Bathroom mirrors
tamigirl1
What size of mirrors would be to scale for this area? Disregard the mirrors in the picture. We are doing three individual frameless mirrors with an arched top, with two sconces flanking the middle mirror. Our choices right now are 24x36 or 24x38. My eye tells me to do the larger one, now I need a professionals opinion. Thanks in advance!
Main Line Kitchen Design
The lower desk height countertop will be uncomfortable to sit at with the higher tops hitting your elbows on each side. I would make the top all one height and sit at a stool instead of a chair. The arched doors to the wall cabinets on the two sides are also out of fashion for what it's worth.Too many ached things with different radius-es looks funny too. I would get square tops on the wall cabinet doors. Just my two bits.
May 9, 2013 at 12:17pm   
Madeline
I usually agree with Main Line Kitchen Design. But in this instance I have personal knowledge. My makeup area is "sunken" also, 24" wide, and I've not hit my elbows yet. Also I tend to think balancing on a stool doing makeup is better done in the movies and on set than in our home bathrooms.
May 9, 2013 at 12:26pm     
Main Line Kitchen Design
Madeline you must be petite and easygoing. Also, the stool would only be a 24" high stool so your feet still rest on the floor.

Tamigirl- just put two thick books 23" apart next time you apply makeup sitting down and see if the they bother you. If not - go for it! If I was applying makeup (I swear it is a rare occasion) in that tight a space it would make me crazy, but I have a very low threshold for frustration.

I also like the added countertop at the higher height for use while standing at the sink. With the two sinks and the wall cabinets coming all the way down you really don't have much usable countertop for such a wide space, and two uses for the same area is better than one.
May 9, 2013 at 12:47pm   
tamigirl1
The cabinetry turned out beautifully and I have yet to hit my elbows. I don't hit my knees either and we have plenty of space around the sink areas. Anybody have any advice on the mirrors?
May 9, 2013 at 1:04pm   
oldhousegirl
What is the height of the cabinet opening? Does it go all the way to the ceiling and are they 8 ft. ceilings? I think I would go with the shorter mirrors as I feel like it's going to get a bit top heavy.
May 9, 2013 at 1:29pm   
tamigirl1
Yes they are 8 ft ceilings and the cabinetry does go all the way to the top. Thank you for your opinion, it always helps.
May 9, 2013 at 2:03pm   
Help me re-style the buffet please
This antique buffet also serves as a foyer piece and...
Need help with the bathroom vanity
I want to change my bathroom vanity but the walls are...
Carpet or Hardwoods
I'm redoing a basement family room. it's is fairly...
Need help with curb appeal
This is my grandparents home that I will moving into...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...