Kitchen: can I use to different granite colors?
mafi28
May 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am building a house, the kitchen will have white cabinets and a chestnut-color island. I like how black granite looks close to the white cabinets, but I am not thrilled by the way it looks against the island, can I use light-colored granite for the island? Would it look weird? Thanks for the input!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
It sounds kind of busy to me, and I have a fairly high tolerance for stimulating environments.
May 10, 2013 at 10:58pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I've seen that done very often now. But normally done on a painted black cabinet base or a accent color not wood finishes. But then the back splash needs to coordinate well to bring it all together.
May 11, 2013 at 2:43am   
lindsaylegros
You generally want the granite in the kitchen to flow and be consistent, you might like to think about putting the dark granite as a splash back? Or changing the colour of the cabinets
May 11, 2013 at 3:03am   
PRO
Stamps Design Services
How about posting the surfaces you are talking about?
May 11, 2013 at 3:10am   
0825sam
There are examples of this on houzz so you can get a visual. Have you searched kitchens?

May 11, 2013 at 4:30am   
PRO
Dytecture
Depends on the size and layout of the kitchen.
May 11, 2013 at 5:06am   
mafi28
I see that perhaps black granite with pure white granite in the island might work. My kitchen is part of a great room, with an ample "breakfast room" with cathedral ceilings. Very much like this room:
May 12, 2013 at 7:58pm   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Yes, you can definitely use two different countertop finishes, but you have to be very careful mixing granites. I agree with mafi28 that probably the only way this would work would be to use Absolute Black on one and then something with a dark/black fleck or veining in it on the other. Consider using whatever black granite you want with the white cabinets and then a white quartz (or Quartzite, which is a real stone) on the island.
May 12, 2013 at 9:31pm   
More Discussions
Island is too small
Am having cambria torquay counters put in and subway...
Masculine Living Room- Accents/Art/Area Rug/Furniture Placement Advice
Any tips to make this room look more finished and to...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Black doors with white mullions
I really really want to paint my french doors to the...
Grey or light beige tiles?
We're currently in the tiles stand for all the house...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™