Help?
Melanie Housh
This is my living room and i have no idea what to do with it. We moved here last year and im ready for changes. I want it to be comfortable and inviting. The big windows overlook the lake. ThAnks so much!
Walter Frazier
I would lighten up the wood walls and beams to a neutral sand color to go with the stone. The floor color is very good IMO. I would change out the sofa pillows-maybe a turquoise/aqua would work.
May 10, 2013 at 11:15am     
studio10001
For light updating, the carpet and pillows are both candidates for new textures and accent color, as is the lamp. This room has strength; you might look at 'adirondack' or 'lodge' up above for inspiration.
May 10, 2013 at 11:29am   
Brown Bros. Masonry
depending on your budget you could paint the wood in the room to match a tone in the texture of the stone. if you have a little more to work with I think your fireplace needs a facelift, perhaps a new stone veneer. The grout is really dark for that stone choice. Maybe something that blends a little more with larger size stone pieces such as a flagstone for the hearth. What a great fireplace to have with views behind you. Great space!
May 10, 2013 at 2:34pm     
Interiors International, Inc.
Other than needing color which could be fixed with some cool paintings. That would also fix the dead spot above the fire place that is being created by that clock face. Than add a new fireplace door. I think it looks like a nice lake home.
May 10, 2013 at 2:38pm     
CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
I attached a couple of photos where one of our clients wanted to brighten up a great room that was VERY dark. We ended up faux finishing the paneling (similar to yours). You don't have to go with the colors in our photos...but just gives you an idea of how to lighten it up....and you can even paint the ceiling a little warmer than pure white. That seems to clash now. Hard to tell from this one photo...but the ceiling is what looks off to me. I almost would do something with that and leave the paneling alone.

Maybe a Buffalo head above the fireplace? JK
May 10, 2013 at 2:54pm   
I agree with Brown Bros, the grout is way too dark. I would want to white wash the entire stone wall, were it mine.
May 10, 2013 at 2:56pm     
tennisanyone
The stone is beautiful. It is the paint that is wrong. Paint the ceiling and change the light fixtures to something more rustic. Where are the windows? More pictures would help.
May 10, 2013 at 3:29pm     
studio10001
Good night, Nurse! So, if you do all of that you'll have a whitewashed box on a dark floor w colored doo -dads scattered about! Glad we could help!! :D

I agree w Chis about the ceilings; both the color and the texture are at odds w the rest...how far did you want to go, though?....
I also agree about a new screen, and think the finish in your fans is the answer. If you do lighten either the stone or the grout (which didn't bother me, but now I can't look away) it seems that the mantel should be darkened for balance.
To me, the woodwork merely seems faded, and I'm wondering if bringing it back might not be enough there?
May 10, 2013 at 3:47pm     
becky S
the grout and ceilings could use improvement. the stone is nice and i like the dark floors. i agree with the art, pillows and screen needing updating.
May 10, 2013 at 5:13pm   
studio10001
Melanie, what are thoughts thus far?
May 10, 2013 at 5:20pm     
Hummingbird Designs
I love your room .... By adding a bit more rustic accents , that will make the feeling you are looking for . I will attach a few samples
May 10, 2013 at 6:18pm     
Melanie Housh
Thank you for the ideas! I love the idea of painting the grout and simply adding more color with pillows, art, and rugs. The paneling is cedar- I wonder how it would turn out if I painted it.
May 11, 2013 at 4:39am     
handymam
Wendy, excellent inspiration for this room. I really think that the grouting of the stone is the problem, not the color of the stone. I would see how that can be changed firts thing. then, work your colors around the fireplace. The dark floors are beautiful. Maybe the ceiling beams should go a bit darker as in Wendy's pic. Paint the walls light as Chism and Wendy show ans I think your room would be greatly improved. Then, you could pretty much use whatever color youwanted for pillows, and curtains or whatever other color assents you add. Good luck on this lovely space!
May 11, 2013 at 5:08am     
CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
I don't think it would look great painted. You can try some stains and change the color.
May 11, 2013 at 5:30am   
handymam
Chism, didn't you show the panneling painted though. lol? Or were you referring to the grout? I think if the right color were used, it would inmprove it a lot. Of course, I don't think a heavy hand with the paint would work either...
May 11, 2013 at 5:41am   
1931italianate
Need more photos of house. One room does not a home make. Looks helter skelter. Start pulling it together. Get that thing off mantle. Don't paint stone work! You have good bones. Just work with proportions that you have and will be happy.
May 11, 2013 at 5:47am     
CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
Ha! I was talking a out the stone. We're you thinking of painting the stone? I'm in favor of the grout painted. Then if you want to brighten up the paneling, paint it and glaze it. But I'd do grout first. Sorry thought you wanted the stone itself painted.
May 11, 2013 at 5:49am     
Melanie Housh
These are the windows across from the fireplace.
May 11, 2013 at 6:09am     
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I agree with the mantle statements above....and also you need more modernized ceiling fans. Those are too parlorish. They detract from the room. Try something more like this and order it from a lighting supply showroom. If you have a sloped ceiling make sure you get the right kit to go with it. These have a 100watt lighting too so probably much better lighting than you currently have. http://www.amazon.com/Casablanca-Fan-Company-C43G546L-Reversible/dp/B004TTY5YK#productDetails
May 11, 2013 at 6:26am   
handymam
Wow, Melanie, with those windows and the deck outside, this house will look gorgeous when you are done! After you figure out what you will do colorwise, change the curtains to a color and your room will be great!
May 11, 2013 at 7:10am     
hotmholt
The clock on fireplace just fades into the stone. Try it on a painted wall and see if it is an accent piece.
May 11, 2013 at 7:13am     
charnelle45
Paint the walls a sand colour. The stone and grout colour work well with the floor. The clock is lost you need artwork in its place. Your windows need updating before you change your ceiling fans. Loose the pelmits and get curtain poles with white/cream eyelet curtains. It will make a huge difference. Have fun with it!
May 11, 2013 at 10:37am     
handymam
I would remove the pelmet as well, but I think your windows are just fine. charnelle, do you mean grommet curtains?
May 11, 2013 at 1:13pm   
carolins
The thing that could do with a revamp in this room (apart from the ceiling fans and the pelmet) is the ceiling. I would leave everything else alone and get the ceiling plasterboarded and skimmed. Perhaps add some recessed lighting on a dimmer switch. And then paint the ceiling off white.

You have a beautiful room and nice furniture. And yes, the grout could be lighter.
May 11, 2013 at 1:26pm     
charnelle45
Yes, grommet curtains. Where I'm from we call them eyelet curtains, same thing thou. The ceiling also would make a huge difference, I agree.
May 11, 2013 at 1:59pm     
Help! Help! Help!!
After sanding, washing with TSP, and repainting my...
I need a help deciding on arts pleaseeee help I need your help
Which arts you think will fit my place the best in...
very nice figurin but the light dosen't work.. help.. help.. help....
Bought for mom's dayb last year. come fall took all...
Need HELP, HELP,HELP in bathroom and laundry room
We just recently purchased this house and it is in...
Help, Help, Help....bath design dilemma
We are currently remodeling our master bedroom and...
ugly stain on interior mouldings
Late 70's built house, house has woodsy cottage feel....
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Need help picking a cabinet stain color
I bought the dark hickory hand scraped engineered hardwood...
floor to ceiling tile for 9 x 12 bathroom
Can i use 3 x 6 tumbled travertine tiles in running...
choosing a great sofa manufacturer with a good price point
Am searching for a good furniture manufacturer with...