Need help pulling a look together in my family room.
abrowder
I have purchased a new sofa, rug, and soon cream leather transitional recliners to replace the old navy blue ones. I want the room to be an eclectic mix of old, new, and have a fresh attitude. Hope that makes sense. I would love feed back and advice on how to proceed....still need to choose an accent chair and maybe some new end tables,etc.
Certified Interiors
Is the sofa in the photo the new sofa? Are the cream colored leather chairs similar in color to the sofa? Is the coffee table and the table lamps staying in the room?
May 11, 2013 at 5:39PM   
It is hard to envision your room from the info provided, but i would like to see a color from the rug in your end tables.

May 11, 2013 at 5:50PM   
hbmiller
I love the rug and new sofa. I question cream leather recliners. Have you thought about getting recliners in a fabric color of the rug. It needs to be very textural. You are getting to many smooth surfaces.
May 11, 2013 at 5:57PM   
I like what you have done so far except for the pillows and throw on the sofa. I would get a more texured throw and 2 largish vibrant pillows. I would reconsider cream recliners with the cream sofa, maybe go grey or burgandy.
May 11, 2013 at 6:05PM   
abrowder
Yes that is my new sofa. I just bought the lamps and the coffee table, but can't decide if they are working. Is it too much black with the black botannicals on the wall?
May 12, 2013 at 3:11PM   
Margaret B
It looks like a nice balance of light and dark. The only thingI would change is the throw, I think it needs to be a softer color, perhaps pick up some of the blues in the carpet. Would also love to see pics of the recliners.
May 12, 2013 at 3:19PM   
Modern Age Designs, LLC
I like the rug a lot, I would continue the color from the rug on the wall behind the sofa. The room will get a focal point that will tie everything together. Perhaps a vase or or flowers in those colors. I agree with changing the throw and pillows on the sofa. Add a nice faux leather tray to have a nice contrast against the black table which I like.
I hope this helps. Great start.
May 12, 2013 at 3:32PM   
abrowder
I want to add a fabric chair by the fireplace. I will add some print pillows and a new throw as well. What style of chair has me stumped. I have ordered the recliners but won't have them for a while. BYoung Yorba.
May 12, 2013 at 3:33PM   
Nancy Walton
I would add an armless accent chair in a cornsilk yellow and white print. Could be a stripe or smallish Ikat to pick up on the yellow in your rug, and the yellow tone in your blinds, then a lumbar pillow in a solid blue... I'll try to find an example of what I'm thinking of.
May 12, 2013 at 3:42PM   
abrowder
Here is pic of recliners....but the color is cream or beige matching light color in the rug.
May 12, 2013 at 3:45PM     
Nancy Walton
All these are some I found on overstock.com
May 12, 2013 at 4:02PM   
Nancy Walton
The first chair in your room
May 12, 2013 at 4:16PM   
Upon studying your photo I would move that floor lamp, it is blocking the nice view from the window.
May 12, 2013 at 4:17PM   
scarpullagirl
If you want eclectic, I would suggest removing the patterned throw in your follow-up picture (too matchie, matchie) and challenging the color palette with either a pop of true orange or lime/chartreuse in the way of pillows or accent chair.
May 12, 2013 at 4:44PM   
kimhaskell
I would turn the area rug around so the dark part of the pattern is where the dog is sitting.
May 12, 2013 at 5:10PM   
LB Interiors
I would start with an accent wall (fireplace wall) ... or ... paint all the walls the same oops .. lighter brighter blue found in the design in the flower. I would add some blue gray/yellow accent pillows and coral accents or pillows to the sofa. I would add a settee or 2 chairs or a bench, opposite the sofa, in a print fabric that works with your colors

I like the black accents. I like the teal pillow, add a few more in different tones. Add some coral accents on coffee table.
May 12, 2013 at 5:34PM   
LB Interiors
I would remove everything on the fireplace hearth. Place the small stool next to the tall plant with a much larger plant on top, if you're keeping the stool. I wouldn't use the basket or spray paint it a blue or coral color. Roll up a colorful throw and place in the basket, (if you're keeping the basket) Only one basket. The tall table may be able to go with one or two chairs. (if it's not too high)
May 12, 2013 at 5:42PM   
LB Interiors
Remove the floor lamp, maybe place in the corner of the room that we can't see. It may be placed with a new chair or 2 new chairs.
May 12, 2013 at 5:48PM   
LB Interiors
I like the chairs in this photo , blue walls, teal accents and black
May 12, 2013 at 5:53PM   
LB Interiors
White, black, teal and coral accent
May 12, 2013 at 5:56PM   
abrowder
I love your suggestion about an accent wall. I will definitely try some coral and or chartreuse...colors I love on the sofa. I don't think I have room for two chairs unless quite small. Adding one more pic of view from kitchen island.
May 12, 2013 at 5:57PM     
LB Interiors
Nice rooms. I think you have room for two petite chairs that would be facing the sofa, as long as they are sitting on the rug. If you have wood flooring space wide enough from the walkway and not having to walk on the rug to get into the kitchen. But , they are not neccessary.

You could also put an upholstered bench in their place.
May 12, 2013 at 6:02PM   
LB Interiors
May 12, 2013 at 6:10PM   
LB Interiors
Chairs black, blue, white
May 12, 2013 at 6:12PM   
leelee
Wow, your place already looks like straight from the pages of House Beautiful! You have excellent taste and so many options. How about a chair like this?
May 13, 2013 at 8:49AM   
leelee
A palm tree near the window...
May 13, 2013 at 8:54AM   
Need help to pull this family room together
Anyone have suggestions about wall, rug and throw pillow...
Need help pulling family room together!!
Hi! We recently remodeled our kitchen which darkened...
Need Help Pulling together family room with modern and modern cottage
I need help with a family room that has a modern brown...
Need help with Family Room pulling it together
We have the basic pieces. Still Need help with decorating...
need help to pull colors together, make room look good
This is my one room kitchen. , living room, and dining,...
wood floors
Looking for engineered hardwood floors that is real...
Mirrors next to tv?
Hi, there was an empty space next to my tv but I found...
Granite for kitchen
I need help with choosing granite with black kitchen...
Ask for wall paint color suggestions
Hi, We're renovating our 1st floor. Kitchen + eating...
Recessed Lighting
Not sure what lights to use! vaulted ceiling, Eye...