Exterior Paint Job
redtessie
Hello! We just purchased this home with beautiful vineyard views and a terrific interior with redwood floors and moldings that we will decorate in a rustic, "organic", chic way (that's how I am describing it to my husband). The problem is from the outside it looks like a BARN. I am looking for opinions on what to do. The trim is Redwood, which makes me think I should keep it, but I certainly need to paint the house. Any ideas??
Rockin' Fine Finish
What color is the roof ?
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 11:51AM
redtessie
It is dark brown old shingle. As per the previous owner, "Roof is rare old growth redwood shake repaired where needed with cedar shingle."
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 11:54AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
I agree with keeping the red wood but it really limits your color choice you have to stay in the browns and neutral colors
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 5:17PM
lovely view, photos are too small to see.
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 7:04PM
zennifer
Can you add more windows? More windows would definitely help with the barn look. Especially bigger windows.
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 7:12PM
Keitha
You are so right! It does look like a barn and is painted like a barn so I think a new paint color will help tremendously. I suggest painting the house a light shade in the same color family as the roof ( maybe a taupe with brown undertones). If possible, face the exposed concrete below the floor of the porch with a complimentary stone..... Even the porch columns would be awesome in stone !
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 11:52PM
redtessie
I really like the stone idea- I actually just found an image with redwood trim and stone accents. It was painted a darker green/gray. Looked very nice.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 11:02AM
The Color People
Question: what is wrong with looking like a barn? It is a rustic building. A barn fits the locale, fits the history, fits the land. It is a lot of work and a lot of money to make it not look like a barn which could be spent on a whole lot of great things that make it feel like a house. Large accordian paito doors in the back for instance would be great with that view, coupled with a great patio. I think you might try to look past your initial fear of looking like a barn and embrace its "barness." The roof is also perfect for it and if you paint it a barn red be careful to start with a red brown not a red because the red will grow in intensity. Also use a flat paint to cut down on the chroma and keep it feeling rustic.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 2:13PM
Sand Creek Post & Beam
We say keep the barn look - view our profile for great examples of Sand Creek Post & Beam Barn Homes that may give you inspiration - http://www.houzz.com/pro/sandcreekpostandbeam
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 7:42AM
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
Bathroom Fixtures
Hi- I want to replace my bathroom fixture, medicine...
thermalyn
Need help with window coverings
We just moved to the lake so the windows in the dining...
barbaraberg
Designing for Business - Office Building Redesign Solutions
What are the most important elements to consider when...
Raizin Design
What counter surface and back splash should I use in...
katrina50