Patio floor and door color?
rafm188
We are redoing our back patio area and I need help picking out a color for our door and patio, please help!

We will be using James Hardie Timber Bark for our siding with trim in Cobblestone.

This is our back patio that we are redoing. DH has stripped the paint and there is now a slider where the French doors are. Note, the pool decking will stay as is for right now and we are enclosing the patio area (from the white poles to the wall) with a sliding screen wall system.

So now the issue becomes what color to paint the patio (we just can't get all the layers of paint and glue off well enough to stain) and what color to paint the exterior door, on the right. Oh, and we are replacing the door with a full view window with enclosed blinds. All windows have been replaced as well with white vinyl windows.

I'm thinking we should paint the patio a shade between the siding and trim but I don't know if that would be too much 'brown' and possibly paint the door a dark blue? Or lighter blue or some other color altogether?

Here's a pic of the front of the house when we replaced the front door so you have a color reference for what goes well with the brick, if that even matters. The pillars will be the darker brown with caps of the trim color. The ceiling will be the trim color....will the pillars look weird being the only darker shade on the front of the house?

This won't be a cheap project so I want to make sure I'm making good decisions. I'm pretty good with the big pieces but when it comes to details, I truly struggle.

Thanks everyone!
rafm188
Bueller, bueller, anyone? :(
May 13, 2013 at 1:28PM   
Chris Warren
Can't help you with the color selection. Just letting you know that when a tenant painted the patio at one of my houses w/o getting all the old paint and grime off (he is an artist who painted big stuff on the patio), the new paint didn't adhere well and in fewer than 3 months it was a real, peeling mess. Just make sure you get excellent advice on surface prep. and product and follow it. Or maybe consider some rug, carpet squares, or other options besides paint. Good luck.
May 13, 2013 at 1:48PM   
Niina Di Lorenzo Designs
I would like to take a stab at your dilemma however; I'm not sure what colours you are wanting? I know Cobblestone but you mention; "I'm thinking we should paint the patio a shade between the siding and trim but I don't know if that would be too much 'brown'", so why don't you post all the colours for us to see and then we can get a better sense of what needs to be considered before choosing colours for the exterior door to the right and the patio floor, ceiling and posts.
May 13, 2013 at 1:53PM   
I need help picking the right granite for my kitchen
We have painted, put M marble down and now I'm having...
Dining room.
Just got a fabulous lighting fixture from Z Gallery...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Fence ideas for shaded side yard
I'm a newbie looking to landscape my side yard 10x3.6m...
Filling in the gray space
We need ideas on how to decorate the wall between the...