Faux painting garage doors
Jennifer Travis
Faux painted carriage house style doors. Painted windows or plain? Bad idea or looks good?
Stohlman & Kilner Remodeling Contractors
Regarding the Garage Doors: I'd consider faux painting (woodgraining) the garage doors. A quality painter can work wonders on those doors. It is not all that expensive or time consuming. Half the work is in coming up with the color you want.

If you don't want to do the woodgrain, then yes, faux the way you have it wil also work just fine!

I would also add color to the window trim. Inner window only, not the frames (2 colors).
May 10, 2013 at 11:46am     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Please don't paint faux windows on those garage doors! If anything add black faux hardware to them, hinges and door pulls would look cool. And you might explore "real" shutters on the first floor windows, hinges and shutter dogs would add a lot of character to this "classic" home!
May 10, 2013 at 11:49am     
CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
I agree with you Kevin on your suggestions. I like the idea of the woodgraining of these doors as one option too! You can install the black hinges and hardware too. I have also had great success painting so that it looks real from a few feet away. So sometimes a window can look real even fauxed. trompe l'oeil effect!

Definitely Shutters on lower section of home too!
May 10, 2013 at 11:59am     
I love the style of your house...very French country. I like the idea of trompe l'oeil to look like stone.

May 10, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Garage doors with real windows and "faux" hardware.
May 10, 2013 at 12:06pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Cool pic judyg, but not sure it works on this post? If you look close this house has wood lap siding exterior walls. What's your input to painted garage doors vs. stained or faux wood grain?
May 10, 2013 at 12:10pm   
No, Kev, I meant painting the garage doors to look like stone.

But, I like your idea better than mine.
May 10, 2013 at 12:12pm     
Leonard Dunikoski, GRI
Here's one vote FOR adding the faux windows to both of the garage doors, all of the way across the tops of both doors.
May 10, 2013 at 12:36pm   
laurae1967
I like the faux windows. Also, I LOVE your house! So inviting. Cute doggie, too!
May 10, 2013 at 1:08pm   
RL MORTON & ASSOCIATES, PC
I have to agree with Kevin - please no fake (faux) windows.
May 10, 2013 at 1:15pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Wow, this thread is getting interesting! Faux windows are hot/cold debate just like shutters!
May 10, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Jennifer Travis
Thank you for all the suggestions. We have decided a “no” on the faux windows. They look fine from the road but they will bother me up close. I am definitely going to get some hardware to add to the look. I did think about faux wood grain but all the pictures I see for that the doors all have panels. Thanks for the suggestion of the shutters on the lower windows. I like that idea. And yes, our dog is cute!
May 10, 2013 at 1:28pm     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Please upload an "after" photo when you are done, this would be great for houzz "before & after" post!
May 10, 2013 at 1:43pm     
photogra4er
You have a beautiful home exterior. I really like the idea of windows on the garage.
May 12, 2013 at 2:57pm   
Need help arranging bedroom
Hi! I'm not sure of placement of furniture because...
Landscaping the corner slope
This side of the house just does not work -- have no...
need help to update bathroom to wetroom
I want to take out a bath and just have a shower with...
generic ceiling paint question
Hello All, My wife and I just purchased a single family...
Lighting and fan on vaulted ceiling
My sons room is getting a makeover now that he is 14...