To antique/distress or not?
pbla
We are building and our kitchen is u-shaped. Part of the "u" is a peninsula or snack bar which will have pecky cypress legs. While stained cabinetry is our preference, we originally wanted just this bar to have an antique white or black finish to give contrast to the pecky posts/legs. Our builder and painter both feel we can't only paint the peninsula because the transition from paint to stain would look odd. Their recommendation is either paint all lower cabinets OR stain everything OR paint everything. Thoughts? This would be easier if it were a stand-alone island.
Brenda
You should search U-shaped kitchens on Houzz and see if there is anything like you are talking about.

Usually when there is a cabinet style or finish change, it involves a stand-alone island. Can't say that I have ever seen it done in a smaller U-shaped kitchen
May 9, 2013 at 12:15pm     
pbla
I've searched but found nothing. I guess that means it's a no-no. The only transition along connected cabinetry I've seen is when areas such as sinks are offset....giving the look of furniture.
May 9, 2013 at 12:22pm   
0825sam
If you seach houzz kitchens for hutch you will see examples of hutches painted out at the end of or within a line of cabinets. I honestly don't know if the same concept would work for you, but that could give you a visual other than the sinks you've seen.
Here's an example

May 9, 2013 at 12:32pm     
pbla
Now that I see the Capital Hill Kitchen, though it's far different from our style of kitchen, I see that a different material such as bead board on the two sides facing living area would have made the transition more sensible.
May 9, 2013 at 12:44pm   
pbla
We are going for a country/farm house feel. The peninsula extends for stools on both the outside and just a little on the narrow end. What if the walls of those two sides had a simple wainscoting created with 1x4's and were then finished in an antique white or distressed black to give contrast to the pecky cypress legs. The "inside" of the kitchen and upper cabinets would all be stained.
May 9, 2013 at 1:18pm   
pbla
May 9, 2013 at 1:19pm   
Paint for bedroom
Hi there, I need help choosing a color paint to use...
countertop for white cabinets travertine floor and back splash
We have light travertine floor and backsplash, and...
Decoration
We finally finished our living room totally inspired...
Wood or Tile Baseboard in Bathrooms??
I am renovating 2 bathrooms in my home and have chosen...
What is missing on my kitchen cabinet tops?
Please give me advice on the decor for my kitchen cabinet...