Kitchen floor/cabinet colors - help please?
babeelonz
West-facing kitchen with large opening at the end (glass doors) and one window on southern wall (not shown in pictures)
Debating between two porcelain floor tiles - white or very light gray, both have a slight shimmer effect (porcelanosa ferroker platino or niquel).
Planning on installing a painted shaker kitchen - color depends on floor
All color recommendations welcome!!! Thanks!
More sun from the West, than the South...you will have glare from the late day sun, but you don't want your kitchen to fade away at suppertime. A cool paint, would be my guess. Look at BM Patriotic white 2135-70.
May 10, 2013 at 9:43am   
Interior Analysis
I would recommend a gray the darker you are comfortable with the better. Also please do not buy a tile that is trying to be something else. like stone or grant clean and simple and larger tiles . Also I would recommend the thinnest grout lines. What about a darker gray tile and a beige cabinetry. Classic and will never go out of stile
May 10, 2013 at 9:46am   
Interiors International, Inc.
Grey on the floor and white cabinets. You could add a grey glaze to them also.
May 10, 2013 at 3:45pm   
babeelonz
thanks everyone, gray seems to be the favorite! what do you think of a very light taupe as an alternative to white or beige cabinetry? @interioranalysis thanks for your advice, good point about the grout lines! just curious, what's wrong w stone effect tiles?
May 12, 2013 at 7:53am   
Paula Caponetti Designs LLC
I don't advise taupe cabinets with a gray floor.
May 12, 2013 at 7:56am   
babeelonz
Thanks Paula - which colors would you recommend?
May 12, 2013 at 8:13am   
Paula Caponetti Designs LLC
As a designer, I always tell my clients to choose all the components of a room before they buy anything. Assuming that you have decided upon a lighter shade of grey for the floor, you might consider darker grey cabinets, bright white trims, graphite window sashes, and polished nickel hardware. For the backsplash, consider plain white subway tiles, or a mixture of glass tiles consisting of greys, and white.
May 13, 2013 at 6:47am      Thanked by babeelonz
babeelonz
Update:

thank you to everyone for your input. We decided to go with the ferroker aluminio tile from porcelanosa.
July 14, 2013 at 5:02am   
Luciana
That is the tile we have in our kitchen! and the layout is not very different than yours (we also have underfloor heating). Wow - such a coincidence!
Porcelanosa sold us the grout that goes with those tiles, we chose the darker grey and didn't regret it one second - we love our kitchen!
July 14, 2013 at 5:52am      Thanked by babeelonz
babeelonz
wow! thanks so much for sharing! love the monochrome look with splashes of red. amazing how the tile color looks so different in the light/shaded area/artificial light - all beautiful. Our cabinets zone will have a bit less light i think - theyre towards the back of the room where there's only one window. the well lit area will be the dining area which will be near the sliding door...
we're going with a contemporary shaker style cabinet - still deliberating re colors....would really like a gray - any suggestions? (we can choose any paint color)
July 14, 2013 at 7:08am     
Luciana
Thank you! As I said, we love the tiles - they do look great in any light. The really huge bonus is that they mask stains and splatters so well - you can barely tell if the floor was cleaned today or last week.
About your cabinet colour - I think that is a personal decision based on likes/ dislikes, preferences, etc. I think the tile is versatile and can be matched with a large range of colours. I would be careful with grey - personally I'd go for a darker shade, something quite defined. Btw, our plinth is (stainless steel) grey and the kitchen seller recommended it so it would be close to the tile colour and make the cabinets appear as floating.
Personally, I go for black (or dark grey) and (off) white combination with a third complementary colour that I can always change (see my bathroom below; it's orange now but I'm thinking to change it to purple - sorry, I'm showing off now).
bath

Have you decided on a kitchen supplier? Usually they are good at presenting you with different colour combination and showing you on the computer how they would look in real life.
Have a look at these ideabooks: Ideabook: Obsessed With Gray in the Kitchen; Ideabook: Cooking With Color: When to Use Gray in the Kitchen

Best of luck! and please post some photos when you are done.
July 14, 2013 at 8:25am   
OnePlan
Hi ! I think that white shaker with pewter handles would work well with grey walls ! The grey will really make the kitchen stand out beautifully !
July 14, 2013 at 3:01pm   
July 14, 2013 at 3:07pm   
July 14, 2013 at 3:08pm   
kitchen floor/cabinet combination
Embarking on our first ever home build, and I'm struggling...
Oak floor/cabinets & paint color
We have light oak floor and cabinets in our open concept...
I need help! Kitchen floors and cabinet help please!!
We just bought our first home and have decided to...
need help with kitchen cabinet color......PLEASE HELP
Just bought this house and the kitchen was updated...
Help on decorating family room
Just bought a house and need help choosing tv stand!...
Help with choosing flooring/carpet for playroom in garage
I plan to make a little less than half of my 2-car...
Cabin exterior front entry idea
Hello design and remodeling professionals. I need...
OH LORD HELP!
My house was destroyed in Sandy. Finally trying to...
Need window size, number and placement help
Hi everyone: We are hoping for some ideas on how many...