living room.

claudiakrywultMay 13, 2013
First of all, sorry for the mess behind and on the couch. I really need help with designing this place. I was thinking about painting it with some warm colours, beiges, browns.. with maybe something contrasting.. ?
But also.. I'd like to know some of the ideas with accesories.. vases, lamps.. anything ? I'd like this to be quite modern... thanks in advance.
0825sam
Since you have a pretty blank slate you may want to start by searching houzz for red couch and narrow by modern style for ideas
Beacon Hill Townhouse · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:07AM
felixgrantham
Your couch appears to have 2 pieces. If possible, separate them. #1 - buy a rug & a coffee table. Then choose colors to complement the rug. Get some throw pillows & side tables. One really cheap option is to get a table form from Hobby Lobby or Joann fabrics & then make or buy a cover. One easy option is to buy a drape & then get fabric you like to make a square topper. You can get iron-on tape for the hem if you don't sew. Check out some resale shops for lamps. Remember you can paint & switch out shades to completely revise the look. Target also has some pretty cute lamps. Buy some large art & a mirror. If you want to keep your zebra art, don't go with beige paint.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:17AM
0825sam
I find I am drawn to a lighter color on the walls with the red couch and then add warmth with textures - rug, pillows
Cb2 is a good place for modern furnishings and accessories

1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:20AM
0825sam
Repulsa Bay Garden - The Home Gallery · More Info
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:21AM
mpoulsom
Will you be putting a tv on the wall below the zebra art?
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:27AM
BeyondFrames
red also goes great with grey for a modern, clean feeling. if the room allows - it looks like it does, you could have an accent wall - charcoal grey, and use for the others warm light grey. Lamps could have brushed steel base, crystal clear base, or red base, arched lamp over the couch. Simple artwork, grey or white rug and other red accents . Red or silver side tables.

Sphere and Pedestal Brushed Steel Table Lamp · More Info

John Richard 33" Faceted Crystal Table Lamp · More Info

Contemporary Lite Source Netto Arch Polished Steel Floor Lamp · More Info

Abstract Painting, Grey Silver with Red Ceramic Beads, 3D Art 24" x 24" x 1.5" · More Info

Aspen Grey Rug · More Info

Bungalow 5 Taboret Side Table, Red · More Info

Faux Coral · More Info

Red Fretwork End Table · More Info

Ital Modern Julia Teardrop Side Table - Red · More Info

http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/talisasidetable.cfm?source=houzz
Silver Metal Accent Table · More Info

Worlds Away Davis Basket Weave Side Table in Silver Leaf · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:40AM
BeyondFrames
If your couch is not red but more of a brick red a great color combination is brick red, cream and olive green and warm neutrals on the walls
Possini Euro Faroe Olive Green Art Glass Table Lamp · More Info

Tortoise Silver Bottle Neck Glass Table Lamp by Arteriors Home · More Info

Dark Olive Green Linen Lumbar Pillow Cover 16 inch Faux Horn Button DREA DESIGN · More Info

Wuchow Three-Drawer File Console · More Info

Camouflage 2143-40 Paint · More Info

Acrylic Painting with red brick, cream and olive green 12" x 36" x 1.5" · More Info

DwellStudio Hourglass Cream Pillar Candleholder Set · More Info

Grass Beige Rug · More Info

Safi Light Beige Rug with Leaved Pattern · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:02AM
claudiakrywult
I actually wanted to get rid of the zebra painting..
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:55AM
claudiakrywult
..and thank all of You for the answers so far.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:56AM
mpoulsom
Grandview · More Info
]

How about doing an accent painted color in your little jut out wall...like the fireplace in this pic. You could paint it black or charcoal gray would be even nicer I think. A spotlight on that wall from the ceiling. Then a huge piece of colorful abstract art with a lot of bold colors in it to occupy most of this section. I also like the big fluffy white rug in this pic.

What is your budget?

and can you take another pic looking out from the jut out wall so that we can see the whole area?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:07PM
mpoulsom
There is a company called Muralsyourway......you may want to look through some of their options. You can order murals to fit your walls, in a lot of different sizes/styles.....or create your own. I think you should make that jut out wall something special, in any case. There are a lot of cool wallpapers out there these days as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:15PM
claudiakrywult
I am a painter, so I can make any piece of art by myself.. I designed my bedroom few months ago and it's great, but I have some serious problems with that living room.. I was considering the jut out wall to be accented any kind of way. I'd like there to be just some chest of drawers maybe and a coffe table, I don't really like a lot of furniture in my rooms.

...and there's an empty wall on the left, but there is door on it and there's a window wall in front of the jut out one.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:28PM
Elegant Indoors
Hello caddi94, we are an online retailer for ultra modern furniture. We are a certifted dealer/ retailer for Zuo Modern Furniture. Check out our website and see if any of this is of interest. www.ElegantIndoors.com
We are currently running a promotion for 15% OFF your Entire Order till the end of May! Use promo code: mom15off

Thanks,
Simon
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:38PM
mpoulsom
Well fantastic that you are an artist! Me too! You don't need our help...teehee. Get your art on!
Have you been to IKEA or anywhere like that? Loads of great stuff there, including rugs, curtain panels and furniture! I've actually made a lot of stuff.....like for end tables, I have natural tree stumps with glass on top of it. I have a crazy "jenga fireplace" that was done by me and my partner..that you could actually do on the jut out wall....kind of expensive to do a wall of pieced together wood, but there are other alternatives for sure. You can also make a lot of cool things out of concrete I've found. How original do you want to be?...or do you want to buy something I guess is my question.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:42PM
mpoulsom
Ideabook: basement pics · See Ideabook
w=300]

don't know if this link is going to show up , but look at what they did with this basement wall with the wood slats. Think it would look great in your room, warm it up, and not cost a bundle!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:52PM
claudiakrywult
Those wood slats look great. To be honest, the whole place in the picture is awesome. Now I am gonna have to consider wood too.. ; P thanks for Your time and help. ; )
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 2:05PM
mpoulsom
coffee tables? Have you checked out the site AllModern? You may find something cool there as well.
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 2:08PM
mpoulsom
more tables
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 2:24PM
Would love your color suggestions
We don't need to do anything right now, but I'm not...
parus55
White kitchen vs. antique white
This is the look that I am absolutely in love with...
4isablessing
Need help with my 1st floor rooms
My dining room, living room, sitting room, foyer and...
kreasor
Colors for Dining Room
We recently moved into a rented home and the owners...
vols2009
painting a fireplace
Hi - I have a brick fireplace with a wood mantel that...
rabby1