Need help turning BF's Bachelor Pad into Comfy Couple's Apartment
nbuchho1
I've moved in with my boyfriend's great flat in London and we're trying to make it a home for the both of us. I am from the US and he is English so we were trying to play up the red, white, and blue theme to combine the Union Jack with some Americana accents.

He has got a lot of furniture and technology in that one room but we are hoping to make the most of it. The first thought would be to add some color and furnishings to make it a little cozier.

Do you have any suggestions on how we might transform this from a dark room into something a bit more welcoming?
queenofallthings
I am not sure about the TV placement; seems to be awkward to watch from the couch. Can you move it further down the wall and place it on a nice piece of furniture (gives you storage and helps to hide all the wires)? Don't go with black - there's too much already. A big light colored rug will help tone down all the black. Red will give you splashes of color, but white, black and red is a very masculine look (not a bad look, just a masculine one). I love spring green and turquoise with black.
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 9:25AM
nbuchho1
@qeenofallthings Thanks for those tips! I do agree the placement is awkward but it swivels so when you're watching it, it turns in so you can view it easily from the sofa. We were thinking about painting the back wall a blue and going for a cream colored shag carpet for near the sofa and under the coffee table. Going for more of a blue cream and black with hints of red? Though you're right, spring green could be great!
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 9:30AM
nbuchho1
perhaps this could be a good color scheme? with the blue being the small accent wall in the back left and around the borders of the glass walls
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 9:35AM
I'd be wanting to move the seating away from the window to allow more light in - when there is any in England!
This homeowner incorporated a bit of each culture without going overboard, or maybe just a nod with a couple of well-placed theme pillows would do. Deluxe Cottage Living in the Hills of OC
Traditional Pillows
0 Likes   May 15, 2013 at 10:17AM
janroze
Loks like you have 3 tables in a row. Get rid of one, it's too crowded.. Put sofa on TV wall and TV on opposite wall. Don't go overboard with the themed stuff or it will look like a dorm room. Try a red rug or a huge pattern in red, white, blue and yellow. Some print pillows in the same colors, a white throw. Use a red table runner and cobalt glass ware and white dishes. Add yellow drapes, 2 pillows and flowers on the table to break up the flag look and add cheerfulness.
1 Like   October 12, 2014 at 4:19PM
I'm looking for the coolest bachelor pad for an nyc apartment. help!
I want to live in an awesome bachelor pad but don't...
Chad Stark
Need a little bachelor pad help
So I just moved into a new apartment and I'm trying...
Mike Conroy
Bachelor pad needs help!
My 30 year old brother recently bought a brand new,...
ng999
Houzz Help! New Bachelor Pad needs some assistance!!
I close escrow on my first place this coming week,...
amg7
Need help dividing my BACHELOR apartment- I have a few ideas.
I live in a 550 sq ft bachelor apartment. I have lived...
Laurie Gaal
Eco Friendly Fabric Source?
Hello, I'm planning to have a couch custom made and...
Tammy Devlin_Wepps
Dining Room Rug Dilemma
Hi, Have always had trouble deciding on a rug that...
lifestylere
HELP! What would you do in this kitchen?
we are looking at redoing our kitchen. we want new...
crioux13
13" RH benson pendants too big??
So I got a great deal on these 13"satin nickel benson...
timglidden
Reno Cost
Anybody want to guess the cost of a complete Reno?...
Amanda Konersmann