Bare Spot on wall
chryssiebergman
Hi everyone,

I have just finished designing my kitchen on my own and I have one
spot on the wall beside kitchen window as you will see, my question
should I leave it clear with just the clock for decor or does it look odd bare? I love how the space came together with some challenges but
I just can't make up my mind ...so would love anyones feedback

Thank You!
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
To be honest I would have tiled the entire wall including behind the stove. Your Kitchen is beautiful! I'd leave it as is. Though the clock is over sized for that location it appeals to you and that's what matters most.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:04PM
chryssiebergman
Thank you Jeffrey, thing maybe I should get the tilers back I was just afraid it might look to white.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:09PM
Debra Mooradian
great job! i just "refreshed" my kitchen and a full-on remodel is very stressful! you could hang a cute family picture collage or a Pottery Barn style upscale chalk board for shopping lists... but if it were me, I'd ditch the clock all together (too much of a focal point in my opinion) and get a little flat screen TV to either set on the counter or affix on the wall in the corner space. i love watching tv when i cook... (stove/oven displays the time more discretely.) nothing additional needed with the TV - the open space would be a good thing. good luck!
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:17PM
chryssiebergman
Thanks Debra the kitchen is very open concept and a large TV is only a couple of feet away on the wall that I see from the Island, will look at my clock a little closer, it was my inspiration for the whole kitchen though I do have one very much of the same look but smaller scale that I could add some annie sloan paint so it might not looks so large.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 4:31PM
indianpatti
Very nice kitchen! While I do like the clock, I don't like it hanging where it is. Another kitchen cabinet would like nice where the clock is .. and maybe a colorful piece of art next to the window? Or a colorful roman shade on the window and a smaller clock to the left?
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:35PM
Keitha
I like the big bold clock but it may be better suited on the sink wall instead of right by your range hood?
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:37PM
LB Interiors
If you don't tile the rest of the wall, I would get three cherry floating shelves and add three large vases, different colors, shapes and heights to add some different colors for accents. Stagger the placement or a more symetrical design using all the same length directly over each other. They will help with the scale of the clock and balance that wall space. Or ... a collection of all white vases.
Drawing with shelves for collectibles. Two shelves might work also.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:39PM
What a wonderful kitchen! Great job. My first thought for your "blank space" on the left of the sink is to install three floating white shelves on that wall (which will sort of balance the look and will make sense because of the shelves on the bottom right). I do like your clock there, but if the shelves are there, they may stick out too far to keep the clock there.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:51PM
LB Interiors
You could also place two cherry wood framed art pieces one over the other, that have your favorite color accents.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:55PM
chryssiebergman
I am appreciating everyone's comments and suggestions, attaching another photo from a differant angle,
it would be easy enough to move the clock to the window wall.
2 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 5:57PM
chryssiebergman
That is cool LB the way you put the shelves on so I can picture it, would have to be fairly narrow though right?
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 5:58PM
pcmom1
I would wrap that corner with more cabinets. Always useful!
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 6:03PM
sierra90
Beautiful cabinets!! I agree- add more to the corner.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 6:11PM
chryssiebergman
Corner cabinets......totaly dislike them did not even use them in the bottom corner cabinet I have a large pantry and I am not very tall so everything just gets lost and I wanted something differant but do see the reasoning behind corner cabinets just not for me.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 6:46PM
LB Interiors
Love your kitchen, terrific job! Yes, narrow shelves if you keep the clock there. Since you said it was the inspiration for the kitchen, if you keep it, I would not put another cabinet because the clock will be very lonely. You would need some cherry accents on the counters or on the walls somewhere to bring that richness higher in the room and make it have a reason for being in the space. Everything else is white. It has become a focal point for the room. I think you want it to work with the room and be an accent.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 6:48PM
LB Interiors
Also add a wood bowl on the counter, in the same color of the lower glass front cabinets in that corner. They look a little lonely too.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 6:52PM
Lisa
I would do some cherry wood open shelves perhaps to tie in the counter from the island .. Nice clock but I would relocate it

I would also continue the tile up
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 7:01PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
chryssie; There are lots of alternatives to tile you might use for the other areas. You might use a larger White tile in a different texture or running in a different direction. If you prefer to stick with the same as you have, think about adding a simple band of a color or texture say about 3". In the picture it looks like you've got a "pencil" stone mosaic tile. So above it you could add a subway tile in porcelain about 3" x 6". Since the mosaic has some Gray in it you could use a new tile in Light Gray. Matt finished porcelain will give the mosaic a nice compliment.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:02AM
Jayme H.
An open shelving unit in corner/on both walls, remove clock and use in a different space?
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:06AM
leelee
To me it looks as though you forgot a couple of cabinets. It would be better to add a cabinet on the other side of the window and another by the hood. Then your backsplash area would look more in keeping. Also, a cabinet over the refrigerator would really pull it all together.

Take another look at you picture and imagine the 3 extra cabinets. Your kitchen is too pretty to not get it right.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:18AM
soberg
I think the bare space looks fine. To me, this is preferable to squishing in more cabinets which wouldn't even be practical due to the corner location. There is no need to stuff any kitchen with the maximum possible cabinetry (that law has been repealed :-) ). I am seeing more and more kitchens where people have not installed the maximum possible uppers and I like the look a lot, the open space provides a spacious feel and sets off and enhances the ornamentation of the rest. So just leave it as is, with your clock. No display shelves required, they will only fight with your glam cabs.
2 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:34AM
suzmue
Nice kitchen! What kind of countertops are those and what is the backsplash used...just starting to redo ours
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:43AM
Jayme H.
Kinda like this
4 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:46AM
Ivy Levinson
I love! The cabinets and have been looking at the same ones for my new build:). I am having the same " corner" issue with my L shaped kitchen to be. I can't stand lazy Susan's where your Tupperware ends up stacked and disorganized so I agree with your omitting those corner cupboards. I agree with Jeffrey. You could add another band of another style tile but I also think you may want to reconsider the wall paint color. Make it a color that pops a bit more like a soft turquoise or very soft butter yellow. Leave the clock if you love it and was your muse for the renov. Beautiful kitchen. What is your red counter made of? So glossy and pretty- love it :))
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:46AM
Ivy Levinson
@ Jayme those shelves have what is known as "poison arrows" in feng shui. It's the sharp corners that stick out.Not good for any room.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:48AM
Ferendo Kitchen and Bath
I agree that tile it all the way may make the kitchen too white. I also love the clock but not in that spot. If you do not need cabinets for extra storage, I would think warping the corner with floating shelves to display cooking wares, plates or bowl will add a little more interest to it without grabbing too much of the attention.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:48AM
Jayme H.
@ivy levinson...there r a bunch of sharp edges in this kitchen-including the shelves on lower cabinets. Thanks for the info.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 6:53AM
Ivy Levinson
I changed my mind about the color paint after studying the photo again. What about a shade of grey??
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:54AM
collettec
Is the countertop on your island red? I would bring in a simple roman shade in that same red for the window.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 7:03AM
chryssiebergman
The counter is a calcutta marble look fomica lot of grey and white in it, the Island is a deep red with a little bit of a blue tone in it rather than organge and it is quartz. I was thining of a shade for the window or since it is very deep mybe some glas shelvesl and creat a topper of plants. The paint colour stands as it wraps the whole living space
and goes very well with the white drapes I have as well as wall units in the Living Room. I used a very old cabinet
in the corner that is not deep but makes a great dry cupboard. (once I get some great containers) I am also
going to get a large stand mixer in the corner.
2 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 7:22AM
Jayme H.
@chryssiebergman...Good job on your kitchen, you did a great job, I like it a lot!
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 7:25AM
chryssiebergman
I am going to look thru my storage of things to find somthing unusual for the wall or move the clock to the window wall away from the range hood. I have no other place for the clock *kinda whined a lot to get it* It probably would
have worked much better but we lost a full foot on the ceiling height because of duct work so I could not eve use
the amazing crown moulding I had for the area that was suppose to wrap all the ceilings in the kitchen.
Thank to you all I will figure something out.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 7:27AM
chryssiebergman
Thank Jayme !
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 7:28AM
pcmom1
Really is a gorgeous space.

I am wondering if you put the clock on the wall next to the sink, and added a vertical sort of rack or set of floating shelves next to the stove, that might look very good. The oval shape of the clock will repeat the pattern in the cabinets and the rack or shelves could hold oils or spices for cooking.

