Design Help for My Bowling Alley Layout Living Room
hunterb867
My living room is an awkward 26 ft long with a fireplace in the middle of the room and need help on layout that will minimize the big, long, bowling alley feel to it.
colonialgp
Gosh, wish I had this kind of long room. The beams are fantastic and your fireplace and mantle are lovely.

One idea: put two sofas, or sofa and two chairs in front of fireplace with small rug and coffee table. Place the table currently in front of window, if not too tall, behind sofa with lamps, books, plants, collectibles, etc. Place your desk so it's perpendicular to one of the FP windows, with another lamp on it . Add another seating arrangement, say two chairs with a small table between in front of the picture window. Or place a case piece there with occasional chairs on either side. The other end of the room could hold a table and a couple of chairs for reading or card playing. Add curtains and rugs to tie it together, along with some art on the walls.
May 15, 2013 at 5:12pm     
Nancy McFalls
I agree with @colonialgp - you want to create zones so all of the space is used.

I think it would be interesting to put a love seat perpendicular to the fireplace, with its back to the windows (but away from them). Leave enough space to walk in front of the fireplace, over to the windows. Push the desk up against the back of the love seat. The person using the desk will not have their back to the room (personally I hate having people look over my shoulder, and this can help a parent get stuff done while keeping their eyes on their kids). To make a cozier working area, place a tall plant in the corner and a lamp and books/bookends on the desk to add a little height that serves a purpose.

Then, facing the fireplace, another sofa. Sounds like the space can handle a long one. The l-shape formed by the sofa and love seat should be pretty inviting. Oh, a sectional could work too if you don't mind bulky furniture. I like the other poster's idea abut the table behind the sofa - not sure this configuration would leave enough room, though.

I'm not sure what the approach to this area looks like. You could do a club chair or two, completing a u-shaped seating area. Individual chairs could be moved easily or walked around. Or if this space abuts an open kitchen, it might be nice to leave it a bit more open, as an l-shape.

I definitely agree with @colonialgp about a rug to further define the seating space.
May 15, 2013 at 7:24pm   
row_014
Please post some pics of how you go and what you decide... this is a beautiful room
May 16, 2013 at 2:28pm   
DMH DESIGN
Hunter, Nice room, but we all need another photo opposite the fireplace, and a width of the room. This is a great space, and I have no doubt you'll get great advice from me and the rest of the Houzzers!
May 16, 2013 at 3:08pm   
mjnettleton
I have a long bowling alley living room as well. I divided in into three area-entry/living room/small pub table and chairs. I used a rug for the living room area, which I places in front of the fire place.

What about some fabulous drapes to draw attention to the window?
May 16, 2013 at 3:53pm   
There may be those beams are not structural and were added for decor. If so, remove them. If structural, paint them white. Remove the sconces. Paint the room white (your trim color) in matte finish. Plantation shutters on the windows.

Two sofas, facing each other, perpindicular to the windows flanking the fireplace. Table behind each sofa Colorful rug under the coffee table and lots of throw pillows to bring in color.

May 16, 2013 at 4:15pm   
Help...living room bowling alley!
I have this design dilemma: my living room is shaped...
Too long and narrow...how do you design a bowling alley living space?
We just bought a house and the main living space looks...
Master bedroom lacks balance!
Hello! I have a long size bed and night tables that...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
Window treatment yes or no
Our master to look out to a private backyard. Is it...
Just Moved! Stumped by large, open wall area!
Hi all - Please help! My husband and I just moved to...
How do I re-fit an old sink?
I have two old sinks, one of which I would love to...