Awkward angle in kitchen - need storage solution!
Christie
Hi all,
I live in a condo with some odd and awkward angles. We are lacking on space and storage, especially in the kitchen. We only have one bank of drawers. Agh!
Anyhow, I'm looking for suggestions on a storage solution for a spot in the kitchen, with an awkward angle, to the left of counter pass-through spot. Would it be better to try and custom build some shelves to fit, or any ideas on some sort of cabinet? I would like to keep things closed to not show all the clutter.

The pictures I attached are not my condo, but of another one in the building with the exact same floor plan, etc. It's for sale right now so I just borrowed some pics since I am not home to take some of my own.
I've marked the spot in a red box on the pics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks so much :)

- Christie
HERE Design and Architecture
So are you trying to get some storage under that pass-through?
May 9, 2013 at 3:14pm   
Christie
to the left of it, on the wall where the picture frame is :)
May 9, 2013 at 3:16pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
You could have something designed and built that incorporated the whole wall, including the pass-through within it. Not sure it will make much sense visually if you put one thing off by itself.
May 9, 2013 at 3:48pm   
Sharon
Do you own or rent?
May 10, 2013 at 3:37am   
Christie
@Sharon - we own :)

Our building skills and budget are small, hence why we were thinking some sort of cabinet or shelving, but are definitely open to ideas and suggestions as we want to get the most of out it (also for resale value)

May 10, 2013 at 9:19am     
Ed
Hi Christie, maybe it's the lens (wide-angle ? fish-eye ?) of the camera, but many lines appear to be curved in your photos. I cannot always tell if a line is actually straight in real life, or whether it's actually curved in real life. Could you post the same photos, taken from the same angles, but with a less wide-angle lens, so that straight lines appear more straight in the photos ? :)
( This could make a difference for designers to come up with suggestions -- are we trying to fit something with a straight edge, or with a curved edge. Also, the angle where the 2 surfaces meet in your red marked area -- the angle will appear larger than in real life, if the photo was taken with a very wide-angle lens. :)
May 10, 2013 at 9:27am   
Weersing Furniture Design
I think a free-standing piece in that location might look awkward...pinched in between the pass-through and door opening. It might work if it could be very tall and narrow, but that would not provide much storage. A built-in incorporating an extension of the counter surface of the pass-through might be the best solution. Another possibility might be to utilize some of the pass-through opening to hang cabinets or shelving.
May 10, 2013 at 11:32am     
Need Creative Solutions for Old, Incredibly Awkward Kitchen!
We recently bought our first house. It is just a tad...
Awkward Blind Corner in Kitchen--Cabinet Solution?
The blind corner in our kitchen is made even more awkward...
Awkward Staircase Solution Needed
We have this staircase in the middle of our main floor...
"storage solution for kitchen dish, hand soap and sponges?"
I am a clutter free person but with 3 kids under 5...
Need help figuring out a storage solution
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out the best storage...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
What type of ceiling is this? Groin vault? Cove?
Anyone have any idea what that would be called? I am...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Need inspiration for a pathway
The only entry points into my home is the walkway from...