Paint color ideas
Alexandra Dziamski
I'm trying to figure out what the best paint color scheme is to go with the natural woodwork of this bungalow. The previous owners used a light peach color throughout but I want to make it look more modern and sophisticated- I'm thinking maybe more grays and cool colors (blue, green) for bedrooms and bathrooms. The dining room also has a tray ceiling that I'm toying with painting. Floors and woodwork are staying in the living room and dining room but the parquet floors in the kitchen are going to be replaced with tile and new backsplash and counters are coming in.

If anyone has any color suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! It's hard to find ideas for an old house like this when so much of what I find online is new construction and modern.
May 10, 2013 at 4:43am     
Alexandra Dziamski
More of the kitchen: The kitchen is getting tile floors instead of the parquet to lighten it up and light solid surface countertops. Backsplash will be replaced. The sink area and stove/refrigerator areas are getting new cabinets to match the originals are being put in. Stainless steel appliances will also be going in.
May 10, 2013 at 4:47am   
Charmean did a great ideabook pairing the right color paint with different wood finishes:
May 10, 2013 at 4:55am   
0825sam
I usually don't give unsolicited comments but are you 100% sure about the kitchen floor? Is it in good shape? Paint, light counters, stainless appliances and new backsplash are going to lighten up the room. It seems like you are trying to restore and preserve in the rest of the home - I think I'd explore other ways of lightening the room before taking the floors out. Have you searched houzz kitchens for parquet floors? Yes a lot of white cabinets but dark as well.
May 10, 2013 at 5:03am   
0825sam
Or even search just wood floors on the kitchen. It looks like it continues it the hallway? Might be nice to keep the continuity.
May 10, 2013 at 5:08am   
Ed
Hi Alexandra, let's try a green palette -- Sherwin-Williams SW 6432 Garden Spot --
May 10, 2013 at 5:09am   
Ed
Hi Alexandra, Sherwin-Williams --
Walls -- SW 6179 Artichoke.
Trim & base -- SW 6812 White Iris --
May 10, 2013 at 5:18am   
0825sam
Just for general ideas on a house with dark trim, if you open this photo you can see the whole project. The home looks bright but with a lot of wood - love it.

May 10, 2013 at 5:21am   
Ed
Hi Alexandra, let's try a blue -- Sherwin-Williams --
Walls -- SW 6544 Mesmerize.
Trim & base -- SW 6812 White Iris --
May 10, 2013 at 5:23am   
Ed
Hi Alexandra, a dark gray -- Sherwin-Williams --
Walls -- SW 7674 Peppercorn.
Trim & base -- SW 6812 White Iris --
May 10, 2013 at 5:25am   
Alexandra Dziamski
Hi Sam, my contractor thinks that there was actually linoleum or some other flooring and the parquet is just laid on top of it, so I don't think it was original and I'm not a big fan of it. I'm hoping light tiles will brighten up the room since it is a lot of dark wood and I'm adding more floor to ceiling cabinets.

Ed, I was playing around with that Sherwin Williams tool and it is pretty neat!
May 10, 2013 at 5:28am   
Ed
Hi Alexandra, a lighter blue -- Sherwin-Williams --
Walls -- SW 6542 Vesper Violet.
Trim & base -- SW 6812 White Iris --
May 10, 2013 at 5:30am   
Ed
Hi Alexandra, SW's Visualizer is exactly what I'm using, too! :)
So you can get the same results on your device! :)
May 10, 2013 at 5:31am   
zennifer
Just want to say that I LOVE your built ins!!!!!
May 11, 2013 at 8:21pm   
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Need Help With Deciding on Window Coverings for Master Bedroom
I have 3 windows side by side in my master bedroom,...
Need kitchen help ideas
We are moving into a home we just purchased, we have...
Solar Tube skylights
Has anyone had experience with Velux Sun Tunnels? I...
Photo wall help
Which wall? Can I use different frames as I did already?...