Need help with bedding and decorating my 1924 mahogany bed room set
ahelton142
I'm not sure what kind or color if bedding to use. This bedspread was my grandmothers. I want to keep it fairly simple not to take away from the bed.
ahelton142
Please help! Thanks
May 13, 2013 at 5:38am   
pearlmelba
Love your bedroom set
If anyone tells you to paint it shoot them !!!
I am shocked that I am saying this
As if in my house it does not move then I paint it
So my DH is always on the move
Yes think as you have rightly said keep it simple
Will follow to see what other suggest
May 13, 2013 at 5:53am     
mforr
A mix of victorian floral and cream or ivory solid color bedding would be lovely. Definitely need a larger, perhaps needlepoint, rug. Should be large enough to go under bed. If not keeping the pieced quilt, then a comforter in a floral duvet cover folded in thirds at the end of bed with matching shams. Bring the bedspread further down to end of bed and reduce or eliminate the large fold over at top of bed. I know the bedspread was designed to come up and cover pillows but that is a very dated look.
May 13, 2013 at 5:55am     
mforr
Any chance there was a small chest or bedside table that you're hiding in another room? Would look very nice with a Victorian painted lamp and a water carafe. Funny that's never my style but it seems to be calling out for some Victorian love.
May 13, 2013 at 5:57am     
mforr
Not sure if room is big enough for both of the dressers. If you gifted one to another room, you could center the bed a bit more or put trunk at end of bed.
May 13, 2013 at 5:59am     
mforr
Think bed and breakfast in a Victorian house, but without the over the top wallpaper, flounces and frills. So a pared down Victorian look.
May 13, 2013 at 6:01am     
I like the quilt you have folded at foot of bed and would pick 2 colors from it for 3 euro shams. Put two of one color against headboard and one of the other color in front of the two. It looks like you have a short chest that appears in the fourth photo. I would move the floor lamp to the far side of the bed and put the short chest next to the bed as a night stand.

The bedside rug doesn't seem to be helping and so I would just remove it. The pictures on the wall look good together and would look even better if you lowered them by about 16".

You're going to have a beautiful bedroom!
May 13, 2013 at 6:06am     
mforr
I like the quilt too, but I think it would be lovely on a quilt rack or folded on the trunk. The bed looks like it would benefit from a more formal pattern. Something softer and not so linear.
May 13, 2013 at 6:23am     
brody1313
Love the bedroom suit and the soft rounded lines......the bed needs softness...I would do all white very soft plushy bed linens w/pillows to make it more feminine looking...you could add a needlepoint pillow for accent......would not put anything at foot of bed that for me would take away from the lovely footboard....take away the rug (old fashioned)...use white curtain panels, no valance......one of the mirrors need to go, only one mirror per room........ find a bedside nightstand.......take out the trunk love the lovely quilt.......if you want to display it, I would consider repainting the room in a soft blue to blend w/the quilt......good luck
May 13, 2013 at 6:48am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I would take a look at Pottery Barn's bedding. They have some gorgeous quilts that could hold onto that old world vibe, while still updating the look a little. You can look at something with color, or you could keep it simple and go with all white bedding. It would certainly keep the focus on your gorgeous bed set. Then add a little color to the room when choosing curtains, lamps, art.

"Keesee & Associates is a Custom Home Design firm in the Orlando Metro."
May 13, 2013 at 7:06am     
mforr
Keep in mind the homeowner wants to work with existing bedspread
May 13, 2013 at 7:15am     
pearlmelba
Hi you are getting some good ideas
But yes keep the bedspread
Not only because it is in keeping with the look you are going
For
but more important then that it was your
Grandmothers

