Basement bathroom layout help
printesa
We are finishing the basement and I need to decide on a final layout for the bathroom. I've been trying to come up with a layout, but nothing seems to click the way I want it. The size of the room is about 10' wide by 11' long. In the far left corner I need to have an enclosure for the waste pump and the buster pump. That takes about 3'5" x 3'5". On the back wall, there are some water pipes and a meter. I don't know if those can be moved in the same enclosure as the pumps (I still have to discuss that with my contractor). If that can be moved, I would like to have the shower there (shower size about 4' x3' or larger). If the pipes cannot be moved, then I will probably need to have the shower on the right as I enter the bathroom. On the left, I could have the vanity. Also, on the left, there is a steel post. I was thinking to enclose that in some kind of shelving, as part of the vanity? I am not sure how that would work. Also, the toilet would probably go towards the far right corner of the photo (if the shower needs to be on the right as I enter the room). Also speaking of the shower, if it goes on the right side, my husband wants to have just one wall of glass so that the toilet can go behind the shower, without being visible as one enters the bathroom (I hope it makes sense what I say); similar to this, but the entry door would be where the painting is in this photo Luster of the Pearl As you can see, we are pretty undecided,,trying to come up with something that is functional and looks nice. I really need your help. We are open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot!!!

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Is this a Guest or second bath? If it is you might consider enclosing the column with a wall running perpendicular to the concrete wall. Then you could do a single floating shelf as your vanity with perhaps a second shelf below for storage of rolled towels, baskets etc. The waste pump can be enclosed to look as though it is supporting the otheer end of your floating vanity.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:10PM
printesa
This is just a bathroom for the basement (no bedrooms here). The basement will have an open plan with a bar, and games, and with only two rooms (the bathroom and to the right of it, a soundproof music room). The overall size of the basement is about 2000 sq. feet. I was thinking to do what you said, but I wasn't sure if the resulting nook (the small space on the left of the pole - 28x24) would look ok for open shelves. After adding the drywall, it would probably be about 18" wide.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 4:58PM
printesa
any other suggestions?
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 3:16AM
OnePlan
if you enclose the pole in the bathroom with a nook for shelving - I think as it stands the shelving would be easier accessed from outside the room not inside - so will be a feature nook to the left of the doorway - add a light and a stunning tall sculpture maybe ? or shelves for bits and bobs ! like your inspiration photo !
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 3:47AM
printesa
Thanks OnePlan! I haven't thought of accessing it from the outside. That sounds like a feasible idea. I will draw it so I can see the overall look.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 3:57AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi printesa, a quick thought about that small space beside the pole. If you feel you need the storage then by all means, I'd say go for it. However something to think about here is the long term maintenance. Open shelving can become a dust catcher and nothing more. I've done many basement conversions and have had clients ask that we capture small nooks and such. We've turned some into mirrored, glass shelved and beautifully lit display areas. Some we've done with simple shelving. In both cases the feedback from clients after some time has passed is that they cost more $ than their value. So I'm not saying this will not work for you just take a few minutes to think about how you will ultimately benefit.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 5:53AM
printesa
Thanks Jeffrey for bringing this up. I don't think I will need extra storage. I am sure I can find space somewhere else in the bathroom. Maybe just enclosing that area in drywall will be the best option. Now, I have to see what I can do with the rest of the layout. Depending on the water pipes, if they can be re-directed, I need to figure out the shower location.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 7:09AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
There are some really cool shower units out there. Check out Purificat and Aquavit.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 8:40AM
printesa
Thank you Jeffrey! I will take a look at them. My overall idea for the bathroom was similar to the one in this photo
No need for the bench or curbless shower, but the same location of the shower, fixed glass panel,,,and the color something lighter than this,
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 10:49AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Try to keep your mind open to a slightly different look. Because of the space you have to work with it might mean doing something with a curve here and there.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 11:08AM
chesternester
It looks like your drains are already roughed in, which is good as long as you can make the layout work. Moving them involves busting up your floor and having the drains rerouted. I would suggest just trying to make your drain locations work. Based on what i can see i would place your shower on the left behind the poles and the toilet and vanity straight ahead when u walk in.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 11:11AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
here's a thought
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 11:15AM
printesa
Chesternester- the drains have to be rerouted.. unfortunately. It is not because of a specific layout that I want. The builder didn't care where the pipes go. If I were to use what I have now, that would mean to have the toilet in the middle of the bathroom:) Thanks for you suggestion. I will do some measurements and see how it will look.
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 11:24AM
printesa
Jeffrey, I'm sure I cannot do the exact design given the size and other constraints. I am trying to see how I can place it so that I don't create a tunnel as one enters the room. Thanks for the suggestion!
0 Likes   May 14, 2013 at 11:27AM
printesa
If anyone can come up with a better layout for this room, please don't hesitate to do so:) Also, anyone has a idea for the ceiling? We don't want to use drywall for the basement so that we can have easy access to pipes and also be able to pull cables. I tried finding a decent drop ceiling, but all of them look like hospital ceilings. Anything decent like the wood panels (woodworks grills for example from Armstrong) have exorbitant prices (about $30 a square foot just the material). I've seen spray painted ceilings, which looked ok, but I was looking for a modern finished look.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 11:09AM
chesternester
check out http://www.ceilume.com/. They have tiles with some dimension to them and come in multiple colors and finishes. I plan on using them in my basement.
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 3:52AM
printesa
Thanks chesternester! I looked at them a while back and have them as an option. Another option is the MIO ceiling. They look nice in photos. I ordered a sample to see how they look and feel. I am trying to find something that looks acceptable and hides the grid used for the drop ceiling. I wanted to use stretch ceiling, but the cost is too much ($15/sq.f)
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 4:50AM
OnePlan
Hi ! Have pasted in this link to take you to a free room planner http://thebrick.icovia.com
Might help you with the thinking process ?!?!
Kind regards
OnePlan http://www.houzz.com/pro/oneplan/oneplan
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 6:33AM
printesa
Thanks OnePlan! I will use that and see what I come up with.
1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 6:53AM
Need help with basement bathroom layout
I have a bathroom in the basement and can not figure...
Need help with basement ideas and layout
I'm struggling with my furniture layout. How to make...
Help me decide on a layout for our basement/home theater room
We are looking to build an entertainment area and make...
Basement layout. Help please!!!
We are needing to design part of our basement layout....
Need help with basement layout!!
We are in the process of finishing our basement and...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Help in tying rooms together
I love Houzz but this is my very first post! My main...
I need ceiling help!
we are inn the process of buying a home that the previous...
exterior siding
We are in the process of building a craftsman style...
What fabric would you use?
What fabric would you choose to recover this loveseat?...