Need Help with Updating Exterior - Paint - Change Cement Siding
riverbruiser
I want to update the exterior of this house. Right now it has sort of a colonial look. I don't like it because it's too plain. I was thinking of replacing the round front columns with square ones and painting it a different color. Shutters are another obvious change. Also, should I change the horizontal siding on a gable or two to give it some variety? Above the windows need something, too. The wood needs replacing there. Does anyone have any ideas to make this house pop more? thanks
HERE Design and Architecture
I feel like this house is already picturesque without getting too tricky with it. I would personally remove the stone veneer on the single gable - it looks odd to me, as does that arched window. You could certainly paint the siding a color that you like, but, with an already complex composition of gables, I think doing much more to it would be more likely to detract.
May 14, 2013 at 10:02am     
I concur with HERE Design- you could spend a lot of money only to wish you would have left it alone, well except that one gable. I too think it would look better to match the rest of the house.
May 14, 2013 at 10:15am     
mefor
Yes to:
Changing columns
Removing stonework on gable
Replacing shutters with real, operable ones
Contrasting trim/shutter/body of house color
Updating landscaping (too many little round shapes) just a little shaping and maybe some more shrubs in front of and between the larger ones.

No to changing the siding treatment on other gables.
I think the house is very attractive, it has pleasing proportions
May 14, 2013 at 11:50am     
riverbruiser
Those are some thoughtful suggestions. Thank you for the input. It always helps to have another set of eyes to take a look and give an opinion. The cement siding on the house needs to be repainted/touched up and chalked better so I think now is a good time to decide whether to change the color. Like y'all said, I think a contrast with the shutter/trim/body would look good. I just didn't know if I should stop there, but I think the consensus is not to do too much and make it too busy.
May 14, 2013 at 6:21pm   
Richard Spence
The basic architectural elements are quite well balanced with the exception of stone / brick veneer on that one gable.. The shutters add a nice touch but I would include the details above the windows in the contrasting colors it will make them look taller and accent the feature to better advantage. I agree with mforr re the landscape. maybe you can group these shrubs in better proportion and open the view of the house. The trim around the gables can also be in the contrasting color and this will sharpen up the appearance of the house like an edge around a collar on a jacket. Re windows frames and shutters. don't be afraid to use more than one color see people like Benjamin Moor who have heritage palettes and the like where you can put 3 colors or contrasting shades to quite a understated but dramatic effect.
April 25, 2014 at 1:06am   
garden design online
Replace the posts,add a fence.redesign the garden.
April 25, 2014 at 5:19am   
mefor
This is an older thread, hope they'll post an update
April 25, 2014 at 6:07am   
Need Help to update exterior , paint and curb appeal ?
We want to update exterior and thinking to change whole...
Need help choosing exterior paint colour for siding and trim!
I'd like to enhance the cottage/farmhouse feel. We...
Those other walls?
I think I'm going to do an accent wall in my girls...
Ranch home
Hi there! We are in the process of purchasing this...
Help revamp my family room
Don't know how to change my fireplace. The actual fireplace...
Your favourite colour combo?
I'm currently into yellow + grey interiors, it's a...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...