Decorating at higher level (due to 2 small Kids)
Melissa
My house is a bare canvas, There is an 18 month old and a 2 month old under the roof. Feels Like every unit and press is empty below two feet. How do I fill these spaces, without endangering my kids. Have used the bottom of most units for kids toys but feels so untidy. What paints are good for lower walls (afraid of crayon scuffs), And how to make a childs corner not look like a pile of junk.. Thanks
Ed
Hi Melissa, Congrats on your new space ! :) Photos could be very helpful, as the Houzz people here are very visual.
May 13, 2013 at 4:39am   
jilljill24
Do you mean in the kitchen specifically or in the whole house?

In the kitchen have a cupboard or two with safe things - plastic food boxes, utensils towels, aprons, plastic bowls, down low. Put catches on anywhere that has dangerous or breakable stuff. Teach them (show and repeat repeat repeat!) that some cupboards are allowed and some off limits. (Level of success in this may depend on the kid. My eldest has always listened, my youngest doesn't)

Elsewhere in the house, same principle. Put the stuff that is safe for them in the lower cabinets or in storage boxes - e.g. in my hall I store shoes, hats, gloves etc in soft ikea boxes or tub trugs under a table or bench. If they pull it all out, well, it is fun for them, doesn't take me an age to put back, and they feel they have had some lee-way.

However, I don't do this in every room, as I personally don't agree with putting everything that is not theirs, out of reach or above their eye level. If you don't do this, they will hopefully learn that not everything is there for them to play with and you have items that are yours. For example, I have my glasses and phone on my bedside table in the morning - if any small child reaches for them they are told "ahuh! MUMMY's...!!!" Usually stops them in their tracks at least for a second! Again, success depends on the child but if they are told often enough they will have learnt what is off limits by the time they are, maybe 4?

As for keeping the child corner tidy - use boxes, bins, shelves and put them behind the sofa when not in use./

Re paint scuffs - I dont' allow crayons and pencils anywhere but the kitchen, no hands on the walls, or things with wheels to be scuffed against the wall, BUT I accept it will happen and I'll repaint in a year or two when they are more in control of their bodies!
May 13, 2013 at 4:57am     
photos would be helpful.
May 13, 2013 at 4:57am   
jilljill24
i suppose what i'm saying is, the solution is more about behaviour (yours and theirs) than products and decoration. But you will get plenty of advice on these once you post some pics.
May 13, 2013 at 6:43am   
The best way to hide a child's corner, when not in use, is to have a big recipient (ie a trunk or ottoman) into which you can train them to put their things (eventually) at the end of the day.

As for other ideas, there all sorts of lovely unbreakable objects that serve double time as interesting toys (and also pretty artifacts) - woven African baskets, soft decorative balls, stylish boxes etc
May 13, 2013 at 6:57am   
Are cup handles out of date?
We have cream ("dove") distressed as well as cherry...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Kitchen tile backsplash
What is the best way to terminate the backsplash next...
Adding curb appeal to our ranch style home
We purchased this 50's ranch style home and completely...
what color rug
What color rug should i choose with grey walls white...