Question on choosing floor and cabinets for kitchen (mascarello granite)
willfl33455
I picked out the granite for my kitchen remodel. It will be the kitchen counter and also limited back splash. I am looking for recomendations for floor and cabinet shade/design. Attached is a picture of the slab.

Thanks for any suggestions! PS - I live in South Florida.
houssaon
What a pretty piece of stone. I think you have a wide range of options for cabinets. I like a light maple or a painted cabinet in either a white or light gray. The style should compliment your house - contemporary, traditional, etc. Take a look in the Houzz photo section of kitchens for ideas. Good luck.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:27PM
willfl33455
Thank you! After you mentioned maple - I was thinking maybe a honey maple? Attached is an image I was looking at.
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 7:34PM
Ann
Very nice. I might consider light gray, black or a dark chocolate color.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 8:02PM
kerry_walkernz
That is amazing granite! I would do white or light grey cabinets and a darker grey glass tile backsplash.
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:29PM
Significant Buildings and Construction
We put a very similar granite countertop in our model home! I attached a picture with the floor and cabinets we chose, may give you some inspiration!
1 Like   May 9, 2013 at 9:43PM
Delfina
Love this slab you have here. I am not fond of maple. What is your style preference?
0 Likes   May 9, 2013 at 9:57PM
Ann
What about a deep, dark chocolate brown cabinet and light gray/beige tile floor. I googled kitchens with your granite and liked it best with the really dark color cabinets (the really dark browns and deep charcoal or muted black colors), but I wouldn't want to do both floor and cabinets like that. If you go with really dark cabinets and you want a wood floor, maybe quite light for the wood floor. In the pictures I saw, I thought the mid wood tones didn't do much to show off your nice granite and some competed with it. The creamy white cabinet examples weren't bad, but the really dark cabinets were great. Please post pictures as you move forward.
2 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 7:04AM
Delfina
I like Ann's idea of dark wood cabinets
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 7:37AM
leelee
That stone is gorgeous but as much as I like it I think you shouldn't use it for your backsplash. Go with a different backsplash or none at all. The larger sample is without grout so it looks odd but colors would go great with your granite.
2 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 7:54AM
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I agree with leelee above. A different material for the back splash would be better.
2 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 7:57AM
carolins
Beautiful stone!
I would go with an espresso coloured floor and light greige painted cabinets Something like this colour from SW, may look totally different in real life, but I like the on screen colour with your granite. Style is up to you, depends on what you like.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6141-softer-tan/
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 8:00AM
carolins
Oh gosh, so many different opinions, because I like the stone as a limited backsplash. Or just a very simple solid coloured tile.
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 8:02AM
Delfina
we have done it both ways and it all depends on preference. I like the one piece backsplash better, the same as counter b/c it seems like it doesn't take your eyes away from the flow of the counter space. Sometimes keeping it all the same is better.
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 8:57AM
leelee
It is a preference but I think an accent of something different is the most visually pleasing. Like the right throw pillow on a sofa. The other seems unimaginative and like a missed opportunity to compliment the granite. Another analogy would be adding jewelry to an outfit.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 9:31AM
Ann
I'd either use the granite for the backsplash or keep it a solid tile or a glass tile of only one color). There is a lot going on in the granite and I wouldn't want to compete with that.
5 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 10:05AM
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
I often use the sink and cooktop scraps. I cut them into 8" squares, bevel the edges and use them in the splash to tie in with the countertops. I gives the splash some depth too.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 10:18AM
carolins
I agree with Ann :-)
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 10:19AM
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
Also, maple is difficult to stain. Make sure your painter knows what hes doing!
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 10:20AM
willfl33455
Wow! Thank you all for the comments! I think I found a stone floor. I will have pictures up soon. I am now wondering about the gray cabinets. I never imagined such a thing but seems to be very popular. I just have a hard time picturing it. Will need to do some searches. I will be going with Stainless steel. I will try to take a picture of the current kitchen as well. Single family home - pretty close to the beach. House built in the 80's. Galley kitchen which I plan to open the wall leading to the living room. So the granite will be the center piece. Decided on the granite last night nad plan to order tomorrow. Just has a cool design - almost like a world map.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 11:01AM
Go expresso cabinets. Travertine back splash. Granite is busy. Tone dn backsplash. Travertine 24" tile on floor. A dove gray on walls.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 11:20AM
Delfina
how do you guys put pics on here? been trying all am....