But if you chose to change the bedspread on the bed
Then yes I say display your grandmothers bedspread
On a rack or as you already have it at the end of the bed
May 13, 2013 at 8:43am   
mforr
I was assuming the bedspread was the ivory or cream colored spread with fringe that covers bed. I didn't think the patchwork quilt was big enough to be the bedspread the homeowner was talking about. I could be wrong, maybe the homeowner could chime in and let us know.
May 13, 2013 at 8:51am   
pearlmelba
Please do let us know if only to put myself and mforr on the right track
Regarding the bedspread
But yes it looks as if the. Quilt / bedspread
Will not fit the whole bed
This is the one I was assuming was the posters grandmothers
Oh dear so confused need a lie down
May 13, 2013 at 9:28am     
mforr
Don't be sad, have a rest, we'll finally figure it out (I hope!!)
May 13, 2013 at 9:46am     
restoredtreasurestoo
I am attaching these photos of vintage style bedrooms. I love your bedroom furniture, it is beautiful, and should be used for sure. These photos show ways to decorate with you're grandmother's bedding. Adding Euro pillows covered in vintage fabrics ( sure you could find some on Etsy) vintage oil paintings add to your vintage look ( flea markets). A side table would be nice with a vintage lamp. I am not a licensed designer, but I am a lover of antique, vintage and refinished/repurposed furniture & decor......thus my name.........restoredtreasure:) which is what you have here
May 13, 2013 at 10:14am     
ahelton142
Lol my grandmothers bedspread is the white with fringe lol mystery solved lol
May 13, 2013 at 12:05pm     
mforr
Hooray!!! What's my prize? Do you pick my suggestions? Only kidding. Lovely furniture and lovely bedspread, go and do them justice.
May 13, 2013 at 12:10pm     
ahelton142
I haven't had time to sit and read suggestions yet lol but ill let you know !
May 13, 2013 at 12:14pm     
pearlmelba
mforr Hooray here also
I will sleep well tonight lol
The white bedspread is also nice
And yes you should keep that one as well as the patchwork one
And mforr your prize will be a fortnight in sunny cornwall
On a bed with no springs
May 13, 2013 at 12:22pm     
acharney
I love the quilt and furniture! My comments relate only to the set up of the furniture in this space. I can't tell from the images, but can you move your bed away from the corner a little more? Also, not sure you need the chest and like others suggested, you should consider an end table. If you are keeping the floor lamp, perhaps you want to move it to another location in the room or on the other side of the bed? Finally, as someone else already suggested, it may be a good idea to use the second dresser in another room.
May 13, 2013 at 12:30pm     
ahelton142
Restoredtreasure that is my exact bed in the middle pic . And I love the third pic . Was exactly what I was looking for. And for the others about the chest it is too big I was just hoping to find a spot for it. Maybe I still will. Gonna try suggestions from several . Thanks
May 13, 2013 at 1:13pm     
mforr
Pearlmelba, I've always wanted to go to Mousehole just because of the name. Are you in Cornwall?
May 13, 2013 at 1:27pm   
ahelton142
Ok now I've done a few things that were suggested. I have 3 quilts . Which one should I use. And I also have this pic where should I use it? Or should I ?
May 13, 2013 at 1:28pm     
soberg
You don't have to go vintage/Victorian/country unless you want to. This bed would also look great with modern patterns playing up its Art Deco simplicity. In fact, to me this bed is almost slumming when wearing a patchwork quilt. The person who originally bought this bed back in 1924 was probably doing their darnedest to get AWAY from the "old homestead" look and make the room fresh and modern with the styles of the 20s. My 2c!
May 13, 2013 at 1:34pm     
ahelton142
What would you suggest ? I'm open for suggestions !
May 13, 2013 at 1:36pm   
mforr
Either the quilt in the middle or the one at the end of bed. What does the window wall look like? Can't really figure where the picture should go until I see the other walls more completely. Like the table next to bed, though its too short and are you using that lamp or is it just there for lighting up your selection of quilts? It's very small for that area. Something bigger would work much better there. The lamp size would be fine on a dresser I think.
May 13, 2013 at 1:40pm     
The quilt on the left has a much more modern vibe than the other two. So if you want to take the room more contemporary, you could use that one, selecting shams in lavender, green and black. Then I'd paint a broad stripe of lavender or another color around the room, similar to what you see below.

Otherwise, I like the first quilt you showed us for a more traditional look of grandmother's bedroom.

Whichever one you select, your bedside lamp will need to be much bigger, about 27 to 30" high and placed nearer the bed on the trunk. In either scenario, the picture will be a nice addition to the room.

May 13, 2013 at 1:47pm     
ahelton142
Y'all lol yes I'm from Tennessee please keep in mind we just moved here and I'm trying to just play with things I have already since we are having to redo so many things right now . Don't want anyone to think I have no style at all lol
May 13, 2013 at 2:15pm     
mforr
We're all here to help, it's fun.
May 13, 2013 at 2:28pm     
bumblebee728
It's so nice to see a post where no one is pushing modern, modern, modern! Love your Grandmother's bedroom set. Lucky you!
May 13, 2013 at 4:12pm     
@bumblebee: Well I did offer a modern interpretation to go with one of the quilts, so it's not as if no one has mentioned modern. But I think it's totally up to ahelton to decide which way to go. I'd be just as happy with a traditional grandmother's space in which to relax in the atmosphere of another era, or to seek to update a lovely set of furniture for a life in the future.
May 13, 2013 at 5:17pm     
apple_pie_order
If this is a hobnail bedspread, it would have been a luxury item in 1924. I suggest that you could add a big puffy down comforter under the bedspread, then a couple of standard size bedpillows to make it more comfortable for guests. Originally it may have had a featherbed on top of the mattress during winters; you can still buy them. Quilts would have been kept nearby or layered on the bed with wool blankets under the bedspread. The spread would have been removed at night to a nearby stand or chair.

Here's a modern version of a hobnail spread: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Landing_Pages/Warm-Weather_Bedding/Hobnail_Cotton_Bedspread/50613
May 13, 2013 at 5:18pm     
restoredtreasurestoo
I totally agree with soberg! Just because you have vintage furniture doesn't mean you have to decorate in that style. Here are a few examples where vintage is mixed with modern. You can use your quilts and pick some colors from it for some great throw pillows & shams. I read that you are keeping costs down for this room, all you really need to achieve these looks are some colorful Euro pillow covers, a few throws and new lamp (to scale:)
May 13, 2013 at 5:24pm     
pas5
If that's a Bates bedspread, no way you want to get rid of it. I don't believe they are made anymore. I inherited my Mom's in the Abigail Adams pattern. I don't do the fold it over to cover pillows thing, but just use pillows to decorate the head of the bed, as in pics just previous by restoredtreasure. Beautiful mahogany bed!
May 13, 2013 at 5:45pm     
Another kind of lighting that could be provided instead of the lamp on the trunk is a wall mounted swing arm lamp which would give the reader the ability to adjust the lighting quite nicely.

May 13, 2013 at 5:50pm     
May 13, 2013 at 5:57pm     
ahelton142
Does the bedside table need to be same color as the bed? I have several little tables but they are darker.
May 13, 2013 at 7:01pm   
I think the trunk is interesting because it's different from the other pieces. You have enough dark wood pieces in the room.
May 13, 2013 at 7:05pm     
mforr
I think you should try them. There's no need for the colors to match, just that they look good together. Nothing wrong with a little furniture moving.
May 13, 2013 at 7:05pm     
bumblebee728
Carolyn, you're right, you did mention 'modern', but you didn't push it. You offered suggestions for different ways it would work, and as always, I love when your name pops up and I know I'm going to be reading some good advice. I actually like some modern style mixed in with antique or vintage furniture. It very often needs that to keep it 'fresh' and 'clean'. But, I have such a great love for beautiful antiques, and old world style, I sometimes get weary when the modern gets pushed so hard, the suggestion seems to be that totally modern is the only way to go.
May 13, 2013 at 11:22pm     
aimran
have you considered a diff furniture arrangement with bed against the wall between the two doors? or even against the dressing table wall?
and keeping dressing table against the current headboard wall?
May 14, 2013 at 12:14am   
pearlmelba
I like the trunk also
Have a smaller one beside my bed used as a bedside table
And is storage for winter things
Who says it has to be a table beside your bed
I love old junk DHs words not mine
To give something old a new home to be loved once more
I am watching with great interest
To see what happens in your little vintage heaven (bedroom)
May 14, 2013 at 1:25am     
pearlmelba
Just to backtrack and sorry to do so
mforr .... Yes I know Mousehole
Happy to say yes I am in Cornwall
May 14, 2013 at 1:49am     
mforr
Pearlmelba, beautiful place!! Lucky you!!
May 14, 2013 at 2:54am   
@bumblebee, thanks for the very kind words. I'm glad you're buzzing around on houzz with your wise advice.
May 14, 2013 at 6:08am     
restoredtreasurestoo
@Carolyn, I agree with bumblebee, I am always looking for your posts:) I love all of your suggestions:)
May 14, 2013 at 6:18am     
@restoredtreasure, many thanks, RT, you've made a lovely day here in Austin even brighter!
May 14, 2013 at 6:25am     
handymam
ahelton, that bedroom set is gorgeous!!

restoredtreasure, your pics are great and are inspiring me to do something like this in my own bedroom! Thanks for posting!
May 14, 2013 at 6:32am     
bumblebee728
Carolyn, you're welcome. And you had me laughing first thing this morning about me 'buzzing' around on Houzz!
May 14, 2013 at 7:26am     
Prince Todd
Carolyn, I too get excited when your advice pops up, and now I will get excited when I see @restoredtreasure.
Breath of fresh air!
May 14, 2013 at 8:33am     
ahelton142
I bought the bedroom set at an estate auction back last fall. The bedspread is my grandmothers . I was sick after I bought the set but now I'm glad I did lol I told my husband I had to have it and 1300 later I did lol not a scratch on it anywhere.
May 14, 2013 at 9:55am     
handymam
Worth every penny!
May 14, 2013 at 9:56am   
ahelton142
That's good to know . I've tried to find out what's it worth but have had no luck !
May 14, 2013 at 9:59am   
studio10001
I'm late to the party, and will just throw in mention of matelasse as a heavier weight coverlet option for colder months. Beautiful bed!
May 14, 2013 at 10:16am     
ahelton142
Thanks! Makes me feel better to know others think its beautiful also .
May 14, 2013 at 10:26am     
@Laurie, it's wonderful to make new friends on houzz! Thanks for your kind words!
May 14, 2013 at 3:12pm     
Nancy Walton
@ahelton--well you know it's worth $1300, 'cause that's what you paid for it! LOL. All kidding aside, it's a beautiful set, and in beautiful condition. I go with the advice in a down comforter underneath the bedspread--it will give the spread some oomph and new life. As for the quilt, I would pick the star patterned one in the middle--more in keeping with the period (1920s). Pick a color out of the quilt for for frou-frou ruffled shams, and some other colors for toss pillows, as in some of the photos offered. Lace-edged white sheets, or a pretty pastel, or both to change them up...
May 14, 2013 at 3:26pm     
restoredtreasurestoo
@handymam, I'm so glad to help! Makes me feel good when I can help someone:) @Laurie, your comment just made my day! I haven't been posting on Houzz for very long so for you to say that makes me happy!
May 14, 2013 at 4:10pm     
ahelton142
Ok thus what I come up with so far lol still have to get some deco pillows for bed and need to hang a few things but this is all I have to work with so far but just moving a few things around made a big difference.
May 15, 2013 at 5:20am     
ahelton142
Gonna try to leave the lamp it was my other grandmothers. I lived it so much as a child .
May 15, 2013 at 5:21am     
I prefer the quilt folded at the foot of the bed.
May 15, 2013 at 5:59am     
mforr
I agree, the quilt should be folded at end of bed. I love the lamp, but feel it would look better up on one of the dressers. It's great in room, just too short for the space next to bed.
May 15, 2013 at 6:05am     
pearlmelba
Carolyn .... Yes also think the same about the quilt folded at the bottom of the bed
But shoot me down if i am wrong
Maybe no right or wrong way just personal taste
Hope you do not mind me asking
But do you think that the quilt at the bottom of the bed
should hang the same length at the ends
as the Bedspread on the bed?
I do this with mine in my own Bedroom
just a thought
BTW room is looking good
May 15, 2013 at 6:23am     
ahelton142
I did the quilt that way just to give a little color until I can get some pillows then ill fold it back .
May 15, 2013 at 7:01am     
@ahelton, you're forgiven on account of your excellent excuse, and I've cancelled my call to the design police.
@pearmelba, I like the quilt or whatever one places at the foot of the bed, to come down over the edge anywhere from a few inches to maybe a foot. However, I have to admit that in my own master bedroom we have bed draperies on a canopy bed and the comforter that is folded at the foot of the bed is only the width of the mattress. Otherwise it would push the bed draperies out which would look funny. And I certainly think that it should be left up to one's personal taste. It would be a boring world if we all did the same thing!
May 15, 2013 at 7:10am     
pearlmelba
@Carolyn....How true that is
All things in my house look funny. They fit in well lol Due to my Eclectic taste
so if everyone did the same as.
well what a wacky world it would be
life itself is not meant to be boring
@Carolyn...I love the sound of your master bedroom
May 15, 2013 at 7:22am     
apple_pie_order
In some houses, the folded quilt is carefully placed to encourage the cat to sleep in some places on the bed, and discourage the cat from sleeping in other places. These design considerations are rarely discussed on houzz....
May 15, 2013 at 7:29am   
mforr
If there was a kitty, I'd quietly close the door and tell kitty to stay away from grandmas heirloom bedspread and find a sunny spot on the floor to curl up on.
May 15, 2013 at 7:31am     
ahelton142
No cats here !!!!!!!
May 15, 2013 at 7:47am     
mforr
Whew!!! Safe bedspread!!
May 15, 2013 at 7:48am     
pearlmelba
@apple... Maybe the cat is not classed as a design feature lol
Hence not having been mentioned
I have two mini schnauzers
NEVER allowed on the bed
sofa yes when my DH is not around
May 15, 2013 at 7:53am     
Our cats had their own oval basket with a cushion that matched our bedding. They curled up together there each night in our bedroom. On cold mornings, my husband (formerly a lifelong cat hater) would turn on the gas fed fireplace so that they could enjoy the warmth for awhile.
May 15, 2013 at 8:33am     
pearlmelba
@Carolyn..I Do hope that he was trying to keep them warm ie GAS LOL
only kidding before i have the Animal welfare on my back
Love the little matching bed for your cats
I best not tell my Schnauzers they may get ideas
As they are not even allowed in the bedroom
May 15, 2013 at 8:45am     
Prince Todd
Obviously my cat sleeps wherever he likes :)
May 15, 2013 at 9:10am     
pearlmelba
Bless
as a kid we had a ginger cat just like yours
we found him up a tree No one claimed him
And yes we called him Ginger !!!!
I as a kid wondered why cats had whiskers
Ginger had such long ones
that was until my brother cut them
yes they grew back
I got my own back on him
But thats a long story
Miss not having a cat
May 15, 2013 at 9:27am     
revss
PLEASE....Don't ever paint the furniture!!! Don't forget a reading lamp! Love the colors in the room pic from restoredtreasures: the rose and white with a splash of blues...Is this the marital bed? single? guest? It's use will be a factor to consider...
May 15, 2013 at 9:57am   
ahelton142
Guest room
May 15, 2013 at 10:00am   
pearlmelba
OK if its the Guest room
Then I am coming to stay in your vintage room
I do not snore
I do not get up in the night
Tea and toast will do me fine
May 15, 2013 at 11:05am     
studio10001
Another thread gone to the cats.... :)
May 15, 2013 at 11:18am     
pearlmelba
BTW .... The room is looking good
But think i have already said that
get back on track lol
May 15, 2013 at 11:33am   
ahelton142
Thanks pearlmelba. Lol you should know my husband has a rule lol anyone who stays over 2 nights has to pay rent lol
May 15, 2013 at 1:51pm   
restoredtreasurestoo
If you have another quilt or bedspread you could fold it in thirds and put that at the end of your bed with the shorter quilt on top of that one. I love layering several spreads on a bed of varying sizes
May 15, 2013 at 7:36pm     
restoredtreasurestoo
Examples to show some layered looks
May 15, 2013 at 7:54pm     
restoredtreasurestoo
If your quilts have a common color use variations of that color to use as pillow covers
May 15, 2013 at 7:56pm     
suzie123
The bed is so beautiful and should be the star of the show. I would try to make the room feel a bit more crisp while still maintaining the old world feeling. I think this will help retain all of the charm of the old pieces without the room feeling dated. (but is probably not true victorian so if that is what you are looking for disregard the remainder of this post.)

