What to do?
lindastahl
Here is a better pic. What do we do to make the house look better? We restrained the house and is now darker and ripped out all the shrubs. HELP
holmdel732
Hardi plank it, thick white moulding around widows and side, and stone coming up 3 ft. Go bright color on Hardi Plank..house is too dark.
May 12, 2013 at 7:11pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I'm confused: is this the current picture of the house or the "before"?
May 12, 2013 at 7:15pm   
lindastahl
It is the current pic. Just a better one however the shrubs will be gone on the right. Want an idea as to what to plant and what to do with the yard.
May 12, 2013 at 7:19pm   
qui8storm
The house is not too dark. I would get rid of the existing shrubs and put lots of color out there. I'm not sure about the area you live in but check your local nursery for plants that can last during the year. I would also change the exterior lights to stainless steel to make it pop.
May 12, 2013 at 7:51pm     
hparks74
Not sure why you feel the house is to dark? I think its awesome! Your house is contemporary and the color is great. I would maybe replace the garage door and paint the front door. Your house color looks like a brownish deep plum or arisen color... Is that correct? It very popular to go dark exterior right now. Add lots of color with plants. Maybe a lighter color around windows but I love the color!!!
May 12, 2013 at 7:57pm     
houssaon
I like the dark color of the house. I would have only low growing plants at the base of the house. I'd also remove the weeping tree; I think you need plantings that are more organic and at the same time move architectural: Sustainable Long Island Residence and Front Yard Retreat.
May 12, 2013 at 8:00pm     
What NOT to do is to start a new discussion on the same topic. It makes it too confusing. Half of us have already commented on your other discussion here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/475075/Help-
May 12, 2013 at 8:01pm   
You need some lighter green to give verticality to the planting scheme as well as breaking up the dark monolith.
I would suggest adding two large planters (or if you do plant them, non-clumping and rhizome barriered) bamboos. Their light green leaves draw attention to height and light. In front I would add an acer palmatum maple which has red leaves. Some rocks and then to the right lots of nandina domestica (these lose their leaves in the winter) - if you don't want that, then hosta in varying colours would also work.
May 12, 2013 at 8:02pm     
Posted on your other thread as well.
May 12, 2013 at 8:44pm     
Sharon
I think a range of silvery gray succulents. Big, layered down to smaller ones in front.
May 13, 2013 at 6:13am     
Jayme H.
Consider changing light above door to one similar to garage lights. Flank door with tall, colorful planters...bright teal or bluish green would stand out against the house well. I would add in colorful plants/perennials as seen in groveraxle's pic.
May 13, 2013 at 6:27am     
Lighting advice
Hi!! I just bought a small apartment with living and...
Silestone Lagoon or Caesarstone Frosty Carina?
I had been struggling b/t Silestone Lyra and Lagoon...
need nightables
I don't know what to use for night tables that would...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Can't decide on a backsplash with a busy granite
I have a busy granite ( Mokoro ) ( geriba ) Is a busy...