Help for tiny bedroom!
tanyalbeck
I have a really small bedroom... 6x6 foot! Apart from tidying up (I'm a slob!) what can I do with it on a very limited budget? I need to keep the bed, and am thinking of a VERY soft coral or peach for walls.
I have no decorating skills of vision so ideas most welcome! I really like the curtain colour so am thinking blues and pinks. I'm in the UK...
Thanks so much!
Tanya :-)
lindsaylegros
I'm not sure how much a 'very limited budget' can afford but I can put forward some ideas that you could consider.
The first rule of colour is the lighter the colour the bigger the room will 'appear' so choosing a light coral is a good idea.
A diad colour scheme can be effective in a smaller room because it isn't as busy and colour isn't thrown around everywhere. The undertone of your proposed wall colour is an orange/pink so going with a yellow or a red would make your colour palette diad colour scheme. Another option is to put a big mirror an the wall above your bed, mirrors and the quickest way to double the space. You could use a wallpaper that complements your coral colored walls that have horizontal lines to create another illusion of space.
May 11, 2013 at 3:38am     
lindsaylegros
Also being in a UK it's colder (compared to Australia, where I'm from haha) so going with those warmer colours is definitely a smart move
May 11, 2013 at 3:45am     
Stamps Design Services
Do you have under the bed storage boxes? They come in handy in ssmall bedrooms. Shelves on the wall can help store items you need to use on a daily basis. The items I posted are from Ikea, but various other stores carry similar items.
May 11, 2013 at 3:57am     
tanyalbeck
Thank you. I rent my home so can't put too much up on the walls. I need lot look up the term diad for colour schemes, and I have suitcases under my bed right now that have my hanging clothes in it! I'm thinking of getting a wardrobe so I can hang and stack my clothes and getting rid of my chest of drawers. Thanks!
May 11, 2013 at 8:16am   
Em Bee
Actually, darker colours don't make a room seem small. Rooms look annoying and small when they are messy. When there are too many colours and too many little items, that's what makes a room small. Can't see what the floor is, but maybe if carpet just have it cleaned.
Get rid of the bureaus and get an armoire with doors that close to hide everything. This would hold tons of stuff and out of sight. Pine is okay, but painted white would be better. Find one second hand. Put an over-the-door hanging mirror on the back of your entrance door. They have hooks that you bend over top; no nails needed.

The colour of the walls should be determined by the light exposure. Peach is an odd colour to go with the poppy themed bedspread. If keeping this coverlet, paint the walls white. It is hard to match the colour peach. Coral isn't a restful color as a rule... soft blues and greens are.... As you are renting, better to pick a white/neutral color.

Get 2 pillow shams in white and a throw pillow in red. Under the bed lidded storage units that roll out are great. Rubbermaid has them too. Very economical.

Get a lamp that you can work with a pull chain or inline switch that swags from the wall receptacle to hang beside the bed, or a wall lamp. Check IKEA. See if you can buy a red curtain to pull back to the wall area to soften the look. Underneath the curtain put a white room darkening shade. When you move, all you've invested that you need to leave is in the shade and the wall paint.
May 11, 2013 at 8:39am   
handymam
You may want to consider a different type bedframe... If I were doing thes, I would look for or make a headbaord that had a shelf area that my bed went up to (You could actually just place a wide bookshelf behind the bed with the current headboard removed. You would be able to place some books, a small lamp or whatever you need in there.) I would find or make a bed that has storage underneath as it's base. (Pottery barn has this type bed with drawers under it, or Lowes online has directions to make one.)

I think a wardrobe to hang clothes would be more useful thatn the current set up you have. The little drawer thing looks a little juvenile or temporary.
May 11, 2013 at 8:48am   
tanyalbeck
Also, if I go for very soft coral and light blue grey, how many walls do I paint on which colour? Sorry.... Never done this before!
May 11, 2013 at 10:44am   
erinsean
I know you want to keep your bed but what you really need is a raised bunk bed and you could use your mattress on that. When you have a small room.....think UP. A bunkbed raised would have room underneath for your bureau, and your drawer thingy. Then you could have room for a smallish clothes hanger in the empty corner. At the very least, I would get risers for my bed....hence at least 8 inches more of storage there. Look for a bookshelves or small chest of drawers that will sit on top of your bureau, that will give you moref space for your extra things....use baskets on the shelves if needed. Bookshelves and chests come in all sizes....unpainted or varnished, well within budget.
May 11, 2013 at 10:52am     
erinsean, yes, good advice. You must raise your bed off the floor if you want any kind of decent space.

May 11, 2013 at 11:02am   
tanyalbeck
Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out in free cycle type places for a raised bunk. In the meanwhile I could certainly use the under bed space better. I'm also looking to replace my main chest of drawers with a wardrobe so I can hang and stack my clothes!
Back to the walls.... How many of the 4 walls do I paint which colours?!
May 11, 2013 at 11:11am   
May 11, 2013 at 11:52am     
tanyalbeck
Ooh, thanks! I need to measure up, but this is cheap and I may be Able to put my books out which would be lovely! http://www.tesco.com/direct/fresno-overbed-storage-white/207-6821.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=207-6821&kpid=207-6821&sc_cmp=ppc_g__&gclid=CP7mpYDvjrcCFeXItAodwgwAqg
May 11, 2013 at 1:16pm   
Tiny tiny bedroom need help
My 19 year old son has the tiniest bedroom - only 8ft...
Need help for my tiny rented bedroom!!
Hi All, I have just rented a tiny bedroom - 101"...
How can i make a tiny bedroom look bigger? URGENT HELP
My friend is selling his unit which is terribly tiny....
Help This Tiny, Dreary Bedroom
This room is really small and kind of dark…also it...
Need help with my very tiny new bedroom!!
Dear friends, Me and my husband just got married...
Kitchen top and bottom cabinets slightly different lengths
Which cabinet do I use to line up the back splash tile?...
Need help for removing dinning room and kitchen wall ???
My husband is thinking to remove right side wall to...
First Home - -Looking for some Curb Appeal/New Paint or Siding?
This is our first home, and we are looking for suggestions...
Thoughts on rendering of our house plan?
This is first draft so we are mulling it over. We want...
What should I do with right wall ?
Grass cloth recently added....crystal chandeliers came...