Tile/stone ideas for fireplace
Mel Gia
We are redoing a 70s closed-in box style fireplace with an attached built-in shelf. The pictures shows work in progress. The oak floor is going in, walls and chimney breast are painted in Farrow & Ball's "skimming stone" colour (a warm off-white). We'd appreciate any ideas for what material to use on top of the fireplace surround and shelf. I was thinking of a grey tile. Any other great ideas?
cbminteriors
A lovely dark grey slate?
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:26AM
Mel Gia
Thanks for the suggestion! I am a little worried about going too dark with the tile. I think a dark material would look great near the actual fireplace itself but on the extended shelf it may be too much. The room is quite small (with high sloping ceilings) and it could be overpowering. Although, something with a natural/raw finish, like slate, sounds good.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:32AM
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Here are some images that might help you. The first image is an ostrich grey stacked slate on the floor from Arizona tile. The 2nd pic is Emser's 2x2 mosaic called Motion. The 3rd pic is a different color but very unique deco from Porcelanosa MOSAICO MOON BEIGE SANDSTONE
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:10PM
Nick Dellos Creations
Hi there in Switzerland. I wonder if that brand of paint is as expensive there as it is here :). But it is a great brand.

The picture is not really showing the vent overhang adequately. It looks like it is adding a bit of challenge to the flow of the area but I could be mistaken.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:53PM
Stikwood
I think STIKWOOD would look great on that wall behind the fireplace!! Check out our reclaimed white weathered wood. Stikwood is 100% real wood, EASY to install, DIY, cost effective solution that yields extraordinary results for ordinary spaces. Good luck! :)
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 2:56PM
Mel Gia
Thanks for the replies. Yes, F&B paint is expensive (about $175 for 5 liters) but the depth and tone of the color is hard to replicate. It goes on the wall so beautifully, 5 liters goes a long, long way. Regarding the hearth and shelf top, I have been scouting some local suppliers and have fallen in love with the idea of natural stone. I am keen to have another natural material in the room. I saw a gorgeous grey stone with a lighter grey/cream seam through it. Will try and remember to post a photo if and when I get it installed.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:19AM
cbminteriors
The stone sounds great. Cannot believe what F&B paint costs over there!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:57AM
daveyola
What about a light stone veneer along the bottom? Like at this place http://www.stoneyard.com/stone-products/veneer/newport-mist-strips/
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:05AM
Bar stool questions
Are these barstools okay or should I use something...
PREPAINT WALL PREP
I would like feedback from pro painters and very experienced...
Need help with floor color
We have a new home being built and it has 11ft. celings....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Home office help
First, my husband and I want to put 2 desks in our...