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 11:38AM
carolins
Pictures from houzz are easy, you click on the picture, it enlarges and then you copy and paste the url into your comment. If you want to attach one of your own photos, use the attach images button under the comment box. Photos need to be jpg.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 11:42AM
Delfina
Carolins, this is what I have been trying to do all am....strange, I try again
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 11:45AM
Ann
I'd agree with travisinteriors. If you are thinking a stone floor (great idea) then please consider espresso cabinets - it would be stunning. Also agree about a calm backsplash and dove gray walls - once again - it will be stunning! Gray cabinets with the stone floor wouldn't be nearly as nice as espresso cabinets with a light colored stone floor!
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 11:50AM
Ann
delfina - I really struggled too so here are very detailed instructions. Open a second window with Houzz (so you have two Houzz sessions). Find the Houzz picture you want to copy and right click within the picture. Then drag and hold down your cursor over the "wordpress shortcode" on the "embed a photo" screen so that section is highlighted. Then right click within the highlighted text and choose copy. Then go to your other Houzz session where you are typing a comment, type your comment then right click in the same comment box following your comment and choose paste. You can add up to 4 photos per comment. Hope that helps because my husband had to walk me through it so I know your frustration.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 12:00PM
Amelia's Decorating and Design LLC
I would suggest you read more of Maria Killam's articles on countertops, backsplash, fllors, and cabinets- She gives you the BESt suggestions based on COLOR TRUTHS and not her opinion. Reading her post would save you money now and regrets later.
http://www.mariakillam.com/2010/12/which-backsplash-tile-goes-with-granite.html/ http://www.mariakillam.com/2009/06/selecting-your-kitchen-or-bath-backsplash-accent-tile-or-not.html/ http://www.mariakillam.com/2009/03/5-steps-to-selecting-the-colour-for-your-kitchen.html/

These are a few if you read to the bottom of the post she links other related materials she's written. I do not work for her but as a Designer have found her color arcticle's very useful. HER biggest thing is Color Undertone (yellow biege vs pin biege as an example)

Please let me know if this helps.
3 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 12:09PM
Ann
I loved those articles Amelia and couldn't agree more!
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 12:17PM
Delfina
here we go, hope this works! example of what I was trying to say about one continued piece of stone, marble etc...
2 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 12:20PM
Delfina
YAY, it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 12:20PM
Barnhart Gallery
Hi willfl -- I liked your granite so much, I couldn't help wanting to see it together with the first finishes etc. that came to mind; here's a visual of my quick brainstorm:
4 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 12:47PM
Delfina
I like the above a lot but what about the backsplash?
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 12:58PM
Barnhart Gallery
Since in this rendition, the golden tones are picked up in the cabinets, I'd say grey glass subway tile backsplash would be my choice -- matched up with paint. Texture/shine, but no hue contrast.
4 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 1:08PM
carolins
Yep, grey is better than beige.
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 1:09PM
Delfina
wow, I am impressed with you two!!!! :-))))
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 1:17PM
Delfina
and what about the squirrel with the peanuts?? should it stay? ;-)
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 1:18PM
carolins
Personally, I think Barnhart needs to find another nice home for the squirrel. You may want to keep the peanuts though :-)
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 1:56PM
willfl33455
I'll take the squirl! Maybe a gator would be better? I am starting to wonder about putting in a wood floor. Only problem is that I am on a budget. I was only planning to redo the floor in the kitchen and dining. I have carpet in the living room. If I put wood in a kitchen, could it put the wood in the rest of the room a year later? Would it be easy to find matching wood?
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 6:33PM
Ann
Maybe you could add more a year later and match it, but we tried to do that about 3 years apart. We bought the same exact wood (prefinished walnut) from the same exact manufacturer but it seems they changed their finishing process a bit. The original wood is quite a bit shinier. We're OK with it, but if you can, do it all at the same time.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 6:50PM
willfl33455
Here is the tile I liked today:
1 Like   May 10, 2013 at 7:22PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I would not make a backsplash out of this material. The tile does all the way to the top of the countertop. otherwise it looks squat.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 7:26PM
willfl33455
Sorry - i meant this tile would be for the kitchen floor. I like the idea of going with a greyish tile or glass blacksplash or using the granite.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 7:33PM
Young and Borlik Architects, inc.
