Kitchen: can I use to different granite colors?
mafi28
I am building a house, the kitchen will have white cabinets and a chestnut-color island. I like how black granite looks close to the white cabinets, but I am not thrilled by the way it looks against the island, can I use light-colored granite for the island? Would it look weird? Thanks for the input!
HERE Design and Architecture
It sounds kind of busy to me, and I have a fairly high tolerance for stimulating environments.
May 10, 2013 at 10:58pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I've seen that done very often now. But normally done on a painted black cabinet base or a accent color not wood finishes. But then the back splash needs to coordinate well to bring it all together.
May 11, 2013 at 2:43am   
lindsaylegros
You generally want the granite in the kitchen to flow and be consistent, you might like to think about putting the dark granite as a splash back? Or changing the colour of the cabinets
May 11, 2013 at 3:03am   
Stamps Design Services
How about posting the surfaces you are talking about?
May 11, 2013 at 3:10am   
0825sam
There are examples of this on houzz so you can get a visual. Have you searched kitchens?

May 11, 2013 at 4:30am   
Depends on the size and layout of the kitchen.
May 11, 2013 at 5:06am   
mafi28
I see that perhaps black granite with pure white granite in the island might work. My kitchen is part of a great room, with an ample "breakfast room" with cathedral ceilings. Very much like this room:
May 12, 2013 at 7:58pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Yes, you can definitely use two different countertop finishes, but you have to be very careful mixing granites. I agree with mafi28 that probably the only way this would work would be to use Absolute Black on one and then something with a dark/black fleck or veining in it on the other. Consider using whatever black granite you want with the white cabinets and then a white quartz (or Quartzite, which is a real stone) on the island.
May 12, 2013 at 9:31pm   
Island is too small
Am having cambria torquay counters put in and subway...
Masculine Living Room- Accents/Art/Area Rug/Furniture Placement Advice
Any tips to make this room look more finished and to...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Black doors with white mullions
I really really want to paint my french doors to the...
Grey or light beige tiles?
We're currently in the tiles stand for all the house...