Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlbest116

Walk in Shower Window: stained glass or convert to transom

mlbest116
10 years ago
We are converting this shower and tub area into a walk in shower. We are trying to decide what to do with the window. We can convert it into a transom window or stained glass. The overall look/feel will be traditional. Pictures are area being converted and the tile being installed in the new walk in shower.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    You can't go wrong with stained glass in a traditional setting. But I would use mostly clear textured/mottled glass with just a few pops of a color here and there. Full colored stain glass would really date the bathroom and limit decor options.
  • PRO
    Interior Analysis by Allan Skriloff
    10 years ago
    I would not recommend stained glass. For it will not be insulated glass and will get cold and can be dated easily. Also how are you going to do the window so it will not leek
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Best, is it an option to have a frosted glass window ? :)
    GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Hollywood Hills Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Hi Interior Analysis - that's too bad. Wish there was a way to use stained glass without sacrificing efficiency.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Put in an insulated window... Hang a sturdy( antique?) knob above the center of it. Hang a beautiful stained glass piece of artwork from the knob covering part of the window. Best of both worlds! Then you'll also be able to move the stained glass to another area if you choose to.
  • PRO
    Interior Analysis by Allan Skriloff
    10 years ago
    In a shower windows have to be tempered glass. Hanging stained glass would not meet code and if it fell or knocked into can be dangerous. I would not recommend putting glass in. I have seen a film (plastic) decorative covering that can be put over the window it self. But I always go for the simplest. It usually works best and you will not tire of it. If you need privacy I would just put a frosted glass window.
  • mlbest116
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are looking for the simplest, least expensive option that doesn't sacrifice style or design. I just might have to go with the frosted glass window. I really don't want to give up the window space to a transom.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Good point Interior Analysis! I wasn't thinking of it being dangerous, I was picturing it to be higher up and not very big. But, definitely no one would want broken glass in the shower!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    I really don't recommend windows in showers. A transom up high, out of the splash zone? OK. Some manufacturers do build windows with stained glass sandwiched between the thermopane and will build the window with tempered glass...but not in fiberglass or vinyl....the only materials to put in an interior wet location.
  • mlbest116
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Remodel is complete! I am very happy with the frosted window.
  • janh13
    9 years ago
    I am looking for ideas for dealing with remodeling around a stained glass window over tub in the center of the wall. Want a walk in shower and no tub. This must be a popular problem as most master baths seem to do this.
  • Claudette Leyden
    2 years ago

Just saw this thread. Have you had any problems with you window. I am looking to put a shower where I have a triple window.