Small bathroom...what to do?
daphnamm23
Help!
We just moved and this is our only bathroom. Nevertheless to say we are a family of four. I really need to make this small space brighter and use the space without overloading it. Should I change the paint color? Add cabinets?
rinqreation
What is your budget? What are the measurements? Layout?
Is there room to extend in/out or rebuild? What do you like to see in here?
Is the plumbing adjustable (toilet drain!)?
Is there a seperate toilet in the house? How about the layout there?
And could you please post a floorplan if there is room for rebuilding?
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 6:09AM
daphnamm23
It is 7 feet long from the window to the door
And 6 feet wide. There is no other toilet in the house. The plumbing is cesspool.
My budget max $1000. We are thinking of extending, but not at this moment. :(
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 6:25AM
Amala Carpets
I would go with a light teal blue color for the walls, like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/20618110766102408/
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 7:16AM
Do you have a shower? Could you post photos of all 4 sides - even if you cannot get it all in, perhaps we can work out how to help you better.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 7:18AM
daphnamm23
Here are some more pictures
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 10:06AM
daphnamm23
@ASVInvestrirs We have a tub
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 10:07AM
For a family of four
I would see if you could extend your sink to two units (IKEA do very reasonable double sinks) This would use that empty space next to your current sink and by the window
You can either go for two small sinks and lay them on a shelf unit between the wall http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60148329/ (total $180) + taps + shelf/counter
OR if you can manage to turn the heater under the window (and I don't know what type of heater it is in the US and next to a bath)
you could add a double sink with storage ($700). http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bathroom/

This will give you more sink space and also some storage.
I would then paint the upper part of your walls a light colour (white or pale cream) to bring in light. You could add a strip of mirror tiles above the sink (much cheaper than cut glass) or buy two large mirrors from IKEA ($40 total)

Add a white shower curtain, a large white bath mat that will do double time for both sides.

what is the return by the ceiling perhaps you can put some recessed lights there?
5 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 10:17AM
rinqreation
I would try to save some money for a (second) seperate toilet. Having a small bathroom is fine, but having to wait for the shower when someone is on the toilet (or other way around) is annoying.

A really pale blue wall paint for example, a white/light shower curtain, a new piece of pvc flooring (light wood look?), larger oval mirror, light fixture, maybe white shutters/blinds, some fun accents in color. The double ikea sink is a good idea, or a long sink.
Broderick Bath
Lake Minnetonka Children's Bathroom Remodel
Cozy Cottage Bathroom
Wyndmoor Residence bathroom
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 1:30PM
3 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 1:36PM
daphnamm23
Thank you very much for all the great ideas! I love the double sink, I love Ikea, the color ideas and I love the accent ideas. I totally appreciate all your help. I didn't know what to do ( I know now) Thank you :))
You all are A-wesome!
2 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 1:49PM
OnePlan
hey ! you had the dream team working on that !! lucky you !!! Houzz is great !!! so many good ideas !!
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 1:56PM
daphnamm23
Last question. Should I paint this cabinets or should I repaint them white?
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 2:02PM
daphnamm23
:).
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 2:03PM
leelee
Plenty of towel bars to hang wet towels.
2 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 2:27PM
daphnamm23
Oh yeah great idea! Thank you
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 2:30PM
pcmom1
For long term, I would start to scope out an area for a powder room. To save money, if it could actually back up to current plumping and be next door, that would be optimum. A second toilet for your family would be really nice to have!

Wonder if for the short term we could figure out some sort of partition, pocket door or sliding door to separate the toilet area of the bath from the shower?
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 2:41PM
daphnamm23
We are hoping to do a new second bathroom, but we just moved in and we are still fixing the house ( a farm house from 1830) a lot of work. We are hoping to fix this bathroom and the ideas have been so helpful. I am very thankful to all.
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 2:59PM
You have a couple of problems that have an easy solution. One of them is towel bars and the other is easy access to bottles. With the bead board wainscoting that you have you could do this:

1. Mount a 1x4" board flat against the wall right above the wainscoting and install coat hooks on it to hold towels.
2. At the top of the board, install a 3" wood shelf on which to place cosmetics that need to be readily available.
You could assign a certain section to each member of the family.

Other than those things, I would paint all the trim and cabinets white and select a pleasant color for the walls.
A light tile on the floor and shower would brighten the room enormously. As would a good light fixture.
Kids Bathroom
Traditional bathroom remodeling
Duneseye Beachy cottage style bathroom
2 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 3:18PM
daphnamm23
Thank you so much. I can see the light now...do you think I should change the color on the cabinets or leave it white?
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 3:39PM
Mary Koczwara
I agree with Carolyn, above.