With that goal in mind, and assuming you are keeping the beige carpet, I would paint the walls crisp but warm white. The beautiful wood of your bed will stand out against the white. I would add full white pillows and crisp white sheets for the same reason. It will help the bed stand out.

I would also recommend folding your grandmother's quilt down a bit instead of tucking it under the pillows. Then fold the colorful quilt at the bottom of the bed. Not tucking the quilt under the pillows makes it a bit less old fashioned and helps modernize the beautiful vintage pieces you have without going "modern." i personally would not match decorative pillows to the quilt. It seems to matchy and dated and the charm of old pieces is when the blend together not match. If you want to balance out the color a bit I would instead add a stack of colorful bound books on the trunk/sidetable and in one other place-a bowl on on a chest possibly.

I would also consider sheer drapes rather than lace curtains. Probably white also. It will feel so relaxing.
I agree with others that if all possible remove one dresser.

Good luck and have fun!
May 15, 2013 at 8:31pm   
restoredtreasurestoo
With three quilts with as many colors as they have, using one common color in several variations would hardly look matchy, matchy. I would call that cohesive decorating, and if you would use bold patterns it will be anything but matchy looking. In all my years of helping people with home decor the one thing that they can't comprehend is decor that does not match. It's always got to match, it has been drilled into their heads. Lol! So, I always find a way to appease them by finding a common thread with all their other decor, because there always has to be a common thread! I found a couple of pictures with cohesive decor.
May 15, 2013 at 9:08pm   
aimran
second the layered look suggested above..
May 15, 2013 at 9:35pm   
NEED HELP DECORATING MY BED ROOM
I just put in brown marble tiles on my bed room floor....
need help in decorating my small 11/11 sq.feet bed room
I am 20 years old man.and want to decorate my bed room...
need help with decorating my bed room
Ok so im 13 and i have a light purple and whit bedroom...
Help!!!Bedding and decorating ideas for my Peroba Wood Bedroom Set
I have this beautiful Peroba Wood Bedroom set from...
HELP!!! I HAVE A MAHOGANY BEDROOM SET THAT NEEDS UPDATING
I HAVE THE 4-POSTER BED, DOUBLE DRESSER, ARMOIR &...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
QUARTZ COUNTER TOPS
I have found a Viatera quartz countertop that I really...
Need suggestions for updating china closet
Just painted dining room SW sand fossil, replaced light...
Need help choosing exterior paint color
Looking for suggestions on a paint color. We want...
Need help with my ugly house!
We need help with our ugly house! We are planning new...