Do I need a giant media piece in this space?
vhollickMay 14, 2013
Hello - we just bought a new home and the pic attached is the family room decorated by the previous owners. Do you think I need to have a big media piece like they did? Is that the smartest way to decorate the space? I would love to have a sectional too - what shape should I put in this room? Any ideas on how to configure the family/TV room would be great - thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
No to the media center. I would rather see a wall mounted TV over a lovely credenza. Go for the sectional, but get one with equal sides and no chaise. They make for decorating difficulties. If you love a chaise, buy one separately. Don't let the high ceiling intimidate you. Decorate where you live, in the first 8 feet and below the door frames.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:38PM
Margo
This will be a great room to decorate once it is all cleared out. One word comes to my mind with this photo...Broyhill.

I would put the TV over the fireplace. A U sectional facing the fireplace/TV. Looks like you could see the TV from the dining area too. You could create a seperate vinette by the window area for reading. A couple of club chairs or a nice wood accent game table.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:48PM
rouxb
You don't "need" to have a large media cabinet if that isn't your choice. I agree a nice credenza would be lovely-TV doesn't need to be mounted to the wall with the right height piece. Also, with so much wall space available adjacent to the fireplace wall, I am not sure that mounting the TV above the fireplace brings much to the party. L shaped sectional or 2 sofas in L formation would be comfy for both TV and fireplace viewing.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 5:14PM
Sasha Retana
Same problem here. Traditional decor, contemporary space. I'd nix the florals and large decorative pieces. Wall mounted flat screen, low console a d done floating shelves. A sleek sectional instead of grandma chairs.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:48PM
Sasha Retana
Down with the valances! Some linen panels or even blinds would do a better service to the space, and other pieces with clean lines.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
Sasha Retana

more along these lines, although maybe not quite THIS sleek. but you see what i mean in this similar space
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:05PM
restoredtreasurestoo
Did you say what style you are interested in? Here is a modern set up using floating shelves
1 Like    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:35PM
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
I agree with the other comments. If I can help you with anything please let me know.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:14PM