CMR - Agreed. A different material for the backsplash. I can't tell if you are thinking paint or stain for the cabinets, but I'd suggest making the choice for either backsplash or cabinetry color next, as those are major elements. If you are painting the cabinets, defer that choice until last, when you have everything else selected. Nice piece of stone by the way.
0 Likes   May 10, 2013 at 7:35PM
carolins
Beautiful floor tile! Really nice colour.
You would only be doing a part of the backsplash with the granite wouldn't you? I assumed you were putting the granite just behind the stove? Or were you thinking something else?
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 4:57AM
Barnhart Gallery
Hi willfl...if you go with the light floor you're showing us, I'd recommend an island or lower cabs in a dark wood tone from your stone. OR...as much as you were kidding about Florida gators, Forbo makes this croc pattern tile ;)
1 Like   May 11, 2013 at 9:10AM
willfl33455
Attached is a better picture of the floor I am looking at. It is a porcelain tile with a stone look.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 8:47AM
willfl33455
Below is the kitchen from a side view. First picture is of the current kitchen. Second is a template of a neighbors kitchen. (house is for sale). The wall will be taken down and moved out a little.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 8:49AM
willfl33455
Sorry that was the view from the living room. Here is the side view. Have to click on it to see the large view.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 8:50AM
willfl33455
Here is the slab of the granite. One thing that scares me is the color variant on the lower right.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 8:52AM
willfl33455
Two close ups of the gold granite. Showing the shade variances.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 8:54AM
willfl33455
Another grainite that caught my eye is sea foam. Here is the slab.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 8:54AM
willfl33455
Close up of the sea foam
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 8:55AM
willfl33455
Another view of the template. Really not that much blacksplash area when opening up a smaller galley kitchen.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 9:13AM
willfl33455
One more grainite called brazilian dream.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 10:10AM
carolins
These are all very different granites. You have to absolutely love the first one, because it makes quite a statement. The second one is not as warm in colour and not as busy, so it's not as much of a statement and will blend in more.
The third one.... hmm... have you fallen in love with it?
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 10:27AM
Ann
I like all of the granite choices, but each will really lead you in a different direction with the choices that follow. Which one do you love the most?
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 10:57AM
sdelany2
Personally I think that some dark espresso colored cabinets would do the trick. As far as flooring, I would pull out some of the warm golden colors in the floor. Wood or tile would be nice. For back splash, I would pick a nice glassy finished tile with color to add some pop.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:08AM
willfl33455
The first one (gold) was my first choice and I do love it. It looks like art work to me. Yesterday I became concerned that it might not make the best countertop. Like maybe too much going on. Also afraid the composite could scratch easier. The sea foam always catches my eye. I am close to the ocean so thought it would be an interesting theme. Definitely a colder look than than the gold. The brazillian dream - just liked the waves on it.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:33AM
carolins
you have to go with gut feeling I think
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:36AM
Ann
Sometimes it takes a day or so but then one will really make sense or stand out to you more than the others.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:41AM
willfl33455
Do you think the gold (Mascarello) could make a good counter top? I reallly like it just having a hard time visuallizing it as a counter top.

PS - thanks again for everyone's suggestions!
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:48AM
Ann
The gold would be a little strong for me, but it's really quite pretty. It might force you to have to "work with" the gold color in any nearby area, and I'm not sure I'd like that restriction. The other two are a bit more versatile and also quite beautiful.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:58AM
Barnhart Gallery
Love the first/gold-grey option, yawning at the seafoam, and like the Brazilian.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 4:10PM
Delfina
For me I love the Brazilian one--very nice!
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:00PM
Need help for choosing kitchen granite and flooring
Please help. I am having trouble selecting a floor...
Susan Mittelstaedt
floor, cabinet, and granite questions
We are building a home and are just about to go to...
Jerry Mannor
Need help choosing kitchen cabinets, & floor colors.
We are having a new home built! I saw some materials...
Micki
Choosing kitchen cabinets with charcoal wood floors
I'm interested in a charcoal colored wood floor, extending...
zizirosa
Need help choosing colors for my kitchen cabinets and floors.
We are looking for ideas/opinions/experiences for our...
hillshire
All white walls look
I loved all the pictures of the all white wall look...
debovalencia
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
What's your favorite holiday decor item?
Is there a piece of holiday decor that you can't wait...
Please help with my dark living room full of instruments!
I'm trying to come up with the best design and furniture...
inmaryland
Choosing paint color..
I need some helping choosing paint colors in my home....
Lanie Marie