Need solution for outdoor wooden steps
shayva
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to cover up these wooden steps that are starting to splinter without a complete replacement. These lead down to the pool so I'm worried about splinters this year.
Young and Borlik Architects, inc.
Tough one. Unfortunately, replacement is probably your best option. Look at "Ipe" or teak or another good outdoor hardwood. Materials like "TREX" are also a good substitute, but will have more flex and may require adding supports. Wood decks are a perpetual maintenance concern.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 12:26PM
carolins
If you need a short term solution, just thinking out loud, you could get an outdoor rug or runner that you could cover the steps with. As a real stair runner I mean. You'd have to make sure it is solidly fixed to the wood though so no one will slip.
No experience with this, just thinking out loud as I said. Could be the worst, or the best idea ever ;-)
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 12:34PM
Nancy Walton
This is why I dislike railroad ties or landscape timbers as any kind of outdoor hardscape. They end up rotting for one, and they draw wood eating insects, if not (horrors) termites, at the very least, carpenter ants. Either ones are not what you want around a pool area. Probably the best short-term fix is to put a pressure-treated frame over the timbers and attach Trex treads. Just make sure they aren't slippery when wet.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 1:05PM
Young and Borlik Architects, inc.
Yep. There are probably a lot of quick fixes, but they'll all be a lot of work too. I still think a long term solution would be my recommendation. I did notice that the top of the deck is pretty close to the sliding door threshold, so you can't add much thickness with an overlay to the deck, and if you only wrap the steps, you'll end up with different heights from top to bottom risers, creating a potential tripping hazard.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 5:29PM
Creative solution needed to gaps in outdoor wooden steps...
Hi, our new beach house in Blairgowrie (Australia)...
Need outdoor grill solution
I'm considering buying my rental apartment and love...
need help with stain color on wooden steps exposed going down stairs
can you stain wooden steps several shades darker than...
How should I improve this curb appeal?
When I bought this house, it was so overgrown that...
Open concept and grandmas buffet
I love my Grandmother's buffet and had plenty of room...
Which color do I choose, left or right side gray? Help please
Please help me choose which color on main wall. Both...
Marble countertop in the kitchen...bad idea?
I'm in the midst of a kitchen remodel and ordered a...