Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evelynhort

I need help with my concrete pool. I'm try to update it!

evelynhort
10 years ago
I need design help. I'm having my pool re-painted, changing tiles around pool and repainting my deck. Does any one have any suggestions? We are located in Ny and the style of my house is an old tutor. What color should I paint the inside of my pool, white, Spanish blue, blue ice,blue mist? I also need adivise in picking out patio tones and tiles. I really appreciate your advice and want to than you in advance.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    The colour you paint your pool affects how it looks once the water is in it. What are you looking for.
    A deep blue will make the water look darker and deeper
    A light blue will make it look clearer and more sparkly
    Current trend is for grey pools which add an Indian Ocean green effect
    Black is dramatic as it gives a very deep green effect
    I have seen pools done in green and in red (wow)
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    Since your pool is a classic shape, I'd paint it a classic white. IMO, the darker colors lend themselves more to free-form natural pools.

A bluestone or limestone coping would look very nice. For tiles, a current trend is to use rectangular glass tiles in a brick (running bond) pattern. Muted tile colors are popular, but can look kind of blah. Blues are timeless.
  • evelynhort
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all your suggestions! I'm going with your advice painting the pool white. classic and timeless. I'm heading to the tile shop. I will keep you posted and post pictures of tiles for your advice. Thanks again.
  • evelynhort
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Regarding tiles, what size should I be looking for? Is glass tiles ok for the cold weather?
  • jasonharper
    10 years ago
    I'm about to embark on a similar project, I look forward to seeing how yours turns out. How much are you doing yourself? I have estimates on the tile and coping replacement, and it's not cheap ($8k) for just the basic looking materials on both. Good luck!
  • clancie
    10 years ago
    The red pool - yikes, looks like a shark got in and made short work of all the swimmers! Why?!
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure about glass tiles in colder climates.

I recently redid my pool and went with standard 6" square tiles in a dark blue ceramic, but subtly textured. It's an old-school classic look - with less grout lines.

6"x6" square tiles are usually as big as you go for the waterline. Any combination of smaller tiles to make a 6" band will work.
  • evelynhort
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just came back from tile shop. What do you think about these.
  • evelynhort
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More tiles
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    I like the bottom 2 better than the top two.
  • Margaret Phillips
    10 years ago
    The darker the tile,will also soak up more heat in the pool. Nice for those who like the water to be a little warmer.
  • jasonharper
    10 years ago
    bottom 2, and the one on the left best. I think the lighter color and glass look great. the detail / color shading looks quite nice on both the bottom 2.
  • curacaoblue
    10 years ago
    Its your opinion that mattes. Id Go with lighter. I like it because it looks cleaner and more inviting. I don't care for dark.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    With the surrounding woods, I'd want it to be more naturalized, so I'd go dark.
  • evelynhort
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are the ones I'm thinking?
  • evelynhort
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jasonharper, this project is costing me almost the shames as yours.
  • jasonharper
    10 years ago
    Good to know. Thank you.
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022