Window treatments?
ruffian829
We just moved into our house and I kind of love how the window looks without the blinds that were up when we bought it since I've painted the walls and the trim (it was old wallpaper before).
There is a big lilac bush that blocks any view of the neighbors, it's only a few feet from the window. Can I just leave the window as-is? Or should I add a curtain? Put the blinds back up? Suggestions?
ruffian829
(Not 100% sold on the couch set up, my husband did it when I was at work- here's a photo that shows the window better)
May 14, 2013 at 1:23pm   
Don't put the blinds back up - eventually add a good thick rod all the way across and hang flanking panels that sit outside the window for softness and color. Hang a mid-tone woven matchstick blind above the window from the ceiling so you get all the light when it is open and it looks like a valance - they have good ones at home depot in varied widths so you can get the widths to match the windows below but hang them all together above. Right now the bush gives you privacy but doesn't really allow you a view, and at some point you will want to trim it down a bit. Congrats on your new home -
May 14, 2013 at 1:38pm   
A Crew of Two
Congrats! These curtains are so pretty and do not stop the eye and add warmth to the room. They are neutral and will go with anything.
May 14, 2013 at 1:45pm   
patriciarhall
Please post more photos of the room, showing all walls, doors and windows so you will have better comments and suggestions for furniture placement and window treatments.
May 14, 2013 at 1:54pm   
ruffian829
Were still unpacking and the kitchen is obviously a work in progress so excuse the mess ;)
Pic 1: couch looking straight on from the living room
Pic 2: to the left of the couch. Door goes to three season porch.
Pic 3: to the right of the couch
Pic 4: also to the right. Stairs go downstairs to a front door
Pic 5: looking from the couch into the kitchen
(I can't scroll down so I hope I did these in the right order)
May 14, 2013 at 3:22pm   
ruffian829
My photos didn't seem to attach- ill try again...
May 14, 2013 at 3:24pm   
ruffian829
Pics 1-3
May 14, 2013 at 3:26pm   
ruffian829
Pics 1-3
May 14, 2013 at 3:26pm   
ruffian829
5&6 and one more of the kitchen.

The couches are modular so there is a lot of endless options. Can be made into separate chairs, an L shape, a bed, etc.
May 14, 2013 at 3:27pm   
You need to attach them as jpegs.
May 14, 2013 at 3:27pm   
ruffian829
I can see them in the ones I just posted (sorry for the double post) let me know if they still don't come out (on my phone so just using "attach photo from library")
May 14, 2013 at 3:32pm   
ruffian829
I also have this closet with no idea what to do for a door. It's down the stairs by the front door, to the right of the couch. It had a cheap plastic wood-imitation accordion/foldable door when we moved in (I threw it in the dumpster...)
May 14, 2013 at 3:34pm   
For now, at the closet, you can hang a pretty thick white duck grommet topped curtain on a spring rod on it - plain and simple but will hide the stuff. Your pics came through great. I'm still a fan of the woven woods, especially looking into the next sunroom area where you have so many windows - these are a good value and you can afford to do a lot of them.

Since the view is out the window I would work the sectional around onto the wall on the left and partially under this window rather than all along the window wall. Now I'm giving unsolicited advice so please forgive me in advance.

That will help you with the television as well, so it can turn away from being across from the glare. You could put some of the sectional on the opposite pony wall - facing each other across the window. You can slide your eating table out where you guys are working on flooring now on top of a round sisal or add a pair of chairs with their backs to the kitchen eventually. You may want to do a freestanding island facing this space with the butcherblock top - and the bar stool extensions heading this way - and paint out the wood door i see on right in white trim color to harmonize. http://www.ekitchenislands.com/islands-&-carts/stationary-kitchen-islands/homestylesnantucketkitchenislandblack.cfm s

As for the television, the pocket it is in draws the eye to the big visual "jump" from the pale straw tone in the living room to the deep pewter over white in the kitchen. Have you picked these colors out? It looks freshly painted.

Eventually, you can hang the television from the wall on a swing arm so it still pulls out at an angle but doesn't feel like it can get knocked off by someone with their arms full coming up the stair(!). You could then paint the media component cabinet in the dark pewter of the kitchen and place it flat on the wall even if the tv hangs out that will help the look of it. IMHO the rooms would feel more unified if they were the same color - and therefore a bit larger, but if you just painted them and can't get any help to rework a freshly painted that one long wall, you might paint the white wainscot area on the plain kitchen wall the same yellow to help tie them together. I can see why you picked the pewter tone to work with your sofa but that long wall jump cut isn't doing your room any favors right now - it is really a nice big space, and painted all together with an island would look like a new great room.
May 14, 2013 at 4:26pm     
Tres McKinney Design
If the furniture is to be placed in front of the window then I do not recommend curtains. Consider instead either plantation shutters or woven wood blinds such as burnt bamboo.
May 14, 2013 at 4:48pm     
Genevieve
would it be possible to leave the window free of the sofa by placing it against another wall? Or more to the center

[houzz=new project]

[houzz=Contemporary Linen Drapes with Bamboo Shades]
May 14, 2013 at 5:15pm     
ruffian829
Libradesigneye- yes it's all freshly painted. There used to be a wall separating the living room and kitchen that we knocked down. No desire to repaint anything. I realize it separates the rooms but a) I like the colors and b) I feel like I've been non stop painting for weeks now and I still have three rooms left to do (bathroom, dining and another bedroom). Eventually, we are going to do something with that "long wall" in the kitchen to open it up to the dining room (like, possibly knock it down) which will break it up a bit. Probably this winter.

As far as the TV being hit by someone coming up the stairs that little recessed spot is pretty deep, so it's not really a concern.

I've thought about moving the couch to the left wall, or possibly doing an L shape along that wall. Might try it this weekend. I get anxiety thinking about moving things- we just refinished the floor and I'm noticing every. little. scratch.
May 14, 2013 at 6:03pm   
ruffian829
Cannot put the couch up against the half wall- I have a two year old who likes to climb and it could be a serious fall if he went over that wall.

The wood door in the kitchen will get painted (when I find time! We're doing everything here ourselves! It's rewarding and exhausting).

Can you give me a link or photo of the type of blinds your talking about? I'm not sure I understand or am envisioning them correctly.
May 14, 2013 at 6:06pm   
I'm in the middle of rewarding and exhausting myself and I don't have to deal with a two year old - i totally understand! The photo with the panels over the bamboo blinds is a great illustration of my original suggestion - Here's a link to one type that may coordinate with your wall color. Go to the store in your area to start - take your wall color chip with you - http://www.homedepot.com/p/HOMEbasics-Natural-Woven-Bamboo-Burnout-Cordless-Roman-Shade-Price-Varies-by-Size-WS-06062-1-46/203841745?N=bt0v#csku=203841729 I have the kind with the cords, but they have both - Congratulations on your new space - it will all settle in and you will so enjoy it.
May 14, 2013 at 6:22pm   
Genevieve
Get some felt pads for under the legs of the sofa and tables this will save your floors .

safety first for your 2 years old :) prevention from falling down the stairs

]
May 14, 2013 at 7:12pm   
Cheery Curtains
Roman shades with nice patterns and will introduce more patterns and colors. You have nice views outside and I recommend this fabric. http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qye223bd.html

We can customize Roman shades. :)
May 14, 2013 at 11:59pm   
ruffian829
Genevieve- Felt pads are on my "must get" list for this weekend (along with a million other things! It feels never ending!!).

I like the idea of hanging the shades from up by the ceiling so we can still have the whole window open when we want to.

I am going to try and move the furniture off of that wall as much as I can. We will eventually get new couches but I have no idea when they'll fit into the budget.

I really like the idea of painting the TV stand the gray from the kitchen.

(Cheery curtains- We have those roman shade things in our dining room picture window (which faces the street). They came with the house (read=ugly) so ill at least need to replace those ones. Not sure about putting them in the living room though)

What about doing just like a valance across the top? Bad idea?

And libradesigneye- we're already feeling so settled in despite what needs to be done. Compared to the shoebox we were living in since August having a house is amazing. We didn't even have a stove, tub, full size fridge, anything where we were. I was able to cook on the stove last night and give my toddler a bath. I couldn't be happier :)
May 15, 2013 at 4:12am   
ruffian829
Oh! And of course we have baby gates for the stairs :) but I want to get one of the "fancy" ones with a door built in so we don't have to worry about stepping over it going up and down the stairs :)
May 15, 2013 at 4:13am   
Driveway appeal
I just finished pressure watching my driveway and would...
Should the backsplash in this kitchen go all the way up to the ceiling
Planning our tile budget and wondering if we need to...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Help us tone down natural oak color of cabinets by painting walls.
Our new home has very yellow looking oak cabinets in...