Walk out basement needs a facelift
debgarda
Suggestions needed for this room are mostly around color, furniture layout and flooring. The current flooring is a berber but the adjacent area (behind blue love seat) is tile which I plan to change to an engineered hardwood or perhaps even the tile that looks like hardwood. I am not sure whether it is better to have uniform color and flooring throughout all of it to make it appear larger or vary between the two main parts to separate function.

Picture 1: Coming down the stairs (from the kitchen) to the left is just a storage area that will remain that way. The living space is to the right and also behind the staircase

Picture 2: The entertainment center must stay - is a nice newer espresso stained wood. The blue chair on left and light colored furniture at the far end of the room can go but the leather love seat and leathr oversized chair and hassock are in really good shape so if they could be incorporated into new design that would be ideal.
This is a walk out basement but the wooden shuttered window at the end of this part of the room is looking at the bottom of bushes - nothing pretty.

Picture 3: Looking out toward the walkout-doors you see a table and chair set that I want to keep but there is a custom-made but dated maple 'dry sink' (which can go or be painted) to the left of the table and beyond it are oak cabinets and counter/sink for a small wet bar. Open to changing all of that - at minimum updating to granite.
The reason for the coat tree holding beach towels to the left of the doors is that the doors open to a deck with a hot tub on it.

Picture 4: Created a small seating area but the oddity is that the full bathroom is on the right between the white couch and oak entertainment center. The couch is a sofa sleeper which as seen hardly any use and having it near the bath room makes it decent for overnight guests, but while the upholstery is in great shape I feel the camel-back sofa is dated.. I have an off white shag rug currently in front of that couch. Need to change lighting and figure out whether to keep this space as a seating area and what to do with entertainment center..Seems it would be a nice game area once I have grandchildren.. but currently just adults use most of this space.
Definitely will be removing the sconces and that end table/lamp beside sofa.
Would like to put elliptical back here but ceiling is not high enough to use it in that part.

The dimension of the carpeted area is 30x13. The area behind the blue leather loveseat is tiled. It's dimensions are 30 x 11, plus the area near the doors which is 9x5. In the tiled area, we will definitely be keeping the table and chairs and the two shag rugs.
Regarding the flooring, I think it looks more cohesive and spacious to have the same flooring throughout. I would even consider a luxury vinyl "wood planks" throughout. New lighting and maybe staining the oak furniture an espresso color would complement the entertainment center. What is missing from your space is pattern. How about an area rug of blue/cream chevron for an updated look? Also, one more introduction of color would be more "fun". Orange? Yellow? Lime Green? for accents and art. You can do "Color block" areas to define the spaces instead of different flooring to define the area. Here is a sample of an apple green with the blue. Maybe the green in the "guest bed/sofa" area.

May 15, 2013 at 11:59AM   
debgarda
I love blue and yellow together - but all those colors are good candidates - thanks for the suggestion.. would you look at the currently tiled area as one area or two ? And would you see any positives in making all areas same wall color or do you definitely think should go with different? I am totally open to the floor plan and whether to view this space as one, two, or three areas.
May 15, 2013 at 1:02PM   
Pre Drilled Holes Or Counter Drilled Holes?
Help please! I am in the throws of remodeling. My much...
fireplace ideas!?
should I hang a painting or leave it clean? I need...
Boring balcony, ideas for an unused space
We have a balcony that is rarely used and are hoping...
Need backsplash suggestions
I recently had new countertops installed. (Palisades...
How would you spend $10k to improve this kitchen?
I would love to hear you advice! We are finally ready...