Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahelton142

Need help with bedding and decorating my 1924 mahogany bed room set

ahelton142
10 years ago
I'm not sure what kind or color if bedding to use. This bedspread was my grandmothers. I want to keep it fairly simple not to take away from the bed.

Comments (96)

• Rhonda
    10 years ago
    @Carolyn, I agree with bumblebee, I am always looking for your posts:) I love all of your suggestions:)
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    @restoredtreasure, many thanks, RT, you've made a lovely day here in Austin even brighter!
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    ahelton, that bedroom set is gorgeous!!

restoredtreasure, your pics are great and are inspiring me to do something like this in my own bedroom! Thanks for posting!
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Carolyn, you're welcome. And you had me laughing first thing this morning about me 'buzzing' around on Houzz!
  • Prince Todd
    10 years ago
    Carolyn, I too get excited when your advice pops up, and now I will get excited when I see @restoredtreasure.
    Breath of fresh air!
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bought the bedroom set at an estate auction back last fall. The bedspread is my grandmothers . I was sick after I bought the set but now I'm glad I did lol I told my husband I had to have it and 1300 later I did lol not a scratch on it anywhere.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Worth every penny!
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's good to know . I've tried to find out what's it worth but have had no luck !
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I'm late to the party, and will just throw in mention of matelasse as a heavier weight coverlet option for colder months. Beautiful bed!
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Makes me feel better to know others think its beautiful also .
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @Laurie, it's wonderful to make new friends on houzz! Thanks for your kind words!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    @ahelton--well you know it's worth $1300, 'cause that's what you paid for it! LOL. All kidding aside, it's a beautiful set, and in beautiful condition. I go with the advice in a down comforter underneath the bedspread--it will give the spread some oomph and new life. As for the quilt, I would pick the star patterned one in the middle--more in keeping with the period (1920s). Pick a color out of the quilt for for frou-frou ruffled shams, and some other colors for toss pillows, as in some of the photos offered. Lace-edged white sheets, or a pretty pastel, or both to change them up...
  • Rhonda
    10 years ago
    @handymam, I'm so glad to help! Makes me feel good when I can help someone:) @Laurie, your comment just made my day! I haven't been posting on Houzz for very long so for you to say that makes me happy!
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok thus what I come up with so far lol still have to get some deco pillows for bed and need to hang a few things but this is all I have to work with so far but just moving a few things around made a big difference.
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gonna try to leave the lamp it was my other grandmothers. I lived it so much as a child .
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I prefer the quilt folded at the foot of the bed.
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Carolyn .... Yes also think the same about the quilt folded at the bottom of the bed
    But shoot me down if i am wrong
    Maybe no right or wrong way just personal taste
    Hope you do not mind me asking
    But do you think that the quilt at the bottom of the bed
    should hang the same length at the ends
    as the Bedspread on the bed?
    I do this with mine in my own Bedroom
    just a thought
    BTW room is looking good
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I did the quilt that way just to give a little color until I can get some pillows then ill fold it back .
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @ahelton, you're forgiven on account of your excellent excuse, and I've cancelled my call to the design police.
    @pearmelba, I like the quilt or whatever one places at the foot of the bed, to come down over the edge anywhere from a few inches to maybe a foot. However, I have to admit that in my own master bedroom we have bed draperies on a canopy bed and the comforter that is folded at the foot of the bed is only the width of the mattress. Otherwise it would push the bed draperies out which would look funny. And I certainly think that it should be left up to one's personal taste. It would be a boring world if we all did the same thing!
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    @Carolyn....How true that is
    All things in my house look funny. They fit in well lol Due to my Eclectic taste
    so if everyone did the same as.
    well what a wacky world it would be
    life itself is not meant to be boring
    @Carolyn...I love the sound of your master bedroom
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    In some houses, the folded quilt is carefully placed to encourage the cat to sleep in some places on the bed, and discourage the cat from sleeping in other places. These design considerations are rarely discussed on houzz....
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    If there was a kitty, I'd quietly close the door and tell kitty to stay away from grandmas heirloom bedspread and find a sunny spot on the floor to curl up on.
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No cats here !!!!!!!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Whew!!! Safe bedspread!!
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    @apple... Maybe the cat is not classed as a design feature lol
    Hence not having been mentioned
    I have two mini schnauzers
    NEVER allowed on the bed
    sofa yes when my DH is not around
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Our cats had their own oval basket with a cushion that matched our bedding. They curled up together there each night in our bedroom. On cold mornings, my husband (formerly a lifelong cat hater) would turn on the gas fed fireplace so that they could enjoy the warmth for awhile.
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    @Carolyn..I Do hope that he was trying to keep them warm ie GAS LOL
    only kidding before i have the Animal welfare on my back
    Love the little matching bed for your cats
    I best not tell my Schnauzers they may get ideas
    As they are not even allowed in the bedroom
  • Prince Todd
    10 years ago
    Obviously my cat sleeps wherever he likes :)
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    Bless
    as a kid we had a ginger cat just like yours
    we found him up a tree No one claimed him
    And yes we called him Ginger !!!!
    I as a kid wondered why cats had whiskers
    Ginger had such long ones
    that was until my brother cut them
    yes they grew back
    I got my own back on him
    But thats a long story
    Miss not having a cat
  • revss
    10 years ago
    PLEASE....Don't ever paint the furniture!!! Don't forget a reading lamp! Love the colors in the room pic from restoredtreasures: the rose and white with a splash of blues...Is this the marital bed? single? guest? It's use will be a factor to consider...
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Guest room
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    OK if its the Guest room
    Then I am coming to stay in your vintage room
    I do not snore
    I do not get up in the night
    Tea and toast will do me fine
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Another thread gone to the cats.... :)
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    BTW .... The room is looking good
    But think i have already said that
    get back on track lol
  • ahelton142
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks pearlmelba. Lol you should know my husband has a rule lol anyone who stays over 2 nights has to pay rent lol
  • Rhonda
    10 years ago
    If you have another quilt or bedspread you could fold it in thirds and put that at the end of your bed with the shorter quilt on top of that one. I love layering several spreads on a bed of varying sizes
  • Rhonda
    10 years ago
    Examples to show some layered looks
  • Rhonda
    10 years ago
    If your quilts have a common color use variations of that color to use as pillow covers
  • suzie123
    10 years ago
    The bed is so beautiful and should be the star of the show. I would try to make the room feel a bit more crisp while still maintaining the old world feeling. I think this will help retain all of the charm of the old pieces without the room feeling dated. (but is probably not true victorian so if that is what you are looking for disregard the remainder of this post.)

