Need Help updating wood built-in shelving
ange2
Like the storage in the living space but this wood built-in needs updating...
Sharon
I feel the arches at the top are really dating the whole unit. Can you remove and put a more streamlined moulding in its place? I would paint the unit also.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:38AM
Barnhart Gallery
Is the light fixture staying? If so, I imagine that this will work nicely with some simple refinishing. Any other photo angles, colors, requirements?
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:39AM
Barnhart Gallery
Sharon, I thought so too until I noticed the Moroccan looking purple chandelier...wondering if that's the direction ange is headed towards or away from.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:40AM
ange2
Yes, I agree about the arches. Fairly solidly built but worth seeing if they can be removed/changed. We haven't done any work on this floor of the house since buying so totally open to change!
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:50AM
ange2
Unit is at end wall adjacent to yellow wall (likely stay a warm color) and wood wall (and patio door) on other.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:52AM
Wadlington Remodeling, LLC
The piece is really dark and heavy for a room that appears to be painted bright yellow. Also, I agree with Sharon about the arches. Maybe just removing them altogether would give the piece a cleaner look? I might also consider adding doors to the outer two sections for more covered storage.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:52AM
ange2
Thanks! I like the idea of adding a couple of doors. Debating painting the unit to brighten up - colour ideas?
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:05AM
Wadlington Remodeling, LLC
I think your paint color should compliment whatever color you ultimately choose for the currently yellow wall. It is hard to tell from the photos here, but what color is the wood wall surrounding the patio door? It looks like it might have a reddish tone?
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:16AM
If your house / room vibe is midcentury modern, then something as simple/as paint will do it - the bottom door geometry and hardware is fantastic. i wouldn't paint it white though, I'd head gray or black to work with your warm color. for instance, with the wood floor, and yellow walls, a mid-tone french gray (sw has a good one) would add a lot to the room. The question of the upper arches is a style piont. 90% it would be right to remove them, but if your vision will be repeating moroccan themes and motifs then it is worth it to keep them, but otherwise your best bet is to try to remove that trim element and replace it with something straight before you paint.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:17AM
Barnhart Gallery
Hmm -- before I saw your willingness to remove the arches, I was thinking they worked with the purple lights and a coat of white or your wall color yellow paint:
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:19AM
yfuoco
Great built in...I would square off the arches and remove the medallions on the door. I would paint the entire unit white.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:22AM
Wadlington Remodeling, LLC
I definitely agree with libradesigneye. I would not paint the unit white. The french gray or another warm toned neutral would be nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:25AM
BeyondFrames
I agree with libradesigneye : if your vision will be repeating moroccan themes and motifs then I wouldn't remove the arches. Painting the unit french gray would be my choice. You might also consider removing the backing of the unit an paint the wall behind .

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:46AM
This is pretty inspiring for ideas:

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:16AM
ange2
thanks for the ideas! the wood wall (around the patio door) is similar to behind the unit with yellowish tone. From what we can tell, the yellow on the walls is behr venetian plaster tuscan sun (vp44)
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:18AM
Modern Age Designs, LLC
I also vote for French Gray with the yellow walls. If you like a Morrocan look. you can have a nice wallpaper to be in the back of the unit add small lights ceiling of the unit which would highlight the pattern of the geometric Morrocan trellis in a shiny wallpaper. It will look fabulous. I would definitely take away the arches whether or not you stick to the Moroccan style and take away the hardware on the doors of the unit. Hope It helps
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:42AM
leelee
I love your Moroccan influences...If it would be possible to re-fashion the tops of the cabinets with a more extreme design by using a wood overlay? The bottom panels (doors?) would be far more updated looking if they were plain without the middle part. Could it be removed?
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:54AM
Sigrid
I like the arches. If you get rid of them and the square things in the doors, you'll have very run-of-the-mill shelves. You could paint the insides a different color.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:01AM
The detail on the large cabinet in this picture could be easily replicated for the tops of your cabinets using birch plywood for a smooth paintable surface. I think you should dive into the Morrocan vibe.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:07AM
Architectural Antiques just posted some beautiful tracery you might use.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:59AM
Help - Wall half brick fireplace, half wood built-in shelves to re-do
We are renovating our family room where we spend most...
lcannizz
Need help redesigning & choosing a color for the living room built-ins
Hi there. I’m having a dilemma with our great room...
li22ybeth
Family room with dated built ins
Looking for suggestions on what to do with these built...
sphillips01
Please Help Me Update My Built-In
We had this book shelf built about 15 years ago when...
moogers
Huge Built-Ins in Living Room: HELP!
My wife and I recently purchased our first house; witht...
Gene Strickland
Tell me the truth!
What does this room need? What looks bad? I'm so fed...
K 7803
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
Need ideas for hallway with wall to wall doors
The hallway is immediately left when you enter the...
nramsey1
Need help with my living room
I don`t know, but something is wrong with this living...
Tia Mia
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster