Need solution for outdoor wooden steps
shayva
May 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to cover up these wooden steps that are starting to splinter without a complete replacement. These lead down to the pool so I'm worried about splinters this year.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Young and Borlik Architects, inc.
Tough one. Unfortunately, replacement is probably your best option. Look at "Ipe" or teak or another good outdoor hardwood. Materials like "TREX" are also a good substitute, but will have more flex and may require adding supports. Wood decks are a perpetual maintenance concern.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 12:26PM
carolins
If you need a short term solution, just thinking out loud, you could get an outdoor rug or runner that you could cover the steps with. As a real stair runner I mean. You'd have to make sure it is solidly fixed to the wood though so no one will slip.
No experience with this, just thinking out loud as I said. Could be the worst, or the best idea ever ;-)
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 12:34PM
Nancy Walton
This is why I dislike railroad ties or landscape timbers as any kind of outdoor hardscape. They end up rotting for one, and they draw wood eating insects, if not (horrors) termites, at the very least, carpenter ants. Either ones are not what you want around a pool area. Probably the best short-term fix is to put a pressure-treated frame over the timbers and attach Trex treads. Just make sure they aren't slippery when wet.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 1:05PM
PRO
Young and Borlik Architects, inc.
Yep. There are probably a lot of quick fixes, but they'll all be a lot of work too. I still think a long term solution would be my recommendation. I did notice that the top of the deck is pretty close to the sliding door threshold, so you can't add much thickness with an overlay to the deck, and if you only wrap the steps, you'll end up with different heights from top to bottom risers, creating a potential tripping hazard.
0 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 5:29PM