How do I decorate my Mantel?
Janelle H
I feel like my mantel decor needs work, but I don't really know what I'm doing or what I should put up there... Any suggestions?
You room has a beachy feel…I would stay in that theme by hanging a larger oil on canvas.
Breath I Giclee on Canvas
Beach Ocean Decor artwork
3 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 12:58PM
Renee
I agree with the canvas. I am not sure about the fireplace cover. It seems out of place. Do you use the fireplace? If not, removing the cover and putting in some logs or candles would be nice.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:02PM
Barnhart Gallery
An enlargement of your wedding photo, flanked by your two favorite wedding gifts (cursor over to see all):
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 1:03PM
Janelle H
the fireplace cover is mostly because the fireplace is hideous, and I don't like to look at the ugly gaping hole....It does have some candles behind it that I light occasionally...and no we live in phoenix so we never use it...
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:11PM
Genevieve
You could also replace the screen with something more modern ,I think that this one will cover it all
]
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:18PM
Janelle H
What if I just keep a big bouquet of flowers up there? (Or paper flowers?)
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:18PM
Genevieve
[houzz=Black Lab Andirons]

I would place this clock on the mantle

[houzz=Black Clock]
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:21PM
carolins
Please don't hang your wedding photo above the fireplace. I don't like looking at large, in your face wedding photos when I'm visiting people. Album or bedroom are appropriate places for those. But that's my personal opinion of course.

I like what judyg suggested, although it doesn't have to be sea or beach related art. If you love to look at it... that's the most important thing. And size. Size does matter in this case :-) What you have now is too small.
It needs to be about as wide as the actual hearth.

And you could put a couple of nice tealight holders there. Or whatever you find beautiful. Not too much. Just two or three items. For instance:
http://www.zgallerie.com/p-12269-fleur-tealight-aquamarine.aspx
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:32PM
This layered look could look quite nice on your FP mantel.

2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:40PM
leelee
You would never want to store wine near the fireplace. Changing temps will damage even the least expensive wine.

Yes, your firescreen, though very nice, is too ornate for your modern lighting.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:55PM
carolins
I really like the firescreen that Genevieve posted.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 1:59PM
Sundeleaf Painting
Can you show us a picture of the whole room too? Also, are you married to the wall color? If so, that is fine, but that will help folks point you in the right direction.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:00PM
Kate Oliver
I am an interior designer in Richmond, VA. Here are my suggestions:
--Use an odd number of objects, and display them asymmetrically to create interest. I have chosen a great print from Michelle Armas, a faux floral arragement for another pop of color, and an interesting oriental horse (you can find things like that at any Homegoods store). Here is the link for the Michelle Armas print: http://michellearmas.bigcartel.com/product/due
--Find a fireplace screen that has more interest and is less traditional, or common. I found this one at http://www.efurnituremart.com/cyan-design-gold-mesh-fireplace-screen.html
I've done a quick photoshop editing to show the finished project.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:13PM
the_misfit
I definitely agree about a bigger framed item. But if it were my room, I would address myself to the mantle more directly. The skinny one seems too insubstantial. I'd go fo ra nice thick beam - four to six inches thick. And I think I'd paint it, and the corbels, black. (The white vanishes agains the white-ish brick.) Then add a big painting or mirror, and some fresh flowers - and, yes, asymmetrically. Just my $.02!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:17PM
brody1313
I would do a painting that had your wall color, say maybe an aqua blue star fish on white, something graphic and young looking......
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:22PM
brachaf
Hi your color wall and brick are great! With no question I would for sure remove the fire place cover also even if the inside of the fire place is really bad you can completely fill it up with wood it actually looks really good that way!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:23PM
Janelle H
I'm so sad no one likes my pretty fire screen! I am kind of in love with it, but if it has to go I can part with it I suppose. And I'm in no hurry to repaint, since the blue makes me happy, plus painting is so much work.... As for the wine, we are in phoenix, so the fireplace is never ever used- So the wine isn't in any danger, unless the a/c goes out, in which case it will immediately consumed!!! Of course, if it just looks stupid there I don't mind moving it elsewhere... The photo below is the rest of the room, only usually there is a black and white striped rug, which is currently in the washer. Tthe other photo is from a while ago, but it shows the room with the rug, and a different mantel setup, but the tables are red now, not orange, and the palm tree is gone because my kitten kept eating it...
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:43PM
carolins
By all means keep the pretty fire screen. If you love it, you should keep it! Same goes for the blue walls.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:49PM
Janelle H
Oh...and it shows how the mantel used to be wooden...But yes, I think thicker would look better, thank you the_misfit for suggesting it!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 2:49PM
brachaf
The screen is so pretty! But just doesn't really fit with the room! But yes,if you love it keep it!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:10PM
Barnhart Gallery
Janelle -- Is the fire screen stained glass? If so, do you have it backlit?
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:14PM
househaunted
I like your screen, it gives the room a little boho flair imo. How about making a little mini wine cellar out of the fireplace box? You could clean it, and line it with wood, something like this:

Might be worth a try. I see wine bottles on your hearth.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:17PM
Janelle H
The fire screen is a stained glass style, but just clear glass. There are candles behind it that I light sometimes, which is very pretty...
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 3:23PM
leelee
Janelle, I do actually like the firescreen but I thought it was at odds with the modern lighting. To show it off maybe replace the ceiling light and it will blend fine with the floor lamp. Looks like you have an eclectic look so some mixing is desirable. If you just got a simple track light in black that would be a much better trade than replacing the firescreen that you love.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 3:36PM
How do I under light a vase on my fireplace mantel?
Just received a gorgeous hand blown glass vase as a...
Shauna Cowley Filtz
How do I decorate my house with the help of Houzz and my friends
With the help of Houzz and many helpful tips from my...
Leona Liu
how do i share my idea books with my decorator
ktedeschi
melindamcardle
Can I mix it up?!
I have an oak pedestal table in my dining room. I...
Dionne
Dark Bedroom that faces the North with no Light.
It looks bright and i have not done any redecorating...
jmk578
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
wood ceiling suggestions
We are redoing a 1930 grange hall into a residence....
Gretchen Maurer
Need advice for living room storage
I have all windows and no wall space in my townhouse...
mlp48