Closet or cabinet in bathroom?
joyful_lady
Hi,

We have four (non-master) baths planned for our new home that are essentially all roughly the same size. Basically they have a tub and linen cabinet on one side and commode + 5' countertop on the opposite wall.

I was in one of my parents guest bathrooms yesterday and noticed that the configuration was much like what we were planning except they had a closet where I planned to put a cabinet (base + bookshelf above).

It made me wonder whether a closet is more cost effective or cabinets. The space is 3 W x 30 deep. I planned a standard base cabinet with bookshelves above.

If you know which is more cost effective I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
HERE Design and Architecture
A closet will probably be cheaper but probably also less useful and not as good looking. You will lose space because of wall thickness and you will probably have just one large door, where, with a cabinet, you can have separate areas and the doors are likely to be smaller and therefore to encroach less into the space.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 3:03PM
There wouldn't be much differences in cost due to the increased labor cost of having to frame and finish the closet space.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:15PM
Sara Bederman Interior Design
The custom cabinetry will have a nicer end look for sure.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:18PM
The depth of 30" is unusual for a cabinet so I think your cab is more likely to be 24 or 21" deep, making it easier to find things.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:25PM
joyful_lady
Thank you. I had not thought about the loss of space for the thickness of the wall for the closet. Thank you to all of you for your comments. I think I'll move forward with the cabinet idea. I also like the idea of the cabinet tying into the cabinetry on the opposite wall.

Carolyn - you're right. The space itself is 30" deep. I plan on a standard base cabinet so it would only be 24" deep. If I did a closet I would have used the entire space.

Also, before I came back and saw your comments I had already decided I wanted to leave at least two of them with the bookcase above. My partner and I have ecclectic interests which have resulted in some large collections. I am a quilter in remission from fabricholism and he has almost every Sports Illustrated ever published plus many smaller collections (thankfully) that are meaningful to us. I had planned to use the shelves to dislay them (themed bathrooms). He has some oriental things he inherited from a niece that beg for orange walls. A bathroom is about the only place I would want orange walls. I have a patriotic collection that will decorate another. One will be set-up for future grandkids when they visit with favorite children's books on the shelves.

We will be empty nesters by the time we move so these are for guests. While we entertain often they will not be in continual use.
    Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 7:41AM
HERE Design and Architecture
Be careful displaying organic materials such as paper and fabric in a room that gets steam in it. You may find that your collections will be damaged.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:13AM
tcufrog
My current house has ceiling height divided cabinets in the bathrooms, some with built-in hampers underneath. My old house had linen closets in the bathrooms. The linen closets actually were more useful and held more. I would choose for each bathroom based on how much linen and toiletry storage you need for the bathroom and any adjoining bedrooms. I would have a linen closet in at least the guest room bath because you can also store extra bed linens in it. For bathrooms with seldom used showers/baths I would put a bottom cabinet with shelves on top for display and actual linen closets in heavily used bathrooms.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:21AM
What should we do about the bathroom closet doors?
We are remodeling our 80's bathroom and will update...
cindystinnett
Closet sized PINK bathroom with no outlets...
This truly is a closet-sized upstairs bathroom, at...
jillbuonomo
Master bathroom closet
I 'm remodeling my cabin master bathroom. I'm keeping...
laurelvalley
Want to update master bathroom completely and add a walk in closet
Also want to create laundry room around washer dryer...
andydmartinez
Can closet have dark wood cabinets if bath has white cabinets?
We are rehabbing closet and like dark wood shelves....
jodiscavo
Getting a new vanity
Are these taps ok to use, or totally out of style
stoehrlis
Help better arrange my livingroom!
My livingroom is small. I have a large green sofa,...
laloring
need help with kitchen renovations
I want to paint the cabinets, walls , just installed...
Lynn Schuster
need solution for lower windows
In the sun room I have a wall of windows that are divided...
ib83jamin
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster