Sofa and two chairs or two sofas
Danielle Lyn
So for our "great room" I just need some opinions. The first picture is what you see when you enter the room(the white stand probably won't stay) the second picture is the south side of the room and the picture with the black stand is facing the north(that's not staying there either I just don't know what's going their yet). Anyway I have been in this house for a month and still can't decide what I want for this room! Two sofas facing each other with the ottoman you see in middle or one sofa facing two armless chairs! I'm really stuck......
Danielle Lyn
Or four chairs facing each other?
May 12, 2013 at 2:20pm   
Danielle Lyn
These were my inspiration pictures
May 12, 2013 at 3:07pm     
Margaret B
I recall in your last post that the kitchen was the next project, have your plans changed? This is a beautiful room and I would go with the sofa and two chairs, it will be the most versatile. I have friends that have two sofas in their living room, sometimes it is uncomfortable with everyone bunched together on the sofas. It would be more comfortable if they had some chairs for people to retreat to!
May 12, 2013 at 3:14pm     
Danielle Lyn
Thanks! That's helps I just needed some advice, I have been going back and forth! And the kitchen needs backsplash and I cant make up my mind so I moved to a different room since its empty
May 12, 2013 at 4:07pm   
Danielle Lyn
I know I want a cream color sofa but I just wasn't sure two of the same color sofa might be too bland. I think prolly I'd choose two matching chairs but in a different color than the sofa? What are your thoughts on that
May 12, 2013 at 4:10pm     
karen paul interiors
Two sofas opposite one another always reminds me of two orange crates. It's just a visual I get. Ha!
May 12, 2013 at 4:11pm     
leelee
With a cream sofa you could choose 2 chairs with some color or go same a sofa and do color in rugs and pillows. You'll have more versatillity with sofa + chairs.
May 12, 2013 at 4:24pm     
LB Interiors
Maybe 2 two seater sofas ( two people feel comfortable on a smaller sofa) - one on the left facing the beautiful woodland scenery opposite the windows. The other - opposite the fireplace with console table behind it. L-shape. Two chairs with a table between in front of windows. this gives enough seating for guests and does not block much of the window view.

This idea with two chairs in front of window.Console table behind top sofa in this photo

May 12, 2013 at 4:26pm     
Danielle Lyn
Yeah I think so too leelee I'm worried about getting cream color (stains) but I think ill try to get the chairs with more color
May 12, 2013 at 4:27pm   
Danielle Lyn
Lb interiors what about instead of a sofa adjacent to the fireplace I do a bench like this one? Or would that be too much?
May 12, 2013 at 4:29pm     
LB Interiors
Or this one with console table behind the sofa facing the fireplace.
May 12, 2013 at 4:36pm     
Danielle Lyn
On I love those sofas! I'm sure they are very expensive but I love them
May 12, 2013 at 4:38pm   
LB Interiors
Bench is a real nice choice. I think it depends how long guests will be lounging in this room, as a bench is not that comfortable for long conversations.
May 12, 2013 at 4:38pm   
LB Interiors
The bench is great because of a clear view through the windows. Perfect if it won't be used for long periods of time.
May 12, 2013 at 4:41pm     
LB Interiors
If you want a bench and 1 sofa, then that will open you to choosing (oops) 2 great chairs instead of 2 two seater sofas.
May 12, 2013 at 4:42pm   
LB Interiors
You can have 1 sofa and 4 chairs or 1 sofa and 2 chairs or 2 small sofas and 2 chairs Whatever your budget and seating requirements are.
May 12, 2013 at 4:45pm   
LB Interiors
Or 1 sofa, 1 bench and 2 chairs
May 12, 2013 at 4:46pm   
Danielle Lyn
I think I like the sofa and two chairs and then eventually add in a bench or another sofa adjacent to the fireplace. Like you said I can then pick better chairs and add more color in as well.
May 12, 2013 at 5:21pm   
Danielle, I would highly recommend one sofa and two chairs as being much more flexible than two sofas.
The chairs can either match the sofa fabric or be different. But, for sure, making the selection of one sofa nd two chairs will work well for you in the long run. I suggest keeping all 3 pieces neutral and adding color with a rug, or artwork and accessories.
c.r. laine 1280RS_1108.jpg
Modern living
May 12, 2013 at 6:01pm     
Danielle Lyn
I had that second picture in my saved photos! I like those chairs! I wish I could find them!
May 13, 2013 at 4:42am   
Danielle Lyn
I also liked the dark gray sofa that is in that but I think it may be too dark in that room?
May 13, 2013 at 4:44am     
In the second photo above, both the chairs and the sofa are from West Elm. They can be ordered in a variety of fabrics.
May 13, 2013 at 5:00am     
CDR Design
Hi Danielle:

I like the recommendations so far. I am so glad you did not mention the word "sectional". As those have mentioned above, people do not like to be trapped in a large seating group.

Before I give you a recommendation, I need to ask a question and clarify:

1) Will there be a tv going in the room?
2) If not, what do you see as the function of the room?
3) Windows south/fp east/blank wall north. Is that correct?
4)If so, what is on the west wall other than the entrance?
May 13, 2013 at 5:04am   
Danielle Lyn
@Carolyn Albert-Kincl Designs I just found them :) and I like them a great deal. I love the sofa too but I am very worried that that dark gray is much to dark for this room.
May 13, 2013 at 5:18am   
Danielle Lyn
cdrdesign Hello again :) 1. NO tv my foot is down :) 2. The function will be a place to relax, read, occasionally entertain (holidays, etc) 3, Windows are south facing. Fireplace is east. Blank wall is north. East is a large entrance in to the kitchen/breakfast nook.
May 13, 2013 at 5:23am   
paloaltomom
I like the idea of one sofa and two chairs, it will creates more versatility in the space.
May 13, 2013 at 5:34am     
The sofa will not be dark gray if you order it in a different fabric.
May 13, 2013 at 5:34am   
Danielle Lyn
This is what is off to the east...for now. The color is now revere pewter by BM and it no longer has a florescent light, its three pendants (third picture). We will put a backsplash in if we can ever find something we like (nothing works with black granite and ugly light maple). At some point there will be a range vent and the microwave will be removed , this is way down the road. There will be different rugs....im waiting to see what the backsplash ends up being. The breakfast nook is empty right now, I wanted to do something like (
) this in that spot but everyone keeps telling me it will look bad its undecided .......
May 13, 2013 at 5:36am   
Danielle Lyn
Here is the kitchen again idk why it made it so small last time
May 13, 2013 at 5:37am   
Danielle Lyn
Carolyn Albert I know you can order it in different colors I just like that color lol I don't really care for the other options
May 13, 2013 at 5:39am   
What bothers me most about your kitchen is the lighting. I'd remove that ceiling fluorescent fixture and replace it with a track light. Or remove it and install recessed lighting over the countertops and maybe one or two pendants over the island.
May 13, 2013 at 5:44am     
daniellehsu
Couldn't you do two sofas facing each other then two chairs facing the fireplace then maybe a bench or two small stools by the fireplace? I thought the whole "square" seating was a common design thing.
May 13, 2013 at 5:58am   
Danielle Lyn
Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design it no longer has a florescent light, its three pendants. There is a picture above of just the lighting that is there now
May 13, 2013 at 5:59am     
brody1313
Your room looks very balanced, so I vote for two matching white facing sofas with 2 smaller accent chairs facing fireplace.........it's a beautiful look good luck
May 13, 2013 at 6:08am     
Thanks, Danielle Lyn, I see them now! Well done!
May 13, 2013 at 6:08am   
leonoz
If this is your main room, it needs to have a bit of grandeur and formality.

Two sofas facing each other is classic and will anchor the room. Two chairs and a sofa will look weak next to your strong architectural detailing around the fireplace, and your large windows.

Two tailored mid to low-backed sofas facing the ottoman, in light taupe to match your area rug, or cream white to match the mantle and floor colors.

Add chrome with glass or mirror-topped side tables, two well chosen table lamps, on the side tables furthest from the fireplace.

Now hang a very large mirror horizontally, or an over-sized floor mirror, on the wall opposite the windows, behind the sofa on the left.

If room space permits, place a slender bench against the wall, under the horizontal mirror.

This way your guests sitting with their back to the windows, also get a spectacular view.

Also, for larger family and friends gatherings, you can fit more people onto sofas, and you when the occasion requires it.
May 13, 2013 at 6:22am   
CDR Design
Danielle.

My thoughts are this

-you want to highlight the fp
-you want to highlight the windows and gorgeous view outside
-the area is large enough for more than one seating area

I am attaching the photos below for inspiration. I like your idea of the bench.

Here is what I would recommend:

IDEA #1

-no couches
-a window seat under the window. You could do a built in (check the price----I don't think it would that expensive and would just add so much. You could also do something bought, but I am not sure you could find something that low. It would be awesome to flank the window seat with bookcases.
-the opposite (blank wall could be simply a wall of bookcases
-Around the fireplace, I would do a C-shape of chairs with a round coffee table in the center.

IDEA #2

This idea incorporates my thoughts on the kitchen. My opinion is that, for the size of the house, the kitchen seems small and a table in the area by the sliding doors might seem cramped, especially with traffic coming in and out. I would leave that area open and get a higher light fixture.

I see nothing wrong with the cabinets. With new hardware, backsplash you could incorporate the wood in the cabinets....... and think you could more wisely use your $ by doing this:

-put hardwood floor in the entire area (kitchen and great room). Suddenly, it will become one space which it should be.
-see the second pic for inspiration.
-you could still put in window seat.
-place your table in the area with the fireplace (where?) Ideas are, if you have window seat, on opposite side by blank wall. If no window seat, how about next to window? Then you could do a seating group by blank wall. A third idea would be to place the table near the entrance to the room (by kitchen) and then to put a seating group around the fireplace.

