Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesker

Ideas for colors on porches/doors ?

Joyce E
10 years ago
As part of a renovation, we added a new exterior door/porch, which has a roof, and added a roof over existing front door. We are going to keep the siding color the same, which is the dark redwood color that you can see up on the old siding on second floor. Previously the doors including garage door were a warm tan, and I am thinking of keeping something about the same, I want a color that will work with the brown roof shingles on those porches.
So here are my design dilemmas and I would love to hear people's ideas - for the roof support brackets, should we paint them same as the siding so that they just blend in and disappear, or go for some contrast and paint them same color as the doors?
And looking for suggestions for the beadboard porch ceilings. Natural poly, or maybe a creamy off-white?
Thanks for your ideas!

Comments (25)

• libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Roof support brackets should be like trim, (now white, moving to camel) trim, but not like siding and not like door color. Leave the secondary door the trim color and the front door should get an accent color. So, personally, I would put the camel / warm tan on the garage door and the secondary door. sw has outerbanks that I used as the exemplar, but you will find the right one for your place.

Go back and put the tan trim around the windows, since the white sashes are popping off the redwood color and the tan/ camel trim around each window grouping would help the eye make that leap. I would paint the trim on the gable end camel and around the front door and sidelight combo camel, but make sure the siding on the triangles of the gables and sheds is the redwood color. Try a greeny bronze for your front door and sidelight - test sw high tea http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6159-high-tea/

That will give the front door the predominance it deserves. Congrats on your new space!
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I agree with above post, add trim around the windows/doors. They need more mass, look too thin as they are now.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Just curious Kevin, how difficult is it to put trim on? Is it something they have in a home store that is pretty standard sized or is it something very technical and difficult for a homeowner with some skills to attempt?
  • PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    10 years ago
    Typically the supports should match siding, which I agree with libradesigneye would be nice in tan. But for a pop, consider a third color. To my eye it's crying for some green, like a Forest Green. It could be for the doors, and I actually think it would then also work for the risers. And if you're up to it, shutters would help enrich the elevation, again in the third color.
  • PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    10 years ago
    handyman, adding trim after clapboard siding is up is tricky. If you aren't going to pull off the affected siding for re-install after trim it involves either cutting siding in place (and risk cutting the paper beneath and leaving some clapboards missing end nails) or surface mounting and having to deal with the wedge voids beneath it. These look like they already have vertical trim, it's just painted over, so good news there. What the windows don't have is a sill plate, which would be pretty straightforward to add directly over siding as a decorative item and would help finish the window look.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks @ReSquare for filling in for me! Yes very tricky to do at this point. Flashing is critical to get right! But trim around windows gives it a more "finished" look!
  • Joyce E
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My husband was always against shutters, but I am going to bring up the idea again. I always have thought the windows looked a little blah, too, but have to admit it had not occurred to me to contrast the trim there. Libra, I like that "high tea" color a lot!!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    glad to help you find some interesting direction - as always with colors, test them in your own light - but an olive greeny bronze is the idea. I like the more modern combo that no shutters is giving you here - the no grille / big scale of the windows plus the strong color lends themselves a great deal more to referencing cottage rather than trying to be it. I might go farther, and reach for one of those bronze entry light fixtures that reference history but are modern like http://www.lightingdirect.com/maxim-mx-35003-contemporary-modern-1-light-outdoor-wall-sconce/p351508 or http://www.lightingdirect.com/world-imports-wi9096-transitional-1-light-8-height-outdoor-wall-sconce-from-the-dark-sky-kingston-collection/p915743 or http://www.lightingdirect.com/world-imports-wi9096-transitional-1-light-8-height-outdoor-wall-sconce-from-the-dark-sky-kingston-collection/p915743

Most come in more than one size, so you can do something large at the front door and small at the side door - again, signalling to those who arrive that it is worth it to go all the way to the big door ;-)
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think white trim on the color red of the house would be your best choice to make it pop. I would beef up all the trim too in white. The windows trim seems skimpy. A black front door would be nice. And bring more focus to the main entrance. And have steps that would be grander than the side door. I would try to fence off the side door , paint it the red color with a low fence gated giving a private court yard effect having a deck with a table and umbrella and no walk to it. Maybe stepping stones only. And direct with large walks and landscaping to the main entrance. Right now the steps to the side door is saying main entrance and you need not too. Adding large planters and larger lighting will make the front door seem more important and clearly look like a main entrance.
    10 years ago
    Shutters are meant for single windows not larger double windows etc. please no shutters. Maybe a window box under the 1st floor window. I think you asked a bit late in the game but things can still be corrected with the side door issue. Which to me is a major problem you need to change. It's proven in the realty field homes with one defined entrance seen from the street will sell better. Because they make sense to visitors.
    10 years ago
    I could also see adding a arch in white above the 3 windows that will mimic the arch above the 2nd floor but in all wood fan design and bring lore importance to that side of the home.
    10 years ago
    Right now the home looks to be almost a duplex because of the 2 entrances done the way they are. Stand back from the street and see how it feels. I would question if it was a 2 family building and not a single family home. Your home is beautiful but needs some major tweaking to get it right and feel like a one family grand home again.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    ReSquare, thanks for the explanation!
  • Joyce E
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am planning to put a window box on that window, and completely redoing the landscaping along the front there is project for this summer after the painting. The duplex comment is interesting - I see what you are saying, especially given the footprint of the house and where the two doors are placed. So that makes me question whether it is a good idea to have the doors be a different color or not - I completely understand the comments about giving the front door more prominence, but wouldn't having two different color doors add to the duplex feeling?

And I also agree that the window trim is skimpy, which I think is probably why it was not painted in a contrasting color previously. Not really something we can change now, as ReSquare explained about the amount of work involved. Budget was maxed out from the interior reno (awesome new kitchen and much improved floorplan/flow).
    10 years ago
    I think that if you just paint the side door the color of the house it will not be as prominent. You do have a lovely home and things take time. Enjoy what you have done so far and be thankful K
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Boston Architects: Eck | MacNeely Architects inc. · More Info
  • Joyce E
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    idea forming.... eyebrow pergola over the windows, not too chunky, but just something to add accent in that space.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @jesker, good idea eyebrow pergola for first floor triple window?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Is this what you were thinking?
  • Joyce E
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, exactly! Would keep it as simple as possible, and angular lines as opposed to curves I think. Will be removing those shrubs and redoing that whole front bed, also.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Cool, instead of "curving" knee brackets/supports, just simple 45 degree angle, no curve. I think it would be perfect over that triple window!
  • Sally Sue
    7 years ago

I love the natural wood of the roof supports as an accent, just add a stain. I would agree some bright white trim around the Windows would be nice but if you can't add that right now, perhaps adding some shutters on the windows would add more character. Even some cedar shutters with a matching again as the roof supports.

• Sally Sue
    7 years ago

Also I love the red color! You have a sweet house!

• Sally Sue
    7 years ago

Here are some ideas with bright white accents with the red and a natural front door. You can use a gel stain to achieve a wood look front door even if it's not wood. Just examples of natural wood, red and white together.