With that goal in mind, and assuming you are keeping the beige carpet, I would paint the walls crisp but warm white. The beautiful wood of your bed will stand out against the white. I would add full white pillows and crisp white sheets for the same reason. It will help the bed stand out.

I would also recommend folding your grandmother's quilt down a bit instead of tucking it under the pillows. Then fold the colorful quilt at the bottom of the bed. Not tucking the quilt under the pillows makes it a bit less old fashioned and helps modernize the beautiful vintage pieces you have without going "modern." i personally would not match decorative pillows to the quilt. It seems to matchy and dated and the charm of old pieces is when the blend together not match. If you want to balance out the color a bit I would instead add a stack of colorful bound books on the trunk/sidetable and in one other place-a bowl on on a chest possibly.

I would also consider sheer drapes rather than lace curtains. Probably white also. It will feel so relaxing.
    I agree with others that if all possible remove one dresser.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Rhonda
    10 years ago
    With three quilts with as many colors as they have, using one common color in several variations would hardly look matchy, matchy. I would call that cohesive decorating, and if you would use bold patterns it will be anything but matchy looking. In all my years of helping people with home decor the one thing that they can't comprehend is decor that does not match. It's always got to match, it has been drilled into their heads. Lol! So, I always find a way to appease them by finding a common thread with all their other decor, because there always has to be a common thread! I found a couple of pictures with cohesive decor.
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    second the layered look suggested above..
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I like the medium blue and the aqua in the quilt, and I believe either of these two colors would be good choices for sheets and pillow cases to give a punch of color to the room and especially to contrast from the white bedspread. You might find a small paisley or ditsy floral print in these colors to make extra pillow cases, shams, and throw pillow covers. A matching bath robe and gown/pajama set from the same print fabric could be a nice treat for yourself and would become part of the décor when placed on wall hooks or a coat stand, provided you can add either of these to the room. The red in the quilt could be accentuated by adding a red floral arrangement to the room and perhaps a few other red accessories. You also might put white crown molding around the room and put an additional narrow strip of white horizontal trim about six inches below the crown molding. Then use aqua paint on this intervening six-inches of wall space to tie in with the aqua in the quilt and give a punch of color to the walls. Some white dresser scarves, maybe in eyelet or lace, would look nice and would protect your lovely set of furniture. I certainly would not paint the furniture, either, as it is beautiful in its original state. The beautiful quilt is a wonderful inspiration piece for this room.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

Upon looking at your photos again, could you possibly add a corner shelf between the window and the dresser and put the little rocking horse on this shelf? The rocking horse looks a bit lost on the floor, and the shelf would make it more noticeable. Perhaps you could have three shelves in this corner, with the rocking horse on the middle shelf and some books on the other two. In the previous post I had recommended aqua as the wall accent color under the crown molding. However, the medium blue or rose found in the quilt would look nice as an accent color in this space.

• rachuba
    8 years ago
    I'd keep the sheets and pillow cases white, with a lace or eyelet trim, add a couple of faded floral pillows, a couple of solid bolsters in a color from the quilt. Fold top sheet over the spread so the trim shows, bed pillows in back, then florals, then bolster(s). Quilt folded at the bottom. A sweet romantic bed frame, I'd keep it simple, with romantic touches, to keep the bed highlighted.
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    8 years ago

I have a blog post that may help you out.

http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/04/28/the-secret-to-creating-a-killer-master-bedroom/

If you have specific questions feel free to contact me timothyriversinteriors@gmail.com

Happy Designing!

Look into a company called Eastern Accents..

• Tammy Lawhorn
    8 years ago
    I'm late to this discussion but Ahelton have you tried putting the bed on the wall next to the window that runs parallel with the bed now? Just curious. I love your furniture and love your grandmothers spread! I would keep the bedding all white. I think a fluffy duvet with ruffles would be pretty at the foot of the bed with pillow shams and sheets that match. Put your grandmothers lamp on top of the high dresser. It looks too small on the chest. Also not really crazy about the round picture. I think you need to stick with floral feminine pictures for this room in soft Aqua and pinks. You have some beautiful treasures & I know your grandmother is proud you have them!
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    8 years ago
    It looks like to me if the bed was changed your could center the two dressers more where they are.
  • jenna2005
    8 years ago
    Well, if u want to get fancy, paint the backboard black, and the sheets white , with a fuzzy black blanket at the end, the lamp should be white at the bottom, then black at the top. The dresser should be white with the handles to pull should be black.
  • jenna2005
    8 years ago
    Walls should be white redo the carpet black!!
Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs