I don't know where to start- please help!!
Nicole Eckman
We just bought this house. We are putting wood floors in the family room, pictured here, but I wanted darker walnut color which won't look good unless I paint the trim white, right? If so, what should I do with the built-in shelving? I am thinking a warm color on the walls with an accent wall over the fireplace. Ill take any suggestions as this is not my forte'.
Hummingbird Designs
Hard with only 1 picture what colours are in you furniture
May 11, 2013 at 4:47PM   
Nicole Eckman
my furniture is brown microfiber couches and I have used tones of yellow and blues in accent rugs and pillows.
May 11, 2013 at 4:54PM   
Chris Martin
Hi! I just had painting done in my living area, and I'm also seeking help in this discussion area for some other things. But I'll tell you what I'm doing. We used Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan and did the adjoining eating and kitchen area in BM Bleeker Beige. I would have gone a bit darker than Bleeker for more contrast, but it’s done and ok. My adjoining rooms are in light blue and green. What I’m going to do with my built ins soon…I'd paint them totally white with a slight gloss trim paint. The back of the bookshelves would be in a soft color to coordinate with your room color, maybe a few shades difference for contrast. My bookshelf back wall isn't dark enough contrast so I'm doing in a green to coordinate with my dining room. I'm taking out the shelf second from the top and putting a piece of artwork in that space with one of those art display lights on the wall to give me more light in that area. I have an electric outlet in the cabinet below to connect. I still have so much more to do and also need to rearrange my shelves. Are you putting a mantle over your fireplace? I’d do it white too in addition to the other trim in the room. It will definitely brighten up your room. This is just an idea to stir your thoughts. Good luck.
May 11, 2013 at 5:24PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think your on the white path. With painting all the wood work , book cases etc white. Up dating the light fixture will help. Fan's with out lights and ceiling hugging if you want to keep the fan.
May 11, 2013 at 7:57PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
If your going to do a accent wall over the fireplace it would be nice to paint the back wall of the bookcases the same color for a custom touch. It will also make the wall feel wider.
May 11, 2013 at 8:00PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Painting out the brass on the fireplace with a black heat resistant paint would update the screen. Look at grill paint at your building center.
May 11, 2013 at 8:03PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
What colors are your furnishings ?
May 11, 2013 at 8:04PM   
Shawn
What are you putting on the bookshelves? If it's books (rather than knick knacks) you can consider painting the trim and shelves white, but painting the backing in a bold accent colour. Since most of it will be covered up it's a good way to make them stand out in the right way.

Edit: Just read that Kevin already recommended the exact same thing. You can forget everything I wrote except for 'I agree with the above'!
May 11, 2013 at 8:08PM   
achelous
I think that if I ever bought a weapon, would be a shotgun to kill every ceiling fan I come across. Vintage looking floor or table fans can be used and those hideous things replaced by a decent chandelier that fits the decor
May 11, 2013 at 8:16PM   
Nicole Eckman
The book shelves will have mostly pictures and will not be cluttered. My furniture is a tan/brown microfiber sectional and love seat so very neutral. Do you think i could leave the trim oak and still paint the bookshelves white? If I paint e trim I need new doors and I have a pretty limited window of time. I will definitely paint the fireplace insert. Thanks so much!!
May 11, 2013 at 8:16PM   
Nicole Eckman
Any ideas in the brick fireplace?
May 11, 2013 at 8:17PM   
achelous
Frame the brick with a thick moulding same as color you put on shelves? I can figure stuff for almost anything BUT color!
May 11, 2013 at 10:30PM   
inesgomez
I agree about painting the back wall of the book shelves, and I'd add some kind of texture to the fireplace wall, or some patina, of course matching the furniture and book shelves wall, and I'd take the fan, it's to heavy. And I wouldn't touch the trims, wood always gives a nice touch
May 11, 2013 at 11:21PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
If your starting with new furniture find a rug you love and build on the colors from the rug ! Don't follow the trends in colors or design but what makes your heart pitter patter ! Fall in love with every piece and take your time. Rome wasn't built in a day. lol
May 12, 2013 at 4:19AM     
We just bought this house. We are putting wood floors...
Help! I don't know where to start.
We have a tiny master bathroom, a larger hall bathroom,...
Two Focal Points and Two Large Sofas - Help!
I'd appreciate any and all suggestions you can offer....
Home needs some life
My wife and i are in the process of purchasing a home...
Need help - wood or tile upstairs
Hi, Need your suggestions. We have hard wood floors...
Our new living room!!
We just moved into our house and I am looking for ideas....
LR Paint, Rug & Window Treatment Suggestions... Time for a change!
Hi all! My husband and I bought our home about a year...