Then on the counter top in the corner a red ceramic planter holding an herb or orchid.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 8:36AM
timber2004
I am thinking that perhaps a brightly colored print framed in the same wood as your clock or even red to pick up on your island would be great. I think that if you add shelves, it may hide your clock. That was your inspiration piece after all, and after "whining" to get it, you really shouldn't remove it. Your space is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy. :)
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 8:47AM
timber2004
Another thought I am having is to find something circular, to mimic the great detail in your glass doors, as well as your clock. I could not find an image on-line unfortunately, but Pier 1 has some great tealight holders that hang on the wall. I have a circular one in my family room that goes very well with pillows that have a circular print. Metal would work nicely with the clock and all the wood in the room.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 9:02AM
heywatch
I like the clock, but I would hang it Across the corner, either suspended from the ceiling, or with 2 hooks, one on each side of the clock, attached to each wall...providing it didn't put the clock too far out into the rooms so that it interfered with your counter space when you were using it. Good luck with it, though I haven't read all of the comments, I agree with timber2004 re: mimic glass door detail, which IMO, is one more reason to keep the clock.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 9:14AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
chryssie, I just checked in to see how it's going and now that I've read some of the input I have to add my two cents!!! I don't believe that every blank space always needs filling. The concept of adding shelves sounds good but will seem unusual and visually uncomfortable since they'll be partially blocked by the range hood. Likewise installing an "L" shaped shelf unit or cabinet means that the inside corner will be rendered useless and in the shadows. If you feel strongly about adding something to that spot think about some alternatives. Brackets finished to match your cabinets can be installed on the wall beside your window. These small "shelves" could hold small glass vases with sprouting herbs. Good looking artificial herbs and flowers can be found online from makers of artificial arrangements. Bulbs of clustered Orchids, grasses, and ferns will add some color, texture and interest. I think I said earlier that I would nix the clock. It competes with the scale of everything around it.
Another thought is to add tile or stone and have a detail included in the tile design. A single three dimensional plaque or molded tile in a good size say 27" high x 18" wide. A tallish rectangle will echo the shape of your doors. Use only one next to the window and then place a tall wire compote or topiary.
2 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 10:20AM
momof5x
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 10:31AM
chryssiebergman
Thank you for th input Jefferey, I have been trying just about everything in my storage area that might
work, tall thin plate rack, kind of think of the 90's when I look at it though. The pictures I have tone in
very nicely with the living dining kitchen area as a whole but one seems to small and two to much and
they are not very kitchen like. I have to use my husband's iphone to take some pictures with differant
ideas tonight. I am thinking I do not have small shelves but I like the idea of herbs and small vases.
Making holes in the wall are very intimidating. And I just might agree that every space does not need
to be filled with something substantial. Have you on your travels found a metal utensil holder that
looks like half an umbrella I must have seen one somewhere at some time, cause I thought if I moved
the clock (has to stay) to the window wall I could put one of those by the range hood. no luck for me searching
on line, maybe I dreamed it. I am going up to our old house to root thru the shed it is amazing what we find
when we look at things that we have ummm stored.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 10:39AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Try Googl-ing "French Wire Baskets" , "French Wire Compote" You'll see things that will go well in that location.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 10:43AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
By the way, hanging from a tile surface can be done by having your tile installer drill thru with a masonry bit. Lighter weight things can be attached with polymer glue which can be removed later. There are other means too and it will just take a little research to find them.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 10:47AM
chryssiebergman
I love that plate rack momof5x I did a kitchen renovation for my daughter...she was trusting me big time with her
budget and I designed and had made this Plate Rack shelf, but it would be way to wide in this space but the one
you show is horizontal rather than vertical very interesting notice the mahongany insert I mimiked in the range hood. Just did not think it would be the right style with these cabinets.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 10:56AM
chryssiebergman
googling french wire baskets right now Jeffery!
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 10:57AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
If you can locate a three tier compost this will add height in that location. Using another to hold utensils or using galvanized buckets for flowers will become a nice compostion. You can Houzz or Pinterest for French Kitchens or French Country Kitchens.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 11:05AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
"Compote" not "compost"............................Lol...........................OK, so I'm not the best speller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 11:06AM
pcmom1
Another option: set of mirrors from Ballard Designs. Google them and check out item number WM420, Garden District Mirrors. These come in pairs, each is 42 by 16 inches and come in 3 frame finishes. They would fill your space without taking up any real space, reflect your clock, add light, and the insert reminds me of your cabinets!
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 4:07PM
chryssiebergman
Those are nice pcmom1 ! Once all is quiet around here I am going to try a picture or two that I have to see what
it looks like. Thank you for finding them for me to look at.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 6:57PM
Ivy Levinson
@Jayme Hobbs: You are correct, after looking closer she does have more sharp corners on shelves- funny I missed them I usually have "corner radar" with a toddler running around -LOL!
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 8:06PM
leelee
Yes, open spaces are great, aren't they? That's why we have this dilemma.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 6:21AM
Need help turning bare wall into photo wall?
I need to put something on this huge wall in my house....
Huge Space- Den- Leftover Furniture- Bare Walls & Floors- HELP!
About a year ago I made the move to live with my better...
Need ideas for this bare wall in the dinning room
This is such a main wall that you 1st see when you...
Bare kitchen walls
We just moved in and I want to hang something above...
Help maximizing bare back wall in master closet
I'll be moving into our new home this summer and need...
Advice on kitchen counter, backsplash and flooring
We have mountain vacation home that we are updating...
How could I arrange my living/tv room for max use?
I bought my small 1940's house a few years ago, and...
Need help with countertop and backsplash mismatch
We just finish a kitchen remodel. I had chosen my...
Coffee table/ ottoman/ furniture arrangement advice, please!
Hello Houzzers, Our living area is sort of L-shaped...