I like my idea 2 better than idea 1. You could still put the table in the fp room and do the hardwood later......see if you like it.

[houzz=East Hampton Colonial]

houzz=Green Lake]

[houzz=Mountain Home Great Room]
May 13, 2013 at 6:24am   
carolins
Hi there,
I went 'shopping' for you at West Elm, to show you how the different greys you talked about will work in your room. I think that a dark grey sofa would be nice, combined with two lighter grey chairs (would keep them the same fabric), I meant the table to go between the two chairs. The top refers to the cream carpet.
I threw in some golden yellow pillows and just for fun and to see how it would look, gold leaf on the fireplace.

I hope it helps you to visualize.
May 13, 2013 at 6:30am     
CDR Design
I love West Elm furniture and it fits with your style.
May 13, 2013 at 6:48am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I agree with Carolyn Albert. One sofa, two chairs. You don't need to overload your space with furniture. You should be able to move around in it still. I also think you should go with light, neutral colors for your seating - especially the sofa. (The one below is from Crate & Barrel.) If this room is primarily used for reading, relaxing, and entertaining, I wouldn't be too worried about stains on a light sofa. That would be more of a concern in a family room typically. But you should add color with curtains, art, couch pillows. It needs a little pizzazz.

As far as your kitchen, you obviously don't like the light maple cabinets much. Have you considered re-surfacing them? You could apply a darker stain or paint them, just be sure to look up proper methods for re-surfacing your cabinets if you do it yourself. But if you really don't like your cabinets, a nice backsplash won't change that even if it is stunning. I would look into altering the cabinets first. Then it should be easy for you to find a backsplash you're happy with.

"Keesee & Associates is a Custom Home Design firm in the Orlando Metro."
May 13, 2013 at 6:55am   
Danielle Lyn
Cdrdesigns we have a formal dining room so id prefer to do without the table in that space if we can. We would never use it, we eat every meal in the dining room.
That stupid light (in that space) is going, Im so incredibly sick of smacking my head on it!!! I just havent found anything I like to put their(since it needs to match the pendants in the kitchen now), it has made that decision even harder.
Eventually the whole house will be hardwood, I despise carpeting.
I wanted to put built in seating when I first saw the space but it would be very low and I didnt know what to do with the space on either side of the window?
May 13, 2013 at 7:04am     
Danielle Lyn
@leonoz we would like to put a mirror on that wall for sure because of the view outside. The tables that we would like to put between the two chairs are these http://www.target.com/QuickInfoView?partNumber=13275348&catEntryId=200432705&categoryId=3991&productId=200432704&overlayId=QuickView&validation=true&position=targetCenter&slotPosition=medium%253A2%253A13&omnitureSuperCatgValue=&lnk=srch_qi_grid_2_13 So i think that kind of fits with your vision :)
May 13, 2013 at 7:10am     
Danielle Lyn
carolins I much prefer that gray sofa you showed me above to the original one i liked above thanks!!! I found that chair this morning, I love it!!! I wish there was a west elm closer so I could go in person and see these. Maybe a weekend trip to Chicago.
May 13, 2013 at 7:12am   
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc. The only option is to paint them. The contractor we had look at them said staining them wouldnt work because they are maple and DH says NO to the painting. I am compromising because I have got to make every other decision.
May 13, 2013 at 7:14am   
Danielle Lyn
The accent color I would like to use is teal or mint for the summer. I will change it in the fall most likely
May 13, 2013 at 7:15am     
CDR Design
Danielle, given the info you gave me above, I would:

-move the island to the area under the light by the sliding door. I would put a larger counter on it. You could plan for counter-height chairs on at least one side, if you so desire.....or just leave as an island. When you are getting the work done on the floors anyway, they can thread in floor boards to the space from where the island was moved.

-I like the idea of chairs in half-circle around the fireplace. You might consider something like upholstered, swivel rocker chairs, with a large circular coffee table in the center......a place where people could come and go.....read, put their feet up, relax, ......much more inviting than a stiff, formal room.

-I would add a counter height, elongated table on the blank wall, with a couple of chairs.
May 13, 2013 at 7:25am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
You have to make compromises. Two comments: First, the light you want to replace in the open area near the kitchen doesn't have to match your pendant lights exactly. Try to look for something that just echoes the pendants over your island. For instance, look for something white and cylinder-shaped. The lights below might be something to consider. Or try to find something made out of the same material as your island pendants. It's hard to tell what that might be from your earlier photo.

Second, have you tried looking at something neutral for your backsplash? I know you got stuck on that issue as well. Try something that helps the maple and black counters mingle better - something more varied that includes different shades.
May 13, 2013 at 7:32am     
Danielle Lyn
Cdrdesigns we really can only do little cosmetic stuff right now. Backsplash for example. We need furniture before we can start doing major projects lol. The next big thing is getting rid of the carpet! Ditching the current island and building a new one in isnt an option right now. In the future yes, we are trying hard to not get carried away because we will be in this house less than 10 years
May 13, 2013 at 7:54am   
Danielle Lyn
Keesee I like that first light! And yeah we are just struggling with that backsplash a great deal
May 13, 2013 at 7:56am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I thought that might fit your style. :) The pendant light can be found here: http://popeyekam.en.made-in-china.com/productimage/vbtEUejDrZWq-2f0j00rKuEOmWGbtcj/China-Pendant-Lighting-780S2-8-.html

Danielle, don't get discouraged. It can be hard when you're renovating multiple rooms at once. Take it one step at a time. You're definitely finding a lot more you like. And if you plan to change the cabinets in the future, maybe you just need to hold off on installing a backsplash. It may be longer till you're in love with your kitchen, but in the meantime, you've made some great changes. Besides, you don't want to choose a backsplash now that you won't be happy with when you do get the chance to change your cabinets. On some things, waiting can be your best option.
May 13, 2013 at 8:04am     
CDR Design
Danielle,

I am not recommending getting rid of the island.....only moving it when you redo the floors.

Also, the more I look at your kitchen in relationship to your great room: the kitchen just looks all around so much less than your great room and it is an odd juxtaposition.

gr: sound, timeless, strong architectural features, large windows.

kitchen: short, upper cabinets and overall the sf of kitchen is small for the house.

The ROI on a kitchen is near 100%. I would not bother spending my money on a backsplash right now. Lights are fine, as they can be used even after an update.

I would wait till I had the funds and purchase new cabinets. You really need 42" cabinets that reach to the ceiling. It would give your kitchen the stature it needs. Moving the island would make the kitchen area look larger and also extend the visual footprint of the kitchen. You also want to say goodbye to that granite backsplash and add one that reaches down to the counter.

So, what I am saying is that I would not spend the $ now adding a backsplash that you later will have to redo.
May 13, 2013 at 8:18am     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Lots of great ideas. Nice room and the grey walls with neutral furniture will allow you to change out teh accent colors with the seasons or mood etc. I think the dark grey sofa will also work. Does the seating have to be in the center of the room. It seems that there may be enough room for two seating groups, One by the long blank wall and then one near the fireplace. I think that this will give you a more unique space, a more varied space and one that can be transformed or re arranged depending on what tyoe of activity you are having. Good Luck!
May 13, 2013 at 8:54am   
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc. I need that quatrafoil pillow lol!!! Love it!! I Like the I think it would look nice on the endstand I ordered http://www.target.com/p/three-hands-chrome-stool/-/A-14249248#prodSlot=medium_1_55&term=accent+tables I might buy a mirrored one instead...it will depend of what it looks like once it gets here!
May 13, 2013 at 9:51am     
Danielle Lyn
I do like the idea of putting seating against the blank wall or under the windows. I would like the windows but again i dont know what to put between the window ledge and the corner of the wall
May 13, 2013 at 9:53am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
That end table seems like it will reflect a lot of light and help brighten the room. Hope you love it! The lamp and pillow would look great in your room. I included the links in my earlier post, so you can buy them at your convenience! It's good to hear you excited about finding accent pieces. The last thing you want is to get bogged down with a project. Your creativity always flows better when you can have fun with it.
May 13, 2013 at 9:56am   
Danielle Lyn
cdrdesign

Ill bring up the move to the contractor, as of right now we were going to have them wrap the kitchen around. I know that is hard to envision and/or im not explaining it the right way lol But basically the end of the counter on the sliding glass door wall will be extended and we will make an L kind of where we can add seating

The sliding glass door will soon be french doors as soon as we can get it installed that is.. DH and dad have a long list of chores first. LIKE MY FLOORS!!!!! which is another debate because they both want to keep the current floors and re-stain them (eSpresso), I think that is going to look bad because how will we match that with what is going in the "great room"

kitchen: short, upper cabinets and overall the sf of kitchen is small for the house. Yes this is what I said, the contractor gave the DH the option to extend the current cabinets up to the ceiling they will be short cabinets that sit basically on the current ones, with glass doors. I did not like this idea, i was vetoed. He likes the color of the cabinets and also went with this option.....they are wood framed but have a glass front (the door of the cupboards will be glass I mean) which means we are probably going to have to reface the current ones with glass as well. At least that will get rid of some of that ugly ugly maple!!!!!

This is something that I sent an email about this morning. If he could remove that backsplash without ruining the 15k countertops because I personally love those counters, just hate everything else in there lol
May 13, 2013 at 10:08am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
If you opt for window seating, I would recommend a bench, similar to ones you see in a bay window. The only thing I would be careful about is your windows - they seem to end pretty close to the floor. You don't want to add a tall bench seat that will cover part of your view. Consider something low and simple like the first photo below. You could have it fill the entire wall (needing nothing extra in the corners) or you could just angle the edges so that it looks like it fits the room. If you really feel like you need something else at the edges, you could add modular storage to either end like the cabinets in the second photo. But I think a nice bench could do the job on its own.
May 13, 2013 at 10:10am   
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc.for me the accessories are the fun part, its the big stuff I hate, like choosing a sofa. We are going to visit west elm in chicago (in June, forever away) so that I can look at it closer. I want to feel it, sit in it, etc.
May 13, 2013 at 10:11am     
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc. it is very low is a about a foot :( Im open to trying what is in the first picture and putting end tables or something between the wall and the seating?? How do you feel about that? If it looks bad then put the end cabinets in?
May 13, 2013 at 10:14am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Espresso floors will look fine with your gray and neutral decor - see below for the color combo. Your real problem with espresso floors is that it won't match the maple cabinets at all. Maybe you could use that point in your debate.

You almost always see dark cabinets with light flooring, NOT dark flooring with light cabinets. Dark floors will just make the maple seem lighter and more contrasting.
May 13, 2013 at 10:17am     
Danielle Lyn
What's probably going to happen is they are going to extend those cupboards to the ceiling with glass front cabinets so I would really like to have them do is paint the rest of the cabinets white when they are refacing them with new doors.....again my Dh likes that color ughh so might not happen
May 13, 2013 at 10:24am     
Danielle Lyn
I want dark floors so very badly I will secretly pay the contractor to paint those cupboards white if I have to!
May 13, 2013 at 10:25am     
May 13, 2013 at 10:26am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Carolins, I'm always willing to be corrected! It definitely helps to see good examples.
However, it seems that for Danielle, the problem is the light maple cabinets.
May 13, 2013 at 10:57am     
CDR Design
Danielle, with the window seating, I would recommend something tall on the ends. You need something to make it look like the area is cozy. It could be bookcases or even a wall. See my "Green Lake" photo above. See how they framed out and dry walled the area to the left and right of the window seat, so that the window seat is inset?
May 13, 2013 at 11:01am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Danielle, if you can barter for white kitchen cabinets, I think that would look excellent with your black granite countertop and wood floors - whether the floors stay light or go espresso. It'd also match much better with the white and gray in your great room.

Now for your window seating, I honestly think you could just have a window bench without any need for end tables or storage at the sides. I attached a drawing - if the bench goes wall to wall, it might help to get that cozy feel cdrdesign is talking about. You won't need anything at the ends and with a longer bench, you can arrange your pillows on the sides so they cover less of your great view. You can do bookcases / drywall like they suggested, but you would need very narrow bookcases to fit the space without covering the windows, and adding drywall makes your renovation a whole new construction project. From what I've heard so far, that's not really what you're looking for. In my drawing, there's a little dashed line where you could make the bench shorter if you would like. I think you could go without end tables and just center the bench under the windows. But if it feels incomplete to you, find something to add in those corners.
May 13, 2013 at 11:27am     
Danielle Lyn
carolins I really love that light color with the dark floor! I think with new hardware maybe we could make the light color work!!! I seriously really like that, I think you may have saved us a lot of $$!!!!!!! Martis #219 I love the backsplash on that!!!!! If we can change the doors to look like the Green Gambrel Kitchen Detail one, basically just flat door.
May 13, 2013 at 11:30am     
CDR Design
I like Keesee's window seat drawing....good idea.

Also, I think carolins photos are awesome depiction of how you could save your cabinets. The height is the big problem, which you could save with soffets or cabinets above.
May 13, 2013 at 11:37am     
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc. I really love your sketch!! I like the idea of the seating taking the whole wall! That never occurred to me, I need to learn to think outside the box! I really want to do this! I found a tutorial for how to build this yourself, theirs had drawers underneath....which will not fit because its soo low to the ground. I think I would like the cushion flush with the window cil or should it be flush with the crown molding?
May 13, 2013 at 11:40am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Since your window is so low, I'd suggest having it flush with the window sill. You still want it to be high enough that's it's comfortable to sit on.
May 13, 2013 at 11:44am     
Danielle Lyn
cdrdesign- I totally agree...I really like how they look with the dark floor. New cabinet doors and I think I could be happy with it!! I still dont know how I feel about the little cabinets above after seeing those doors. Im wondering If he can build the cabinets to the top and then we could just get longer cabinet doors? I hope that makes since and I dont know if you can get longer cabinet doors or not
May 13, 2013 at 11:45am   
carolins
Are we all making a great team or what?! ;-)
May 13, 2013 at 11:47am     
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc.will do! I am so excited to go home from work measure and go to the hardware store!!! :) Now I can find a cushion to go on top! Ill probably figure out how to make one instead though because its going to be a lot longer than the ones im finding online!
May 13, 2013 at 11:48am   
Danielle Lyn
carolins Seriously!!!!!
May 13, 2013 at 11:49am     
carolins
Perhaps you can find a solution for your bench cushion here (don't know them, someone suggested them in another thread and I saved the link because I thought it may come in handy some day. Et voilá :-)) http://www.cushionsource.com/
May 13, 2013 at 11:55am   
Danielle Lyn
That's incredible helpful! I'm not sure i was crafty enough to make it! Lol
May 13, 2013 at 12:25pm   
CDR Design
Yes, when we all collaborate on ideas it works best. I have used cushionsource.com. They are excellent. You could also use a local seamstress or make one yourself, as you said.

Your idea for your cabinet just may work. What size is existing cabinets and what size does that manufacturer have in the smaller cabinets you were going to add on top? Keep in mind that the cabinets could also be moved (so, e.g. if there is not enough space at the top they could be moved down a little to accommodate).
May 13, 2013 at 12:36pm   
Danielle Lyn
I will measure the kitchen cabinets when I get home :) collaboration is great, it only took a day of suggestions for me to figure out the great room, I have been skipping that room for the last month, I think I just needed a little input!!
May 13, 2013 at 12:42pm   
CDR Design
Danielle,

question about your L shape you were going to add to the right of the French doors. Are you going to do this and also still keep the island? I am thinking it will be quite crowded?

How about, instead of adding that L, moving your island to the entrance of your kitchen. It would be parallel to the fireplace and perpendicular to the French Doors. You would enter the kitchen to the right and left of this piece.

See photo below. The countertop you would put on it would, as below, curve out into where the light fixture is now. You could add 3 chairs.

You would still have plenty of room to move around the French doors for entrance and egress.

Your piece would obviously be much smaller than photo below, but just gives you the idea.

What do you think?

]
May 13, 2013 at 1:14pm   
Danielle Lyn
So your saying extend the kitchen to the breakfast nook? Move the island to in front of the sliding glass door?
May 13, 2013 at 1:27pm   
For the cushion for your banquette, I suggest you call two or three local upholsterers with the dimensions of the cushion you will need and get pricing from them. Freight on a long cushion could be very expensive if it's over the normal UPS length.
May 13, 2013 at 1:57pm     
Danielle Lyn
Actually my mom said she made the one for her house,so I think ill have her make it! Hers looks great I though she bought hers
May 13, 2013 at 2:25pm   
Danielle Lyn
Cdr designs- we have 30 inch cabinets with 13 inches above them!
May 13, 2013 at 2:39pm   
Danielle Lyn
Your saying the island should be moved to this spot? It's 11 feet from carpet to cabinets idk if that helps its hard to get a picture of how big this space is... Messy counters all the plants had to come in we're under a freeze warning,.,...
May 13, 2013 at 3:11pm   
LB Interiors
I would use the space by the slider for dining. It's made for it and will service your needs for a dining room.
May 13, 2013 at 4:23pm   
Danielle Lyn
We have a formal dining room that we use now
May 13, 2013 at 5:15pm   
LB Interiors
Oh, I'm sorry, guess I missed that. What about a small breakfast dinette?
May 13, 2013 at 5:28pm   
Danielle Lyn
What I wanted there was this
but my mom and bf keep saying its going to look bad...im sure they are right.....
May 13, 2013 at 5:30pm   
LB Interiors
I love this. It's conducive to a sitting lounge space and would not use the whole set near your kitchen but ... I think I would use the chairs.and get a dining table height as close in deisgn to the one in this photo. It also could be a glass top table with the chrome base. I'd love it.
May 13, 2013 at 5:38pm   
Danielle Lyn
We have bought the stuff for the window seat! We are using this tutorial (http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2012/06/we-have-a-window-seat) but we are not putting cupboard doors in. I think I just want it solid like this(
) and try to put molding on the front like theirs had?....and im keeping the vents a pretty silver color instead of painting those!
May 13, 2013 at 5:39pm   
LB Interiors
Re: purple chair set - You could also integrate this in the living room on the empty wall. (in pic with your pooch)
May 13, 2013 at 5:40pm   
LB Interiors
I was talking about the space next to the kitchen where the slider is.
May 13, 2013 at 5:43pm   
Danielle Lyn
LB Interiors- I want those purple chairs sooo badly but the DH was very clear that he hated those chairs lol! So i will have to choose a different color. Yes I will dif get the chairs first before I get that center table! You inspired me I want to use this http://www.target.com/p/three-hands-chrome-stool/-/A-14249248#prodSlot=medium_1_55&term=accent+tables with a glass top! I have to finish the "great room" before I start this project but I think id like to give this a shot!
May 13, 2013 at 5:44pm     
Danielle Lyn
yeah HAM dogs.....they seem to sneak into every picture. I try to get them out of the pictures. I wont do a white rug there because it will be right off the slider and that is the pups entrance......it would be brown after a few years......
May 13, 2013 at 5:47pm     
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc. found this pendant light and i love it this is what I would put over that table. http://popeyekam.en.made-in-china.com/productimage/vbtEUejDrZWq-2f0j00rKuEOmWGbtcj/China-Pendant-Lighting-780S2-8-.html.
May 13, 2013 at 5:49pm   
LB Interiors
Thanks - I love the chairs too. It does a person good to get away from their norm - out of the box ...What is he afraid of? The color? or the durability? or what? I hope you do think about it. If you love them, there has to be a way that we convince hubby to be okay with them. Maybe a compromise somewhere else?
May 13, 2013 at 5:50pm   
LB Interiors
That link you posted is a stool not a table, did you realize that? But they could take the place of the purple chairs.
May 13, 2013 at 5:51pm   
Danielle Lyn
I know its a stool but I think i could get a glass top to fit on top of it. He hates the color he thinks its too intense and doesnt feel it will go well with the color of the cabinets which he is probably correct! I think we can find a compromise with the chairs. I think we can find something of the same style or close to the same style in a more muted color........booooo
May 13, 2013 at 5:57pm   
Limelight Interiors
Forgive me if I repeat something mentioned earlier. I just recently went through a gruelling search for LR furniture with a client. We discovered several things that are worth considering:
- a sofa with a split seat in the centre is uncomfortable to sit on an will become one GIANT loveseat (since no one wants to sit there) shop for a sofa with one single seat cushion or 3 or 4 separate cushions
- sofas with backs between 34 to 36" high keep space open
- armless chairs are not comfortable; they don't allow "slumping" or "slouching "
-2 chairs with an accent table between is appreciated by guests more so than a loveseat which can encroach on personal space and be awkward for some guests (loveseats often become large one-sweaters!)

A sofa with 2 comfortable accent chairs offers just as much seating as a sofa and a loveseat but has more visual interest
May 13, 2013 at 5:57pm   
LB Interiors
Danielle - found a terrific dining table. glass and chrome http://www.wayfair.com/Alpine-Furniture-Soho-Dining-Table-665-22-QAA1526.html
May 13, 2013 at 6:00pm   
LB Interiors
That stool is only 17" high - can't be used for dining. I think it would look a liitle off, if the set seemed like a lounge set near the kitchen.
May 13, 2013 at 6:01pm   
Danielle Lyn
Limelight Interiors- I agree we want two chairs the hubby and I can sit on the sofa together and let guests sit on the chairs....We want a sofa with one long cushion, I feel it looks cleaner.
May 13, 2013 at 6:02pm   
Danielle Lyn
yeah.....it needs to be high enough and circled..
May 13, 2013 at 6:03pm   
LB Interiors
May 13, 2013 at 6:05pm   
Danielle Lyn
yeah I like that table a lot.......we just need to find chairs first though....but Im doing that spot next, gotta finish the great room lol
May 13, 2013 at 6:10pm   
LB Interiors
Ok ...here goes what you can mention to hubby about the purple chairs and cabinet colors. If you add some purple chair color in the kitchen as accessories, and some art nearby with purple. A vase, a bowl, a box for recipes on the counter. Boxes can be recovered in most anything like wrapping paper, wallpaper, spray painted etc. etc.You've got the co-ordination.

Purple does not clash with the cabinets. the cabinets seem to have a golden undertone and purples definately look great with yellows.
May 13, 2013 at 6:13pm   
Danielle Lyn
I let him read the post he said fine..... Hahaha
May 13, 2013 at 6:24pm   
LB Interiors
Seriously? yay
May 13, 2013 at 6:27pm   
LB Interiors
BTW .. looked again at the space and the kitchen walls are yellow tone and floors also have yellow undertone. That area could be dynamic! Even tho you said you don't like the cabinet color.
May 13, 2013 at 6:32pm   
Danielle Lyn
Yeah except I should have checked her website first they don't offer that color anymore:( they have the chair still but not that color......
May 13, 2013 at 6:32pm   
LB Interiors
Oh no, my heart was set on those for you!
May 13, 2013 at 6:34pm   
Danielle Lyn
I can find something close I am confident.... Sorta of
May 13, 2013 at 6:41pm   
LB Interiors
Yes. they have to be out there somewhere.
May 13, 2013 at 6:42pm   
Danielle Lyn
http://www.mgbwhome.com/CELIA-COLLECTION-P8408.aspx Celia sofa for living room? If its under 1000 I need to call tomorrow
May 13, 2013 at 6:49pm   
LB Interiors
I know many others are suggesting gray sofa. I'm not sure if that's too much gray with walls and area carpet. If you want monochromatic and very neutral, then that would work. If I remember right, did you say you wanted to change out flooring later and go with a dark floor for kitchen and living room?
If so, I'm not liking the gray sofa on a dark floor. Just my feeling.
May 13, 2013 at 6:56pm   
CDR Design
Love that sofa!

Kitchen cabinets: if they are 30" .....then you would need the other cabinets contractor is installing to be 12". Then, you have 42 " cabinets, which is standard height. You should be able to find a door for them. The extra inch at top will be trim or crown molding. Cabinets can always be moved up or down if needed.
May 13, 2013 at 7:01pm   
To save the day for all your gray and a dark floor, a light colored area rug will come to the rescue
May 13, 2013 at 7:03pm     
Danielle Lyn
Ok ill start look for 42 inch doors! Can you explain more what you had in mind for the island? You think it would look good moved in front of the sliding glass door? The same direction it is now or were you thinking to make the skinnier end towards the door?
May 13, 2013 at 7:06pm   
Danielle Lyn
May 13, 2013 at 7:08pm   
LB Interiors
Love the color! Yes Yes, Yes - I'm partial to color.
May 13, 2013 at 7:09pm   
Danielle Lyn
http://www.flor.com/parallel-reality-burgundy.html I also liked this too it's really going to depend on what chairs I go with..... I wanted this one for the kitchen but I doubt it will go in there so maybe here
May 13, 2013 at 7:12pm   
CDR Design
Island-here are my thoughts on the island and moving it (I like to think out of the box and make areas functional as possible), so here goes for your thoughts:

Why

-you said you never eat in the kitchen and always in the dining room
-no need to spend extra money on a table
-when you have people over or just otherwise, the table would be in a main traffic flow---people walking out to deck, etc. It would be great to have that space somewhat clear
-people like to hang out in the kitchen: the island moved would be somewhat of a barrier for them to enter kitchen
-moving the island would give you more space in the kitchen itself, both functionally and visually
-you would still have seating
-provides a space for a buffet to serve food
-larger counter for you to roll out dough for cookies or pastry (you do that each night, right?) or to work on any project
-counter top seating is more casual and says to people "come up and sit down for a minute"
-add visual and architectural interest to your kitchen

IDEA:

-You will be facing the cabinet portion toward the kitchen (sort of obvious)
-The kitchen edge of the countertop will be straight
-The other three sides of the countertop will form a semicircle or perhaps the 2 sides will be straight and the side toward the great room only will be rounded (just depends on how much room you have)
-You will be placing counterheight chairs on the rounded sides (they can be purple for sure)(see "traditional white and blue...." in my pic above for inspiration)
-Since the piece is centered, you can enter the kitchen on either side of the island.
-How far out to set it? I am now sure how wide it is, but I think the inner part could start where the sliding doors start (You might even be able to move it closer in)
-The cabinet itself is 25" deep I am guessing (standard kitch depth). Add another foot for semicircle extension and I am guessing at the new countertop depth (at top of semicircle) is about 3 feet.
-So, I don't think it will extend out any farther than the center of the door.

This makes it much easier to navigate around than a table. Extra cost will be threading floorboards where island was (depending on if flooring installed after island), moving island, and new countertop (Could make it interesting and do in different granite ).

I think you will be amazed at how much you use such an island and will think "what did I ever do without it?"
May 13, 2013 at 7:32pm     
LB Interiors
Just a thoiught, if you move the island out in breakfast area, put it on lockable wheels. If or when you may sell the home, I would place it back where it was originally as most people would not use the space this way. Just my thoughts.
May 13, 2013 at 7:40pm   
Danielle Lyn
That is what I'm most worried about with making large modifications. This is most likely not our forever home......
May 13, 2013 at 7:51pm   
Danielle Lyn
But ill mention it to our contractor and see if he can quote me for the cost of moving the island. We are looking for larger cabinet doors now yay!
May 13, 2013 at 7:52pm   
bowdavis
Lots of great ideas and comments. My only suggestion is to consider how hard it will be to keep those dark wood floors clean.
May 13, 2013 at 8:19pm     
Danielle Lyn
I already sweep every night because of the dogs, someone mentioned before that dark floors get dusty easy.... The dogs bring in so much sand and I hate stepping in sand so I always sweep at night
May 13, 2013 at 8:40pm   
LB Interiors
My son has dark floors and three large dogs. Two are white huskies. You talk about swiffering all the time.
May 13, 2013 at 8:46pm   
Danielle Lyn
Yeah we have to now so not much difference lol! Our dogs shed very little, extremely little. However they do track massive amounts of sand!
May 14, 2013 at 3:45am   
CDR Design
Danielle,

-I have 2 labs. The sweeping never ends. Also pine floors which they have kindly naturally "distressed" for me. There was no charge!

-Island: I thought of the buyer issue. You have a dining room. Realizing that most people want their main eating area in the kitchen/great room area, you can always stage your house a little differently when you sell, by putting a table in the great room. You call it "great room/breakfast room". The trend now is to have just one casual eating area and maybe a dining room.

-One other idea would be for you to put a totally round countertop on your island. The sides would extend all the way around, so that you could put chairs all the way around. So, there is your and your buyer's kitchen table, but it is also a working island. The chairs could slide totally underneath. It would be easier to walk around than a table, as you don't have those chairs in the way.

-In any case, if I were you, I would not be spending $ on a table that will be getting in the way and you don't use and will be making your kitchen seem cramped and small.
May 14, 2013 at 3:50am   
CDR Design
Danielle,

couch-if you buy that couch from mgbwhome, I think you need to accent that beautiful curvature in the back. You might consider placing it facing the fireplace.
May 14, 2013 at 3:53am   
Danielle Lyn
Keesee and Associates, Inc. I tried to contact that company for the light...have you used them?
May 14, 2013 at 5:11am   
Danielle Lyn
cdrdesigns the contractor said for a the size of the island top we would need to put there it would be about $5000 in granite and other costs. We simply have to many other projects we have to do first before we can spend that. We still need furniture/rugs/accessories for three more rooms first. We still dont have dining room chairs..........
May 14, 2013 at 5:15am   
Danielle Lyn
which is more because I cant make a decision and I want chairs that are $300 a piece and we need at least 6 of them........
May 14, 2013 at 5:15am   
carolins
Which dining room chairs are you considering Danielle?
May 14, 2013 at 5:29am   
CDR Design
Danielle....glad you checked on island. Granite is not cheap! Something maybe down the line....

It is a lot of $ to move into a new home!!!!
May 14, 2013 at 5:52am   
Butcher block is less expensive, but certainly not cheap.
May 14, 2013 at 6:01am   
Danielle Lyn
It doesnt have to be this specific one but I want upholstered hourglass shape chairs with nailheads (Im unsure what they are actually called). http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Nimes-Putty-Grey-Side-Chair/5016632/product.html its on sale now for 216...but still that is going to be a lot. Ill probably just end up putting parsons chairs there and put the hourglass chair at the heads of the table.
May 14, 2013 at 6:13am     
You're right, Danielle, those shiny metal things on the tufted chair are indeed called nailheads and come in many styles and finishes.
May 14, 2013 at 6:28am   
Danielle Lyn
Yeah I have made a habit of wanting things that are toooo expensive! I spend hours trying to find them more affordable and then get disappointed when I can't! Lol I wanted color in there because the room is gray but that is even harder to find in those lol
May 14, 2013 at 6:31am     
CDR Design
Pier one has several hourglass chairs. Here is one in smoky blue:
http://www.pier1.com/Hourglass-Dining-Chair---Smoke-Blue-Damask/2644674,default,pd.html
May 14, 2013 at 6:34am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Danielle, we haven't used them before. I just found them through Google this time. If it's not working out, I'll see if I can find any similar pendant lights on a different site.
May 14, 2013 at 6:35am   
kimdee24
Danielle, you're not alone! I was looking at chandeliers the other day, and every time I saw one I really liked, I thought, oh... right, $13,000! Move along little Ms. Expensive Taste!
May 14, 2013 at 6:35am     
CDR Design
check out home decorators. They have a store in chicago.
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Becca_Nailhead_Dining_Chair/830/
May 14, 2013 at 6:36am     
CDR Design
It is a curse to have good taste!
May 14, 2013 at 6:37am   
Danielle Lyn
OHHHHH Home Decorators!!!! 159!! much more do able!!!!!
May 14, 2013 at 6:57am     
Danielle Lyn
May 14, 2013 at 6:59am   
Danielle Lyn
I really like the tufted home decorators one.....that isnt going to add much color but ohhh well ill figure out how to add it elsewhere!!
May 14, 2013 at 7:00am   
carolins
They do look like they are a good match.But yeah... you can't be sure until you see them live. I like that the pier1 ones have a different fabric on the back.
May 14, 2013 at 7:02am   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I found some nice dining chairs at pier one which should last you a while till you can afford the ones you want. We also found Henredon chairs at an Estate sale. The sales are a great way to find great things at a much better price, especially if you shop those in high end neighborhoods.
May 14, 2013 at 7:03am   
lpmenache has made an excellent point about buying at estate sales. Inexpensive new chairs can be a waste of money if the color is slightly off, or even more likely, they're not very comfortable. Buying well made chairs that are previously owned may mean you have to reupholster the chairs, but it also means you have a quality chair.
I would not buy a chair I have not sat in.
May 14, 2013 at 7:14am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Here are some similar lights I found, but I'm not sure if you'll like the price tag. I just wanted to give you the options. A pendant in an unusual shape may be hard to find for a cheaper price. So the last link I included was a simpler option, that would still look great with your island lighting and dress up the area a bit. Good luck shopping!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=logico+pendant+light http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Modern-White-Red-Fabric-Shade-Ceiling-Light-Pendant-Lamp-Fixture-Lighting-/150959656813 (says it comes in white as well - check before you buy) http://www.yliving.com/vibia-ameba-pendant-light.html http://www.wayfair.com/Progress-Lighting-Illuma-Flex-Onion-Mini-Pendant-in-White-Glass-and-Brushed-Nickel-P6170-09W-PG6439.html
May 14, 2013 at 7:14am   
Danielle Lyn
we actually found a light we liked, its hard to explain but its white inside but has a metal overlay kind of....its shaped like the second light you showed me above
May 14, 2013 at 7:18am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
That's great! I'm glad you found something :)
May 14, 2013 at 7:18am   
Danielle Lyn
yes, i have given up on the chairs the last month.....I trying to stop looking because in theory i will then find what I want lol
May 14, 2013 at 7:19am     
vacox
Danielle, I just wanted to chime in and say that I LOVE the purple chair and small table idea for your kitchen "eating area". I do not think it would look funny, and it would be a natural way station for people during parties. Anyway, I love it, and since you never eat here, I think it'll be great. Plus these smaller style chairs can be easily moved for managing flow at larger parties. :-)
May 14, 2013 at 7:33am   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
The obvious choice is a large painting or a smaller painting and flanked by a pair of wall sconces, Hopefully hard wired if possible. You can also do a collage of different size paintings above the mantle. I would not put a mantle shelf over this mantle which is quite beautiful by itself.
May 14, 2013 at 7:36am   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Sorry wrong thread and it wont erase
May 14, 2013 at 7:38am   
CDR Design
Yes, the "blank slate" chairs at Homedecorators will give you more leeway to add splash in other places.

I always encourage people to buy quality, but we have to consider a lot of factors: not everybody wants to spend their time going to estate sales, then finding fabric, maybe restaining. Danielle really wants an hourglass chair and it seems she would like her house to be at least somewhat completed in a reasonable period of time.

Danielle.....another idea is TJ Maxx Home Goods. They are "hit or miss" and often just have one or two chairs that match, but they are usually good quality. An idea would be to find maybe 2 end chairs at TJ Maxx with some bling and then buy the 4 others at Homedecorators.

They have a store in Lake Zurich, IL (near where I used to live) and I believe they are adding a second one.

PS: Flor also has a brick and mortar location in Chicagoland.
May 14, 2013 at 7:48am   
Danielle Lyn
I already went to flor in chi lol! I wanted to make sure i liked the rug i had selected for the kitchen. We have a home goods I was actually going there on my lunch to look at chairs for great room or dining room... I check weekly there because like you said it's hit miss and they get shipments every Tuesday morning :)
May 14, 2013 at 8:05am   
Danielle Lyn
Oh that mantle is another story lol! No decisions are being made for that or for accent pieces until I choose my chairs/sofas! We bought the materials to make the window seat and its going to stay without a pad until I'm done
May 14, 2013 at 8:07am   
Danielle Lyn
Oops they said wrong thread
May 14, 2013 at 8:07am   
Danielle Lyn
Thanks vacox... That is what we are going to do for now....I first have to choose the kitchen rugs then chairs/table. I want the kitchen rug to make the rug to go under that area. But the rug decision for that kitchen has been difficult lol I find ones I love and it just doesn't match!
May 14, 2013 at 8:09am   
CDR Design
Go Danielle!....you are really on this. Great work so far....you have done it.....we are just here for ideas.
May 14, 2013 at 8:20am   
Danielle Lyn
its just nice to have someone to bounce ideas off! I would be stuck without it, literally we would have an empty house. I ask DH for ideas....he just says "I dont care" or "sure, whatever you'd like" without realizing that is not helpful. lol
May 14, 2013 at 8:27am   
CDR Design
"Whatever you'd like" !: That's a perfect DH!
May 14, 2013 at 8:31am   
carolins
Oh no! The pressure! :-D
May 14, 2013 at 8:32am   
Remove every thing you have in there, incl area rug. No rug over rug. I love pic of backless sofa. I would get in a pale aqua. Opposite place a 2 seater sofa the same color and fabric, have 2seater as long as bench type. The backless would be window side. Add a very large square coffee table 40x40 in silver Z Galleries has one sit flat to floor. have 18" between table and sofa. On windows floor to ceiling panels in a peacock satin very full. Shiny almost metallic look. Extend rod pass window edge by 6". Next to firepl. Two 5-6 ft chest with tall vertical mirrors in black. Put same on each side. Do you recessed lighting? Adding tall black and silver narrow lamps to chest on end. On wall behind reg sofa a very large 6x7 ft painting. Can be contemporary in shades of aqua, turquoise greens would be perfect. On sofas add pillows in silver gray and black. Over firepl a art piece in colors you have. Silver candlestick on mantel just 3. This room can be striking. Firepl wall needs to be a focal pt. something dramatic. That's why I said chest with mirrors. Z Galleries has a black chest with mirrored doors. See on line to see what Im talking about. A big palm in ceramic pot by window and on back wall with art should finish it.
May 14, 2013 at 8:55am   
After looking at windows extend rod all the way out to make that look like a huge window put palm on right side of windows.
May 14, 2013 at 8:58am   
Can you hang a chandelier? It would hang over coffee table centered. Black drum light big 24-30" hung about 40-42" above table.
May 14, 2013 at 9:01am   
Saw kitchen. You can stain maple. And I would. Go dark like expresso. Looks rich against black. Lights are good. Are getting new appl? Stainless will bring the room together more. Backsplash, glass tiles in teal aqua grays and black. The long ones not square.
May 14, 2013 at 9:08am   
Didn't read all post. But I did see redo floors. Why?
May 14, 2013 at 9:09am   
Windows to low for a window seat. Don't need it. Beautiful just frame with panels.
May 14, 2013 at 9:13am   
I like your idea of dark floors with creamy white cabinets with a glaze. Glass fronts will open up room. To the ceiling for cabinets .
May 14, 2013 at 9:15am   
Maybe I got it wrong I thought you were talking about putting window seat in living room. Sorry love seat for kitchen.
May 14, 2013 at 9:17am   
Danielle Lyn
No chairs found my stand for between my chairs in the great room
May 14, 2013 at 9:18am     
Love 4 chairs with low table between for kitchen. A big area rug try zebra. Make chairs armless and low.
May 14, 2013 at 9:20am   
What are you calling room with firepl? I'm getting confused . Love mirrored table . But don't really need in firepl rm.
May 14, 2013 at 9:26am   
Danielle Lyn
The fireplace room is the great room lol the little space off the kitchen/ in front of the sliding glass door is where I want the 4 chairs. I will put window seat under the window in the living room and we are. Doing one sofa and two chairs in the great room( it's the great room bc that is what the floor plans said lol)
May 14, 2013 at 9:38am   
Danielle Lyn
Oh redo floors because I hate carpet!!!! And I like darker flooring
May 14, 2013 at 9:39am   
Danielle Lyn
ok travisinteriors im going to try to answer all your questions in one post lol
1. The contractor said he wouldn't stain maple....I wanted espresso cabinets desperately, I was told no
2. Window seat looks really nice there, I didn't think I would like it at first because it was going to be so low. With the correct cushion and pillows I think ill love it more. If not its not built in and can move it :) and I know another spot i will put it :)
3 Palm tree yes, these are essential in our home because I hate MICHIGAN and palm trees make me happy!
4. Rug not staying...i just didn't know where to put it right now so its just hanging out there.
5. Lighting. Yes I want a chandelier there, there is a light switch for it but not the actual fixture up their. We will have an electrician install one along with in the bedroom. Its rather annoying to not have overhead lighting!!!!!!
May 14, 2013 at 9:49am     
Danielle Lyn
oh and we are replacing the appliances as they break.......we cant just replace.....there will be a stainless steel range put in over the stove when that dreaded microwave bites it.....I keep wishing it would now!!!!
May 14, 2013 at 10:48am   
bowdavis
Where do you plan to put the new microwave?
May 14, 2013 at 10:50am   
vacox
The contractor said he would not stain the maple? Why, because he personally doesn't like doing that, or is there some good reason? If the former, find another contractor asap. I do not think that is reasonable.
May 14, 2013 at 11:36am   
Danielle Lyn
He said maple stains streaky because of grain of the wood
May 14, 2013 at 12:01pm   
Danielle Lyn
We will have a small one and put it on the counter that you can't see in that picture
May 14, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Danielle Lyn
im having to design stuff at work (our graphic designer quit..) so I took a break and found this chair for the family room http://www.target.com/p/hudson-upholstered-accent-chair-gray-citron/-/A-14105316?reco=Rec%7Cpdp%7C14105316%7CClickCP%7Citem_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec%7Cpdp%7CClickCP%7Citem_page.vertical_1 I still like the west elm one better but....this is substantially cheaper and could add a little color $700 vs. $170 for a chair that will only be sat on occasionally since I know i will be parked on the window seat. Thoughts?
May 14, 2013 at 1:34pm     
Danielle Lyn
May 14, 2013 at 1:35pm   
CDR Design
I like the gray and yellow one much more than the second one. Second one has browns in it and I don't see how it would go with the gray couch.

Furthermore, I simply like the grey and yellow one better.
May 14, 2013 at 1:49pm   
I would not recommend trying to stain your maple. It is notoriously difficult to stain and I've seen a disaster where it was attempted incorrectly. The cabinet and flooring companies who offer prefinished maple cabinets in various stains have much more sophisticated methods of staining than your best local painter has.
May 14, 2013 at 2:28pm   
Danielle Lyn
I agree I like the yellow and gray...Dh likes it better than the west elm one, he dislikes the west elm pattern. I blind test him, I don't let him see the price until after he chooses
May 14, 2013 at 4:34pm     
CDR Design
Love the blind test idea! That price is great and I think those are nice chairs.
May 14, 2013 at 4:46pm     
Margaret B
Wow great Idea with the blind test! I'll be trying that soon!
May 14, 2013 at 5:04pm   
Danielle Lyn
Lol yes I really do like them. I don't know if I like them better than west elm but I do like them and Dh really wants the target ones! He rarely has an opinion so when he does I try to side with him :)
May 14, 2013 at 5:17pm   
Nancy Walton
Great choice on the chairs! Yellow and grey are a great combination...
May 14, 2013 at 5:18pm     
Nancy Walton
Can we see photo of the window seat?
May 14, 2013 at 5:18pm   
Danielle Lyn
It's not built yet we just have the materials to do it. We put box mock ups there so we could see what it looked like. We are waiting to build it until we have all the furniture in place. I want to see how deep to make it.
May 14, 2013 at 5:37pm   
Nancy Walton
I can tell you, 18" would be minimum, and 24" would be optimal.
May 14, 2013 at 5:48pm   
LB Interiors
Smaller people don't like deep seating. So it's a matter of choice. 24" maybe if you have back pillows. My thoughts.
May 14, 2013 at 6:26pm   
LB Interiors
Chairs - The gray and yellow is safer. If you want to be bold, the purple. I think the purple chair looks like it's has warm taupe, which pretty much can work with anything.
May 14, 2013 at 6:29pm   
Danielle Lyn
We are doing the gray and yellow chairs :)
May 14, 2013 at 9:35pm   
Danielle Lyn
Idk how I feel about 24 deep because my feet wouldn't reach the ground... That is a decision I will have to determine a little farther down the road
May 14, 2013 at 9:37pm   
Nancy Walton
You could make up a box with the height of your window seat + cushion height and custom make it to fit YOU! Then when you do make your window seat you will know exactly how deep to make it.
May 14, 2013 at 10:51pm   
Nancy Walton
Danielle, I just noticed your heating vents in the floor in front of your windows. Don't forget to have ventilating spaces in your window seat if you are going to run it all the way to the floor.
May 14, 2013 at 10:59pm   
CDR Design
Vents: you buy an elbow vent and you will be venting out the front of the box.

Size: you are wise just to wait until you have furniture in there and decide size then.
May 15, 2013 at 2:55am   
CDR Design
Danielle,

Just thinking ahead (something you can decide after you get couch and chairs in)

to balance the horizontal space that the window seat will consume on the right side of the room, I think you will need something on the left side.

I think you mentioned very large mirrors, which is an idea. A second idea would be to have very slim-line counter-height table/s. They could be long and narrow with seating behind....or you could do 2 sets of small high-top tables (small squares) with 2 chairs on the sides of each. Finally, you could do tall bookcases.

I think the idea of having an alternate seating area is the best, though.

]
May 15, 2013 at 3:46am   
Danielle Lyn
your talking about on the blank wall? We are going to probably do a sofa table, just because that is where we unfortunately have to put the wireless router.........and I would like to hid that in the sofa table. I found one that has a perfect hiding space for cables/router.....
May 15, 2013 at 5:36am     
Danielle Lyn
we already bought the elbow vent thing along with other tin like stuff to put on the wood as well
May 15, 2013 at 5:38am   
CDR Design
You are way ahead of the game!

So, if a sofa table, then we are talking counter height. That will be great.

It will have a closed bottom then? How about placing a couple of counter height chairs next to it?
May 15, 2013 at 5:45am   
Danielle Lyn
Its not really counter height. I dont know the exact measurements but its like an inch below the sofa we have now. It is open bottom with two little stool like things that will tuck under it (if i can find them that is...they are in storage up north, i think)
May 15, 2013 at 8:09am     
Nancy Walton
OT. LOL. I moved two years ago, and whenever I can't find something I know I have, I say, "it must be in a box out in the garage."
May 15, 2013 at 9:25am   
Danielle Lyn
Yeah...luckily its not in our garage but unfortunately it is 2 hours away........
May 15, 2013 at 9:54am   
CDR Design
Height of sofa tables can vary. That is a good start for something slimline for that wall.
May 15, 2013 at 10:16am   
CDR Design
Not trying to confuse things, if you have already purchased your couch, but just saw this on Joss and Main and thought of your great room.
https://www.jossandmain.com/Skyline-Furniture-Winslet-Chaise-Lounge-In-Linen-Charcoal~SKY7026~E4730.html
May 15, 2013 at 10:19am   
Danielle Lyn
First of all you may have created a monster....because I just found the bedframe I want, I want that chaise, and I want one of those chairs!!!!!! OMG AND I LOVE tufted furniture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MY coworker is wondering what Im squeaking about!
May 15, 2013 at 10:58am   
Danielle Lyn
no we hadnt bought the sofa yet because I wanted to wait for the chairs...I was hoping to get a gray close to what is on the chairs!
May 15, 2013 at 10:59am   
CDR Design
I love Joss and Main. I have never ordered anything from them, but they have a good marketing technique: they put things one their website and make you want them through limitations (time and supply (e.g., "Only 3 days left" or "sold out"). I have noticed a lot of websites starting to use this technique. Another one is "Rue la la" (don't you love that name?)

So, I don't know if you can go somewhere and sit on the furniture?

I just know I love their stuff----I am on their email list and when this popped up today......I thought of you.

One thing.....couch would not be comfy to sit on for long period......but you have relaxing spot with window seat and chair you could lean back on.
May 15, 2013 at 11:11am   
Danielle Lyn
I don't care that much If its not comfortable as I will sit there rarely! I really love of the the chairs too! I want a lot of what is in that group, well most of it! Lol I found other websites like this when I was in college but for clothes/shoes/handbags. I downloaded the app ill prob be on there everyday
May 15, 2013 at 1:26pm   
carolins
I love those tufted square ottomans, the Hannah one. In charcoal grey. Sigh... :-) Just saying... not meaning that you should buy one... I just wanted to say it and my DH is watching football/soccer/whatever so is not to be disturbed ;-)
May 15, 2013 at 1:35pm   
Danielle Lyn
I love it all!!
May 15, 2013 at 2:28pm     
CDR Design
If you buy that couch, I hope you at least consider floating it and facing it toward the fireplace. You really need to take advantage of the "awe" factor that the gorgeous curvature will evoke.

If you buy 2 chairs in addition in addition to the couch, you could place one on each side of couch (so a U shape) or you could place both chairs on left side of fireplace (so an L shape). In the second scenario, the window seat would sort of become a part of the grouping.
May 15, 2013 at 2:38pm   
Danielle Lyn
We will put that facing the fireplace, two chairs on one side and a love seat facing the window making like a half circle kind of
May 15, 2013 at 2:42pm     
Danielle Lyn
Because we thought about it and we will need more seating than just the love seat and two chairs. Parents plus us in that room at Christmas is not going to fit! Plus our "kids" follow us around and no one wants to sit on the floor with them aka dogs
May 15, 2013 at 2:45pm     
CDR Design
Let us know which pieces you decide upon for the U-shape, if you don't mind. Would love to see....
May 15, 2013 at 3:48pm   
Danielle Lyn
We are actually having our current love seat reupholstered, I never even thought about this before then we will have those target chairs on the window side with mirrored piece in between it and then a curvy chaise lounge added to be in front of the fireplace. I am waiting a month or so but the chairs are coming first..I'm going to shop around idk that I love the target ones and then we will complete the rest. I want to keep looking, I do like the target ones but I'm not sure i love them
May 15, 2013 at 5:16pm   
CDR Design
I like the West Elm chairs better also, and they don't tie you into that yellow color. Just a thought to expand on Carolins' idea board above.....West Elm offers a 36" sq ottoman at $399 in the same fabric as those sweep chairs. You could buy this and then maybe have all solid furniture. West Elm will give you 10% off is you sign up for their emails.
http://www.westelm.com/products/essex-upholstered-ottoman-g176/?cm_src=PIPRecentView
May 16, 2013 at 4:11am   
Danielle Lyn
Dh doesn't like the west elm chairs so those are out. He rarely has opinions, I would like him involved. I also want this room to live up to his expectation.
May 16, 2013 at 5:57am   
Danielle Lyn
Expectations^. In the seven years of being together, he rarely states his opinion. Lol
May 16, 2013 at 5:59am   
CDR Design
Well, you didn't like the price of them.....so maybe it is just as well. Does he not like the fabric or not like the style?

Just my opinion, but for the long run, you are much better of with going with solid-color fabric and then accenting with pillows or other accents. Accents are relatively inexpensive and you can change them out in the future without a lot of $. In addition, you want the couch and the fireplace behind it to be the focal point, so you don't want too many distractions.
May 16, 2013 at 7:00am   
carolins
Have you checked Home Decorators? They have some really nicely priced chairs.
May 16, 2013 at 9:28am   
Danielle Lyn
He does not like the fabric, at all. I dont mind the price of the west elm but I liked the price of the target ones better lol. Im considering a solid color, for that reason but then I do like the idea of a pattern. I like the idea of the pattern as long as the colors stay neutral. I checked home decorators a few days ago, I like that style of chair and we going with that style, we just need to determine color/pattern if we go with a pattern
May 16, 2013 at 1:59pm   
CDR Design
maybe leather
May 16, 2013 at 3:39pm   
Danielle Lyn
I'm waiting to be wow'd that is what ill buy :)
May 16, 2013 at 4:29pm     
LB Interiors
I'd like a pattern chair. I checked target and they have some nice ones to choose from. You can go with the geometric, the tan, the yelllow, the lavandar, grey - nice choices http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=swoop+chairs&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_swoop+chairs
May 16, 2013 at 7:15pm   
carolins
Right, I have no experience with slipper chairs, but they don't seem hugely comfortable to me. And I feel that they are chairs for smaller rooms or as an accent chair somewhere. If you are looking for a comfortable formal living room, with a great sofa and comfortable chairs I wouldn't go for slipper chairs myself.
But I could be wrong about them. As I said, I don't know them 'personally'.
Please correct me if I'm wrong about them. I can take it :-)
May 17, 2013 at 12:36am   
CDR Design
The ones at West Elm that Danielle liked and also the target one that LB suggested are called "sweep" or "swoop" chairs. They are halfway between an armchair and slipper chair, because they have that swoop arm to them.

With the couch she has chosen, I think a more open arm like the swoop chair would look good. Or, something with some curved or rounded edges would work. I do not think something extremely closed in for boxy would work.

Danielle, what does your love seat look like and what are you covering it in?
May 17, 2013 at 3:18am     
Danielle Lyn
Love seat is being covered with white/cream microfiber and I like the style of chair that's the one I really want! I just need to find one in that style in the color or pattern I want and I'm confident that I will
May 17, 2013 at 4:10am   
CDR Design
Love the idea of the cream microfiber. Danielle, I would suggest you go to Ballard Designs. I am leaving town for a couple of days and won't be able to look, but they have an extensive line and you can choose your chair and apply the fabric online. You and dh can browse together. Here is one I chose with an ikat fabric (now that I see your note, maybe too much arm for you, but they may have a sweep chair). Prices are around West Elm range....maybe a little higher, but you will get what you want. Happy browsing.

It looks like the Ikat fabric did not apply when I copied this, but try it on there.
http://www.ballarddesigns.com/joselin-chair/chairs/upholstered-chairs/12151?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=14
May 17, 2013 at 4:15am   
Danielle Lyn
Thanks I appreciate all of the help!
May 17, 2013 at 4:40am   
carolins
@cdrdesign; thanks for explaining the difference in chairs. That was really helpful. Hope you have a nice couple of days.

I was thinking about chairs with the grey Westelm sofa in mind, not with the swoopy chaise lounge. As much as I like the chaise, I wasn't aware that this was the one that will be the main sofa in your living room Danielle. Such a different style from where we started from with the Westelm one. But that doesn't matter of course :-) If you and your husband like it and you feel it will create the atmosphere in your living room that you're after... I'll keep that one in mind when I think about your room :-)
May 17, 2013 at 6:17am   
Danielle Lyn
we aren't buying the chaise lounge for the great room. We are just using our current sofa and getting it reupholstered.
May 17, 2013 at 9:41am   
carolins
Ah, okay. It is finally dawning. And I do read the comments when they come up here, so must have missed a couple. Sorry. Great idea to reupholster your current sofa. And the cream microfiber makes sense too now. Nice!
May 17, 2013 at 10:11am   
Danielle Lyn
yea....its such a waste to get rid of a perfectly good sofa!
May 17, 2013 at 1:12pm   
Nancy Walton
Recycling at its best! I've had my sofa reupholstered twice now. It's 13 years old, and it's still good for a couple more times. That's why good classic style never goes out of style.
May 17, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Danielle Lyn
Question- SO there were so many post above about my kitchen cabinents not going up to the ceiling. The contractor said I can move them up and then put some crown molding around the top or he can build cabinets to extend them up to the ceiling, except they will not match current cupboard doors they will be glass. I need an opinion........I just want to move them up but I dont know if they is going to be too far off the counter.
May 17, 2013 at 1:52pm   
Nancy Walton
Yes, they would be too far up. I've seen the upper cabinets with glass doors and they are nice for putting the big decorative pieces in with lights. They make nice mood lighting if you have low-wattage LEDs, instead of incandescent. There photos on Houzz Ideabooks, I'm sure, I just didn't have time to do the research.
May 17, 2013 at 2:00pm   
Nancy Walton
I found one! Not the ssame color as you cabinets, but will give you the idea of what it would look like.
May 17, 2013 at 2:05pm     
Danielle Lyn
Ok....bummer
May 17, 2013 at 6:08pm   
Danielle Lyn
We will do that cabinets
May 17, 2013 at 6:09pm   
Danielle Lyn
They want to charge us 1000 bucks, to make them...... Our budgets getting tight
May 17, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Nancy Walton
Actually, that sounds pretty reasonable, but I know what you mean by budget!
May 17, 2013 at 6:37pm   
Danielle Lyn
Yeah I'm actual going to go to the showroom tom, they said on the phone a lot of people look at crown molding instead.
May 17, 2013 at 6:59pm   
Nancy Walton
Yes, but that won't reach to the ceiling--all it will do is finish the tops of your cabinets. You could lay some rope liights along the top of your cabs and uplight the ceiling. I did that in one of my houses and just drilled down through the hood cabinet to plug them in where the microwave plugged in. The lights stayed on all the time, but in the daylight they weren't noticable, and at night they made for great nitelights.
May 17, 2013 at 7:45pm   
Nancy Walton
They were low-wattage, so they didn't add that much to my electric bill.
May 17, 2013 at 7:46pm   
Danielle Lyn
I just want to do something to the kitchen that isn't going to cost much but make it just a little more me..... I know every person above said cabinets need fixed, that won't happen for a few years. I want to do a backsplash but then someone said not to until I fix the cabinets. I don't know if that will ever be in our budget, I want to make some improvement ya know!
May 18, 2013 at 5:35am   
Danielle Lyn
i started a new discussion.....this was suppose to be for the family room lol
May 18, 2013 at 5:49am     
Danielle Lyn
carolins- im halfway kind of debating painting the cabinets myself.......or buying new cabinet doors/drawers and then have someone paint the "boxes"
May 18, 2013 at 6:17am     
carolins
Yeah, I posted the photos above to show how glass door cabinets on top of existing ones would look. But I do like the look of the painted cabinets.
May 18, 2013 at 6:33am   
CDR Design
Okay, in summary, you are now going w covering existing couch in cream microfiber.

Questions:

-what is the style of existing sofa?
-what are you going with in addition? 2 chairs?

Sorry if you already stated this, just a little confused.
May 19, 2013 at 7:46am   
Danielle Lyn
Modern sofa straight line
May 19, 2013 at 7:54am   
bevballew
Wow! Long thread. I will read. You have great designers giving suggestions. I can't wait to read everything!
May 19, 2013 at 7:55am   
Danielle Lyn
Two chairs mirror stand between, seating/window bench, sofa table that I might paint white maybe( just to match the trim). I bought a larger mirror for that room but its a black frame
May 19, 2013 at 7:58am   
Danielle Lyn
I know it has been a huge blessing! I would have gotten no where without some opinions!
May 19, 2013 at 8:07am   
Danielle Lyn
Oh I was on there right at 11 this morning! I want to change my mind about the sofa do it in white and buy the white swoop arm chairs they have in the first category that comes up
May 19, 2013 at 8:14am   
Danielle Lyn
That would be the one:)
May 19, 2013 at 8:56am   
Danielle Lyn
What was whit3644? Was it a chair or sofa? It won't let me type the HTML
May 19, 2013 at 8:59am   
Danielle Lyn
https://www.jossandmain.com/Garden-Glam-Posie-Storage-Ottoman-II~FV28634~E3926.html I wish the room was all together because I think this could be fun in there! But I would rather see what it looks like with the furniture before I do accents
May 19, 2013 at 9:02am   
carolins
Oh wow, how cool hot pink can be :-)
May 19, 2013 at 9:29am   
Danielle Lyn
I think it could add a fun pop if color....
May 19, 2013 at 9:41am   
CDR Design
Here it is again.
https://www.jossandmain.com/Accent-Furniture-Favorites-Albany-Club-Chair-in-Gray~WHI3644~E4820.html

It is under "accent furniture favorites" and the name is "albany club chair in gray"

Here is the same chair on overstock. I think it comes in other shades. One is cream.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Albany-Dark-Gray-Linen-Modern-Lounge-Chair/7123124/product.html
May 19, 2013 at 12:26pm   
CDR Design
Whether you go with white, cream, gray, it will be a nice blank slate with which you can have fun!
May 19, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Danielle Lyn
Yeah that is what I'm thinking I'm just going to think about what I want for awhile
May 19, 2013 at 12:39pm     
LB Interiors
Try to find the 'feeling' you want when you enter this room.
May 19, 2013 at 1:34pm   
Danielle Lyn
Yup that's what I'm gonna do... I have a lot of ideas here to reference
May 19, 2013 at 1:51pm     
CDR Design
I think LB Interiors has a good thought. You also mentioned that DH has expectations. I know you will consider those, whatever they are.

I have a concern that the arrangement around the fireplace was trending toward more formal and the window seat very casual.
May 19, 2013 at 4:21pm   
CDR Design
Another thought.....see below. I think this adds a lot of texture, chair looks very comfortable and says, "come in and sit down."
https://www.jossandmain.com/Nicole-Facciuto-Zander-Accent-Chair~UM12174~E4940.html
May 20, 2013 at 4:21am   
Danielle Lyn
We discussed that last night actually we may not do the window seat for that reason, it may just look out of place.
May 20, 2013 at 4:42am   
Danielle Lyn
Side note does anyone have any thoughts of doing window treatments like this? one long rod all the way to the ceiling down to the floor! With summer coming we need to get something up there it gets hot hot in there!
May 20, 2013 at 4:48am     
carolins
If it gets that hot, do you have outside screens? They are more effective for keeping the warmth out.
May 20, 2013 at 5:06am   
CDR Design
Yes, I would definitely do one rod. I think it would look nice to do 2 panels. My preference, however, would be to do 4 panels. That would look so much more dramatic and elegant.
May 20, 2013 at 5:13am     
Danielle Lyn
Got it four panels one rod lol.
I like this idea too where they had two layers of drapes a white light one and then darker one. I don't know exactly how they did that it doesn't look like to rods but what do you all think of something like that? I like the idea of the light one under the darker one
May 20, 2013 at 8:13am     
Danielle Lyn
Two rods ^
May 20, 2013 at 8:14am   
Nancy Walton
Yes, it is two rods, one for the sheers, and one for the overdrape.
May 20, 2013 at 8:21am   
Love the sofa. Perfect in a lighter gray.
May 20, 2013 at 8:24am   
Gray and yellow print chairs perfect.
May 20, 2013 at 8:29am   
Danielle Lyn
Ok ill get two rods
May 20, 2013 at 9:43am   
Danielle Lyn
Travisinteriors the Dh really likes those yellow and gray chairs!
May 20, 2013 at 10:01am   
CDR Design
Danielle, it looks to me as if in the photo you posted, they used one rod. The sheers and drapes are simply on one rod, one next to the other. It looks nice.

HOWEVER: It looks to me as if they are there to look good and not to be moved.

So, the question becomes, what application do you want to use to block out the sun? Sheers, drapes or other?

So, for example, you could use the above look and then add blinds, using the blinds only for light -blocking. Or, you could forget the blinds, use a stationary rod for the drapes and traverse rod for the sheers only.

So, this is what you need to think through.
May 20, 2013 at 11:24am   
Danielle Lyn
Yes we found something called a double rod bracket( mouth full) and we will put the sheers behind and the drapes in front once I find the ones I want.....
May 20, 2013 at 12:05pm     
LB Interiors
The sheers allow indirect filtered light and are great for some heat control. The overdrapes will block more of the light and heat when needed. I would suggest a double traverse rod for complete opening and closing flexibility.
May 20, 2013 at 12:23pm     
Danielle Lyn
This is what is meant by a traverse rod?http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BRYAYG
May 20, 2013 at 12:46pm   
LB Interiors
I don't think so ... I'll try to find a pic. It is two traverse rods on one unit.
May 20, 2013 at 1:01pm   
Danielle Lyn
Ok gotcha
May 20, 2013 at 1:47pm     
CDR Design
Yes, what LB is showing is what you need. So, if you get one double traverse rod, drapes will flank either side when open.

Make sure you buy a decorative traverse rod. The standard type are intended to have a valance on top, so are not decorative.

I assume you know this, but just making sure......
May 20, 2013 at 1:58pm   
LB Interiors
I agree with 'cdr' a decorative traverse rod is so much nicer to look at.
May 20, 2013 at 2:26pm   
Danielle Lyn
I do not know this lol.....I had to google it lol
May 20, 2013 at 3:02pm     
CDR Design
LB was just trying to show you the mechanism. You learn something new everyday, Danielle.

LB Interiors, do you know if the decorative traverse rods come in double?
May 20, 2013 at 3:17pm   
LB Interiors
I've seen them at specialty window hardware stores. They can be quite expensive. Most have a stationary under drape tho.
May 20, 2013 at 3:41pm   
May 20, 2013 at 3:56pm   
Danielle Lyn
Ok gotcha I will do some google shopping
May 20, 2013 at 4:01pm   
CDR Design
To makes things simpler, you can consider hanging drapes on a simple decorative rod and installing blinds (There are so many choices and you can buy cordless). You can get ones that are very low profile.

Here is just one idea

]
May 20, 2013 at 4:45pm   
Danielle Lyn
Ok well I make a trip out this weekend to explore
May 20, 2013 at 6:19pm   
CDR Design
Yes, I would explore both options. Most people today go with stationary panels (as in the photo you attached). The blinds can have a very small footprint and you can achieve the exact light-blocking capability that you want. Hard to tell from your photo, I believe you could do an inside mount.

Or......you can show off your blinds that add interest and texture.

Below are 2 photos of how you can achieve a much more dramatic look by panelizing between the windows (you would have 4 panels in total (plus sheers if you want that look).

[houzz=Western Springs Living Room]

[houzz=Millneck Showhouse]
May 21, 2013 at 3:17am   
Danielle Lyn
Thanks that's very helpful in our bedroom ( off topic) I'm for sure doing the built in blinds but I think I want sheers in the great room
May 21, 2013 at 5:26am   
need help on kitchen island
Looking for a good site to purchase a kitchen island...
Living Room Project
Here is my living room project that I have been working...
Your biggest layout pet peeve?
We've all got them. What's your biggest pet peeve...
Lighten up and Coordinate Open Floor Plan-Family Room, Kitchen, Dining
We purchased an area rug for our family room that ended...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...