Which fabrics?

betty71May 14, 2013
I want to make pillows with these fabrics and potentially have curtains made as well. I can't decide which to go with. Any preferences? Which should be large pillows, small pillows, etc. I also need to find side tables for the sofa. Style thoughts?

The artwork is mostly black, white, and blues with a touch of green. I also have a coral colored sideboard in the attached dining room with blue/white accents.

The room in the photos is a wreck and I haven't placed the furniture properly since we are moving to a new house in about a month. The new room has medium colored hardwoods. Also, the cane chair in the photos is for another room and the prints currently on the walls belong to the original owner so I hung them back up for our move.
betty71
More photos. Also the china on the tea table is moving and not for this room.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:18AM
Give the green, I would go for contrast and use the orange geometric pattern and the smaller blue orange lozenge pattern.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:55PM
studio10001
In addition, larger patterns on larger pieces.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:21PM
Jane Antonacci Interior Design
I love the coral and emerald fabrics. The coral fretwork fabric is super. I'd like to see the curtains out of that. Keep the walls very white. And think about painting the base of your cocktail table a glossy off white. Maybe a couple of 18 x 18" pillows out of the large black and white, the solid green for a another square and one rectangle 14 x 20 out of the coral fret work. For the chair, the green with the white embroidery would be fun, again in a rectangle or "kidney" pillow at 12" x 16". Looks like fun!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:29PM
A Crew of Two
Your room feels very formal so I think you need to keep the fabrics classic. I like the white/cream and the green at the top the best.
Turn of the Century Cottage · More Info
I like the large blue and white print for the curtains. You have a lot of curves going on in the legs and shapes of the furniture so I think side tables with clean lines would be perfect.
Mid Century Modern Furniture and Decor · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:34PM
From photo 2, I would remove both green fabrics and use the remaining 3 fabrics: the coral and white, the all white, and the navy and white print. I would make two 20" sq. pillows from the navy and white print with a small solid coral welt and place these pillows at each end of the sofa. Then I would make a 14 x 24" pillow of the coral and white pattern to place in the middle of the sofa.

On the wing back chair(s), I would place a 12 x 20" pillow of the white fabric with small solid coral welting. You'll need to find a solid coral fabric for the welting.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:40PM
betty71
Thank you for the great suggestions! Yes, it is a formal room mostly used for having tea with my friends or for myself to sit and read in peace lol.

For the tables, since it is a formal space, should I stick with matching or should I go for similar but different. I like the suggestion of something with a clean line. Also, if I find wood, should I go dark, medium or light?
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:27PM
A Crew of Two
I think the tables should match in this case- and I like a lighter wood just because you say the floors are a medium tone. Your sofa is dark and a lighter wood will stand out. If you wanted you could even bring in a metal finish for them.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:30PM
Betty, I would go with different end tables, one wood and one metal. Or you could use just one end table with a table lamp and then just a floor lamp on the other end. You could change your coffee table to a simple glass topped one with brass legs if you wanted. You have some lovely pieces that could mix with some 21st C. offerings.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:39PM
Stamps Design Services
Pillows are really a matter of personal choice, but use larger patterns on larger pillows and smaller patterns on the smaller ones. If it were me, I would probably use the coral (to tie in the sideboard) along with the white and perhaps the green and white (second from the right).... I would also use the white material for the draperies.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:52PM
betty71
Oh yes. I forgot to mention that the coffee table can go away. If it does, what to use?

I am glad you mentioned mixing with things from the 21st C. Because that is what I would like to do. Mix the older pieces I love with something a bit more current.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:16PM
betty71
Lamps? I have an easy time finding vintage and antique items but new is hard lol
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:21PM
Cheery Curtains
May I suggest more fabrics? Both available for making curtains and pillows.
http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qyd297he.html
http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qyd297ig.html
http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qyd297p.html
http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qyd297md.html
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 11:43PM
Ethan Allen has a lovely coffee table that I think would update your room nicely while adding a classic element to the room. It also comes in a brass finish and costs about $630.
Collectors Classics Coffee Table by Ethan Allen · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:02AM
betty71
Carolyn, you read my mind! That table is perfect! Thank you.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:37AM
Which fabric for my curtains???
Here are some fabric swatches that I picked up today...
Mrsbaglady
Ideas for prom dress?
I am 5'10 tall girl and i have a boyish figure with...
1.20 zoroaster
Design for Master Bedroom
I have 6x5meter room with a door on left corner. It...
faizaraisi
Stairs in center of kitchen
My current kitchen layout consists of a nice wide u-shaped...
kshanahan
Gas range black side, need stainless side....is one out there??
Our new kitchen is planned and about to start this...
Kim Sobolewski
Hickory flooring questions
We like hickory flooring, and want to achieve a look...
mzdesign2015
Sponsored Products
Elegant Designs Lamps Royal Gem 22.75 in. Clear White Colored Glass Diamond
$69.99 | Home Depot
Howard Dining Side Chair in Beige
$299.00 | LexMod
Albion Brushed Nickel One-Light 6-Inch Mini Pendant with Black Shade
$92.00 | Bellacor
Quoizel Orland Urn Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Rizzy Home Anna Redmond Collection Embroidered Decorative Throw Pillow - T04328
$32.00 | Hayneedle
King Sham - WHITE/CHAMPAGNE
$221.00 | Horchow
Eliot Leather Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
British Colonial Outdoor Bench with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE