Do I need a giant media piece in this space?
vhollickMay 14, 2013
Hello - we just bought a new home and the pic attached is the family room decorated by the previous owners. Do you think I need to have a big media piece like they did? Is that the smartest way to decorate the space? I would love to have a sectional too - what shape should I put in this room? Any ideas on how to configure the family/TV room would be great - thank you!
No to the media center. I would rather see a wall mounted TV over a lovely credenza. Go for the sectional, but get one with equal sides and no chaise. They make for decorating difficulties. If you love a chaise, buy one separately. Don't let the high ceiling intimidate you. Decorate where you live, in the first 8 feet and below the door frames.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:38PM
This will be a great room to decorate once it is all cleared out. One word comes to my mind with this photo...Broyhill.

I would put the TV over the fireplace. A U sectional facing the fireplace/TV. Looks like you could see the TV from the dining area too. You could create a seperate vinette by the window area for reading. A couple of club chairs or a nice wood accent game table.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:48PM
rouxb
You don't "need" to have a large media cabinet if that isn't your choice. I agree a nice credenza would be lovely-TV doesn't need to be mounted to the wall with the right height piece. Also, with so much wall space available adjacent to the fireplace wall, I am not sure that mounting the TV above the fireplace brings much to the party. L shaped sectional or 2 sofas in L formation would be comfy for both TV and fireplace viewing.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 5:14PM
Sasha Retana
Same problem here. Traditional decor, contemporary space. I'd nix the florals and large decorative pieces. Wall mounted flat screen, low console a d done floating shelves. A sleek sectional instead of grandma chairs.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:48PM
Sasha Retana
Down with the valances! Some linen panels or even blinds would do a better service to the space, and other pieces with clean lines.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
Sasha Retana

more along these lines, although maybe not quite THIS sleek. but you see what i mean in this similar space
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:05PM
restoredtreasurestoo
Did you say what style you are interested in? Here is a modern set up using floating shelves
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:35PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
I agree with the other comments. If I can help you with anything please let me know.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:14PM
shaistag
Have too many giant walls-where do I put the art?
My LR is open to the second story loft. The thing...
Jennifer Scollon
Need Studio Space Help! -- Media Console, and more
HELP! What would you suggest?? Please ignore mattress...
llbeans
Does a media console need to be significantly wider than the TV above?
We picked (but didn't order) a great console and a...
Chaylee Kaleski
Kids (9&15) upstairs playroom/ media room need ideas
I have a 2story very open floor plan home. The top...
laurabarajas
Barn Conversion Space
We are converting a historical mill barn into a residence....
cdec_65
Lunada Bay glass tiles- defective or not?
We had Lunada Bay Sumi-e Ogari Silk glass tiles installed...
ltwmccarthy
Style of my house?
It may not seem like much to some people, but I have...
Kristee Canipe
How to dress the Buffet?
Hello Houzzers! I need some pro help here. I just cannot...
meddr101
Master Bath Flooring dilemma
I am having trouble deciding on a floor tile for my...
ccort