i'm sure I miss some of the places where people write to me and I would like to answer.
ummm oh olldroo? the FitBit comes in different varieties, so the cost depends on which one you get. Their site is informative, you can probably find all you need to know there. We have the FitBit Ones. I know some people have the Zip and some have the new Flex. it's really a personal choice, but our health provider gave us the Ones.
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 8:46AM
olldroo
mouse - you should get emails everytime a comment is added to a thread you have commented on unless you choose to opt out. I usually leave my options open until I see the thread has had its day, so to speak, and then opt out to reduce my inbox.

Thanks for the Fitbit info. I did check the website but didn't see price, although many don't put prices. I will send it to LAdd and have her look into it for me, I'm sure they aren't available here and would probably be twice the price anyway.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 8:56AM
mousemaker
oh no that's not what I meant. it's whenever you use the person's name it can be highlighted and then you get a notice in your inbox. well, we don't have those do we ? :) it's a diff. system :)
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 9:02AM
mousemaker
The FB one I think is $99 and the Zip is about half that. The Flex I don't know...
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 9:03AM
mousemaker
There are some similar items out there, but this is nice because they have apps and stuff :) and you can enter your daily info if you want and track your life and there are oh no Forums!!! which I am not not not on!!
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 9:04AM
olldroo
I get you, mouse, it would be unusual for anyone to mention someone's name though if they hadn't already commented though wouldn't it? If anyone did want to contact you, they can put a message on your ideabook and you will get it that way.

Actually, you reminded me, dd got a goggle for her sneakers that is compatible with an iPod but that is only a pedometer I think. I can't buy that here either. I like the sound of the sleep monitoring though. Lately I have been having fabulous sleeps but I would still like to know how good they are.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 9:11AM
mousemaker
i'm not sure how the ideabook messaging works :) I have tried to send PM's to several people but they have blocks on their personal info so I have no idea? the other site has options below your comments too where you can click "funny" "agree" "disagree" "interesting" "educational" "love" so we always ask where's the "jealous" button? :)
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 10:48AM
mousemaker
The sleep monitoring is great. I can see how much sleep I don't get :) also, you can use it as an alarm. there is a vibration you can set for it and it's on your wrist so it wakes you up without waking up the other person with you, should there be one :) these records are kept over a long period of time so you can show your doctor or caregiver. it's a great tool.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 10:49AM
OLLD 9/5
I think somebody or somebodies are sleeping in today..........was...
S. Thomas Kutch
Would love this 59.5" Vanity but with only one sink
Do you sell this combination? If so, can you please...
hulamom
OLLD 9/9
Happy Monday morning everybody.........up and at em........
S. Thomas Kutch
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Best thing to happen at home in 2014?
Our homes are where our lives unfold. What was the...
Need help turning an unusable closet into a kitchen pantry
We just moved into an adorable 50s ranch and as you...
freckles1215
Need to fit five kids in this room
Need to fit five kids in this room. Two 13yrs olds...
happycl8
i want to decorate my full bathroom with "BEACH SCENERY"
sea shells ,beach pictures, very modern decor,walls...
Kim Penna-Good