OLLD 5/13
May 13, 2013 in Other
Good morning! Nobody opened for today? Or is there a duplicate I"ve missed?
astraea
I'll post here, so it will be "official" :))
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:56AM
Morning Astraea!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 5:57AM
astraea
Hi .. guess I can't call you "spider lady"!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:02AM
Uh.....no thank you! hehehe What's happening on the right coast today? We're supposed to have cooler weather, maybe just 90 - 95F today. Ha! Cooler is a relative term, I guess.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 6:06AM
astraea
I think it's warming up here .. time to go for a walk soon!

Have subject for discussion, after weeks of reading thru "Design Dilemmas": If people have minimal experience doing with home projects, and NO experience with larger home projects, or doing any part of the work themselves, and they post a question about starting a large project on their own .. that pretty much indicates that they have a) no idea where to start, and b) no idea what they want .. would you strongly recommend that they start with professional help at least to get started?
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:17AM
Jayme H.
Good morning ladies! Supposed to be in the 80's today, but currently is windy, overcast and cool...Have to go to work around 2pm today at hospital & I hope it's not wild!

@astraea...some of so vague. When I see someone who really seems very green, I often recommend a pro.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:33AM
Astraea, after another weekend of DIY, I recommend everyone get all the professional help they can afford! There are times lately that I wish I could get a pro in here. And I think the older your home is the more work it needs and experienced pros can certainly do it faster and better than I can.

One of our bigger projects ahead is replacing all the interior doors and casing and moldings. I'm not looking forward to the work, but I'm looking forward to how good it will look when we're done, hopefully anyway.
5 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:33AM
Morning, Jayme!

Angela, good luck today. I hope you'll post on here when you get home.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:34AM
Does anybody feel brave enough to jump in here? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/475671/How-to-make-a-real-sand-floor-
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 6:39AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Good morning ladies........going to be beautiful here today and by mid week close the 90's mark.........spring has flown the coop.

Astraea, I'm surprised at the number of posters where it is quite apparent that they have no or very limited experience and are considering jumping in over their heads. I think a lot has to do with the proliferation of DIY and HGTV shows that depict a bathroom being remodeled over the weekend or full room renovations being completed in a couple of days........come on folks, it's TV, it's not reality. It's edited and staged. What they aren't showing is all the prep work. The measurements, the sketches, the planning, the hard drawings. They're not showing the takeoffs that have been done by a team of planners or the scheduling. They aren't showing the team of support people out their cutting lumber, organizing the work area with tools and materials, cutting tile and everything else that goes into the actual job............all the stuff that aren't the pretty scenes you see on the show. My favorite is the Yard Crashers..........like you pick out just anybody from the store, and in 2 days, do what they do without a lot of pre-planning up front........can someone say permits? I don't know of any permitting office where you can walk in with your plans and get permits the same day.

Always, when I respond to a posting of this nature, my first response is going to be get professional help. These are some very expensive endeavors.........I wonder how many of these same people would think twice about slapping down $10-$15K at the craps table and rolling the dice? Because that is exactly what they are doing and just like the casinos, the odds are in the favor of the contractors..............if you don't have hands on experience, if you've never done something like this in your life..........your very first step should be to meet with a professional designer or in the case of construction, a trust worthy contractor or at the least a friend who is experienced.
6 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:41AM
Jayme H.
Good Morning STK!
Has anyone heard from David? worried :(
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:43AM
Morning STK! And what you're saying is so true. I always kid my hubby - why is it they can remodel a room in 30 minutes on TV but it takes us months? And Norm Abrams too, he can build a beautiful piece of furniture in less than a half hour, why can't we? hehehe I spent the weekend tiling my vanity top. It's pretty big, true, but I was exhausted when I was done. Probably just from the stress of trying it make it perfect.

My father was a self-taught master at everything he attempted. A perfectionist, like me. The big difference is that his work was perfect; mine isn't. And he never owned a power tool, not even a gas or electric lawn mower. It will make you crazy, I promise.

David! You must check in with us and tell us how you're doing! We're worried, you know?
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:50AM
Jayme H.
@bobbi...I am chuckling...about the cat in the sand comment!! Too funny!! Imagining a bunch of scenarios...
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:51AM
Thank you Jayme! It's true, isn't it?
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:52AM
I have to get busy now. Ugh, my bathroom is a mess of spilled mastic and grout! It will take me a week of Sundays to get it all clean again. Check in with ya later!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 6:54AM
olldroo
Morning all, yeah, bobbi, I jumped - after my non-slip tiles you would be mad to try something like that, if it is even possible.

Reasonably productive day today, checked out a fabric shop I recently found but they didn't have that big a range and the prices were ridiculous - no way would I pay $70 - $80 a metre for curtain fabric. As I was in and out in 20 mins I did a second run I wanted to do and along the way checked out a nursery that has opened a gift shop. Had some gorgeous things, surprisingly without expensive price tags - usually these places charge like a wounded bull. Moved on down the road further and got hooks and tape for more curtains, checked out a few places for indoor pots for my new plants (unsuccessfully) and bought myself a new wool underlay for my bed. Paid way too much for it, but hopefully it is a good one and will be worth it. Can't rely on price tags as any indication these days. Hope to start getting my bedroom all set up now. Did so much walking, I was exhausted when I got home after nearly 4 hours.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:56AM
olldroo
Kutchie, I think you are so right when you talk about the TV DIY shows. We have one here where a woman does all sorts of things and waves electrical tooks around like toys. She renovated an entire bathroom in one weekend around the time I had my builder start on our bathrooms and I jokingly said to him about it. He got quite mad, he said she is making life hell for builders as people can't understand why it takes him 2 weeks to renovate properly - waterproofing alone takes 2 days to properly dry and that is provided the weather is good. He generally tries to do it on a Thursday and Friday so it then has the weekend to dry.

We have a new show about to start tomorrow night where couples hand their home over to another couple to totally renovate the house in ONE WEEK!!! That is the craziest yet. Dying to see how they handle it.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:04AM
Jayme H.
@Bobbi..How about just forego the bathroom and just have a giant litterbox?
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:08AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Bobbi... the sad thing is that most of this stuff is not all that difficult if folks will just think it through and use some common sense and take their time. Measure twice, cut once. I think one of the most common traits to "master craftsman" is patience. I know a number of guys and one gal, whom I would consider "master craftsman" in their trade. All are carpenters and when they are on the job site, everything is planned out and thought through. Power and air tools are abundant. They are organized and knock stuff out, but never rush. The odd thing about it though, 3 of them have some amazing wood shops that they work in making fine furniture after hours and everything they do is by hand.........no power tools. One of them made a replica Queen Ann three legged table to match an original one of a pair that had been passed down 4 generations. One of them had been destroyed by a pair of rough housing grandsons............the story goes that it was a reenactment of a WWWA match (World Wide Wrestling Alliance - aka pro wrestling). It took a couple of months, but when he was done, you couldn't pick out the replace from the original when they were side by side. Totally constructed by hand, not a single power tool or saw was used.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:08AM
olldroo
Jayme, sand at the beach is bad enough, imaging fighting it everytime you stepped out of the shower!! Yuk!!!
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:11AM
kimdee24
Good morning everyone! @roo -- wow, that's a lot of shopping. My knees can't take that much shopping! @everyone -- agreed, it's astounding what some people think they can tackle on their own with no experience. And.. SAND? as a bathroom floor? omg...

I hope Mr. Ironwood checks in. I've been worried as well. Continued good thoughts for him.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:13AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Jayme, I actually think the sand thing could be pulled off in an interesting finish with a little bit of thought. Not that it would be like beach sand........that would end up being a litter box for cats if you had them and would get tracked through the rest of the house. But I could see a wet area bathroom where the proper sub water proofing measure were done and the finish coat a mixture of resin and beach sand and formed in some very interesting patterns........especially if one really studied the beach sand in eddies and such..........I think it would actually be quite cool in the right bathroom.............
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:13AM
Jayme H.
@roo...Yes...!! I can't keep our floors clean for more than a day or two...kids, people, pets, cooking....add in some sand and we would be in great shape!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:13AM
Jayme H.
I am all for natural looking materials...maybe a sand center with a sheet of something clear over the top...seal in the sand...Just giggling over the cat reference! My ridiculous sense of humour took over with imagining all sorts of chaotic scenarios!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:15AM
olldroo
kd - my knees suffer too and my feet. I keep telling myself I need to do it more often to get into better shape. How do you go with golf??

Honestly, if that sand resulted in a rough finish on the floor it would be absolute hell to clean. This is what I had so much trouble with with my non slip tiles, they actually seemed to attract fluff and dust which clung to it, even vacuuming was difficult and if I used the squeegee sponge to mop the floor I ended up with bits of chewed up sponge everywhere and and had to wait till it dried and vacuum that all up.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:21AM
kimdee24
@roo -- I don't walk the course anymore. I used to walk and carry but our course is pretty hilly and long, and it's just too hard. I take a power cart now.

Also I think shopping is different, maybe it's all the hard tile and concrete floors that my knees don't appreciate.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:22AM
olldroo
That is cheating!!!!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:23AM
kimdee24
Only if you're on the tour! (PGA). The rest of us hackers are allowed to ride!
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:27AM
olldroo
I wear sneakers all the time, all my feet will tolerate now anyway, but I get ones with good cushioning to try to offset the tile and concrete floors.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:31AM
kimdee24
I had my double knee surgery at the beginning of november (2010). About a month and a half later I decided I needed to get my Christmas shopping done, what a mistake. I think I was in the mall for a half hour before I could barely get back to my car. I did all my shopping for everyone that year in one store! Everyone got books because that's as far as I made it.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:35AM
olldroo
I find carrying shopping doesn't help either - it all adds to the weight on the knees. I don't want to have surgery but I guess it will come at some time. I find also if I wear my MBTs shopping they help a lot but I can't drive in them which is a nuisance and if I don't wear them often enough, I have hell trying to walk the next day, even my backside is painful.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:39AM
kimdee24
Ugh. I thought my artwork would be delivered today, but it's looking like it won't show up until tomorrow. Boo!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:41AM
olldroo
Rats!!! Well I'm off to bed good people. Do hope we hear from Dave soon. Chat tomorrow.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:46AM
Kimdee, nothing like expecting something to be delivered on a certain day to find out it won't. So sorry for you! Tomorrow my robot vacuum is supposed to be here. If it's not, there will be hell to pay :((
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:47AM
Night Roo!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 7:47AM
Just checked, and my robovac is in Central California! It darn well better make it up the state for tomorrow!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:50AM
Jayme H.
sleep well Roo!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:51AM
Jayme H.
Don't ever get between a woman and her vacuum!!
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:51AM
So true!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 7:52AM
kimdee24
Nite Ms Roo, sweet dreams!

bobbi -- I know! I hate waiting for stuff especially when you're so excited to receive it. Seems like I'm always waiting for something! They were shipped from Montreal and they are sitting in a sea-can in the Intermodal yard just waiting to be unpacked and delivered. I just want to run over there and get them, but I've no way to bring them home. Erf. My patio furniture is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday also.

Hope your robot shows up on schedule -- which one did you order?
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 7:53AM
I hope both things get delivered to you this week! Which one? Beats me. I only remember it was $101.01 !!! I'll let you know when it gets here. I think it will have to charge for probably 24 hours before I can use it, no? It doesn't matter, it takes me longer than 24 hours to charge, that's for sure.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:56AM
Jayme H.
I need one of those, but an industrial model in our madhouse.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:58AM
kimdee24
That would be torture for me, waiting for the thing to charge so I can try it out!

Well, since I don't have to hang around here today and wait, I guess I'll stop by the tailor with my stack of alterations for my golf clothes. I was trying to find something to wear yesterday and ended up with a pile of (new) shirts on the floor that are all suddenly too big and need to be altered so I don't look like I'm wearing a flour sack. :-/
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:01AM
Did you all hear about the little six year old girl that was killed, somewhere in NorCal? It was a quiet little community, one of those where no one locks their doors that suddenly had to live in fear. Her 12 year old brother saw a man leaving their house after he discovered his sister dead. Well, turns out the 12 year old brother did it. You have to wonder if he plays video games? I don't think they understand dead is forever, not just til you reset the game.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:30AM
Jayme H.
@Bobbi...I have read a few things on that awful-ness! Children's brains are not developed well enough to handle all that violence...I don't allow my 7 y/o to play violent video games..didn't allow my 22 y/o either (but his father let him play Grand Theft Auto, etc...booo!).. Their little neuro pathways are learning violence is o.k....
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:44AM
mpoulsom
mornin everyone! hope everyone had a nice weekend!

my mom had the best mother's day EVER i think! talk about shocked and elated! :)
Mal pulled it off without a hitch...my stepdad called mal as soon as my mother passed out in the recliner and was snoring away saturday. She snuck over with furniture, rug & pillows..and plant...in her cat burglar outfit, crawling on her hands and knees trying not to set off the motion detector light on the porch...and BAM! Did it all before 11:30pm saturday night. Then my son n law went to my mom's that morning to pick up Mal's mother's day gifts (where he was hiding them), and my mother held the door open for him, because his hands were full and she let out a curse word! hahaha!
5 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:45AM
mpoulsom
just saw that on the news this morning bobbi.... :(

I had to do a paper on video games and kids in my psychology class a couple of years ago and it was very interesting.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:48AM
EZ, I sent him an email but haven't heard anything back. I think it's so great that you will call him. Please don't forget to tell us!!!

MP, how cool is that! I hope someone took pics of Mal! So I guess Mom was pretty happy?
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:49AM
mpoulsom
She was in shock...and I have to say I was even impressed when I went over there yesterday. It was pretty swanky looking out there on the porch! Everything matched perfectly! And just plain nice. Mal sent me a pic after she set everything up that night, but it did not do it justice. Very Martha Stewart!
And no one took a pic of Mal, because Beau was the only one around and he had to hang at the crib with Boo Mappin. My daughter lives 3 houses away from my mom...
Mal came to my house after I got off work saturday night and picked up the rug, plant & pillows....and we also dug up a bunch of hostas and cannas for her yard because I have plenty to share. She didn't bring my Boo with her then, but I got to spend quality time with her yesterday at my mom's. We raced and played games and decided to take a walk down to the marina to see the lake...well tag(her dog), followed us and I didn't know it. There is a restaurant on the water that was packed...they do a feast every year for mother's day. So lots of traffic coming and going. Tag is across the street from us. Cars are slowing down and he's being a complete nut and taking his time crossing back and forth while me and Boo are screaming for him. He totally ignored us! Then me and Boo holding hands chasing him (running)....the restaurant door is propped open and of course Taggles walks right in. Boo is laughing, customers waiting to be seated in the foyer are laughing, I snapped him up and had to carry him back up the street. he weighs 50 pounds at least! Oh lordy....By the time I got home I was exhausted! Oh yea...before I went to mom's I took the 8x10 shag rug outside to the deck to wash it...so it could dry outside over the next couple of days. I thought I was going to pass out from doing that! Holy Mama! Never again! Then after I came home, J and I swept and mopped all the hardwood floors, washed all the scatter and runner rugs around the house. I'm telling you, I was pooped!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 9:09AM
astraea
Once my Mom died, I realized that I’m limited in DIY by how much I can physically do on my own. When I moved here, I moved about 40 heavy cartons of books myself .. then wasn’t able to move for a week. There are also some things that may not be heavy, but are too cumbersome for one person to move around the house, without banging into things.

Bobbi – I looked at that “sand floor” & also thought of the epoxy .. but those treatments are expensive! I got an estimate for doing my garage floor .. and I think it was something like $4K .. not including getting someone to move everything out of the garage & back, while the floor was being done!!

STK – So true about how “real” those DIY reality shows are! I’ve also watched real pros doing jobs, and compare it with DIYers doing it by the book, and there’s little comparison; a pro just develops a gut feel for their job, and doesn’t have to waste as much time measuring, thinking, calculating, and doing .. like tiling.

Everyone – I don’t get the reality TV “beat the clock” mindset, or when they put some totally artificial $ limit on what can be spent! I’m fine with taking an extra day, or adding a few $, if that makes the job much better. Why does everything have to be a “contest”?!

This gorgeous weather is cutting into my productive time :)) It was a little nippy at the beach today .. 56 & windy. Good thing I had a windbreaker, fleece headband & gloves, until I warmed up walking!

Roo – I love Merrell shoes & sandals, with their cushioning! Was looking at sandals the other day, and they’re like walking on cardboard .. do they not realize people’s feet need some cushioning on the bottom?!
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 9:11AM
What fun chasing tag! Not! It sounds like you worked hard enough to be pooped :)) Well, your Mom's a lucky lady, that's for sure. And I know she appreciates it and loves you guys so much.

I had a great Mother's Day, my son called! First time in years, I think. It was nice.
8 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 9:13AM
mpoulsom
aaww bob, I'm so happy for you! :)

astraea....LET this gorgeous weather cut into your "productive" time, lady!! Wish I could walk to the beach today! How wonderful!!!!!

The weather here has been very bay area lately. Boo & I were walking hand in hand from her house to mom's (lots of back and forth trips yesterday to get her baby's bottle, a sticker, etc..lol) and I said, "Gosh, it's a beautiful day for a walk isn't it? The weather is perfect and feels like california ,(not bobbi's CA....teehee)...and she said, "yea it does GG, but we're in south carolina." __________________ touche
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 9:23AM
Smart little girl!!!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 9:26AM
Robin W
Good morning or afternoon, depending on where you are. So glad to hear all had a great weekend and/or Mother's day! I worked yesterday then had a slo-pitch game that went rather late (we lost... boo) so didn't have a chance to post much yesterday.

I have so much to do to get ready for the party on Friday but absolutely no drive to work on any of it. Also have to go to a meeting in 3 hours which completely breaks up the day.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 9:47AM
My grandfather had a sand floor in his bathroom…his out-house. Born in 1885, here on the Cape which was very, very rural, that is all he had, that and a pump on the kitchen sink.

4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 10:28AM
armygirl1987
Hey all surgery was a success just waiting for pickup. Hope everyone is having a productive days. Thanks bobbi
7 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 11:07AM
astraea
Glad to hear that your procedure is over with Angela!!
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 11:09AM
armygirl1987
Thanks Astraea gonna rest up today
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 11:17AM
mpoulsom

I want this dog!! lol! I think Dali could do these things! :)
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 11:31AM
Robin W
Hope you're feeling better Angela! Rest up!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 11:57AM
Judy, I don't think that's the same thing !!! But good suggestion.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:08PM
Angela, I'm happy for you !!! Whew !!! Glad that's done, aren't ya?
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:08PM
mpoulsom
me too bob...just got the comment from angela from 5/11
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:12PM
kimdee24
Get some rest Angela. Glad to hear it went well.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:13PM
michigammemom
Done Aunt EZ! I am so pleased to know that you are in contact with Ironwood Dave.
5 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:45PM
mpoulsom
thanks ez!
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:50PM
kimdee24
Thanks eztia -- for keeping us posted. I know he's got a lot of people sending all kinds of good thoughts his way and I hope he's getting lots of rest.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:59PM
Thanks, EZ.

David! For heaven's sake! FEEL BETTER! Good thoughts and karma coming your way......NOW!!!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:09PM
kimdee24
So ladies -- what do you think of this piece of artwork? Yeah. It's $1000. LOL
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:16PM
Oh yeah sure! And there's a bridge in Arizona I could sell you!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:18PM
kimdee24
Isn't that crazy!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 2:23PM
That's totally nuts. I could do THAT for heaven's sake!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 2:25PM
Robin W
A thousand dollars?

I'm in the wrong business.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:25PM
Hell, we all are!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:26PM
mpoulsom
insane!!!!!!!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:26PM
nasmijati
Look closely at the lower right corner of the frame on the art kimdee found. Do you see the flaw? Not enough length on the right side, and they put in a tiny fix?
If I was going to pay $1,000 for anything, it had better not have a defect in workmanship!
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:32PM
kimdee24
ezita -- that's probably part of the 'artist's vision...." lol
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:35PM
kimdee24
But wait! It has a matching circle. Also a $1000.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:39PM
EZ, you're good!

Kimdee, of course you must have both! That furniture looks exactly like the stuff my father used to make for my mother. Not my style. And once he made a large table, in that style, and my mother decided to trace a pattern with one of those tracing wheels? Holy moley, it went right down into the wood.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 2:50PM
kimdee24
bobbi -- I think...I could find better ways to spend $2k! And yeah, that furniture has a retro feel to it. I'm pretty sure my parents had a table similar to that at one time.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:54PM
astraea
Kimdee - Remember PT Barnum, "there's a sucker born every minute!" Just because they put a $1,000 price tag on something, doesn't mean people have to buy it.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:56PM
kimdee24
astraea -- I'm sure someone will purchase these. It will not be me!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:58PM
Does anyone know how to make a super simple bench? Maybe with cement blocks for the legs? I want to make one to go under the birdhouse condos, and decoupage maps to the seat so the birds don't get lost. No one will be sitting on it because it's in the hot sun. It's just something to add to the condo complex. Maybe I could add some north/south/east/west signs for fun.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:58PM
S. Thomas Kutch
kimdee..........boy have I got a bargain for you honey. I'll do that same exact painting in any color your want for half the price. Heck, I'll even give you a buy one, get one for half price deal.........you can have 2 for just $750.
6 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:00PM
kimdee24
Bobbi - here are a couple of photos. I would just glue them with construction adhesive so they didn't tip. And I also found a link with other cool things to do with cinder block... one is a birdhouse!
http://www.handmadeology.com/rrthinking-concrete-5-cinder-block-diy-projects/
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:04PM
kimdee24
STK -- You could make a killing on Etsy or something!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 3:04PM
Yes! That's exactly what I'm thinking! I Googled this but didn't find that pic, good job and thanks!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:05PM
mpoulsom
I'll do it for even CHEAPER kimdee! hahaha!

If I had a cement block couch like that one...a black widow would be living inside it for sure and bite my leg!
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:27PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Oh, MP you really want to get into a pricing war.... it's on Miss Cherry Lips........MP's offer minus 20%......take that!

You could do that MP, just spray a shot of Raid in the holes each month.........no problem.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:45PM
nasmijati
Here are some brick and board bench ideas...
7 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:48PM
Robin W
I like those Eztia :)

I think I'm in over my head as per usual. I'm not so confident I can get everything done that needs to be done by Thurs night.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 3:50PM
Robin W
I'm hosting a birthday BBQ for myself and my work partner. Expecting at least 30 of my work peeps as very few have seen the improvements I've made to the house but I talk about it all the time.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 3:57PM
Robin W
Friday morning is dedicated to shopping and food prep. So obviously I have to clean the house top to bottom. I also have to do some painting, an entire days work in the bathroom, do some fixing of stairs and a bunch more. There's some stuff I've pulled off the list, but I'm still feeling overwhelmed by the stuff I have to do.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
Robin W
And thank you for the birthday wishes.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
EZ, I've always loved the compass rose. I think it would be beautiful set into hardwoods, like in a grand entryway.

Happy early birthday, Robin! Hire someone to help you! Have it catered! Get a housekeeper for a day as a gift to yourself!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
EZ, have you heard back from David?
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:05PM
Robin, I forget where you are, are you in NorCal? I'll come help you! Two cups of coffee and I can whiz thru your house in no time!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:06PM
Robin W
Sorry Bobbi. I'd love to meet you and have some help but I'm in Edmonton, AB, Canada. Little bit of a trip. :(

Thank you for the birthday wishes. My real birthday is Wednesday and I'm pretty sure I'll be around then.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 4:10PM
Bummer.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:11PM
Robin W
I have a dilemma... I've been ignoring it since I moved in, but being a perfectionist, I'm having a hard time with the thought of revealing my house at this point.

My living room is 'comfortable' (aka I can't afford to buy new furniture at the moment so I'm making do with what I have). I have a vaulted ceiling and have canvas prints I quite like on the tall wall but I have no idea what to put on the smaller wall. My TV and entertainment center is in the corner - but the wall is over 15' long but only 8' high. I don't even know where to put anything!!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:17PM
olldroo
Morning all. EZ thank you so much for contacting Dave, I just hope he is going to be ok. I hope he can get back to us after he sees his doctor, it is a very worrying time.

Angela, glad your procedure went well and hope you will enjoy the benefits. Rest now and let your body heal, anything with anaesthetic causes more trauma to the body than we often realise.

How crazy is that artwork. Love to hear Mendi's opinion on it. That sort of thing is what bugs me about the whole art world, it is such a snobby pretentious thing. I wonder who painted it that they can justify that price tag. Actually LAdd sent me a photo of some colouring in the Little Bloke did - 4 years old and it is almost perfect. She said it took him hours to do he was just being so careful, quite unusual in a boy that age.

OMG, it is 13 deg here right now and I am freezing. Very overcast and looks like it is about to rain. I wish it would the garden is getting too dry. Maybe I will turn the sprinkers on - usually rains once I water ......... or hang washing out.

Anyway, I have a date with my sewing machine today and perfect weather for it. Catch you all later.
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:24PM
Area rug! No, I'm just kidding. When you have the $$$ a lighter, patterned area rug would look good. All you really need is some art work above the two chairs. For the party, create a giant birthday card or two, and tack it to the wall, and have your guests sign in with a little note!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:25PM
kimdee24
Robin -- don't stress yourself out! People are coming to celebrate your birthday (and your co-worker's), they are not there to critique your interior design. They know it's a work in progress and I know they'll be impressed by what you've done so far. If we waited until everything was perfect (in our eyes), we'd never have anyone over!

At my housewarming, I had so many compliments and I hadn't hardly done a thing yet -- no paint, no drapes, no artwork, nothing... I keep thinking I should throw another party so everyone can see how it looks NOW!

So do what you think you have to do, and don't worry about the rest of it. Just have a good time!
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:33PM
After enough booze no one will notice anything, I promise.
5 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:41PM
olldroo
Robin, you sound like me at the moment (another perfectionist) and I am giving myself waaaaaaaaaay too many panic attacks trying to achieve the impossible. I know I just can't do all the cleaning out I want to do so I'm now just boxing it all away but keeping it accessible so in the months to come I can work through box at a time without impacting on the rest of the house. Firstly, take a step back from everything, go through your list and cross off everything that is not 150% necessary. Basically you want the the house to present well, so tidying and cleaning is first, but take as many short cuts as possible, I'm sure no one is going to check under the bed. What has to be done in the bathroom that will take a full day? Stop trying to impress and be human. If the stairs don't get fixed put a sign on them "Warning - work in progress". Add a few other funny signs around things you won't get done but I'm sure everyone will be having too much fun to really notice.

Your wall is begging for some height isn't it. Eight feet ceilings are the norm here so it is no big deal for us. Why not for now just put some artwork there or buy some cheap photo frames and do a collage of photos. Check out on Houzz there are some great layout ideas. I also found one time from here an online site selling artwork that comprised a collage of up to 8 pictures. I'm looking at that idea for my lounge room to spread a photo further acrosss the wall - my wall is 15 ft also. I will see if I can find the website again.

When it comes to food - do you have a Costco near you. My LAdd did Thanksgiving for the family last year and got everything in Costco, a lot of things came pre-prepared or on platters. It was voted the best Thanksgiving ever and she has been nominated official family Thanksgiving hostess.
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:44PM
olldroo
Found the website - http://www.outletsart.com

Tried to attach an example but it didn't work.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:50PM
Robin W
For food prep, I'm throwing together a few salads and maybe making some cookies or something. I told everyone to bring whatever they want to cook on the BBQ and a dessert so I'm just supplying some veggies and salads.

The current problem with the bathroom is its falling apart. I've barely touched it in the 1.5 years I've lived here. It has a very narrow walkway between the vanity and the wall - so narrow I'm a bit concerned we might land up having to do an extrication with some of my friends (EMS is not known for its athletically inclined folk). There's only 22" there... so I'm pulling the old one, throwing up some paint while its out then putting in a more narrow one. I'm banking on a day to do that.

I really like the idea of big birthday cards on the wall! I'll have to dig out the crayons!!
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:01PM
kimdee24
I just found CHOCOLATE in my mailbox! From two different sources! One, a gift from one of my clients as a thank you, the other a gift from my book keeper... what are the odds that a) i'd have not one but two nummie chocolate treats in my mailbox the same day and 2) that neither of them are melted messes?
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:12PM
Robin W
Hooray!!! I love awesome surprises like that!!!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 5:13PM
olldroo
Well done, Robin, that sounds like an Aussie BBQ - BYO everything so everyone gets to enjoy.

That bathroom job sounds way too much - what if you find something nasty when you pull the vanity out. Leave well alone - who knows you might even prompt some of your friends to become more active and that can only be a good thing. Be more positive, next time your friends come they will see the totally new bathroom so they get to see the full before and after. I went to a house showing once and the vanity in the bathroom was so big you had to step into the bath to get to the loo - I kid you not. For a $1m house it was ridiculous.

Some large sheets of art paper on the walls sounds like fun and the more alcohol is consumed the funnier it will get. You will be blackmailing people for evermore.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:15PM
Kimdee, that's so cool!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:15PM
Roo, I gave you my best advice and you yelled at me :((
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:16PM
olldroo
EZ - just spotted your beds - are they for real? Bags not doing the dusting. Reminds me of the $7,000+ baby cots Aja posted. Three bears are clever but the whole thing is way too pretentious for me.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:20PM
olldroo
I think Houzz is having a hiccup.

Which advice was that Bobbi - you are always telling me off.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:25PM
Well, I thought I was giving you caring supportive advice. So never mind, I won't give you any at all anymore.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 5:27PM
Robin W
I just got a Mother's Day card from my 12 year old.

"To Mom
Even though we fight I still love you with all my heart.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:30PM
Robin W
And Houzz cut out my emoticons. Bah.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:31PM
kimdee24
Awwwww!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:32PM
olldroo
Awwwww, don't be like that Bobbi, you do give good advice but I can't remember what I yelled at you about.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:39PM
olldroo
Robin, wait till your kids get older one of my dd's cards read "Mom, what can I say? You gave me life ................ so really you only have yourself to blame!
4 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:42PM
olldroo
Talking MD - Bobbi that is so good DS telephoned you. Some good has come out of the going to the wedding .......... hopefully.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 5:44PM
Robin W
Omg. I just choked on my dinner!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:44PM
olldroo
She has my warped sense of humour.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 5:46PM
Roo, you YELLED AT ME for giving you good advice :((
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:48PM
Robin, that's exactly why I never eat rice anymore! I always end up choking on it!!!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:48PM
olldroo
Bobbi - I don't know why, it takes a lot to make me yell and that is what worries me more.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:50PM
Don't worry about it, I'm over it :))
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:52PM
My robovac is now is Sacrademento! Only 90 minutes from me! Woo hoo!
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:46PM
kimdee24
Tomorrow, Bobbi! I hope my stuff comes too! *fingers crossed*

Eztia -- that is one pricy bed!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 7:00PM
Robin W
For $70000 I sure hope it makes itself!!!
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:06PM
olldroo
I would want it to sing me to sleep too.

Just heard from LAdd - they have had a fun afternoon, a bear came down from the mountains into their neighbourhood. DD had a helicopter circling her house, there were 3 others in the air searching too and police cars up and down her street. Miss 6 does early school classes and had just gotten home but was most disappointed as the school was in lock down till 4pm. The bear was finally caught and tranquillised in a backyard but not before it had frightened the three people swimming in the pool at the time. DD noted they managed to grab their drinks as they ran into the house - that is important!!!!
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:14PM
kimdee24
Have I ever mentioned how much I despise styrofoam? Why does everything come packed in it? I think it should be illegal. I had mountains of it from various things and I had to bust it all up and put it into garbage bags, and it's stuck all over my clothes and everything else. Awful stuff. But.... I finally got all the cardboard boxes and packaging gone from my garage and out for the recycle truck.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:43PM
olldroo
Join the club KD - I wonder if it ever breaks down. When my joeys were growing up they went through a phase where they put it in the oven and it went like playdough. I'm surprised my oven survived, they used to put chip and twisties packs in too and they shrivelled up to a fraction of their size.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 7:55PM
kimdee24
I don't think it does break down, ever. It's horrible. We have an excellent refuse facility here, they actually dump all the garbage collected on to a huge floor and sort out all the stuff. I don't know what they do with the styrofoam, I hope it doesn't go into the landfill.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:09PM
astraea
@Eztia - That must be "Goldilocks & the 3 Bears", because the bush nearby has been cut into 3 different size bears!! All of those beds are "too much" for me!!
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 4:12AM
DIAspoton
@kinmdee and olldroo, the only good repurposing of styrofoam i've found is to use it in the bottom of very large container gardens to save on the cost of potting soil and keep them from being to heavy. i also turn plastic pots upside down and then pour styro peanuts around them. this only works in biggies as the styro will clot over time.
2 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 4:32AM
Linda
Another interesting use of styrofoam is making lightweight concrete. When I was in college, one of the annual engineering contests was the concrete canoe races. One of the techniques used was to substitute styrofoam beads for gravel in the concrete
2 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:10AM
kimdee24
In concrete, really! That's neat. I have used some of the scraps, as DIAspoton mentioned, to pack the pots of my 'faux' cedar trees on my upper deck, trying to get them to stop leaning over in the wind.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:23AM
Have you seen the faux Styrofoam that dissolves in water? It's made from corn starch, and as long as it stays dry it's just as good.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:35AM
olldroo
Diaspoton, have used styrofoam this way too and I have often noticed when I buy plants the potting mix seems to have beads mixed in - maybe it helps keep the soil loose.

Linda - do you have Hebel blocks there? They are a lightweight aerated concrete block that works the same as a normal block without the weight.

Haven't seen the one that dissolves in water but I know it melts in the oven. Can't remember what the girls did with it now - only that they were under threat of extinction if they got any stuck in the oven.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:47AM
I don't know if it keeps the soil looser, or if it's a cheap filler they use to save money!
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:49AM
olldroo
Didn't realise the full effect of the bear story until I read my SIL's FB page today. Apparently after NewTown the school implemented a lockdown proceedure and put the kids through regular practices as well as organising a recorded phone message to go out to all parents. So they didn't frighten the little ones they told them it was in case a bear ever came down from the mountains and into the school. Although dd had just picked Miss 6 up from school, they still got the phone call. SIL was still shaking at the call "school here, the school is in lockdown". How sickening would that be!!!! DD sent me a video of 3 helicopters just hovering right above their house, which is very close to the school too and at that point they had no idea what was going on.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:57AM
olldroo
Good point Bobbi, but I do think it has merit.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:58AM
DIAspoton
@olldroo, the white beads in potting mix are a mineral called vermiculite. it helps keep the soil fluffy and happy. it's good mixed with peatmoss for soil less growing.
styrofoam does the opposite. it compacts but is lightweight and bulky and free if you're re-using packaging materials. it just helps to fill the lower portion of pots.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 8:19AM
astraea
Linda - that use of styrofoam for light weight concrete, sounds like it could only work for something that wasn't under compression or load-bearing, or it would collapse, I'd imagine.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 8:19AM
I'm chuckling to myself - if only I was in the US where Styrofoam gets delivered with EVERYTHING. I had to order 8 huge backs of Styrofoam peanuts (along with some gravel). I find they are super useful for drainage at the bottom of planting bamboo. I also had to be sure it wasn't one that dissolved in water (that would have ruined the purpose!)
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 8:55PM
kimdee24
AVS, had I known, I would have happily sent you five garbage bags full of it!
2 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 9:14PM
astraea
Antoinette - me too; here you have to recycle them, and because there are different types of peanuts now, the vendor who said they'd accept them, doesn't want to have to separate them!
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 4:01AM
OLLD 5-1-13
Good morning Chickadees!! What's on everyone's agendas...
OLLD 5-6-13
Rise & Shine & bring forth your wisdom!
OLLD 5-2-13
Good morning everyone Busy chats recently so I thought...
Multi functioning small room(13.5X11.5) ideas, please!
Hello. I converted our craft and sewing room to a game...
FOYER Chandelier or Lantern - Ideas?
Our foyer is open up to the 2nd floor and round like...
Help me find an Eames lounge style OFFICE chair
I have looked everywhere trying to find this Eames...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
raised paver patio delimma
we have just put in a paver patio. The perimeter was...