Another idea for towels is to install hooks on the back of bedroom doors. Each person keeps his/her towel in his/her room, which is where we often end up with our towels anyway. These low-cost fixes may suffice until you can add a bathroom later.
5 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 3:57PM
That must be so true, Michelle, that when there's only one bath, one doesn't take the time to get dressed there, but retreats to one's room to do that. Excellent idea to keep one's towel in one's room!
2 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 5:42PM
pcmom1
Funny, spent first ten years of life in a house where two adults and three kids shared one bath, but now it seems just not doable! Obviously it is.
1 Like   May 15, 2013 at 6:53PM
daphnamm23
@pcmom1 I hope it will not be 10 years for us, but if you did it I can do it too. We always had 2 bathrooms... So yes, it is very challenging now
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 6:58PM
rinqreation
Where I live it's normal to have one bathroom (shower/bath and sink) for the whole family and one small powder room (toilet+sink), but modern homes have a toilet in the bathroom too, thus a second toilet. They call it 1,5bath in the States, right?
2 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 1:28AM
momof5x
I would extend the sink area if you can towards the wall so more than one person can use it and that would give you extra storage space underneath too. See pics from Houzz below to get the idea:

Hudson River Duplex ( sink idea)

Druid Hills Renovation New Children's Bathroom in Attic ( sink idea 2)

Volunteer Park Residence 10 ( storage above sinks)

Bathrooms (storage idea above toilet)
1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 2:30AM
sinofaucet
Hi, daphnamm23, your bathroom is very cozy. I agree with ASVInteriors's suggestion adding a white shower curtain, a large white bath mat that will do double time for both sides very much. Maybe here will give you more advices. http://www.houzz.com/projects/48811/Shower-Curtain http://www.houzz.com/projects/62088/Bath-Mat-Rugs
Good luck.
1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 2:47AM
pcmom1
Rinqreation, that setup (shower room plus additional toilet room) makes so much sense! We over here are starting to move in that direction by having a toilet room within the bath room.

We saw a house once (shopping for vacation place) where there was a vanity with sink in a bedroom. Thought it was different to say the least, but would help with pressure to get into the bath to brush teeth!
2 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 8:28AM
joansahmed
Put a nice light tile floor in, something like this white and black tile, get a pedestal sink to make it look less crowded and go with the white wainscotting as shown in several of the bathrooms suggested. Put a nice white roman shade. Upgrade your bath and had a good shower head system.
1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 9:01AM
daphnamm23
@pcmom1 I had an apartment like that. There was a vanity in the room with Hollywood lights... Good idea I could do my make up while my kids are using the sink
1 Like   May 16, 2013 at 9:10AM
daphnamm23
Thank you everyone for all the help. I am excited now about all we can do with the bathroom :)) so many great ideas
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 9:26AM
pcmom1
What rooms back up to the plumbing?
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 9:45AM
daphnamm23
@pcmom1 a stair way and kitchen
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 10:18AM
pcmom1
Perhaps a small powder room could be fit under the stairway.
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 11:47AM
daphnamm23
Those stairs go to the second floor and they also let you into the baseman. Looks like the kitchen was added later
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 12:01PM
rinqreation
How big is your second floor? And when lengthening the toilet pipe upwards (ideal situation), is there space for a second bath/toilet?

Pcmom; older houses here had a sink in the bedroom, because at first there were no bathrooms. People washed in the bedroom, kitchen or backyard. Later came small indoor tubs or showers in closet sized rooms with tiles or concrete enamel and mostly terrazzo floors. And people installed toilets, also closet size, mostly no sink (large houses had a sink in the hallway) instead of the outhouse. So overtime people seem to join those functions into one room. In Europe just the shower and sink at first, but now also adding toilets. Where in the post-war US it was more common to give every room it's own bath, I guess. Here it's getting more and more common in new construction to build a full bathroom (with a separate shower and tub!) and a powder room.
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 12:42PM
daphnamm23
There is a closed above the bathroom where we are thinking to build a bathroom. Here we have a outhouse...but I am not even considering that lol
Thank for that great explanation. I just learned a lot.
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 12:49PM
rinqreation
Outhouses are quite handy for big stinkies.. But I understand completely.

A second yet simple bathroom with toilet, shower and sink would be such a luxury for you then! ;)
3 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 1:09PM
OnePlan
big stinkies ! OMG I'm laughing so much I think I my have to go to the bathroom !
3 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 1:27PM
Certainly sent me to sleep smiling!
3 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 2:27PM
daphnamm23
Big Stinkies! Lol hhahaha.... I hope I will never know lol

Gee no "closed" closet
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 2:39PM
rinqreation
:)
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 11:42PM
LB Interiors
I like all the comments that mentioned a double sink, and blue or teal accents with white. The only other thing that you may want to consider is I feel the wainscotting is too high in a small bathroom. It can tend to make you feel more closed in.

Take another look at some of the baths that were posted above. The wainscotting can be lowered to just above the sink backsplash.

I know it can be done. Carefully remove the wainsotting and trims. Cut it lower and put back up. Just a thought.

If you leave the shower curtain open, the room will feel larger. I would paint the ceiling the same color as the upper wall as long as you choose soft light colors.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 12:04AM
LB Interiors
I agree, paint the cabinets and door white. You may want to mirror inside the raised panels of the door. Mirrors always create more visual space.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 12:09AM
LB Interiors
Also add a tall white cabinet above the toilet for storage.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 12:12AM
pcmom1
This may be out of budget for now, but thinking that if you put the toilet by the window you could put another sink where toilet is now. Add a pocket door and the tub/shower and toilet could have privacy while there would still be a sink available for others to teeth brush.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 9:31AM
Need help for my living room in my apartment
Hello I need help choosing paints for my living room....
rgreen04
1950 bathroom
Should I change tub from aqua to white or tile from...
wedding831
Central pendants dilemma
Here's a very good example of our interior design approach...
VANGUARD development
spencerbetz
Need ideas for window treatment
My son( 18 years old) is redecorating his music studio...
sondramartina