Need advice
ruralchick
May 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a natural pine ceiling. We're thinking of going white pine wainscoting with vertical boards, then finish the wall to the ceiling with natural pine going horizontal. What would that look like?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
bluenan
How high are your ceilings? Is your pine ceiling also beadboard, and if so, how wide is each piece? Will the horizontal natural wall blend into the ceiling, or run perpendicular? I think three different treatments might look a bit busy. I have floor to ceiling wide tongue and groove paneling painted white in one room, vertical white beadboard dado in my kitchen, and 3/4 high tongue and groove painted paneling in my mudroom. I have a lot of wood used with different treatments in different rooms, but I'm having a bit of trouble picturing your room. Any pictures? I've found examples of using different sized and directional paneling and beadboard, but nothing in the way you're describing.
Timmons Residence
Structures Building Company
Hall/Kitchen/Stairs
Bathroom
Shingle Style home on Golf Course
Entry
May 15, 2013 at 6:52pm   
ruralchick
The ceilings are 13 feet high. It would look like the picture of Shingle Style home (above) but instead of the brown wall, that would be pine. That pine on the wall would blend into the ceiling. We just want to do the wainscoting to break up the wood. We feel it would be too much wood if the walls and the ceiling and the floors were all a natural wood.
May 15, 2013 at 6:56pm   
bluenan
Wow, 13' is a high ceiling! I would suggest a high wainscot to balance out the height of the ceiling and cut down on too much brown. Also painting white and varying the material by using different widths of wood like the Shingle Style picture wainscot might help to ground the wall and bring your eye down a bit. I think it's a really interesting idea and could make for a very cool room if done right.
May 15, 2013 at 7:12pm