Build up or tear down?
cheryltamcheng
May 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is it better to add a second story to your house or just level the house and start over? Is there a big price differential? My house is currently a one story that probably needs the foundation retro-fitted to accomodate a second floor. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
Second story additions often cost a lot more than we think (some people say it costs just as much as reconstructing) because everything that you do involves opening up the walls downstairs. If your existing house has qualities that you like and/or isn't too complicated, it could be cost-effective to work with the ground floor. It will really depend on the particulars.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 8:38PM
cheryltamcheng
Thank you! Unfortunately we really can't do much to the ground floor because of setbacks so the options would be to build up or level it and start all over. I just wasn't sure if there is a big price difference.
0 Likes   May 13, 2013 at 8:42PM
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
Right - I don't mean that you would be remodeling the ground floor - you just end up reframing, putting new foundation, residing, rewiring, patching and repainting. So, you end up spending a lot of the money anyway without getting any real change.
1 Like   May 13, 2013 at 8:49PM
PRO
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Great advice from posts above! We are working on a few major remodels and they are approaching the "threshold" to tear-down! Best to start with a "Mission Statement" or wish list of your goals and dreams then interview and talk to Architects, Designers and General Contractors to discuss feasibility. The team will help you decide once they review the entire "scope of work". As advised above, there are many particulars and conditions that need to be factored in, including "emotional attachment" to the existing home! Good Luck!
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 10:07AM
cheryltamcheng
Thank you! That's a great idea to start with a mission statement and see what the scope of work comes out to be.
1 Like   May 14, 2013 at 12:01PM